PDA

View Full Version : Your Wish Is My Command.....Barn Quilts

Leah53
June 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
]Here's what you asked for :D Just a few for your viewing pleasure. The first one I'm also making a queen size quilt out of that block. I guess you can't delete pictures, that 16 pt orange, yellow and green one isn't supposed to be there, it looks bad in the pic but fine in person.

77821 77818

77820 [ATTACH=CONFIG]77817[/ATTACH

bubba
June 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......love the one w/blue corners!!!!! That is also one of my favorite blocks to sew!

Andrea F
June 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM
Ohhhhh pretty! All of them.

kensington
June 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
DH and I were just talking about Barn Quilts this weekend. He planted a bunch of rose bushes for me and I was telling him I wanted one of these. I have my block picked out and as soon as I can get my son over here on a ladder to draw it on for me... I'm painting it! Hopefully within a week or two.

ldnanny3
June 2nd, 2014, 07:47 PM
Amazing, but curious our quilting group recently bought one for the lady who owns the quilt shop where we meet for her birthday, very disappointed in the quality of the painting on it, it had seeped under the tape and looked terrible. We paint like 113.00 and it was a 3ft. square, is that about right. I am going to make one for me.

Leah53
June 2nd, 2014, 08:02 PM
It's very hard to get sharp crisp lines without some seepage, that's what touch ups are for, we do the best with can and hope it's good enough. Wood has flaws, humans have flaws, if it was perfect God would have made it, since we made it it has character.

Mine are 2x2 and I charge $75. DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT SELLING ON THE FORUM. :D

I was surprised at how much it takes to make one, the frame has to be sturdy, the molding, the painting, the repainting, paint some more, the touch ups, polyurethane, more polyurethane an polyurethane again, it's a process for sure.

Quiltlover
June 3rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Ok, thanks for the info about size and process. I had asked a question on the previous thread and then I found this. Think you should do really well selling those!

ldnanny3
June 3rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
yes, thank you for the info, I realize how difficult it is to paint and then it has to be weather resistant, or at least somewhat so the price sounds very reasonable. Love them all.

EmmaB
June 3rd, 2014, 10:45 AM
I've been wanting to do one of these for my front porch but just like quilting I can't decide what pattern I want because I like them all!!

I especially like the red, white & blue pattern with the stars that you have done.

Leah53
June 3rd, 2014, 12:16 PM
With the price of oil paint has skyrocketed in price, another one of those things made with oil that when the price of oil goes down, the products don't, imagine that. Some people don't put a frame or trim on it, we do both, DH is a 30 yr plus carpenter so that gives us an advantage, they look nicer and are easier to hang.

I love the one on the sign post, which my DH also made, it's called the "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!", there's a story behind the name.

The history of Fifty-Four-Forty or Fight is as follows.

" In 1818, the United States and the United Kingdom (controlling British Canada) established a joint claim over the Oregon Territory - the region west of the Rocky Mountains and between 42 North and 5440' North (the southern boundary of Russia's Alaska territory).

Joint control worked for over a decade and a half but ultimately, the parties decided that joint occupancy wasn't working well so they set about to divide Oregon.

The 1844 Democratic presidential candidate James K. Polk ran on a platform of taking control over the entire Oregon Territory and used the famous campaign slogan, "Fifty-four Forty or Fight!" (after the line of latitude serving as the northern boundary of Oregon at 5440')."

rebeccas-sewing
June 3rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
I wonder how well that Frog tape would work to hold down the seepage. Also if you switch to a stencil brush and pounce on the paint near the tape that might help avoid adding too much paint which is the reason it seeps.

Leah53
June 3rd, 2014, 12:56 PM
We tried frog tape, not much better. I like your idea of using a stencil brush around the edges but would it clash with the brush strokes? I've also tried to convince DH to use a roller instead of a brush but he doesn't like the idea.

Monique
June 4th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Very nice indeed.

Leah53
June 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Rebecca, DH thinks the primer has some little bumps in it so next one he's going to lightly sand down the primer and see if that works. Yes, he sands the wood before priming.