PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have to move. . .

Auntpiggylpn
May 25th, 2014, 11:02 PM
I spent the first 32 years of my life living in the country and I have spent the last 12 years being a city dweller. In January of this year we moved to a rural area surrounded by trees and a small river at the back of our 2 acres. I'm loving the peace and quiet and I would hate to leave it but. . .

Two weeks ago, I had to chase a 2.5 foot Black Rat Snake out of our fenced in back yard. I actually had to get a rake and a bucket to relocate it outside the fence. My other half"had to hold onto our shepherds so they wouldn't get the snake" Yeah, right!!! Then today I was letting the dogs out into the back yard thru the slider. I've been keeping an eye on the non moving side of the slider as I have been battling wasps that keep trying to build their nest there. I spray them, knock down their hard work and their relatives keep coming back to rebuild. Today I found the largest spider I have ever seen that wasn't in a zoo or pet store. From what I can tell, it is called a Skinny Legged Wolf Spider. Non venomous but still not welcome at my house! The cement that the spider is sitting on measures almost 2 1/2 in so that gives you an idea of how big this thing was!

Hulamoon
May 25th, 2014, 11:05 PM
You could move here and just deal with the chickens. Just get some earplugs before you come!

EnumclawGramma
May 25th, 2014, 11:11 PM
C R E E P Y !

And on a lighter note......Sorry! I had to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vudA72hibg

kelliedi
May 25th, 2014, 11:13 PM
yep that is wolf spider....harmless they do eat other bugs...BUT only good spider is a dead one

Dollyquilts
May 25th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Were you just being kind to the snake? My dog had a special snake bark. I could always tell when he had found one in the back yard. I wasn't a fan of snakes. My motto is that even if they won't hurt you, they will make you hurt yourself. Rocky got to where he would only let me get one blow in with a spade before he grabbed the snake. The last one bit him on his tongue and he was really sick. That one broke him of the snake habit. He drooled for days and days and it was really foul smelling. Our snakes were mostly copperheads and I couldn't risk stepping on one in the dark, so I dispatched them. Twice I stepped over one in the yard. They can make you levitate in midstride. My neighbor was bitten by a water moccasin that was in her pool skimmer, and she had even looked for snakes before she put her hand down to remove the basket. Nasty little critters.

Auntpiggylpn
May 25th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Were you just being kind to the snake? My dog had a special snake bark. I could always tell when he had found one in the back yard. I wasn't a fan of snakes. My motto is that even if they won't hurt you, they will make you hurt yourself. Rocky got to where he would only let me get one blow in with a spade before he grabbed the snake. The last one bit him on his tongue and he was really sick. That one broke him of the snake habit. He drooled for days and days and it was really foul smelling. Our snakes were mostly copperheads and I couldn't risk stepping on one in the dark, so I dispatched them. Twice I stepped over one in the yard. They can make you levitate in midstride. My neighbor was bitten by a water moccasin that was in her pool skimmer, and she had even looked for snakes before she put her hand down to remove the basket. Nasty little critters.

I didnt know know what kind of snake it was until afterwards. It moved verrrry slowwwwly so I figured it couldn't be too dangerous! I actually walked right by it and caught it out of the corner of my eye. It was sitting with its head up and was still as a stone. The dogs didn't even see it. I'm comfortable now that if they come across one in the backyard, they can have it!

auntiemern
May 25th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately that is the price us 'country' folks have to pay for the peace and tranquility of our life style. I also do not do tolerate any of the creepy crawlies. DH is very good about getting rid of anything that dare come within eyesight of me.
I stepped outside one night, after DH was in bed, and there was the biggest wolf spider I have ever seen in my life. Of course I jumped straight up, did a turn in mid air and some how was back inside without my feet hitting the ground again. Woke him up so he could kill it. I wish I had video of the events that ensued. DH was in his underwear, with a broom (I thought it was big enough to shoot), swatting and chasing this enormous spider. It took several whacks, before it met its demise. We wouldn't want to live anywhere else though.

Pandabear
May 25th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Found our first copperhead of the season today. Wolf spiders have been appearing the last 2 weeks or so.

Hubby found a huge black snake in the front lawn yesterday. As much as I detest the cold, I never worry about creepy crawlies and slithery snakes in winter.

Oh, forgot to mention the toads and turtles showing up in the backyard. Toads bring the snakes. The poor turtles, two of my dogs think are play toys. They drop them at the door hoping we will throw them for fetch. The turtles are relocated to the front yard, safe from doggie shenanigans.

Sheena
May 26th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Oh no, that's really scary. I'm so glad I live in England. No bad beasties here.

pcbatiks
May 26th, 2014, 02:18 AM
Yuuuuucccckkkkk! I'm pulling my feet up in the chair as I'm reading this! The only good snake is a dead snake!

Quiltfreestyle
May 26th, 2014, 03:05 AM
My son lives in rattlesnake & scorpion country. He has a big jar of alcohol in the kitchen full of scorpions caught in his house.
Huge yuk!!! I always check my shoes before putting them on when we visit him.. He is nice enough to hide the jar when I'm there.

MayinJerset
May 26th, 2014, 03:17 AM
Guess I'm lucky here in Jersey as in the almost 60 years I've lived here I've never seen a snake but did have a turtle in the back yard once. I've done a lot of gardening and years ago used to cut the lawn but no critters, never knew how lucky I was. Oh, we do get a few small spiders in the Fall, they usually make a web in the far corner on the staircase landing and quick swipe with the broom gets rid of them

Kgrammiecaz
May 26th, 2014, 04:11 AM
Yuuuuucccckkkkk! I'm pulling my feet up in the chair as I'm reading this! The only good snake is a dead snake!

I am up on the chair next to you. I hate all creepy critters. I live in Florida. We have many of them. Big and little roaches, spiders, snakes, love bugs, ugh, too many!! I check my shoes every day, even open sandals. Oh and those dang mini frogs are all over right now. I open my garage and they are hopping around. Ewwwwww

Monique
May 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM
I don't do snakes very well either but we only have little ones here compared to what you have. Spiders I can deal with.

Marta
May 26th, 2014, 07:42 AM
Sorry the creatures are scaring you but they are part of nature. I was raised on 30 acres of field and woods in western PA. We had a huge black snake in the horse barn. It never hurt anyone or any of the horses, dogs or cats. It did get rid of mice and rats. Wasps are not favorites of mine but I think spiders are fascinating creatures. Would never kill anything that feeds on flies and mosquitos. I sincerly hope you can make peace with Mother Nature and enjoy you home.
P.S. We have some very aggressive posion snakes here in Brazil. I am terrified of meeting one of them!

Bubby
May 26th, 2014, 08:24 AM
We have to deal with snakes every year, mostly copperheads and black snakes. I totally HATE snakes. The only good snake is a dead snake as far as I'm concerned. We have our share of turtles right now and Sweet Olive loves to play with them. Dottie doesn't like turtles, but she will go to the ends of the earth to chase a lizard.

Suzette
May 26th, 2014, 08:28 AM
I am one of the few who don't mind snakes. Plus, I value and appreciate the positive impact they have on the environment. BUT . . . I totally get that most folks find them a bit creepy and unsettling. Now spiders . . . ugh! But I leave them alone if they are outside and if they are not of the venomous variety. I'll admit though, once inside, all bets are off and they must be squished for their poor choice of coming into my home to set up shop.

MRoy
May 26th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I'm terrified of snakes. I've been told black snakes are good but I agree that the only good snake is a dead snake. I don't mind the big spiders. It's the tiny ones that scare me because they might be brown recluse, and their bite is awful.

We live in the country, but we don't have woods close to the house and we try to keep the areas around buildings trimmed, sprayed, or gravelled so we seldom see a snake in the yard. (Now having said that, I'll find one for sure!) We spray around the foundation of the house and that helps keep the spiders out. I found a small hornet's nest on a low branch of a tree next to the house this weekend. DH is supposed to take care of it. I'll be reminding him again today. He found a tree frog in the house this morning and caught it. This is life in the country!

Pandabear
May 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM
We don't kill the black snakes. Copperheads are another matter entirely.

Familyjournals
May 26th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I'm terrified of snakes. I've been told black snakes are good but I agree that the only good snake is a dead snake. I don't mind the big spiders. It's the tiny ones that scare me because they might be brown recluse, and their bite is awful.

I am with you Myrna! We live on a mountain with gorgeous views of several cities in the valley below. Because of this our homes are terraced with big beautiful rock walls dividing our yards. These walls are made of huge off white boulders that we plant rock garden plants, succulents, cascading flowers in the dirt between them. Just recently some snakes have made homes somewhere deep in these rock wall gardens. That petrifies me. We have rattlers further up our mountain and I don't want to get close enough to see if they have rattles on or not! I'm very hesitant to work in my garden. What is a natural predators of snakes? Does anyone know where I can get a mongoose?

Auntpiggylpn
May 26th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I am with you Myrna! We live on a mountain with gorgeous views of several cities in the valley below. Because of this our homes are terraced with big beautiful rock walls dividing our yards. These walls are made of huge off white boulders that we plant rock garden plants, succulents, cascading flowers in the dirt between them. Just recently some snakes have made homes somewhere deep in these rock wall gardens. That petrifies me. We have rattlers further up our mountain and I don't want to get close enough to see if they have rattles on or not! I'm very hesitant to work in my garden. What is a natural predators of snakes? Does anyone know where I can get a mongoose?

I was was going to say the Mongoose is a natural predator of snakes! When we went to St. Croix Virgin Isles 4 years ago, we took an ATV tour . There were mongooses everywhere! You often see them dead in the roads because they are hit by cars; similar to rabbits and raccoons here in the states. Our tour guide told us that St. Croix used to be overrun with snakes so mongooses were shipped in to control them. St Croix now has a ZERO population of snakes but an over abundance of mongooses!!!

Carin
May 26th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Yup my bags would already be packed and in the car! I hate spiders, rodents and snakes.

Quiltfreestyle
May 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
We live near a national forest in the hills north of LA & there are lots of snakes there, mostly rattlers, gopher snakes & king snakes. The king snakes kill the rattlers so I don't mind them too much. But that said, I still jump about 3 feet if I see one in the yard. So far we've only had a gopher snake & a king snake, no rattlers...

Familyjournals
May 26th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I was was going to say the Mongoose is a natural predator of snakes! When we went to St. Croix Virgin Isles 4 years ago, we took an ATV tour . There were mongooses everywhere! You often see them dead in the roads because they are hit by cars; similar to rabbits and raccoons here in the states. Our tour guide told us that St. Croix used to be overrun with snakes so mongooses were shipped in to control them. St Croix now has a ZERO population of snakes but an over abundance of mongooses!!!
That's funny about the mongooses! I wonder if they could live in our climate since it's slightly different than Africa ;-) raccoons! Now we have those little dudes, do they like snakes? We have a friend that has a gorgeous boat, they had it stored for the winter and when they opened the cover to summerize it they found a whole family of raccoons. Those little rascals tore up the whole interior causing around $20,000.00 in damage. Hummm......boat.vs getting rid of snakes.....it's a thought. Raccoons probably don't like snakes anyway. ......what is the plural of mongoose ....mongeese?

Jess1377
May 26th, 2014, 12:07 PM
OH. MY. GOSH. Just no. I didnt think those kind of amazon beasties would be up in Michigan. Nor here in OK :( I have killed numerous wolf spiders with babies on its back (i feel a wee bit guilty but they were in the garage and I dont need them in the house), a black widow and its nest just a few feet away from my front door and my DH thankfully has killed a number of scorpions. 77073770747707577076That big spider and scorpion was in my garage :(

Andrea F
May 27th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Oh - just seeing the pictures makes my skin tickle. I would definitely have to move. We live on the country-ish side of out small town and mostly we have to deal with some mice here which usually stay outside. We do have some of those black spiders sometimes although they are quite a bit smaller. I really hate them. I totally agree that only a dead spider is a good spider.