PDA

View Full Version : I WAS INVADED !

MayinJerset
May 22nd, 2014, 05:41 PM
by some kind of malware that had big popups on both sides of M* forum messages. One covered the whole left side of the screen, it was headed Related Sites and had various Quilt related stuff - nothing that I have ever clicked on, and on the other side were e-bay adds for various items, these were a bit smaller but still took up most of the right side of the screen. Every time I clicked them away they popped right back. Took a while before I found a little T in the main pop up, clicked on it and followed instructions on how to disable it from my computer - the little pest added itself to my programs. Can't figure out how this happened but it did right after I ran a computer cleaning program. Could it be the program cleaned out malware and then added it's own?

Judy, USMC
May 22nd, 2014, 06:21 PM
Could be! I know I got a new search engine added after I downloaded a supposedly free program. Little bugger won't go away - even after I removed the "free" program.

My own fault for not reading through all the little boxes that come up and the terms of agreement VERY carefully.

sassygranny
May 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
A lot of computer cleaning stuff comes with malware or at least adware. They're then happy to sell you something to clean it up. Really ticks me off!

snippet
May 22nd, 2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah it was probably that cleaner software installation also came with some sort of 'helper' search bar or whatever they choose to call it. It's malware. Be very careful in what you agree to install when you run the program.

WendyI
May 22nd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Isn't that the MOST annoying!?!? You should always use a trusted anti-spam program. If you go to PCMAG.com they have reviews on good anti-virus software, some of which is free....here's a link Antivirus - Reviews and Price Comparisons from PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/antivirus)

In my experience, relying on a good internet service provider is your best protection...if an ISP is cheap, they're likely not going to have the same protection as the big guys sadly.

MayinJerset
May 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM
Wendy, Thanks for the advice. I did download the PC thingie and ran it but before I could deleted what it found it said that I had to register the software. Every time I clicked to register the computer froze up so I ended up uninstalling the program. Everything seems to be good with the old stuff I ran so let's keep your fingers crossed.