PDA

View Full Version : Finding a new pediatrician.

HandsomeRyan
May 21st, 2014, 08:40 AM
So my wife and I have had a falling out with our pediatrician and I think we need to find a new one. :(

On Monday, the daycare called and said Sawyer had been fussy all morning and was running a very lowgrade fever of 100.2. This is almost certainly because he just began teething. I don;'t see any teeth yet but he has suddenly become very drooly and very interested in chewing on things. The daycare said we could do nothing and he could tough it out or we could come give him some baby tylenol. My wife instructed me to go pick him up and bring him home so I did. I gave him some tylenol and he was fine for the rest of the day and has been fine since.

The daycare also gave me a form to have our pediatrician fill out which would authorize them to give him the tylenol so in the future I wouldn't have to leave work, they could just call me, ask for permission, and give him the meds themselves. I didn't think it would or should be a big deal to have the form filled out. My wife dropped it off at the Dr. yesterday and they called her back and said they wouldn't sign it. "Why not?!" "Because we don't think your baby is teething yet because he is too young (he's 3.5 months old) and if he has a fever you need to bring him here and not give him medicine at home" Keep in mind, they did not see him yesterday, my wife dropped him off at daycare then went to their office to their diagnosis of "he isn't teething" is based on a wild guess and not an office visit or a doctor's inspection.

We tried to explain that we didn't want the daycare giving him the medicine 2-3 times a day every day, that this was only for extraordinary circumstances and that we have given him tylenol at home on several occasions and he handles it fine. I'm not taking my kid to the Dr. every time his temperature is 1 above normal because I don't have time or money to do that. I'll bring him in if I believe he is truly sick but not 2-3 times a week for every little thing.

My wife got nowhere reasoning with the nurse so she asked that the doctor call her back. I didn't hear the entire conversation with the doctor but my wife said that the doctor was very condescending and said that "our son couldn't be teething" and "the daycare can't be trusted to give the correct dosage and you should only give the baby tylenol under your direct supervision" (They don't even know what daycare he attends so I'm not sure how they know that the management there who give the babies medicine can't be trusted to measure out 2.5ml into a syringe?!) She also made some comment about "abusing medicines" and was generally not interested in having a conversation but rather critisizing my wife for even bringing up the possibility of using pain meds to ease discomfort.

I'm so upset. I wasn't in love with this doctors office to begin with but it sounds to me like they are either more interested in covering their own butts by demanding that we bring him in (and pay them) every time he so much as coughs or sneezes while at the same time claiming to better diagnose him sight-unseen then his mother and I or the daycare providers who all see him for many hours every day. If it is their professional opinion that babies under 6 months shouldn't be given tylenol they are within their rights to tell me that but it is not their place to force their views onto me and my son. I know plenty of people who have given babies much younger than my son a dose of tylenol and they have all been fine. I understand that there is a risk of liver damage is excessive amounts are given but I trust our daycare provider to only give it to him when I give the okay first and to use their best judgement about when to even call and ask me.

So I guess we'll be finding a new pediatrician that hopefully will be more interested in working with us rather than talking down to us and telling us how terrible of parents we are because we want our son to not have to suffer while cutting teeth.

Bonus: I mentioned what happened to one of Sawyer's teachers and she said,"I went there as a child and they were fine but I moved my kids (she has 3) to a different pediatrician because they were so frustrating to work with".

Swedish leo
May 21st, 2014, 08:50 AM
My kids got their firs theeth at 4 month of age!

And they sure knew how to use them!!!! Do not ask me how I know!

I breast feed them for a eyar each!

Aouch!!

I would change doc in a heartbeat! No one knows your Child better than mammy and daddy!

Slokarma
May 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM
Add this to the list of why, IN GENERAL, over the past few years, I have become increasingly IRRITATED with doctors and their offices!

Bubby
May 21st, 2014, 08:53 AM
I agree that it's time for a different pediatrician. I despise doctors that talk down (or around) their patients. Around here (and I suspect everywhere) doctors want to keep their fingers ($$$) in the pie and have you run to them every time you sneeze. My experience has been that when I go to the doctor when I'm chronically sick she doesn't give me the optimal medication until I have taken one or two rounds of something that doesn't work for me. This keeps me running back to her for additional office calls. We have a high deductible to meet before they pay anything, so this creates a real financial burden for office visits and wasted medications.

Parents are intelligent enough to monitor their children and take them to see the doctor when needed. My first daughter was born with two teeth and continued to teeth from that point on. This is not the norm, but a doctor can't say that just because Sawyer is such and such an age he "can't" be teething. Drooling and chewing are signs of teething.

Follow your instincts. I know you will do what's right for your little man.

Mpyles
May 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM
Ummm...my son got his first tooth at 4 months and my daughter at 5 months....

Mpyles
May 21st, 2014, 08:59 AM
Send him this link. Developmental milestones: Teething | BabyCenter (http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestones-teething_6574.bc)

Monique
May 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM
What do doctors know? Ryan I would be looking for someone else too. Good luck.

Sandy Navas
May 21st, 2014, 09:28 AM
I'm supporting your change - faster than you can move. Four month olds can have some pretty sharp teeth - Annika and I have had the same experiences (tiny razor blades in the mouth).

Change doctors!! (some of them need to be changed for the same reason you change diapers).

asta
May 21st, 2014, 09:36 AM
I would change Dr., you need to find a pediatrician that you feel comfortable with and have confidence in.

MsRabbott
May 21st, 2014, 09:39 AM
You definitely need a new Pediatrician. There's no sense in your little guy being in pain because the doc wants to have all the power. I've seen a lot of instances where docs make first time parents feel like idiots and completely untrustworthy, and no one can know your child as well as you and your wife. You are not only well educated but clearly have common sense, and you deserve someone who will be willing to actually *talk* to you instead of insist they are correct without even seeing your child. It's not like you're wanting to put your child on Percoset for Pete's sake! The medication in Infant Tylenol is so diluted that (I've been told by the head Chemist in our local hospital system) they can have more than double the amount without a harmful affect.

To give you a comparison, my doc is a GP in a small town, she sees both me and my son, and is my OB for my current pregnancy. She is also trained to do the C-Section should I have difficulties in labor. She's AMAZING and one of the busiest docs at a clinic with over 20 providers. She's also a Crunchy Mama, meaning that she advocates eating organic and locally, does NOT push a pill for every little thing, and believes in realistic home remedies like drinking a hoppy beer every day to increase milk production (yes, really!!) My little dude started teething at 3 months also, and she warned me when he was about 6 weeks old to know what signs to look for. Lines of communication with her are very open, I can discuss absolutely anything with her, and she actually listens to what I have to say. If I read something online and ask her about it, she'll take the time to actually go through why it's a good or bad idea, and other alternatives if there's a better option. And if it's something she isn't familiar with, she will actually research it on her own time and will CALL ME BACK!! There are good providers out there, I got very lucky when I found her, and I've been seeing her for 7 years!

As a side note, teething-baby drool is very acidic, so it's not just the gums that are going to hurt. You can expect lots of runny and sour diapers, and many many instances of "fire butt", and even just a wet diaper can be enough to set them off if he's already rashy. I'd recommend a tube of Triple Paste if you don't already have it, it's the best one out there and we've tried all of them!! He may also get a tummy ache, and his chin will likely get crusty. I kept a little container of coconut oil (solid stuff) and put that on his chin, and that helped out quite a bit! And bibs are cheap, much cheaper than cute clothes, and the acidic drool *will* stain the neck of all his clothes! Ben had a bib on all day long until he figured out how to take em off!! When he's older, you can alternate Tylenol and Motrin, the Motrin will reduce the swelling that goes with, and I found that helped more than just the pain management did. And honestly, they can teethe for MONTHS until the tooth finally breaks through, this is the beginning of a very long process. Ben's eye teeth took about 4 months to finally pop through, but that is the worst set for most kids.

Granted, I'm not a pediatrician, I just have been through this recently and am about to go through it again. I have a 2 1/2 year old and am due in 16 days (ack!!) with my second boy. I'm good friends with a lady that has 7 kids, ranging from 19 to 3 years old, and I definitely benefited from her experience!! Hang in there, and remember to trust your instincts! :)

Hulamoon
May 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM
I had to change too. I had a breast reduction when I was in my twenties and I was warned I might not be able to breast feed. Fast forward, I was able to, but just not enough. He made get weighed, breast feed in the office and weigh me again. His diagnosis--keep trying. I said but she is starving. That was the last time I saw him.

wlrquilts
May 21st, 2014, 10:33 AM
While I am not a mother, I do know that my niece was barely 3 months old and my nephew was just over 4 months when they got their first teeth as I remember my sister-in-law telling me how sharp they were :)

Ahamblin
May 21st, 2014, 10:47 AM
Ryan - I would certainly look for another doctor. I can understand the doctor's trying to cover themselves in the world today with everyone being so lawsuit happy but some doctors take this to the extreme. Find a doctor that you are comfortable with and who shows and uses common sense. The one thing I learned a long time ago with my kids was that babies don't read the books and will do things on their own schedule and for a doctor to say that Sawyer could not be teething because of a certain age is not bright. My DGS, who is 2-1/2 started teething at 4 months birth age which was actually 2 months development age because he was 2 months early. Now it took awhile for the teeth to come through but even his doctor said he was teething and gave them a variety of remedies to make him more comfortable.
I would find another doctor.

EmmaB
May 21st, 2014, 10:58 AM
Crazy thing is, if you would have taken him to his pediatrician more than likely you would have been told to give him Tylenol.

Money and greed that is all this world is anymore.

GrammaBabs
May 21st, 2014, 10:59 AM
Sandy says it best for sure... my David had his first toot appear around 3 months.... so "liar,liar, pants on fire,,, and every child is different,,, and as always... the good parents generally know what's best for their child,,,, Nurses and doctors need to learn the difference and not be trying to "make money"... I'm sure there is another office with doctors that respect the parents and have much better patients "manners"... keep us posted....

donella
May 21st, 2014, 11:18 AM
My neice was born with 2 teeth.

bubba
May 21st, 2014, 11:58 AM
I too, would change doctors! Our first daughter had her first tooth come in before she was three months old, so clearly, it does happen!

When our youngest daughter was small, she had severe ear problems and my husband had to take her one day. The doctor was having a hard time clearing out her ears enough to look in them, and our daughter was understandably not a happy camper. From what I understand, there was quite an exchange of words between her (the doctor) and my husband which resulted in the doctor being asked to leave the examining room. We never saw that woman again...she stayed in practice, but only for older kids, not the young ones she could not communicate with. Our kids loved the new doctor so much that the youngest one continued to see him all the way thru high school even tho they normally treated kids only till age sixteen. To this day she still speaks fondly of him.

So yes, follow your instincts as a parent, and find a new doctor you like, can communicate openly with and who will listen to you.

Amarillo19
May 21st, 2014, 12:25 PM
Always keep in mind that 1) the doctor works for you. You hire him/her because you pay for the service. 2) A doctor's number one concern is his/her a$$ and liability. 3) A doctor's number two concern is how much money is there to be made. Time to change doctors.

IBake
May 21st, 2014, 01:10 PM
You are little Sawyers' advocate in the world right now. You are also his protector and guardian of his life. Drop any Pediatrician that isn't willing to work with you on his care.

Having a hubby who was an AF Officer when our kids were growing up, I know how frustrating it can be to find a doctor to work with you. I was treated much as your wife was. Military wives were not considered to have any knowledge and were treated more like someone who was only responsible for carting the kids around. The day that they sent me home with my second grader who had been diagnosed with mono, and told me he could go back to school in three days was the day I found a new civilian doctor.

If you want to drive to Ashburn, my DIL and son have a ped. who must be an angel. She walks through fire for her patients and listens to parents as a partner in the kids lives.

Don't fuss about it, just get a new ped. Check with people you know who have kids....that is one of your best sources.

songbird857
May 21st, 2014, 01:55 PM
There are good doctors that are not afraid to trust a parent's instincts - I'm sure you will find one :)
I knew I had a good pedi for my girls when my youngest was 3 and had a persistent cough for about 3 days (keeping her up all night) - I brought her in and she saw the Dr (who has long since retired :() - He examined her and said "give her a teaspoon of Nyquil" - Nyquil????? "Can I do that???" I asked...
He said that the worst thing they did was to remove alcohol from children's cough medicine - it makes them sleepy and when they are sick they need sleep... Love that whole office - My girls are now 21 and 19 and still go there - my older one is sad that she has to move on to an adult dr... my younger one can still squeak by for a few more years ;)

Vonnie
May 21st, 2014, 02:05 PM
Check with the parents of the other children at daycare and find out who likes their doctors.

We also had our children while in the military - we would be lucky to see the same doctor twice.

Went back to work when oldest was 6 weeks old. First thing out of my babysitters mouth was that I was starving my baby. The doctor very forcefully told me no solid foods until 4 to 6 months. My baby was going through a full bottle every 2 hours around the clock. It was going straight through him. My babysitter told me that I needed an infa feeder with a little bit of baby cereal mixed in. That slowed the formula down so he could actually get some calories from it. She also said that doctor was not getting up every 2 hours through the night. My son had a very high metabolism. It took a couple of weeks but he start going longer between feedings during the night. He kept his high metabolism all through school until he started college. My youngest was text book on feeding. No cereal at all and started veggies at 4 months and fruits at 6 months. Slept through the night right from the start. In other words all children are different.

auntiemern
May 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM
Trust your instincts. Talk to to other parents for recommendations. Yes babies DO get teeth that early, I know the same way so many others know. I too have a real issue with the new 'guidelines' that pediatricians are supposed to follow. The wait and let it run its course is borderline abusive to me. Why should children suffer with teething pain, congestion, and a number of other ailments that are easily treated with OTC meds. Your first instinct as a parent is to take away the pain and discomfort. Keep doing what you are doing what you are, and make your little man comfortable.

SallyO'Sews
May 21st, 2014, 03:28 PM
Ryan, would you like me to p/m you the name of my DS/DIL#1's pediatrician? they are in Damascus; not sure where the doctor is. Let me know.

My other DS#3 (who lives near me) and DIL had quite an experience with our pediatrician's office.

We have been going to these folks since DD#6 was born; so over 25 years. The doc we first saw retired a year or two ago, but all of them are wonderful. When DGS was born a month premie 4 years ago, DS and DIL took him to the same practice. Because all ten of my children have been patients there (and all but the youngest have "aged out" of the practice), I'm on a first-name basis with lots of the staff. Just truly great folks.

DS#3 works for the local office of a very large financial services corporation. Their health insurance has a health savings account attached to it (along with a very high deductible), from which you are required to pay all of your medical bills. The company funds the savings account every pay period (2x a month if I'm not mistaken). DS and DIL's 3rd child was born last October, and because they had just finished off paying her OB and hospitalization bill, by January the HSA was pretty well depleted, but you start all over with the very high deductible on January 1. So DIL called the business office of the pediatrician's office (located in a neighboring town) and spoke with them about her bill. She explained the situation with the HSA, and they looked at her records, saw she was sending a check in every month as funds were being put into the HSA by the employer, and told DIL no problem, we see what the situation is, bring Baby C in for his 4-month check-up in February.

So she arrives at the office with all three children in tow. DGS age 4 announces he has to go to the potty RIGHT NOW just as she approaches the window to give Baby C's name. The nurse says, no problem, I'll take him to the bathroom and opens the door for him to go in. DIL is trying to hold Baby C while filling out paperwork, keep an eye on DGD age 2 who is making friends with all the nice sick children in the waiting room and playing with the toys they have been handling, and hoping against hope that DGS made it to the potty without making a mess all over the bathroom and remembers to wash his hands.

After a couple of minutes, DGS comes out of the bathroom, just as the nurse reappears and says, "We're ready for Baby C." DIL gets DGD and heads for the door into the offices.

"NO!! She can NOT see the doctor!" yells the secretary from behind the desk. "What do you mean?" says the nurse. "SHE HASN'T PAID HER OUTSTANDING BILL!!" says the secretary, loudly enough so that everyone in the waiting room and the offices can hear. DIL is so rattled by now, and so humiliated, that she just grabbed DGS and DGD and Baby C and drove home in tears.

Not long after, I got a call from DS#3, who wants to know if I know any other pediatricians in town. He repeats the story to me, and I advise him to do two things: 1. Call the office manager and explain what has happened, and then 2. Write a letter to the pediatricians, thanking them for the excellent care they have been giving our family for the past quarter-century, but explaining that sadly, we cannot continue our relationship with them, and requesting that all the children's records be sent to the new pediatrician. (I was seriously composing my own dismissal letter, even though my youngest is 17!)

I was pretty calm with DS#3 on the phone, but within five minutes after hanging up, I was boiling mad. Something to know about DIL#3: she is the most lovely human being you could ever hope to meet. She is drop-dead gorgeous, sweeter than you can imagine, smart, funny, and has more personal integrity than most people I know. She is also Jamaican-American; and without DS#3 with her at the office... well, let's just say, it would not be the first time that someone made false assumptions about a young black woman with 3 little kids who apparently was a bit late in paying her bill. Makes me sick to my stomach that people are still that vile, but it is unfortunately the case with some, even here in "Progressive" New England.

So, DS#3 calls the business office and has to leave a message, because by now it's after 4 p.m. and they are closed. At 5:30, however, he gets a call on his cell phone from the business manager, who had stayed late at work that day and managed to listen to the voice-mail just as she was about to go home for the day. Well, she just about fell all over herself apologizing: "Mr. M, I am so sorry! I want you to know that is NOT how we treat our patients and their families, and that is CERTAINLY not how I train my people. What can I do to make this up to you?"

DS#3 said, "Well, you don't have to do anything for me. But I'm not the one who has to take our children into that office; my wife is. I would appreciate it if you would call her tomorrow around 1 p.m. when the little ones are down for their afternoon naps. Whether we stay with this practice needs to be her decision, not mine."

Sure enough, DIL got a call the next day a 1 p.m. sharp from the business office manager. DIL is not one to carry a grudge, and she and DS#3 did not end up leaving the practice, which I was glad about. My understanding is that the secretary who was so mean to her was a new hire. Don't know whether she is still there, but if she is, I don't think they're allowing her to have any more contact with patients or their family members. :icon_shake:

Oh, and DS#3 thanked me for being so calm on the phone. He had not told me that after DIL called him in tears, he had left work and was sitting in the car outside the pediatrician's office. He was just about to go inside and really give them a piece of his very irate mind, when he stopped long enough to call me. I had to laugh; he had no idea how furious I was!

Go after me, fine.
Go after my kids, be very careful.
But don't you even THINK about going after ANY of my daughters-in-love!! :icon_slap:

vchale
May 21st, 2014, 03:40 PM
By all means I say find another pediatrician who will give you some credit for common sense and knowing your own baby. All 4 of mine cut teeth at 4 months. Also, sometimes kids will run a fever for no apparent reason. Happened with my 4 yr old granddaughter just 2 weeks ago when I was taking care of her when her new baby brother was born.
When I was at the doctors office with my youngest one time he and the nurse were horrified that I had given him baby aspirin. I told them he would not take Tylenol. Of course they insisted he would and forced it down him. We walked out to the waiting room and he threw up all over the place. My only regret is it didn't happen a few minutes earlier.
Glad he slept and good luck finding a good doc.

kensington
May 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM
It depends. I have my dr and you couldn't pay me to change. If he told me something I disagreed with, I'd do it. He is the best dr I've had in my life. If I wanted to do something with my kids and he said no, I'd trust him and wait it out.

Your child may or may not be teething... I'm not a dr so I won't say. But, if you feel you have lost trust with your Ped, then by all means move on.

I think the way you will need to go is to call your insurance and ask for providers in your area and check them out. Look them up and see what kind of practice they have and what's going on. The longer route is to find dr's and see if they take your insurance. The fastest is to ask your insurance for a list of providers you can choose from.

I think though, your dr is wise to want to see the child before signing that paper. Tylenol can damage the liver when given improperly and he has no way to know what your daycare will do. He probably doesn't know you that well either, being that your baby is only 3.5 months old. If you took the baby in to see him, he might decide that he is indeed in early teething and change his mind. But, he hasn't done anything wrong to want to know more about the situation. A low grade fever for ongoing days could be many things... onset of ear infection, teething, or a few other things.

We never gave Tylenol for a low grad 100 degree fever. We didn't give it until it was points past 101 going on 102. Our bodies are naturally created to fight infection, and that is what that fever means. His system is fighting something and it may need to run it's course. HTH.

You'll have to decide.

Wwena
May 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM
Change doctors. I wouldn't want one that wanted me to bring my kids in every time they got a slight fever.

That being said, I don't really think it's the daycare's place to make that call and over here they wouldn't even offer - we'd have pick up our kids if they had a fever. I think that's just as well. There's no way of KNOWING if they are teething when the fever hits (I know some doctors argue that they don't get a fever from teething).

Btw some babies are born with teeth! They should know better than to say he's too young.

tamsterg7
May 21st, 2014, 11:30 PM
Our first child cut her first teeth (two bottom at same time), at 3 months to the day. I think you and Mom sound like normal, level headed, responsible parents - which by the way is so refreshing! I would agree that it might be best to find a new doctor. Better to do it now, when the issue is small like teething, than have to do it in the midst of something more serious.

stationarymom
May 22nd, 2014, 02:55 AM
Ryan do you have any friends or co workers that have your insurance and children? if s I would start there ask them if they are happy with their dr. you can also make appts. for consultation just to meet the dr. I know this is a pain and more time from work but at least you could have a face to face and ask all your questions (write them down) that you have about the dr and how they handle things before you choose them.Good luck! I went through this also because when ever i asked the dr we had chosen why my son was doing something she told me because babies do that.

toggpine
May 22nd, 2014, 03:03 AM
Hyland's Teething Tablets.

Really. They are 100% natural. Dissolve quickly and are very effective. My best friend gave me a bottle as a baby shower gift. I was a bit hesitant, but she is a pharmacist and she told me that they work better and safer than anything she had behind her counter.

I love them. I have even used them on my own headaches. I can't take most OTC meds as they cause unpleasant side affects.

I'd get a new doctor too. I didn't get a special pediatrician. I just took the little miss to our family Dr. I haven't been sorry.

I have had to deal with 2 pediatricians since I have taken in the boys and I'm hunting for another. I DO NOT like the way they treat the children. They pin them down to give them their vaccinations and the one yesterday had me put the little guy in a full-body hold that could have qualified as a "wrestling hold of the week". While I have had to hold a leg for an injection at our Dr., it was never like this. I just wish our Dr. took state insurance.

Do what you feel is best for your family.

Blondie
May 22nd, 2014, 06:56 AM
Change dr's and get the Hylands. Good stuff.
Poor little man, poor big daddy, and extra poor, poor Mommy.

rebeccas-sewing
May 22nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
I would NOT be happy if I was spoken to in a condescending manner. That would be reason enough to change physicians for me. In his defense, though, I wouldn't want daycare administering any kind of meds to my baby unless they had a registered nurse on the premises. Maybe that's paranoia on my part, but I alone would want to be responsible for giving my child medicine. I'm assuming you are both working and that's why your child is in daycare. If you can't get a doctor who will sign the form, is it possible for you to take a break or go on your lunch hour and give your son the Tylenol yourself? Why does the doctor even have to get involved? If you trust this center can't you give written permission for them to give the meds? I don't understand why your doctor is expected to sign off on over-the counter meds. His signature makes him liable if anything should happen to your child due to a problem with medicating. People are so ready to sue if something goes wrong. I'm sure your doctor is protecting himself with good reason. As is your daycare otherwise they wouldn't be expecting a signed paper from you.

rebeccas-sewing
May 22nd, 2014, 11:14 AM
If you are not happy with what the doctor is advising I would definitely find a new doctor. If your child is teething and you feel certain that's the problem give him the Tylenol. I don't see a need to go to the doctor if you feel strongly that teething is the problem. I also find it odd that he/she is telling you he's too young to be getting his baby teeth. I'm sure there's an average time their teeth come in but not all babies fall in the average range.

MsRabbott
May 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
The needing a signed authorization from the doctor is standard practice for any Licensed Daycare Provider. It's a State requirement, and so is documentation for any and all doses they administer. If they get caught administering meds without all the paperwork on file they can be shut down, fined, and worse! Having a doctor tell you that they won't sign an authorization because they don't think the Daycare should have the ability to administer meds is just ridiculous. It's easy to find if there's any complaints on file about any State Licensed facility, and if the parents have a bad feeling about the center to where they don't trust them to give a child Tylenol, then the child shouldn't be in that center to begin with. You gotta trust your gut!

snippet
May 22nd, 2014, 07:42 PM
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. I would stick it out a bit and keep this in the back of my head for future reference.

I can see why the doctor wouldn't want to sign the paper. I wouldn't sign the paper either. Years ago, when my kids were babies, I was given a form to sign as the parent to allow tylenol be given by the day care. I wouldn't sign it, not while they were babies. I did sign later when they were older and because I was more secure with the day care's procedures and the employees.

Yes, the doctor was short with your wife. That's unfortunate, perhaps there were other circumstances, but still it's not good to treat moms, especially new moms with sick babies, that way.

I don't know your day care or your doctor, but I would trust my doctor more than day care professionals and their employees. Sawyer is so young, I'd hate to have him being medicated without proper supervision at this point.

WendyI
May 22nd, 2014, 08:16 PM
This would TOTALLY Pi$$ me OFF! :icon_mad::icon_mad::icon_mad: NO one, not a doctor or ANY other person, knows your child as you do...first time parent or not. They have some NERVE to speak to your wife that way the poor thing!! Please give her a hug from me...that's just NOT right! I think it's ridiculous that the daycare has to have a note from a doctor (ridiculous law IMO). The parents are the ones who decide...period.

The fact that they were so disrespectful would be the number one reason for me leaving that practice. So many people think that doctors know all and should be listened to at all costs. There are people in EVERY profession who suck at their jobs and doctors are no different. I just fired my own doctor after 15 years...he was THE most incompetent, uncaring doctor I have EVER had! I'm so happy with my new one.

You KNOW what is best for YOUR child and you are both educated, intelligent people. That kind of treatment is beyond unacceptable. Good luck finding a new one. Hopefully better than you had. Then I'd be writing the old one and giving them what for!

New York Sue
May 22nd, 2014, 11:09 PM
Okay, my two cents. And I should probably start of with apologizing to anyone I'm about to offend....

First off, you are very new parents. And you're unsure of yourselves. Completely understandable.
But I wouldn't drop the Ped, unless you spoke to her/him directly, and were made to feel uneasy. Staff, not so much....

I would NOT feel comfortable, with giving a Daycare permission, unless there's are licensed professionals on board. It all chinks down to license and accountability. PERIOD.

When was 100.2 a fever, anyhow? It's been 100.5 forever....

Part TWO. Not related to Ryan's post necessarily....
Most stuff facing us today, is viral. I was appalled today, when my 34 year old daughter was prescribed a Z-pack (erythromycin) for the sniffles, cheat congestion. A Doctor I trusted, and have been trying to get into....REALLY?!
We really have to PAY attention to the misuse of antibiotics!
If you need links, message me!

maxwellthecat
May 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
If you feel uncomfortable with Sawyer's doctor, then by all means you have to change. You have to find one that you have trust and he has compassion in caring for your son but, also for you and Ryan. I don't want anybody to be upset with me but, I have never heard of a Daycare administrating ANY type of medication. If god for bid one of my DGS's gets a fever at school, they will call my DD or DSonIL. The only medication they will give a child is an antibiotic that a parent has to bring to the school in a brown lunch bag and a note from the doctor. PLEASE, don't get mad at me for saying this but, I don't blame the doctor for not signing the form. He is being safe for your son and also himself.
I really hope you find a great doctor that you will all love, you will be seeing him for a very long time. ;)

Doloris
May 23rd, 2014, 12:48 AM
This is why it is called PRACTICING MEDICINE

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 12:56 PM

Really. They are 100% natural. Dissolve quickly and are very effective. My best friend gave me a bottle as a baby shower gift. I was a bit hesitant, but she is a pharmacist and she told me that they work better and safer than anything she had behind her counter.

I love them. I have even used them on my own headaches. I can't take most OTC meds as they cause unpleasant side affects.

I'd get a new doctor too. I didn't get a special pediatrician. I just took the little miss to our family Dr. I haven't been sorry.

I have had to deal with 2 pediatricians since I have taken in the boys and I'm hunting for another. I DO NOT like the way they treat the children. They pin them down to give them their vaccinations and the one yesterday had me put the little guy in a full-body hold that could have qualified as a "wrestling hold of the week". While I have had to hold a leg for an injection at our Dr., it was never like this. I just wish our Dr. took state insurance.

Even though they are all natural they really should not be given to babies. The active ingredient is belladonna or bellaalkaloid which is a natural narcotic. So, obviously a narcotic would work well for teething or a headache, but should we really be treating teething with a narcotic???!!! They are marketed as a food supplement so they loopholed around any FDA regulations.

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 01:01 PM
By all means I say find another pediatrician who will give you some credit for common sense and knowing your own baby. All 4 of mine cut teeth at 4 months. Also, sometimes kids will run a fever for no apparent reason. Happened with my 4 yr old granddaughter just 2 weeks ago when I was taking care of her when her new baby brother was born.
When I was at the doctors office with my youngest one time he and the nurse were horrified that I had given him baby aspirin. I told them he would not take Tylenol. Of course they insisted he would and forced it down him. We walked out to the waiting room and he threw up all over the place. My only regret is it didn't happen a few minutes earlier.
Glad he slept and good luck finding a good doc.

Shame on them for not explaining WHY you should never give baby aspirin to a baby! If an infant has a viral illness and baby aspirin is given it can cause IRREVERSIBLE and FATAL liver disease called Reyes Syndrome that can only be cured with a liver transplant!!!!!!

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 01:03 PM

Even though they are all natural they really should not be given to babies. The active ingredient is belladonna or bellaalkaloid which is a natural narcotic. So, obviously a narcotic would work well for teething or a headache, but should we really be treating teething with a narcotic???!!! They are marketed as a food supplement so they loopholed around any FDA regulations.

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 01:06 PM
Change dr's and get the Hylands. Good stuff.
Poor little man, poor big daddy, and extra poor, poor Mommy.

Hylands teething tablets work " so well" because they contain the narcotic belladonna or Bella alkaloid. Really should not be given to babies except on occasion as they can be addictive and cause withdrawal. Since they are marketed as a food supplement and not as a medication they do not fall under FDA regulations.

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 01:12 PM
Shame on them for not explaining WHY you should never give baby aspirin to a baby! If an infant has a viral illness and baby aspirin is given it can cause IRREVERSIBLE and FATAL liver disease called Reyes Syndrome that can only be cured with a liver transplant!!!!!!

After reading all of the posts, I agree with you guys finding a new doc for your precious pot of gold. Our medical industry has a great many changes in store, sadly none for the better. Things like this are only going to happen more and more. Fear of getting sued is fueling much of it, and it will only get worse with the new laws going into effect in the next several years. So sad but true!

GuitarGramma
June 22nd, 2014, 03:42 PM
Ryan, I hope I won't offend you, but I can understand the doctor not wanting to sign the form. Tylenol is pretty potent medicine, even though it's over the counter. A small overdose is bad for adults, let alone infants. Looking back, it's one of the products I would have been more careful with, but I thought it was totally benign. It's much better for you and Mrs. Handsome Ryan to have full control over the eye dropper. Don't let your daycare give ANY medicine to your kids. They simply can't care as much about Sawyer as you do.

Another issue is the fever. 100.2 is not normal, and Sawyer is so young that he should be checked. 100.2 says that the body is trying to burn something off. Your pediatrician is showing appropriate concern. FYI, none of my four kids ever got fevers when they were teething, so 100.2 is not necessarily benign even if Sawyer is teething.

Again, I hope I haven't offended you. I'm just a concerned cyber-auntie!

Jerry's wife
June 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
The first thing that I would do in finding a new doctor for your children is ASK other parents how they feel about their doctors. Then an office visit, then the final decision. One of my daughters had teeth by 3 months, so someone is wrong saying that your child could not be cutting teeth. Truly, to find out what is wrong is the major thing, so that your child does not suffer. But, you are THE one who MUST be happy with the doctors too so you feel you are getting the best care that you can. Go with your heart!

HandsomeRyan
June 22nd, 2014, 07:04 PM
I'm not offended but I respectfully disagree.

A baby's normal temperature is higher than an adults so a "fever" of 100.2 is not anything that a doctor is going to offer treatment for. If I rushed my baby to the doctor every time he was a little fussy and his temperature was 1 degree above normal they could name a wing of the pediatricians office after me for how much I was paying. A low grade fever is very normal and well characterized symptom of teething. Not all babies will get this and it does not last for the entire time the baby teeths but it is not unusual.

The workers who are allowed to dispense medicine at our daycare (primarily management and one or two of the most senior teachers) go to special training which they must recertify annually to be able to dispense medicine. If I didn't trust them to give baby tylenol, I wouldn't trust them to care for my child in general. It is a disingenuous argument to say that "[The daycare] simply can't care as much about Sawyer as you do" since the same could be said of the doctor.

Ultimately, we did find a new pediatrician who we like a lot more so all is well again.

Louise
June 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Ryan glad you found a new doctor for your son did you or your wife get teeth early? Teeth are hereditary so if one of you got them at 3-4 months he certainly can too!

bhaggerty
June 22nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
I'm not offended but I respectfully disagree.

A baby's normal temperature is higher than an adults so a "fever" of 100.2 is not anything that a doctor is going to offer treatment for. If I rushed my baby to the doctor every time he was a little fussy and his temperature was 1 degree above normal they could name a wing of the pediatricians office after me for how much I was paying. A low grade fever is very normal and well characterized symptom of teething. Not all babies will get this and it does not last for the entire time the baby teeths but it is not unusual.

The workers who are allowed to dispense medicine at our daycare (primarily management and one or two of the most senior teachers) go to special training which they must recertify annually to be able to dispense medicine. If I didn't trust them to give baby tylenol, I wouldn't trust them to care for my child in general. It is a disingenuous argument to say that "[The daycare] simply can't care as much about Sawyer as you do" since the same could be said of the doctor.

Ultimately, we did find a new pediatrician who we like a lot more so all is well again.

I think you made the right decision for your family to find a new Pedi. After all you will need to be on the same team with that person for the next 12-18 years!
I totally agree with what you stated above in regards to your daycare. I interviewed the ones in the area and found the perfect one for us. My kids went to daycare and I very much trusted the gals that took care of them. if not, I would have never let them stay there!
Teething can cause 'fevers" up to 100.9, but if over 101 it is usually something more. even then it could just be a virus and still not need anything more than the correct dose of Tylenol (never baby aspirin - reason mentioned above, and no ibuprofen until at least 6 months old, and the teething tablets only once in a blue moon - but I personally would not recommend them nor give them to my kids).
Teething can occur anytime - from birth on. Some kids are born with natal teeth an others may not cut a tooth until 15 months old. Early or late teething is hereditary as well.
also the post about the acidy poops with teething is spot on! another old school trick for that is liquid Maalox topically on the diaper rash then coat with a good diaper ointment such as triple paste, dr. smith's or beaudreaux's butt paste.