PDA

View Full Version : seems a little creepy

emraed2
May 19th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Last night I was searching the web for margaret tully (she is an educator for BL). Anyway...One of the sites I went to had a web address in the page box and for whatever reason I highlighted it clicked on it and it showed me a post I had made on M* earlier in the day. Kinda freeked me out. Today I tried it again the same way and the same thing happened. I tried only using the web addy as meigsandwicker.com and got something completely different. So who the heck is meigsandwicker and what are they doing with my M* post???? If anyone wants to try it go to margarettully.meigsandwicker.com then copy the address straight from the address box and go to and see if YOUR post on M* appears. Somebody's got some splainin to do!

Vonnie
May 19th, 2014, 05:17 PM
I did not get anything but a webpage where none of the links worked.

Kateskloset
May 19th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I didn't get anything either.

GuitarGramma
May 19th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I tried, too, and saw just a "regular" web page for Margaret Tulley. I also tried just the Meigs and Wicker link and, like you, got a completely different site. But I couldn't see where you clicked and got your M* post. Do you recall what you clicked? Because you're right, this all sounds a little creepy.

Judy, USMC
May 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Just back from checking it out - didn't have a problem. Didn't see anything but the page.

Cat77
May 19th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Emraed, when's the last time you deleted your cookies? I think it might have to do with that.

emraed2
May 19th, 2014, 06:46 PM
This is what I did76365 Then I highlighted the address and right clicked on it, then clicked copy and go and my post on M* appeared. So just now I downloaded the post so I could attach it here and when I went to get it from my download file I got this in red letters: SECURITY WARNING: Please treat the URL above as you would your password and do not share it with anyone. So then I tried to upload the file again and the entire box was full of usernames and other stuff from the forum so I am NOT going there again!!! IDK much about comps and maybe it means nothing. IDK P.S. I am LMAO because the title of the pic is you're in the loop and I guess I am. But I don't want to be.

emraed2
May 19th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I just went back to look at that security warning and the tab says facebook cross-domain so IDK what the heck, maybe it is cookies or FB spies that like to track people so they can send them ads on FB.

Cat77
May 19th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Check here and follow the instructions: How to delete cookies (http://www.aboutcookies.org/DEFAULT.ASPX?page=2)

I'd also suggest logging out of FB when you're not using it/ended your session.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM
My posts show up on Google. Could this be the same situation?

emraed2
May 19th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I always log out of FB and M* any any other places I have to log in. I did a search for cross domain and it's complicated but it has to do with cookies and tracking and security. Thanks for the info and I will delete cookies more often. The spies are probably disappointed that I have such a boring life....all about sewing stuff. Ha.I have no secrets to keep so IDC what they do. The NSA will probably check me out now that I used the terms cross domain, security, and spy! LOL Life is good!

Lindagie
May 19th, 2014, 11:30 PM
I've seen some of my posts (and others from this site) out there when googling a topic. Deleting cookies might prevent this from happening then? I guess I thought that whatever we posted on this site stayed here.

Sheena
May 20th, 2014, 04:28 AM
http://meigsandwicker.com/images/logo.jpg

Sheena
May 20th, 2014, 04:29 AM
Above is what I got for meigasandwicker.com

Cat77
May 20th, 2014, 05:27 AM
I've seen some of my posts (and others from this site) out there when googling a topic. Deleting cookies might prevent this from happening then? I guess I thought that whatever we posted on this site stayed here.

No, google is a different story altogether. They have crawlers that gather information that is put out there in the net. That's how you can find the information you need when you google something.
People, what you put here on the forum is not private, sooner or later it's all out there!