PDA

View Full Version : Wild, Wild Weekend (kinda long, & with photos)

Miss Sheri
May 27th, 2014, 10:14 AM
A Memorial Day Weekend, we won’t soon forget. . .
We had the opportunity to plan a two family camping/fishing trip at Flaming Gorge Reservoir with our dear friends. Our Boys and the other family were all able to leave on Friday afternoon, but I stayed home because Shannon (my daughter) had to work on Saturday, with a plan to drive up Sunday morning. (about a 4 hour drive).
Saturday afternoon I got a call from my husband, he told a wild story about being caught in 4’ waves, being pushed up onto the shore by the waves, not at the boat ramp, and waves crashing over the back of the boat effectively swamping it. The 5 gallon gas can was full, and still floating, the battery was completely submerged, and about 1/3 of each of their tackle boxes was floating and being washed overboard. My youngest son, (graduating HS this week, Yea!) ran up to the campground to enlist the help of our friends, to get the boat bailed out so they could get it onto the trailer.

They went back to the campground dejected and discouraged, thinking everything was ruined. Our friends talked them into staying the night, but the campground host told them that they could only stay on, if they were ok with the fact that all the bathrooms were out of service, and no clean water was available, so basically, a ‘rough camp’. The only bathroom was an outhouse down at the boat ramp. The campground was suddenly going to be closed on Monday. So, he told us to not bother driving up. My DD and I were both very sad, and dejected at the thought of missing this time with our family and friends. The next morning, my hubby called back and said, after everything dried out, the motor started on the second pull, the sonar was hooked up to the battery and worked fine, and they started catching some wonderful big fish, and the campground host would allow us to stay through Monday, so we were told, come on up!

We were fairly close, within a half hour of arriving, when the sky started to pelt us with huge raindrops in a sudden micro-burst. It didn’t last long, but repeated the same process, about 4 different times in a 15 minute stretch. My DD was driving, and the speed limit was about 65mph, she was going about 55-60, the area was curvy and ups and downs, now wet, and she had a habit of hugging the outside of the lane when on-coming traffic was passing. Well, on one narrow section of road, the white line had no real shoulder, it was about an inch down from the edge of the white line and was gravel on an incline. When Shannon was passed by a large truck, she again edged over to make room and her tire hit the edge of the pavement and carried it right off onto the gravel, headed straight into one of the many re-bar posts that mark the lane when it’s covered in snow. We were coming at it so fast, but she turned sharp to avoid it and get back onto the road, but we still struck it just in front of my passenger side door. When she turned to get back on the road, we were headed straight across the lane nearly ready to go off the other side which would have been worse as it had a big drop off. She turned again, to correct, and we ended up in a 360* spin, actually we spun 1 ˝ times around and came to a stop in the opposite lane, this little stretch of road we had spun on had 15-20’ drop offs on both sides. She was able to start us up again, and get into the correct lane, gratefully, the traffic was minimal. A small truck with three older gentlemen (60-70ish) was coming towards us slowly, they had seen the whole episode. They kindly followed us to where we could safely pull over to check the damage. They were the kindest, gentlest souls, and helped my daughter check things out, making sure nothing was rubbing on the tires, etc. I couldn’t get out, as the impact with the re-bar had made it so my door wouldn’t open more than about 3-4”. Remarkably, we, and my car were for the most part unharmed. Mind you, we will find out this week what the ‘minor damage’ will actually cost us! Their kind reassurances were calming, and gratefully received.

The fishing was awesome, we had a lovely time with our friends, and we all arrived home safely. . .

. . . Only to find that our Air Conditioner had gone out, the motor on the fan ruined, so another $500.00 today, to fix that, and last night we slept in a very warm house. And, lest you think the adventure ends here, as we were unloading our vehicles, Grandma (my MIL, whom I adore) called us to let us know that our son Trevor, who is currently serving a church mission for two years in El Salvador/and Belize, had been HIT BY A TRUCK! We receive email letters from him once a week, and we hadn’t yet had time to open our emails to read his letter. Here is an excerpt in his very own, forever optimistic, words. . .
“I got hit by a moving vehicle this week!! That’s the first time that has ever happened to me! We were coming up Vernon St on our bikes, and all was clear in front of me, and then a big box truck comes flying by my left side, then wheels a hard right hander into a parking lot, and smashing into me. I got bounced off the side of the truck toward the curb, but cashed in on my mountain biking crash prevention skills, and landed on my feet. I have a huge bruise all down my left quad, it looks worse today than in the picture, but my clothing didn't tear, and I just have some cuts on my left hand where the truck took the grip off of my bike and a cut on my left ear, Haha good thing we have helmets, cuz my helmet took the brunt of the crash.”

I am emotionally, and physically exhausted today. But, I am sending up many prayers of gratitude!
Every circumstance could have ended MUCH worse, even tragically! Heaven was working overtime to protect my family. I am so thankful I still have every member of my family, my vehicle still runs, the whole Air conditioner didn’t need to be replace, and could be fixed quickly, my house is still standing and I will still be able to turn 51 tomorrow, I can’t express how terrifying it was, to see the probability of a bad crash racing towards you only to have the direction shift to another equally terrifying possibility. I am humble in my gratitude, I feel truly loved and blessed by a watchful, loving Heavenly Father.

Thanks for listening to my ordeal. I found it therapeutic to share with you. Below are some pictures of the best kind of’ highlights’ from our weekend.
Love you all! Sheri

PS In the group photo, I'm second from the end, back row, right hand side.

Slokarma
May 27th, 2014, 10:18 AM
WOW I'm kind of dumbfounded after all that. Good to see it all ended well!

WendyI
May 27th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Holy crackers! What a weekend! That sounds like a "wendy" weekend as my friends would say. So glad to hear you are all safe and sound. Thanks for sharing the pics. I love putting faces to names of forum peeps!

Sorry, but I feel sad for the fishies. :( lol They are beautiful though...lots of good eatin there I'm sure! What kind of fish are they?

Miss Sheri
May 27th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Wendy, the fish all survived, they were only out of the water long enough to remove the hooks and pose with my peeps. I believe all the ones shown were Lake Trout. The smallest was 28" long, and the largest (my daughter's) was 38" long. My youngest son, (the one 'posing' with his fish) is holding his only fish from this weekend, but he still holds the record fish from our family outings. They also caught some beautiful Rainbow Trouts, and a Kokanee Salmon (a Kokanee is a fresh water, or land locked salmon).

Vonnie
May 27th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Wow - hopefully every thing will calm down now. So glad that everyone made it through that weird weekend.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Wow, I was afraid to read on after the first few disasters were told! Glad you all survived, and those fishies are amazingly huge!

Sandy Navas
May 27th, 2014, 11:08 AM
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/attachments/general-chit-chat/77184d1401196324t-wild-wild-weekend-kinda-long-photos-erik-29-inches-gorge-2014.jpg

Caption time?
"Where did this sky fish come from?"

What a weekend. I'm glad everyone is safe.

Monique
May 27th, 2014, 11:58 AM
WOW thankfully no one got hurt and your weekend ended well after all.

rebeccas-sewing
May 27th, 2014, 12:02 PM
My goodness! That was quite a wild weekend! So glad all are well including the fish!

MRoy
May 27th, 2014, 12:19 PM
That was a wild weekend! I'm glad you're all okay. The guardian angels were watching over you. I'd probably be an emotional basket case today. I love to fish and I can imagine it was exciting pulling in those big fish.

pcbatiks
May 27th, 2014, 01:51 PM
No wonder you are emotionally & physically drained! So glad your family is okay and no one was hurt. :)

MayinJerset
May 27th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Glad all came out pretty well after such amazing things happening to you and your family. Happy Bday and here's hoping 51 will be a quieter year for you.

Judy, USMC
May 27th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Happy Birthday! Glad all was well in the end. I'd be exhausted!

GuitarGramma
May 27th, 2014, 03:41 PM
Oh Sheri, I'm so glad to hear that everyone is OK and that all your equipment either survived or will get fixed. What an adrenaline-soaked weekend! I hope you're taking deep breaths today and finding peace again! :icon_calm:

Miss Sheri
May 29th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Well, the estimate on the car is $2,000.00, I would hate to have seen the bill if there was anything 'significant'! Fortunately, our deductable is only $500.00, a bit more doable. I'm so glad today has been very uneventful, other birthday kindnesses.

auntiemern
May 29th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Wow Sheri, what a tale to tell. Thankfully all was good in the end. It sounds a lot like some weeks I have had. God is good. Great looking fish...love the DS pose.

Familyjournals
May 29th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you are okay. We had great weather this weekend but I heard it was spotty like that all over the state. Once we took our boat up to flaming gorge and when we stopped at one of those "haciendas" for a potty break there was a huge snake in it by the toilet. I totally freaked, needless to say we have found other forms of entertainment. I'm sorry it was such a costly weekend but you survived and that is what matters most!

turena65
May 29th, 2014, 04:33 AM
Oh my goodness... what a weekend! I'm just now reading this as I haven't been on the forum for a few days... My husband and daughter and I survived a rollover accident about 18 months ago... not a scratch on any of us, OR her wheelchair. Like you, I felt nothing but thankfulness and gratitude at the hand of the Lord in protecting our family. We felt as if a "bubble" was protecting us from anything worse than we had already experienced, and even though it was scary, and traumatic, we felt so blessed. I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father protected you and your whole family through each and every ordeal you experienced! BTW.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear forum friend! :) :) :)

mommadeb
May 29th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Wow-what a weekend. I'm glad everything and everyone is ok. In a few years, you will be able to laugh about all this and what a crazy weekend you had. Yes, you were definitely being watched over from above. :icon_bigsmile:

Bubby
May 29th, 2014, 11:13 AM
I'm glad that wasn't my weekend! I admire your stamina. It's great everything turned out well in the end.

Miss Sheri
May 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
My dear friend, (the other Mom in the photo), told me, "Ya know, easy times don't make good stories!" Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha! You are all so very kind, and you mean so much to me. I truly found it 'therapeutic' to share with you. I am still reliving our accident in my head several times a day though, maybe because I was out getting estimates on my car repairs, and seeing the damage, and scrapes in places I had not realized, helped me piece together just how close we came to ultimate tragedy. Each calm day is better, and tomorrow I get to watch my DS (the fish poser!) graduate from High School a whole year early. I am super proud of this sweet, fun kid. Again, thank you all so much for your kindness. ~Sheri

SallyO'Sews
May 29th, 2014, 12:01 PM
So glad all is well. Hope you have a lovely, quiet birthday!
~ Sally \0/