PDA

View Full Version : How to find fabric

Beverly
June 26th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I sashed around blocks with a fabric that I would really like to include as the binding or further out in the border, unfortunatly, I have no idea where or when I bought this fabric. I have googled 'quilting fabric tiny berries' and other descriptions like adding 'pink flower' to this but cannot locate what I am looking for. Any ideas?

patticakes
June 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Maybe this would help?
http://www.findmyfabric.com/about/

wendyw1
June 27th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Patticakes I just checked out this site.. AWESOME... I needed to find some fabric a few months ago to finish a quilt and it took me hours on the pc to find it. I just typed autumn leaves in here and found it on page 2 !!!! I will be using this in the future... Thanks so much

Susan M
June 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Great link! Thanks Patti.

Sandy Navas
June 27th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I sashed around blocks with a fabric that I would really like to include as the binding or further out in the border, unfortunatly, I have no idea where or when I bought this fabric. I have googled 'quilting fabric tiny berries' and other descriptions like adding 'pink flower' to this but cannot locate what I am looking for. Any ideas?

In addition to Patti's link, do you have any markings on the selvage edge that may help?

Beverly
June 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
I had ripped the selvages off (YIKES). I took a lap quilting class in 1983 and the teacher had us washing the fabric, ripping to get on the straight and ripping off the (informative) selvages. Recently I learned of the waste of doing this and this is a prime example of 'what not to do'.
I also learned a few years ago the price paid for inexpensive quilting fabric. I had been collecting quilt store fabric for a log cabin quilt and the weekend I jumped into action to piece it found that I needed one more fabric. Drove to my local Wally World and found the perfect design (Thought was: I don't want to drive 10 more miles to a quilt store). For a very short time the (King Size) quilt was beautiful - until the batting started coming thru ONLY the Wally World pieces. I have said many times I should cut it up, put labels on the differrent fabrics saying Quilt Shop Fabric (on those) and Not Quilt Shop Fabric (on the cursed one) and send it to quilt stores to display as an example of quality and not to waste your time if you aren't using good fabric.

meemeecyn
June 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, I know what you mean about the difference in quality, Beverly. Learned the hard way!

Beverly
June 29th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Oh Joy!! I have located this fabric, it is RJR 5512-T - from Thimbleberries Circle of Love and have ordered 2 yards!!! Thank you for this site to find fabrics.