PDA

View Full Version : :icon_bigsmile: visiting the USA

Andrea F
June 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
I'm so excited because on Friday afternoon, I'll collect my little baby sister (she's 12 years younger than me), get on a plane (I really hate to fly!) and come over for a visit to New York City. We've been planning this girls trip for quite a while now and it's finally going to happen. For the past six months or so I had a piggy bank on my desk at home where I saved many 1 and 2 Euro coins to have some extra play money. I am so looking forward to spend some time (and money) at Mood and and at the City Quilter and at the NYU book store and at Barnes and Noble, which I all love.

I am pretty nervous though because for the first time I don't have DH with me. I let him do all the talking when we are travelling because he is used to actually speak English whereas I am not. Well, I figure if I don't understand what people say I let them write it down and if they don't understand me I'm gonna do the same. That should work.

I only have to sleep four more times :D

Did I mention that I hate to fly???

Jean Sewing Machine
June 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
You'll have a blast! Take video games to play on the plane! I flew to Austria/Germany last November and was afraid of the trip, but it wasn't so bad. I flew Austrian Air over and Lufthansa back home, they made the trip very comfortable! Much better than American airlines!

Hulamoon
June 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
Well your writing is perfect! I always wanted to go to New York, but at Christmas time. It looks so pretty. I'm sure you will find lot's of people to help. That's the #1 melting pot. Take pictures of Mood and that little doggie in the store for us. Have fun!

K. McEuen
June 2nd, 2014, 05:36 PM
You should look up NY Sue! She is in that neck of the woods.

Enjoy your trip!

Vonnie
June 2nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Make sure you take an extra suitcase for fabric!

Do you know what you can take and not worry about customs/taxes?

I bet there are several forum members here who can tell you where all the good quilt stores are.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

bubba
June 2nd, 2014, 05:53 PM
To save bus riding or taxi rides, the subway sells passes good for the week. When I went w/my friend seven years ago, they were only $24 for unlimited rides! Can't beat that deal. Also, if you are into the museums, you can buy a city pass for just over $100 that gets you into several of the museums, a city or boat tour and the empire state building. It was also well worth it!

MayinJerset
June 2nd, 2014, 06:13 PM
Sounds like a trip of a lifetime so you and your baby sister will surely enjoy yourselves. I'm a New York person going to shows, museums and just walking around the city and then to Little Italy for lunch or dinner finishing by buying some Italian cookies to take home for dessert. Lots of street fairls on the weekends. This is the best time of the year to visit also, not too hot or too cold. You can get inexpensive theatre tickets early in the day of the performance so check that out. Have a great time.

auntiemern
June 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
How exciting for you. You really should look up Sue and May...nothing like meeting forum friends.

Andrea F
June 2nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
Jean, how did you like Germany and was it difficult with the language? Do you speak a bit of German? I'm going to take my iPad with me so I should be occupied for a while.

Pat, thanks for the tip! I knew about the subway ticket but not about the city pass. I hope to visit the museum of modern arts. And I'm definitely going to take DS on that bus tour and on the river cruise. I'll look that pass up.

Vonnie, I have a really big suitcase with lots of space left in it because I don't need so much stuff for one week. We are allowed to take goods for 450 Euros (ca. 600$) back home without paying taxes. I guess I won't buy that much fabric and books.

Lorie, I sure will take some pictures and see if I can find that little dog at Mood. New York at christmas time must be awesome. I would love to see that big christmas tree and all the lights. But Thomas doesn't want to go, it's too cold in December.

It would be great if I get the chance to actually meet and chat with someone from the forum.

Mae and Sue, if you have some time next week and would like to meet for a chat, tell me where I can find you! I would be happy to meet you! :icon_happy:

Monique
June 2nd, 2014, 10:07 PM
Have a wonderful trip.

Lilly
June 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
I was there three years ago and loved the "hop on - hop off" busses. For a single price you can explore one of the 4 or 5 regions of the city for a set number of hours. My GF and I scheduled our time on the busses with the subways into the city and we saw one whole area each day - stopping to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, and to see an off Broadway play, and Wall street, and the museums and etc. We woke up VERY early one morning, took the subway and arrived at the Today Show in time to be in the front row. I didn't know about fabric back then or maybe I'd have had to miss a few things to find those fabric stores. LOL.