PDA

View Full Version : Do you own one of those reciept scanners?

Hulamoon
May 19th, 2014, 01:53 AM
I renovated my aunts house about two years ago and never added up how much that whole trip cost. Which includes the house, gas,gifts, plane fair ect. I have a whole bag of receipts and a file folder. I think I just wanted to leave it all behind me. But I need to do it.

I see them on Tv and was wondering if they are worth it and easy to use?

Quiltfreestyle
May 19th, 2014, 02:04 AM
Hi Lorie
I don't know about the machine on TV but we use scanners at work to record invoices & deposits. We are a paperless office & everything gets scanned into the accounting software & filed that way.
It's really cool as long as you can retrieve what you scan. Not sure how the tv version files things.
One hint I have, if you don't scan the receipts you should at least photocopy them. The paper they use for most receipts nowadays, fade away after a year or two.

GuitarGramma
May 19th, 2014, 02:24 AM
Hi Lorie,

I have one and use it regularly. I'm aiming towards paperless, and it's a process to get there.

The Neat Desk (scanner from TV) has it's pros and cons. On the pro side, it scans your receipts really quickly. On the con side, it then spends about one minute analyzing your receipt and creating a data base record. You then review that record to accept it. Much of the information it *thinks* it's figured out is wrong. For example, it may scan my receipt from Missouri Star Quilt Company and say that I spent $523.92 when I'd actually spent $23.92. It thought that the "$" was a "5" and I had to correct the total.

I have no problem using the Neat Desk. But I bought one for my mom and she really can't use it. The software that goes with the scanner has really tiny print even on a big monitor. And every time you scan, they want you to tell them if your paper is single sided or double sided and whether your bill is one page or multiple pages. If they just offered radio buttons, that would be easy. But instead they have a check this box, choose an option from a drop down menu, combo of choices. My mother-- who is still actively selling real estate--simply cannot figure out what to click when.

Over all, I love my Neat Desk, but I feel like I wasted my money on the one I bought for my mom. As for your aunt's house, I think the Neat Desk is perfect for what you want to do. On the other hand, maybe just entering the info into a spread sheet would save you $300.

Hope this helps.

Hulamoon
May 19th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Thanks to you both.

Toni thanks. I really don't want to add more to the cost of this whole thing. I think I have them all paper clipped together in catatgories. I haven't looked at it awhile. I don't know how to do a spreadsheet. :(

Dang what a head ache. I hate paper work! lol

Squeaky
May 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I wanted a Neat scanner too, but my BIL convinced me the software they come with wasn't worth the price difference over a flatbed/sheet feed scanner, printer, fax in one.

I bought an HP for under $150 and have started scanning years and years of receipts and documents. The big thing is to create an organized system of naming and filing them away so you can find what you need later.

The bonus - it's a color inkjet, so now I can make quilt labels by printing directly onto fabric!

RiverMomm
May 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Have you thought about an app for your phone? I use scanner pro. I went with the "pro" part because it made emailing it to me easy. Only $1.99 and does a great job. I was surprised at how well it scanned-like a real scan from a scanner. There is a better version that costs $9.99 but I didn't need all the bells and whistles it had.

Hulamoon
May 19th, 2014, 11:33 AM
I don't own a phone. I know I'm behind the times. lol

I'm just going to scan them on my regular printer before they fade. I just didn't want to get a big mess started. But at least I can put a total on the bottom of each page. I have no clue how much I spent at Home Depot. I felt like it was my second home for awhile. lol