PDA

View Full Version : Kate Middleton's wedding dress

Claire OneStitchAtATime
May 23rd, 2014, 12:50 AM
I'm taking a hand embroidery course in the SF area, from the Royal School of Needlework, and the teacher worked on Kate Middleton's wedding dress! We did silk ribbon embroidery today. Very fun & pretty, but a totally useless skill, unlike quilting :)

Quiltfreestyle
May 23rd, 2014, 01:33 AM
Not entirely useless. You can use it to embellish a wall hanging. I wish I could take a class like that. I enjoy hand embroidery & I have a crazy quilt in progress,,, waiting for me to jazz it up some more.

rebeccas-sewing
May 23rd, 2014, 03:57 AM
Oh my gosh! Did the class have a million questions about the wedding dress for Kate? What was her part in making the dress? Did she say? How exciting.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
May 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Not entirely useless. You can use it to embellish a wall hanging. I wish I could take a class like that. I enjoy hand embroidery & I have a crazy quilt in progress,,, waiting for me to jazz it up some more.

It's a blast. They offer one day classes in SF a few times a year. Also in Williamsburg, VA. I've never done anything like this before, & I probably never will again, but it's worth it if you can make it work! Nobody teaches hand embroidery in my little patch of the Midwest.

Claire OneStitchAtATime
May 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM
Oh my gosh! Did the class have a million questions about the wedding dress for Kate? What was her part in making the dress? Did she say? How exciting.

Yes, we were all interested. So cool! She said she was on the team that embroidered it & had to sign a contract that they would keep quiet about it until the wedding day. They didn't do the garment construction & didn't know the designer & couldn't figure out which bit went were. She said it took 100s of hours over a fairly short period -- she described it as a rush job! But her eyes sparkled when she talked about it. I gather it was exciting.

MartinaG
May 23rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
You may surprise yourself and add some embroidery to your quilts. I find it useful in appliques.

ginampls
May 24th, 2014, 09:10 AM
well, show us your stitches later, I haven't embroidered in years, hand work like that, a challenge. for some. ok me. but i like to look at the stuff.