PDA

View Full Version : just got notification ebay hacked

Enchanted
May 21st, 2014, 02:56 PM
Hi all. I received the notification that ebay has been hacked and since ebay owns paypal, they are susceptible too. Whether this was an actual event we won't know until it might be too late. Just in case you all (I am from the south) might want to change your paypal passwords. Better to be safe than sorry.

Iris Girl
May 21st, 2014, 03:16 PM
Just got home and that was the first thing my son made me do was go change paypal and ebay passwords.

songbird857
May 21st, 2014, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Suzette
May 21st, 2014, 04:07 PM
Better safe than sorry. I went and changed my ebay password. Easy enough to do, so worth it whether this story is true or not. So thanks so much for the heads up!

Leah53
May 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM
Apparently it is true but.... according to Forbes,

The compromise, which took place sometime between late February and early March allowed the attackers access to customers names, e-mail addresses, encrypted passwords, e-mail addresses, postal addresses, phone numbers and date of births. In other words sufficient data to potentially cause havoc on your online and offline life .

Why didn't they tell us when it first happened, 3 months later is pointless. Paypal was not affected.

Peggi
May 21st, 2014, 08:14 PM
I agree - why do some of these businesses wait so long? I was notified by the State of California that my identity had been compromised - a full year after it happened. I tried to find out what kind of information California had on me, since I've never lived there, never owned property, never paid taxes, never had a job, never did ANYTHING there except visit Disneyland. But I never got a response.

It's frustrating.

Enchanted
May 22nd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Apparently it is true but.... according to Forbes,

Why didn't they tell us when it first happened, 3 months later is pointless. Paypal was not affected.

They say Paypal was not affected but I remember when target was hacked during the holidays. Supposedly hardly any accounts were compromised, no personal information was obtained and it was found out they lied. It is so easy to change the password, although sometimes hard to remember. I have gotten into a habit of changing my passwords every 120 or so days. PIA? yes it is, but it gives me some peace of mind.