PDA

View Full Version : I Saw an Ad on Craigslist. . .

Auntpiggylpn
May 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I was browsing my local Craigslist this morning and came across a somewhat vague ad. In fact all the ad said was "Quilting Material and Supplies". I figured this was someone who wasn't familiar with posting on Craigslist and probably quilting also. I sent off an email for more information and the seller replied promptly letting me know that the material was mostly flannels and her phone number. She also said that her daughter who was a quilter had passed away. I called the seller and she gave me directions to her home in the next town. She wanted to know if I wanted to come right away. I told her I would come at whatever time that was convenient to her. She told me they were having a garage sale tomorrow but that I should come today while they were setting up. It took me about 20 mins to get there. She told me that her daughter had passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago from cancer. After she was diagnosed, the daughter wanted something to do in the evenings so she decided she would take up quilting. She formed a sewing group consisting of other teachers from her school and they met at the daughters house every Tuesday until she passed. They only made rag quilts for charity. We shared some tears together and she told me to pick out what I wanted. I don't do a lot with flannels but I certainly didn't want to leave empty handed. I made a stack of things and figured I would have to put something's back after she gave me a price. She told me she wished I would just take all of it. I laughed and said I didn't bring enough money to buy all of it! She looked at my pile and said "Give me $10 and we will be square". I told her that was too little to pay and dug thru my wallet and found $18 and gave it to her. Her husband asked for my phone number and told me that after the sale is over, he will call me to come get what is left over. I'm feeling very blessed today; I felt very honored that this couple would share their very personal story of loss with me and I got a little fabric fix too; I choose 11 fabrics totaling 26.5 yards, 6 spools of Gutterman thread, and 2 queen-size Warm & Natural battings.

Edited to add: I will be donating the fabric to my quilting guild for use in our charity projects.

Miss Sheri
May 29th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Very Nice! The story was so sweet and sad. Maybe those flannels will get to be charity quilts after all?

GrammaBabs
May 29th, 2014, 07:40 PM
that is a wonderful story.... she found the right person for sure.. My Sister has similar experiences when she goes to yard sales and estate sales... she is on a very limited budget and has multiple health issues... so many people that are cleaning out after a death, or perhaps a move to nursing home,,, many senarios... sell their hobby things... My Sis makes "pot holder set" (actually they are hot pads),, and sells them for 5 and 7 dollars... but she get her fabric very cheap, and sometimes for free... so it's just a way for her to put a little extra on the table and gas for the car... she loves doing this and without "purpose"... she would probably not be here...
I am working down my stash by making up table runners, zip bags, totes... anything and giving them to her to sell at craft fairs.. that and charity donations.. are making my old age and retirement so worthwhile!!!
So glad you were there.. I am going to send this to my kids... so they understand what I want for my mountain of "stuff"... :)

Auntpiggylpn
May 29th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Very Nice! The story was so sweet and sad. Maybe those flannels will get to be charity quilts after all?

Yes, they will become quilts for charity! I will be donating the fabric to my quilting guild for use in our charity projects.

shermur
May 29th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I love these kind of stories and I also know where you're coming from....I have answer craigslist ads before for fabric and quilting notions before. There is a kindredship amongst those who quilt and those connected some way or another....

bubba
May 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Holy schmoly!!! I'd make a quilt for them and give it back! Then do what you want w/the rest. How nice of them to do that for you!

Monique
May 29th, 2014, 10:34 PM
Very nice indeed.

BobW
May 29th, 2014, 11:37 PM
I'm so happy you were there for them. They probably found it easier to let their daughters possessions go to someone who they bonded with and felt would honor their daughter. It couldn't have been easy for them, it just isn't natural for a parent to have to bury their child, and while it may get easier to get through the day, the pain is just under the surface.

Burying a child is one of the two worst things a person can experience in life. The other would be to have a child disappear and not knowing where you child is.

Making a quilt for them sounds like such a good idea, and I know since I'm not the one to make it, it is easy for me to say, but maybe just a wall hanging.

(Sorry to be so preachy but my ex-wife and I lost a son to a car accident in 1991).

SuzyQue
May 29th, 2014, 11:44 PM
WOW! What a tender and sweet story. This makes me cry and smile both! You got a very good deal; they got to share their grief. Win/win! Thank you for sharing!

SallyO'Sews
May 30th, 2014, 01:09 AM
What a wonderful story. I'm so blown away by the blessing you've been, not only to this family, but also to the recipients of the quilts your guild will make and give away.
Hugs to you,
~ Sally \0/

MayinJerset
May 30th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Such a touching story. What a wonderful way of PIF for the family and also you. Many use flannel for batting and backings for their quilts so you will find a good way to use your new found stash.

rebeccas-sewing
May 30th, 2014, 05:49 AM
What a touching story. Brings tears to my eyes. How special that you plan to donate this find. I'm sure that would make the family so happy to hear of this. I hope you let them know your plan.

Cat77
May 30th, 2014, 06:50 AM
I also think it would be nice to make a quilt for her family to give them something from their daughter. Do you know if she had children?
If you don't feel up to it, maybe your guild would be willing to help with this project.

Bob, I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even begin to imagine how you and your ex-wife must have felt and probably still feel! Feel hugged from across the ocean and I'm sending thoughts and strength your way - and if possible over 20 years into the past! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/hug-from-behind.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)