• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MayinJerset
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Chilly Night Owl

The days may be warm and sunny but the nights are still quite cold. Window is open in this room but I don't want to close it because the fresh air really refreshes the house so I threw on a sweater. I'm half way through taking out my lighter clothes. Most of the stuff I've taken out so far are my 'at home' clothes, basically the stuff I wear around the house. They are presentable if someone comes to the door but nothing I'd like people to get a good look at. So far I've taken out 2 good outfits and at least 12 home ones so I think I better get myself out clothes shopping. Clothes shopping for myself isn't anywhere near the top of my list of things I like to do.

How about you? Do you have a shop or place where you get your clothes from? Or are you like me getting a top or two one place and some pants another place? Kohl's carries a brand Cathy something that I like and the sizes fit me well but there are never matching or coordinating pieces in my size in the Kohl's here. Sometimes I buy a top in Kohl's in my town and go to other local Kohl's hunting down pants to go with it. I tried ordering online and sometimes it works at very well and other times the clothes are too small or way too big.

PS: Forgot to put time I posted, about 2am
    Last edited by MayinJerset; June 2, 2014, 12:50 AM.
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: Chilly Night Owl

I'm a Night Owl tonight. Hi May!

Shopping for clothes is not easy around here. There is a Kohl's and a JC Penney (I don't like them anymore) and a Goody's about 45 minutes from here. I'm dress super casual now that I'm retired. I wear Jeans all winter and pedal pushers in the summer. We seldom go to fancy places but I have clothes for that. I wear sweatshirts in the winter and Tshirts in the summer...pretty simple. I don't have much luck shopping for clothes online.

I'm working on a new quilt for my DD that's just like one in my album called Luna Notte. She wants the same material, but I'm going to use different fabric for the borders.

The Girls woke me up at midnight to go outside and I couldn't get back to sleep.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• stationarymom
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

Hi I hate shopping for clothes for myself. I'm only about 4'11" i am somewhat heavy also and it seems that all designers think if you are heavy you are also tall. It is really difficult finding tops that are not to long or that do not shrink and become to short.
      :icon_wave:Joan

Comment

• Sheena
        The Guild President
        • Oct 2012

Most of my clothes are from the charity shop or hand me downs from my friend's son. I do a lot of DIY and paint and decorating, and gardening etc, so somebody else's clothes for £1 each or free are ideal. I begrudge spending money on something that's going to get ruined on the first wear!

I do have some very beautiful clothes for 'best', but as I rarely go out I only wear something nice on Christmas day.

Bubby - I'll look up Luna Notte........ Ooooo it's really pretty.

Comment

• MayinJerset
          Missouri Star
          • May 2012

Glad I'm not the only one who finds clothes shopping a pain. Maybe that's why we love buying fabric so much, one size fits all! LOL.

Sheena, went back and put approximate time I posted, which was about 2am. I used to do a lot of DYI and kept the stained, worn out and stretched clothes for painting inside and outside of the house and staining furniture and stuff like that.
          Joan - I'm heavy and 5'2" and have the same problem. Went into a woman's shop awhile back and first, they make their clothes much bigger than the same sizes in other lines of clothes and 2nd I also find them too long as if I were 5"10. They were almost all made of heavy poly knit which is much too heavy for summer wear.

Comment

• Bubby
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2011

I have the same trouble because I'm short. It's really frustrating and it seems like so many of the clothes are either ugly or too young. Sheena, I get my work shirts at the thrift shop and they only cost $1. I have a few nice ones and a few I cut up for scrap quilts.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• rebeccas-sewing
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2010

First of all, I don't buy anything new unless something goes first. I mostly wear jeans and shirt blouses and capris in summer. I have lots of sweaters that I've had for many moons. They seem to last forever. I've never been into trends so much of my stuff doesn't go out of style. I have some knit pants and some women's trousers for dressing up a bit. I can't remember the last time I wore a dress, although I wear skirts now and then.

I've been able to find some Lee jeans at Kohl's that I've worn to death. I tried buying some new ones, same brand, but they are out of that stretchy jean fabric that I really don't like. I like pants that sit at or slightly above my waist. They're very hard to find these days. I have actually had some luck with jeans from L.L.Bean. Some of my favorite shirt blouses are from Walmart (dare I say that?) and I've gotten some very nice ones from Talbots (on sale) and Jones New York (mostly finding them at places like TJMaxx).

I just wish designers would pay more attention to our generation when it comes to jeans. I guess the reason the young people get most of the attention is because they are easily sucked into the trendy stuff and will pay the money. When I was young there wasn't money for all of that. Mom made most of our clothes. Going clothes shopping was something that only happened on very infrequent occasions.

I'm also somewhat of a hippie at heart and as many of you know clothes during the Vietnam era were quite casual. Nothing changed for me in that department. Gosh, I remember protesting to be able to wear jeans on campus. Those were the days when you weren't aloud into the dining hall unless you had on a dress or a skirt. Boys were aloud in our dorm only on Sundays for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Doors had to be open and at least one foot on the floor. I won't go into all the stories about how we snuck out of the dorm at night to go hang with the boys. hahaha

The girl who lived in the room at the end of our hall had a steady. He would sneak up to her room. We'd have these really stupid hall-sitting celebrations when anyone got engaged (I thought they were so ridiculous). The funny thing about these gatherings is her boyfriend would put on her bathrobe and her shower cap and come sit with us during these little events. I found it very amusing especially since he had a beard. ahahaha Oh the stories I could tell.
              Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; June 2, 2014, 01:46 AM.
              Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

• Doloris
                Missouri Star
                • May 2012

Over the last year or so I have lost 50 lbs, so I buy most of my pants, capris, and even some shorts (haven't worn shorts for years) at the thrift stores. I have gone from a tight size 16 down to an 8 or 10. Can't see paying big bucks for clothes I will only wear for a month or 2. My shirts I sometimes pick up there too, but I do buy them new a lot. I am avg/tall and seems like all the shirts in thrift stores are too short. I am down to a weight I am more comfortable with so I might start buying new. I like WalMart, Kohls, KMart, and most stores like that. I don't dress up much, but do need a few dress clothes as sometimes when visiting DS in DC his GF and I will go to the theater.
                Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

Working...
                X