PDA

View Full Version : Twisted my ankle and can't sew, but did other things I thought I'd tell you about!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 12:17 AM
I feel off of my sneakers last weekend and twisted my ankle pretty bad. Needless to say I have been sitting alot and not at the sewing machine all week! So.. since I could be at the PC and prop my foot up... I wrote 2 articles about other things that I am addicted to....handmade crafts and hummingbirds!

How to Enjoy Hummingbirds on Your Patio (http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-enjoy-hummingbirds-on-your-patio-21001)

How To Make Homemade Craft Clay (http://www.squidoo.com/how-to-make-homemade-clay)

And I worked on my Fabric and Memories blog..having trouble with the "Follow By Email" feature. Seems Blogger/Google doesn't like my yahoo addys, but likes others yahoo addys! But I did a little fix up on the posts and things like that. Wrote a new post about the hopscotch quilt I made and will publish soon.

Funny thing... I didn't miss sewing! I have been in the room a bit just cause it "drew" me there, and I cluttered around, but not a bit of an urge to do anything! I figure the foot pedal with my right injured foot would not be the thing to do! I have a few things lined up to make..but need pattern for one and the other is alot of cutting and walking back and forth to the kitchen table, so...maybe next week I'll be back in that room and won't come out!

What I can't understand is... how can people just sit in front of that TV for literally hours on end without doing anything? There are so few shows that are worth watching (I watch Cupcake Wars and things on the FOod Network and TLC mostly) but still...how can they just sit and stare? I had to do that for 2 days straight and thought I"d go out of my mind! My husband does it on weekends, now that he is working. Before when he wasn't working and now on weekends, he does literally sit there all day long...flipping channels and watching junk. I just can't get how one sits for hours and just stares! Ok, enuf venting! Will be nice to get back to the sewing machine, hopefully next week!

MaryD
June 1st, 2014, 02:14 AM
I can't sit infront of the TV either without some knitting or similar.

Now's the time you should have had some applique to do - bad timing! Hope your ankle is machine-worthy soon

stationarymom
June 1st, 2014, 02:18 AM
sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you heal quickly.I also understand your wondering about sitting for hr on end but sadly I have become one of those people.I have epilepsy and can't drive and was put on disability yrs ago because my seizures had become more severe and more involved.sadly it seems that watching tv for hrs is something that I slowly got more used to doing without work to do or kids to raise any more.

MayinJerset
June 1st, 2014, 04:16 AM
You certainly put your time out from sewing to good use. There are times I've taken "time out' from sewing but haven't been as productive as you have been. Hope the ankle gets better soon.

icul8rg8r
June 1st, 2014, 04:25 AM
I injured my right foot last summer and then nerves still twitch and ache making it difficult if not impossible to operate the foot pedal without pain ... but I discovered my Pfaff sewing machine has a start / stop button and I now can sew to my hearts content with just a push of a button! No need for the foot pedal!

rebeccas-sewing
June 1st, 2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks so much for sharing those links. I've saved the clay one in my craft bookmarks. Who know? Maybe one day I'll have some grandkids so we can play with clay. As to hummingbirds, they are the favorite bird that comes into my yard. We live in Southern CA and they definitely enjoy all the lusciousness that plants provide in our area. I'm sad to say that since our citrus trees have all died (except for one) I don't think we have as many of them in our yard. I think when Joe and I move back I'm going to have to buy a feeder and see if I can attract them back to visit us. We also have a cat now. She may be a reason as well for why we don't see as many. That little stinker is so fast that I have actually seen her pounce on and kill a bird. I was not happy with her when she brought the poor little thing to me at the back door. She stays very entertained with all the lizards but that's okay since we were starting to see way too many of them. She's such a character. I think I've mentioned before that she steals things from other people's yards and presents them to me with her special "look what I brought you meow."

rebeccas-sewing
June 1st, 2014, 05:58 AM
As to folks sitting in front of the TV for hours on end, I would go bonkers too. Not to mention how unhealthy that behavior is. It's bad for one's mind and extremely bad for one's body. Joe and I don't usually turn on the TV until a couple of hours before bed. That's our relaxing time that we spend together every night since both of us are doing our own thing during the daytime hours. We rarely watch anything on the TV since most of it is totally worthless. What shows we do watch are usually on Netflix or DVD series that we purchase. We enjoy some of the British series. There are definitely some programs that are worthy of watching. Right now we're hooked on "Suits." Some others we watch are "Big Bang Theory," "Bones," and "Castle." Sometimes "NCIS? with Mark Harmon. That's about it. We've stopped watching the programs on regular TV for the most part. Sitting through commercials gets so annoying when they keep throwing the same commercials at us over and over. What has happened? It was bad enough to be barraged with a bunch of commercials as in the past but at least there was some variety. Over here (maybe in US too) every time the commercials come on it's just repeats of the same stuff. I think advertising must have grown to be so expensive that only a very few companies can afford to place ads.

Sylvia H
June 1st, 2014, 06:05 AM
Hoping your ankle recovers quickly. While I rarely just sit and watch TV, it is often on as background noise in my house. There are several shows that I really enjoy, but I find myself watching even them in my sewing room while I am working on something.

Bubby
June 1st, 2014, 06:28 AM
I hope your ankle mends quickly. We are hummingbird fans also. We don't have much color around their area but we have dozens of hummers all the time. My recipe for their nectar is 3 cups water to 1 cup sugar and I bring it to a boil. I add a drop or two of red food color so I can tell at a glance when the feeder needs filling. I also endorse glass feeders. Our birds begin feeding as I carry the feeder toward the post. Jeff says that if I was the Statue of Liberty I would be holding a hummingbird feeder rather than a torch!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:35 PM
sorry to hear about your fall. I hope you heal quickly.I also understand your wondering about sitting for hr on end but sadly I have become one of those people.I have epilepsy and can't drive and was put on disability yrs ago because my seizures had become more severe and more involved.sadly it seems that watching tv for hrs is something that I slowly got more used to doing without work to do or kids to raise any more.
Sorry to hear of your situation. But at least you have a reason and if you could, you would be doing something else. I guess I refer to those that are just to lazy to get up and do something...or even do while watching!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM
Thanks so much for sharing those links. I've saved the clay one in my craft bookmarks. Who know? Maybe one day I'll have some grandkids so we can play with clay. As to hummingbirds, they are the favorite bird that comes into my yard. We live in Southern CA and they definitely enjoy all the lusciousness that plants provide in our area. I'm sad to say that since our citrus trees have all died (except for one) I don't think we have as many of them in our yard. I think when Joe and I move back I'm going to have to buy a feeder and see if I can attract them back to visit us. We also have a cat now. She may be a reason as well for why we don't see as many. That little stinker is so fast that I have actually seen her pounce on and kill a bird. I was not happy with her when she brought the poor little thing to me at the back door. She stays very entertained with all the lizards but that's okay since we were starting to see way too many of them. She's such a character. I think I've mentioned before that she steals things from other people's yards and presents them to me with her special "look what I brought you meow."
Well if you read the article..you saw I have next to no vegetation of any kind in my yard..and I am in the high desert (up over Cajon Pass). If they will come to me...I know they will come to ORange County if given a reason! The cat might be an issue...although if up high enough, they could eat and the cat couldn't get to them. If you are there now, you ought to put a feeder or two out by the tree that is still there or hang on the eave of your house and see what happens! And I am getting those lizards too.. I know they keep some other bugs away, but there are so many now that the babies are growing up that were laid in the spring months. As long as they don't get into my house, I can tolerate them.

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:43 PM
I hope your ankle mends quickly. We are hummingbird fans also. We don't have much color around their area but we have dozens of hummers all the time. My recipe for their nectar is 3 cups water to 1 cup sugar and I bring it to a boil. I add a drop or two of red food color so I can tell at a glance when the feeder needs filling. I also endorse glass feeders. Our birds begin feeding as I carry the feeder toward the post. Jeff says that if I was the Statue of Liberty I would be holding a hummingbird feeder rather than a torch!
That's cool Bubby! I stopped using the food coloring but did have the problem of being able to see the water level of clear water, so I put a fishing bob in..the kind they put on the fishing line to hold the line up so the bate dangles in the water. I can see that just fine and know when to change, although during last summer I was changing it literally every 2 days! I do want to get a red one tho..the bright yellow and black one I have is okay, but the red would be better to give more color to attract them. I hope mine learn to "like" me as yours like you! My grand daughters sits and hand feeds them.. I'll be adding videos to the article of this later this week. They like her! Do you do anything to add color to attract them? What state are you in?

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:45 PM
Hoping your ankle recovers quickly. While I rarely just sit and watch TV, it is often on as background noise in my house. There are several shows that I really enjoy, but I find myself watching even them in my sewing room while I am working on something.

That's how I am. I only have TV and DVD in my sewing room, but sometimes, just the noise is welcome..I put on The Andy Griffith Show or I Love Lucy DVD's and it just lightens the mood and the day and makes it a little more fun to sew! Other than that the only time I watch is at night when I go to bed, I DVR a few things and watch then...it helps me to fall asleep!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:49 PM
As to folks sitting in front of the TV for hours on end, I would go bonkers too. Not to mention how unhealthy that behavior is. It's bad for one's mind and extremely bad for one's body. Joe and I don't usually turn on the TV until a couple of hours before bed. That's our relaxing time that we spend together every night since both of us are doing our own thing during the daytime hours. We rarely watch anything on the TV since most of it is totally worthless. What shows we do watch are usually on Netflix or DVD series that we purchase. We enjoy some of the British series. There are definitely some programs that are worthy of watching. Right now we're hooked on "Suits." Some others we watch are "Big Bang Theory," "Bones," and "Castle." Sometimes "NCIS? with Mark Harmon. That's about it. We've stopped watching the programs on regular TV for the most part. Sitting through commercials gets so annoying when they keep throwing the same commercials at us over and over. What has happened? It was bad enough to be barraged with a bunch of commercials as in the past but at least there was some variety. Over here (maybe in US too) every time the commercials come on it's just repeats of the same stuff. I think advertising must have grown to be so expensive that only a very few companies can afford to place ads.
Do you live at my house? That is exactly how I feel. My husband is a "sitter" and the only things he watches are violent, killing, murders, sex, rapes and anything horrific and gorey. the ID channel even has re-enactments of real crimes! And even regular shows...just to much violence and sex going on to be enjoyable entertainment. And I have noticed..on the cable channels, the commericals are for health issues...medications, ailments and stuff like that. I get depressed and achy just listening to them! I know they might help some learn about things, but still...they recite the side effects or who/when you should not take the meds and that is longer than the commercial itself..to the point I forget what med they were talking about, the sideeffects are so many!
Then last week, I watched regular local channels, and their commercials are all about food - no medical/health issues!
What happened to the cute ones like the oscar meyer weiner truck and the pillsbury dough boy and twinke man etc!!!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:51 PM
I injured my right foot last summer and then nerves still twitch and ache making it difficult if not impossible to operate the foot pedal without pain ... but I discovered my Pfaff sewing machine has a start / stop button and I now can sew to my hearts content with just a push of a button! No need for the foot pedal!

I forgot..mine has that too! I did feel so much better 3 days later and ended up doing to much around the house and made it worse which put me on the sofa for 2 days in a row with ice pack. If I had remembered the pedal button..I'd probably tried to sew!

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:53 PM
You certainly put your time out from sewing to good use. There are times I've taken "time out' from sewing but haven't been as productive as you have been. Hope the ankle gets better soon.

I hate sitting down for long periods of time...except the sewing machine. Even then, I'll sew for about 1/2 hour and then have to get up and walk around. But it works okay...I'll sew...do some house work, sew, do some housework.

coffeebreak
June 1st, 2014, 04:54 PM
I can't sit infront of the TV either without some knitting or similar.

Now's the time you should have had some applique to do - bad timing! Hope your ankle is machine-worthy soon

I was surprised that I didn't miss the sewing machine! But I didn't have the urge at all to sew! I have been thinking for some time to pick embroidery back up, but my eyes have a hard time with that these days so I never commit to it!

Iris Girl
June 1st, 2014, 05:30 PM
Hope your ankle is feeling better. I sew for a spell then move to the comp for some time , then maybe dishes or light housework or laundry then back to sewing. Breaks it up. As for TV I rarely turn it on I like the cooking channel on occasion. My hubby will watch TV all day if hes home, he watches the stupidest shows in my opinion. A for the hummer we love ours too. I have 2 feeders atm going later will add the 3rd. I do make the mixture red so I can see when its getting low. We just love to watch then so entertaining. I make my mixture 4 to 1 and they seem to love it.

coffeebreak
June 2nd, 2014, 01:11 AM
Hope your ankle is feeling better. I sew for a spell then move to the comp for some time , then maybe dishes or light housework or laundry then back to sewing. Breaks it up. As for TV I rarely turn it on I like the cooking channel on occasion. My hubby will watch TV all day if hes home, he watches the stupidest shows in my opinion. A for the hummer we love ours too. I have 2 feeders atm going later will add the 3rd. I do make the mixture red so I can see when its getting low. We just love to watch then so entertaining. I make my mixture 4 to 1 and they seem to love it.
I'm getting a third feeder...I have at least one that always throws his little weight around and will guard the feeder and when a bird comes to the feeder, he will chase the bird away! I have binoculars at the kitchen window and get close ups...love seeing the brilliant colors of the feathers! I put a fishing bob in the water to see the water level.

Sheena
June 2nd, 2014, 03:53 AM
Cheri - I hope you're feeling better. Is that your hand with the humming bird on it? If so I'm being eatern up with jealousy! Your garden does look very dry so I'm surprised to see you have humming birds.

Pandabear
June 2nd, 2014, 07:49 AM
When I broke my toe, I used the foot pedal with my left foot. Took a bit of getting used to, but I did it.

I hope you feel better soon.

Monique
June 2nd, 2014, 08:21 AM
Feel better soon. I am keeping a watch on my hummingbird feeder as the ants keep getting into it.

buckeyequilter
June 2nd, 2014, 08:43 AM
Hope your ankle is better now :)

As for sitting in front of the TV....I had surgery, several years ago, and for 2 weeks I could only get up to shower / bathroom....nothing else. I did watch a lot of TV...actually got addicted to 3 afternoon shows (that took 1 1/2 hours of my time). As for now, I don't know when the last time was I actually watched TV.

Slokarma
June 2nd, 2014, 08:55 AM
Take your time with that ankle! I didn't stay off my ankle long enough to let it heal properly and now I'm reaping the rewards from being so obstinate. If I had to do it over again, I would have ordered one of those boots that you can buy on line and used it.....at least around the house as much as possible. I'll quit preaching now before i start foaming at the mouth....LOL

Yeah, most of TV stinks, I have my favorite programs and the summer series are starting up again. If you want an alternative to TV, try the old classic radio shows. I'm hooked! If you have Sirius, the have a channel for Classics, but now there are several apps that let you download some of the series. If you haven't heard Gunsmoke on the radio....WOW. Beats a lot of TV show all to heck. Robert Conrad is the Marshall and what a fantastic series! Johnny Dollar is another fav of mine. Six Shooter with Jimmy Stewart, Orson Welles and on and on...it's kind of amazing how relevant the story lines are.

By the way, they use the actual commercials that aired with the program. I'm hooked.

Andrea F
June 2nd, 2014, 05:19 PM
I hope your ankle heals quickly. We don't watch much of the normal TV program either. But we like to watch some TV shows on DVD. DH can sit in front of the TV for hours, I don't have the patience to sit for hours or sometimes even to watch a movie from start to finish. And if I lay down to watch something it takes about two minutes and I fall asleep.

Leah53
June 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM
Hope you heal quickly. I tried walking and chewing gum at the same time the other day, banged my arm up really bad, nothing broken but bruised from elbow to wrist and did a face plant on my sewing room floor.