PDA

View Full Version : cutting fabric order at M* ??? you might want to know...

songbird857
May 19th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Ok, this is not a big deal for me, because I do not need one continuous cut; but I thought that this was a bit weird.
I ordered the bella solids white yardage on the DD last week (2 yards was the max order at the DD price). I ordered 3 yards, paying the DD price for 2 of the yards, and regular price for the other yard. I received it today and it was cut into two separate pieces! (a 2 yard piece and a 1 yard piece - obviously reflecting the way it was in the cart because of the price difference)
Again, not a concern for me, but it may be a concern for someone that needed a longer length for a border or a larger piece. I guess my best advice would be to put a note in the comments if you order yardage that is a DD, to ensure that it is treated as one cut of fabric.

bubba
May 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM
That seems odd to me. I would think if you ordered three yards, you would get one three yard piece, not two pieces! I agree with you though, if it was for borders, it would not make me a happy camper.

Jess1377
May 19th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Yeah, they made it seem as if "they would take care of it" (their words not mine) that they would just adjust the price and not send 2 different cuts. I was a bit irritated to be honest but what can you do other than sew the pieces together and have a seam when you didnt really want to sew there. Oh well. Maybe they see this thread and might not do it again or I think I will add a comment on my order for one continuous cut and not two if there is a dd for yardage i like again.

Gina
May 19th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for sharing! I will try to remember that for the next time they have a daily deal on yardage!

vchale
May 19th, 2014, 01:12 PM
I had a similar problem with wide backing I ordered from Joann's. Frustrating! In MSQC's defense I think this was related to allowing 2 yd cuts with the daily deal. I'm sure they either had these cut ahead of time or had one person cranking out these 2 yd cuts and had to add an extra one for you. I know sometimes they have only a certain amount of the daily deal offered at that price and maybe that was the case here. They already had their allotted number precut.

Cat77
May 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Hmm, it could very well be that that is a problem with the computer system (you know, that they have to scan in the different products they put in a package and because of the different prices you have two items in your cart, so the system has to add to separate items as well).

Panda
May 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Be careful using the comment box. I used it and what I requested was not taken care of.

Kathy

Jean Sewing Machine
May 19th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I have a feeling they precut their maximum number of 2 yard cuts for the daily deal, then added to the individual orders to make up the requested yardage. I ordered 5 yards and it came in a 2 yard and a 3 yard piece.

songbird857
May 19th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I have a feeling they precut their maximum number of 2 yard cuts for the daily deal, then added to the individual orders to make up the requested yardage. I ordered 5 yards and it came in a 2 yard and a 3 yard piece.
It may be a good idea to put something on the DD page when it's yardage stating that this will be cut separately... just thinking out loud :)

Sharyn J
May 19th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I ordered 4 yds and got two packages of 2yds each.

Vonnie
May 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I ordered 4 yds and got two packages of 2yds each.

I would not be a happy camper with that!

Sharyn J
May 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM
In defense of getting 2 packages, I checked my order and I do remember that I added the DD to the cart. I did not see that 2 yards were allowed at the special prices. I knew that I wanted 4 yards and I should have updated the original cart, but my brain wasn't thinking and I added 3 yards as addition item to add to the cart. The computer worked it out so I got 2yds for the special, but separated the order. I don't really mind. I just needed some basic for stash.

yeeehawterri
May 19th, 2014, 11:16 PM
I ordered 4 yds total, and honestly, was glad it came in 2 yd increments. I hate wrangling those longer cuts. I just ordered to finish a project and add to my stash. Its all good. Got a good deal and I'm a happy camper.

BillNye
May 19th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Hey everyone, I'm really sorry if you got your package from us and were disappointed, that's never what we want to do :( I agree we should put some more specific verbiage on there about the potential for two cuts. We haven't done a yardage deal in a while because the volume of daily deal orders has gotten a little big for us. We've been precutting two yard cuts for the last 5 weeks so we could get orders out in a reasonable amount of time (not joking, 5 weeks we've been working on this deal) I think we were just excited to get orders out within a very few days, we overlooked the fact that the normal expectation is to put it all in one continuous cut :( I'll keep working on the process and see if I can figure out how to do this better.

If you needed a continuous piece, PLEASE don't just sit on it and be disappointed, call or email and we'll send a return label and get you the continuous piece you need for your project. Sorry again if this was unexpected!

AuntieVic
May 19th, 2014, 11:46 PM
I ordered the yardage also, and expect the delivery of it tomorrow. This one will be ok coming in two cuts, as I will be cutting it up anyway.

And I am glad that BillNye will work on making it different on future daily deal yardage. If I had yardage for either border or the back then 1 continuous cut would be best. Thanks Al for letting us know that you are working on it, and thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention that you can take back and recut the yardage if they need it that way. (I can see how 5 weeks prep time would be needed when yardage is the daily deal.)

Kgrammiecaz
May 20th, 2014, 12:10 AM
I wish yardage was the daily deal way more often.

I dont mind the smaller cuts and as long as I know, I wont purchase the dail deal yardage when I need longer lengths.

kensington
May 20th, 2014, 12:36 AM
That's never happened to me. Jean, I've never seen them precut yardage. I've been there the day after yardage was the DD and they were cutting it as they went... one order at a time.

kensington
May 20th, 2014, 12:39 AM
Hey everyone, I'm really sorry if you got your package from us and were disappointed, that's never what we want to do :( I agree we should put some more specific verbiage on there about the potential for two cuts. We haven't done a yardage deal in a while because the volume of daily deal orders has gotten a little big for us. We've been precutting two yard cuts for the last 5 weeks so we could get orders out in a reasonable amount of time (not joking, 5 weeks we've been working on this deal) I think we were just excited to get orders out within a very few days, we overlooked the fact that the normal expectation is to put it all in one continuous cut :( I'll keep working on the process and see if I can figure out how to do this better.

If you needed a continuous piece, PLEASE don't just sit on it and be disappointed, call or email and we'll send a return label and get you the continuous piece you need for your project. Sorry again if this was unexpected!

Well, trial and error... now you know, that was an error! LOL.

rebeccas-sewing
May 20th, 2014, 04:34 AM
WOW!!! Five weeks in advance pre-cutting yardage is incredible to me. I wonder just how many orders they filled for this DD?

songbird857
May 20th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks for chiming in here Al.....Wow! 5 weeks ahead - I did neglect to mention that the turnaround time was fabulous :)
As I said before, the two cuts are not an issue for me because I know I will be cutting it for piecing... just caught me off guard a bit :)

Blonde Biker
May 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM
maybe M* should give an option or a way to clarify that you need it in one piece.

Louise
May 20th, 2014, 08:15 PM
My memory could be wrong but when I saw Jenny in December she said the daily deal always had a certain amount of that item ( I thought she said 500) but I could. Be very wrong so my thinking is they cut that many 2 yard pieces and if you wNted more you got a second cut.

Chanticlair
May 20th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I received the same split in yardage and it doesn't matter for the plan I have for the fabric. There may come a time when it would matter and I will make a note in the comments section. Al, you all are doing a fine job and the improvement in shipping time is obvious and welcomed. I'm sure you will figure out a way to work this out. The Doan family's willingness to make us all happy is evident too. Thanks, Cheryl