PDA

View Full Version : A Night Owl Goes a Frogging!

toggpine
May 25th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Things here haven't returned to the old normal, but we are really trying to get a routine in place. Somedays I'm so much more successful than others. With the long weekend, I'm staying up a bit later than what has become usual.

I have been working on a quilt to use as a practice when I take my long arm class. I was gifted a pair of jelly rolls and the material was not the quality I'd prefer. (I don't care about the price or the brand, just the quality of the fabric.) I figured they would make a good practice surface, and I wouldn't be so worried about the initial quality of my practice stitches.
I found a cool pattern in a magazine, cut the strips, and began to lay them out and sew them together. I thought it looked a bit 1980's, but again, who is really going to care at a picnic table.
I had about 8 to 10 rows sewn together and needed to move the entire project to my design surface (bed). I stacked up the pieced in color blocks and laid them out so I could choose the colors as I was building the rows.
I'll be danged if I didn't like the color-block type layout of the fabric when it was sorted out. I wasn't really wanting to un-sew, rip, frog (rip it, rip it) the rows I had already done. I laid out about 8 more rows, but only managed to sew two more together.
Hubby saw the photos and liked that "quilt" better. I told him it wasn't a quilt, but my working stacks. "That's too bad. I liked that one better than the stripey one."

I'm now ripping apart the rows I had sewn together. I guess we'll both like the quilt better.

Have you ever completely torn a part a top before, or do you just "Make It Work" since it was that far along?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has ever done this!

HdWench
May 25th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Well *hoot* *hoot* I am thrilled to be up and online! Oh yes, There have been a few that I couldn't leave well enough alone and had to re-do them cuz they wanted to be something else hehehe Ah only makes us better acquainted with the handy seam ripper! Sure makes me wish I had not stopped sewing for many of my adult years. Do you think if we sewed in Junior High and kept at it, the seam ripper would be less used? I'm guessing it's a personality thing and we would be ripping stitches no matter what!

Have a safe weekend all, got to recut the top for my 50's dress umm seams like it's 4" too narrow in the rib cage area

:-Debbie

sewlucky
May 25th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Considering I'm ripping quilted stitches I don't think you're crazy at all ;)

Terri

Jean Sewing Machine
May 25th, 2014, 05:08 AM
Hoot hoot, I'm awake on the branch tonight! Mainly because I fell asleep exhausted from the week's activities on the couch last night at 6, woke up at 12, moved into the bedroom, woke up at 2 because I had my 8 hours already! Went shopping for some Downton Abby precuts, the last offering, Dowager jelly roll, escaped me because for some reason, the order didn't go through, and I really like this colorway!

I have irish chain blocks made and the background fabrics cut, layout all arranged, now all I need to do is sew the blocks together. I got it going so when I wake up at night, I can sew on a project that does not need thought processes involved. Hope to get a few rows sewed tonight.

Took my grandkids to our local Renaissance Faire yesterday. We had a ball! My grandson was so taken by all the cutlery offered, swords, daggers, big old frog stickers! Actually they were not as expensive for a nice looking costume accessory as I thought they would be. And granddaughter, age 9, wanted a purple brocade bustier in the worse way! She's got no bust to boost! But there were Lots of very voluptuous wenches overhanging their bustiers walking around! I had my eye on an amazing leather number, and a leather and lace hat to match! It was a fun place for sure! Thought of you Debbie, every time I fondled a chemise or bodice! The grands wanted to know why people had their travel trailers on the parking lot, I tried to tell them, but they just didn't get it.

Have a good night, owls either sewing or frogging!

Hulamoon
May 25th, 2014, 08:21 AM
That sounds so fun Jean. I have only been to one of those , eons ago.

Toggpine I did something I'm upset with. I was doing Jenny's chevron and 'decided' I wanted smaller zig zags and cut them in 1/4ths. Now I have a mile high stack of hst I have to square off because it's so wonky.

What do I do with two layer cakes of hst's besides a chevron? I could kick myself right now. It's blue and white if anyone has suggestions:)

MayinJerset
May 25th, 2014, 09:32 AM
Sorry I missed you gals last night, I still have been waking up in the middle of the night but most nights I go right back to sleep.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 25th, 2014, 09:36 AM

Toggpine I did something I'm upset with. I was doing Jenny's chevron and 'decided' I wanted smaller zig zags and cut them in 1/4ths. Now I have a mile high stack of hst I have to square off because it's so wonky.

What do I do with two layer cakes of hst's besides a chevron? I could kick myself right now. It's blue and white if anyone has suggestions:)
Have you googled half square triangle quilts? Seems to me there has to be hundreds of ways to set HST. That tutorial Jenny did several weeks ago was completely made of small HSTs. It has some drazy name somethingwith seasons. I'm sure you'll come up with something brilliant!

Mom23
May 25th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Lorie,

Camille Roskelley has a page of 25 ways to use half square triangles. I have attached a copy of the link for you.

http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/25HST.pdf

sewlucky
May 25th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Lorie, you can do You've Got Mail! It's fun, but probably no less fussy than chevrons lol

Terri

Hulamoon
May 25th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Thanks ladies! Mom23 that was such a cool illustration page! Thanks! I'm going to google blue and white quits too. I don't want this to be a ufo forever. lol

You've got mail never spoke to me for some reason. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Hulamoon
May 25th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Have you googled half square triangle quilts? Seems to me there has to be hundreds of ways to set HST. That tutorial Jenny did several weeks ago was completely made of small HSTs. It has some drazy name somethingwith seasons. I'm sure you'll come up with something brilliant!

I think that would work nicely! I just have to square them up:) I think it's crazy because the name is so long. lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L43Uc9H_RUA&feature=em-uploademail