PDA

View Full Version : It Has Lost Some of It's Small Town Appeal

auntiemern
May 17th, 2014, 03:36 AM
The forum that is. There has been such an influx of new members, many of which have joined for the Mystery Quilt. That group has almost 1000 members in it. It has even been brought up within that particular group about creating some categories for this forum so the official clue posts can be in their own category. Those have always been kept within any group itself, and never part of the general forum. I would hate to see the entire dynamic of this wonderful place change because of the sudden growth that is primarily due to one group. For me it is quickly loosing it's close knit family appeal due to the sudden immense growth. Don't get me wrong, I welcome new members, but it is becoming increasingly less like the family that it has always been, and more like any other quilting forum. This is just my opinion, but it will be interesting to see where this entire 'marriage' is going to end up. FYI...I am all for a cure for cancer...remember I am a recent survivor. I just wouldn't want this one massive onslaught to change what we have all known an loved about our second home.

rebeccas-sewing
May 17th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I guess as with most things we have to learn to adjust to change. Rarely does anything ever stay the same. In some instances that's a good thing and in others not so great. I certainly understand how you feel, Marilyn. I used to welcome almost everyone to the Forum as they would become members and introduce themselves. The influx has been so enormous that I have had to stop welcoming everyone. I don't feel good about it but it's just too much.

Maybe this one particular group will be an out-of-the-norm group because of the subject matter. What's so sad is all of these folks have been touched by cancer in one way or another. Perhaps this group is just an unusual situation. The bottom line? What will be will be. The only ones who have any control over growth is MSQC. I'm sure their attitude is keep it coming. It helps to ensure the continued growth of their business. So far, I'm still enjoying my place here. When the day comes that I don't feel happy here that's where my control of the situation comes into play. Hopefully, that day won't come anytime soon if ever.

Monique
May 17th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I agree with the influx of new members. I can't keep up. As far as the close knit family, there are still those 'regulars' who chime in every day. That certainly has not changed. I will be like Rebecca.

Iris Girl
May 17th, 2014, 08:08 AM
sometimes we have to take the bad with the good , some growth is good. some will stay others will not. I still think we have a *core* group here that is wonderful. I also can not keep up with the newcomers. I try to welcome them then check back later and there are 20 new ones. What I miss here are the swaps we all did. They were so nice getting something someone else made. I know there were ball droppers and there always will be, but still so much fun. keep on smilin'

Jess1377
May 17th, 2014, 08:24 AM
sometimes we have to take the bad with the good , some growth is good. some will stay others will not. I still think we have a *core* group here that is wonderful. I also can not keep up with the newcomers. I try to welcome them then check back later and there are 20 new ones. What I miss here are the swaps we all did. They were so nice getting something someone else made. I know there were ball droppers and there always will be, but still so much fun. keep on smilin'

As far as the swaps go couldnt they be done by invitation only too? I am not sure honestly. But i hadnt noticed that there were less swaps going on either cause I have been so rarely around here myself due to my new position at work. That is sad though really about the fewer swaps. Just last night I was thinking about the cyber elves and mug rugs wondering if I am finally able to commit myself again to them since things are finally falling in to place at work.

I am sorry you feel that way Marilyn too! I think you make a good point though it has gotten a lot more traffic. My concern is that the structure that this forum has. I find it so easy to navigate here but if the software that is this forum cant handle the increase of people here it would be so sad to have them change to something that other forums use that are harder to navigate (like at QCA for example)

Shirley
May 17th, 2014, 09:09 AM
I've been a member for 4 years and it's amazing how big the forum has gotten. I have made some really wonderful friends!

Jean Sewing Machine
May 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I've been a member for 4 years and it's amazing how big the forum has gotten. I have made some really wonderful friends!

I have too! My guess is some folks will stay on as regulars, and others will do this mystery swap and then won't be active after that. Most of the newbie questions are about navigation of the site to find the information. The traffic of new members will cool off soon and we'll get that home town feeling back again. I do find it difficult to welcome all the new members. If the "Regulars" on the forum would just welcome 2 or 3 each day, we can offer them a welcoming hand, and if they want to keep participating, we'll just acquire new friends!

Over40momma
May 17th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Oh I really don't think there is a need to worry overmuch. This is still family, and guess what.....our distant relatives have come home!!! (I think of it like a reunion where you see people you have never heard of before. :lol: )
There is alot of activity, especially the Mystery Quilt right now, and that is fabulous! Sure, there is a bit of confusion but that, I believe, will settle down in the weeks ahead. I remember when I first came here, it all seemed so confusing; but like a well-run home, we will all be in the "groove" soon.
Big Group Hug everyone. :icon_hug:

Navy Wife
May 17th, 2014, 10:45 AM
I'm one of the more recent additions. I didn't come for the Mystery Quilt, but to find quilting friends. My local friends don't quilt, so I enjoy reading the entries on the forum. We travel a lot in our motorhome, so belonging to a guild is not an option. I can take y'all with me! I don't do swaps because of the travel, and because I'm not very good at meeting deadlines. But I enjoy reading about and seeing the swaps that take place. I'm sure the large number of new people will fall by the wayside when the Mystery Quilt is over (and maybe before).

emraed2
May 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Blame it on FB and youtube. All kidding aside, we are all here for the same basic reason. Imagine the fun we could have if we were all in a convention center together! How great would it be to see all the projects being worked on and meeting all sorts of sewing enthusiasts? I can hear the machines whirring and all the laughter and frustration of making a mistake. So many skills being learned and the pride in a job well done. We as women need to embrace and lift each other up. Encouragement is good for the soul. I am pretty much new here myself and no matter how BIG M* gets I will continue to support others. I don't have all the answers but I can continue to learn. I am grateful to all of you for the help you have offered me. Lets just be happy to be here.

GuitarGramma
May 17th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Blame it on FB and youtube. All kidding aside, we are all here for the same basic reason. Imagine the fun we could have if we were all in a convention center together! How great would it be to see all the projects being worked on and meeting all sorts of sewing enthusiasts? I can hear the machines whirring and all the laughter and frustration of making a mistake. So many skills being learned and the pride in a job well done. We as women need to embrace and lift each other up. Encouragement is good for the soul. I am pretty much new here myself and no matter how BIG M* gets I will continue to support others. I don't have all the answers but I can continue to learn. I am grateful to all of you for the help you have offered me. Lets just be happy to be here.

We'd probably blow out a fuse! I don't think there's a building on earth that could contain all of us.

Love you all. Sew on!

EnumclawGramma
May 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM
There have been times I've logged on and wondered if I was even in the same place because I didn't recognize any names! What I miss is the fabric swaps, charm swaps. I think things will settle down. Water finds it's own path, ya know?

Claire OneStitchAtATime
May 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
As a newbie, I bet it feels funny to have so many newcomers. My life has been touched by cancer too -- in fact, without getting into details, it has been steamrollered by cancer. I'm not here for the mystery quilt though. I'm here to learn to quilt, and sewing is about the only thing, next to my family, that is getting me through the days right now. I hope you'll let those of us who need quilting therapy become your friends :)

Claire Hallman
May 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM
As a newbie, I bet it feels funny to have so many newcomers. My life has been touched by cancer too -- in fact, without getting into details, it has been steamrollered by cancer. I'm not here for the mystery quilt though. I'm here to learn to quilt, and sewing is about the only thing, next to my family, that is getting me through the days right now. I hope you'll let those of us who need quilting therapy become your friends :)

A big welcome to you from one Claire to another.
I also have not been saying welcome to all the newcomers though I do welcome them and anyone else that wants to join the wonderful world of M*QC.

Doloris
May 17th, 2014, 12:19 PM

ALL are welcome here for whatever reason you have for joining. We all have problems of one sort or another and some come here for just the reasons you stated. WELCOME

Mimis-quilts
May 17th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Claire...first of all, welcome to the forum. Friends are always welcome and I completely understand your need for "quilting therapy". I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time with cancer. It's important to stay strong and focus on the future...giving yourself a goal to look forward to. Please share your quilt projects with us...we love to oooohhhh and aaaahhhhh over other's projects.

BellasQuilts
May 17th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Hear, hear!

I have too! My guess is some folks will stay on as regulars, and others will do this mystery swap and then won't be active after that. Most of the newbie questions are about navigation of the site to find the information. The traffic of new members will cool off soon and we'll get that home town feeling back again. I do find it difficult to welcome all the new members. If the "Regulars" on the forum would just welcome 2 or 3 each day, we can offer them a welcoming hand, and if they want to keep participating, we'll just acquire new friends!

BellasQuilts
May 17th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Welcome Claire from the central coast of California. My mom has had cancer, so our family has been touched by it as well.

We have always tried to welcome each and every new person, but with so many it has been near impossible! Glad you are joining us and be sure to share your work!

Megan

BellasQuilts
May 17th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Oh my, there are over 1,000 people signed up for the MQ! That's a whole lotta people.

ilive2craft2
May 17th, 2014, 12:40 PM
I for one think all of the newbies are great! We were all newbies to the forum at one point and found a welcoming, safe haven. Our town may be growing in population and there may be a few growing pains, but I think that the old adage of "the more, the merrier" is appropriate.

I just feel bad that I stopped welcoming new members individually on a regular basis when they introduce themselves. I pop into the new member introductions occasionally, but not as a regular thing anymore.

New York Sue
May 17th, 2014, 12:44 PM
JAYZEE! So that's what it is! The mystery quilt...
There have been so many new introductions of late, and I hadn't exactly connected the dots...
I do miss the swaps, and with so many members now, I could see how one could become quickly unmanageable. I really see nothing wrong with 'by invite only' swaps (by PMs), or capping the number of swap participants to keep in manageable.

That said, I welcome new ideas and input, the more the merrier! And, as always, the PICS! LOVE the pics!

Maybe if we learned to work off of our 'feed' of friends, we could retain that 'old forum' feel...

Hulamoon
May 17th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Well I felt really stupid because I was noticing all the new members and was wondering what was going on. I didn't know about the mystery quilt until last week. lol

I feel bad too about not welcoming everyone one by one. So welcome:)

Angelia
May 17th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Not only has the mystery quilt brought in lots of new members, but I think the news coverage also alerted people to the community of quilters here. Welcome!

sewlucky
May 17th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I've been involved in forums for years centering around various crafty topics and family life and while welcomes are important, what's equally or even more important is jumping in and sharing knowledge and experiences and resources here and around the Internet. That's what makes a great and friendly community and that's why I've enjoyed M* - there's enough people around to keep the information flowing and the sharing of it fun! I'm happy to see more newbies and hope they share!

Terri

buckeyequilter
May 17th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Welcome to all the new members :)

I have been so busy at work that I haven't had a lot of time to spend here. I have also been working on some quilts, which is what I'm getting ready to do in a few minutes. I check the DD every morning and at least try to read the morning thread.

BobW
May 17th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I think the forums are ok. It's called growing pains. We all have them personally and M* and the forum have them also. The more people participating in the forums, the more information and different experiences we can expose ourselves to.

Welcome to everyone, I hope everyone stays, but we will have some that join and then disappear but there is probably a reason we are exposed to them.

Slokarma
May 17th, 2014, 01:38 PM
and I was just getting a grip on names and some personalities and now i'm sort of lost AGAIN...:icon_crazy:

Slokarma
May 17th, 2014, 01:39 PM
I hope we get to see new quilts posted from all the new members. I like that.

auntiemern
May 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I'm not complaining about all the new members. Welcome one and all. I knew that our forum would grow, what with the news coverage and the WSJ piece. What I was trying to convey is what someone else said. You log on, check out the posts and don't even recognize the names. I suppose that comes with the ever growing expansion of our favorite quilt shop, and quilting diva. I mostly just hope we don't get lost in the shuffle. That the personal bonds and friendships don't get misplaced. I look forward to making new quilty friends on here as much as anyone, but don't want to lose what we all have. I think I need a nap. Later all.

pcbatiks
May 17th, 2014, 01:42 PM

Welcome Claire......quilting is great therapy in so many ways. Glad it is helping you through a difficult time. This is a great place or quilting inspiration and support. But it's also a wonderful place for encouragement, prayers, comfort and support of each other. You are among friends..........you will be in my thoughts and prayers. :)

There is always room for more friends. :)

Judy, USMC
May 17th, 2014, 01:55 PM
There's a very old saying: Would you rather be a big fish in a little pond ... or a little fish in a big pond?

I can understand how some very long time users are uncomfortable with the forum growing larger. But I also realize that this is not my forum; I do not pay to host this site; this is a service that M* provides to us. I have learned quite a bit here and have tried to contribute in a positive way.

I think M* "hosting" the Mystery Quilt is a plus in my book. And I'm sure that those who have recently joined have a variety of skill levels and experience ~ and reflects the same balance of talents as there was at the beginning of the year. I think it's great that our talent pool is getting larger. I spend part of my time in Chicago and the other part in a relatively small North Carolina city. When I'm in NC things are comfortable and cozy and sometimes a bit monotonous. But get to the big city and it's vibrant and bustling. So give me the big pond.

Never participated in a swap but can understand the concerns. But I don't see why they can't continue ... either by invitation or with a qualifier like a minimum number of posts. And I don't see new members breaking up any old friendships ... we can always pm each other!

K. McEuen
May 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
MSQC installed a revolving door and forgot to tell us!

The MQ group has taken on a life of its own and all the new people in there are lost with that many posting at once. I'm not seeing too many of them venture out to the forum unless they can't find their way to groups. The next six weeks should prove interesting.

WendyI
May 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Well I felt really stupid because I was noticing all the new members and was wondering what was going on. I didn't know about the mystery quilt until last week. lol

I feel bad too about not welcoming everyone one by one. So welcome:)

LOL! Don't feel stupid...I had no idea either!! LOL!

I understand where Marilyn is coming from but I can tell you from other forums that I have joined in the past, new people are not only good for business for M* but good for the forum as well. It keeps it active! There is nothing more awesome than coming into a forum that is busy and has lots of new posts daily. Sometimes it can be overwhelming if you're gone for a span of time to get caught up again, but it's so fun to get to know new people! I don't really participate in swaps, but I'm so happy every single day that I have found you all!!! I live so far away from my own family that this feels a bit like home away from home and I feel like I can share myself with you all and lean on you when I need to. You have NO idea how important that has been to me in recent months!! We're not all perfect but honestly, this is about the best forum I have ever been a part of and that's saying something! xoxoxo

Midge
May 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Wendy -- what you said! As a newbie here I am delighted to see the number of new topics opened daily that I am interested in. And everyone has been so nice and helpful here. I love the atmosphere. I want to believe that some of the mystery quilters will attach themselves to this forum as I have and some will move on. And from the style of this forum I have to have faith that the essential welcoming, sharing attitude will prevail. It will, won't it, if we want it to be so? The moderators here are so terrific - this is nothing like some past toxic online experiences I have had. M* company values will prevail here I think.

kensington
May 17th, 2014, 04:48 PM
JAYZEE! So that's what it is! The mystery quilt...
There have been so many new introductions of late, and I hadn't exactly connected the dots...
I do miss the swaps, and with so many members now, I could see how one could become quickly unmanageable. I really see nothing wrong with 'by invite only' swaps (by PMs), or capping the number of swap participants to keep in manageable.

That said, I welcome new ideas and input, the more the merrier! And, as always, the PICS! LOVE the pics!

Maybe if we learned to work off of our 'feed' of friends, we could retain that 'old forum' feel...

You'll have to put a limit on swaps... as in... "The first 35 or 50 to sign up" kinda thing. Some may be disappointed because they can't participate in one, but like it has been said, it would become too out of control and no one would know who was doing what.

Also, I think there would have to be guidelines for swapping, such as number of posts, time on the forums, or having participated in other swaps or be invited by someone who knows you.

I know some may not like that... but on every site but this one, those were the requirements to swap. I was on the WWQW back in the 90's and it was huge. They had those rules. It worked. Some swaps were for newer members and some were not. It should be completely up to the host.

kensington
May 17th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Wendy -- what you said! As a newbie here I am delighted to see the number of new topics opened daily that I am interested in. And everyone has been so nice and helpful here. I love the atmosphere. I want to believe that some of the mystery quilters will attach themselves to this forum as I have and some will move on. And from the style of this forum I have to have faith that the essential welcoming, sharing attitude will prevail. It will, won't it, if we want it to be so? The moderators here are so terrific - this is nothing like some past toxic online experiences I have had. M* company values will prevail here I think.

Oh, trust me girlfriend, we can get our danders up!

kensington
May 17th, 2014, 04:52 PM
The forum that is. There has been such an influx of new members, many of which have joined for the Mystery Quilt. That group has almost 1000 members in it. It has even been brought up within that particular group about creating some categories for this forum so the official clue posts can be in their own category. Those have always been kept within any group itself, and never part of the general forum. I would hate to see the entire dynamic of this wonderful place change because of the sudden growth that is primarily due to one group. For me it is quickly loosing it's close knit family appeal due to the sudden immense growth. Don't get me wrong, I welcome new members, but it is becoming increasingly less like the family that it has always been, and more like any other quilting forum. This is just my opinion, but it will be interesting to see where this entire 'marriage' is going to end up. FYI...I am all for a cure for cancer...remember I am a recent survivor. I just wouldn't want this one massive onslaught to change what we have all known an loved about our second home.

Yes, but we will always have the M* Retreat, and Hamilton! Right?

I saw you posted last night you were going to the lake or KC? Which did you decide? Are you in KC? Hit me up... I'll take you dancing!

Sandy Navas
May 17th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I think the forums are ok. It's called growing pains. We all have them personally and M* and the forum have them also. The more people participating in the forums, the more information and different experiences we can expose ourselves to.

Welcome to everyone, I hope everyone stays, but we will have some that join and then disappear but there is probably a reason we are exposed to them.

Bob, the growing pains I have been experiencing all seem to be centered around my middle . . .

Oh, guess that wasn't what you meant, but why are my jeans too tight????

WELCOME, EVERYONE!!

BobW
May 17th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Bob, the growing pains I have been experiencing all seem to be centered around my middle . . .

WELCOME, EVERYONE!!

Sandy if you are like me, I have a neighbor who keeps saying she lost 40 lbs. and I keep saying I found it. LOL. All I have to do is think of food and my jeans get tighter. So I feel for your pain.

Kgrammiecaz
May 17th, 2014, 06:31 PM
I have to say, I remember feeling a bit intimidated in the beginning because it seems there was already a "forum" formed. Since this was the first time on one, I was not sure of the rules of the road in terms of who is allowed or who is not. I found out quickly you all dont bite (not hard anyway) and that you enjoy those who come here for the right reasons.

Since I retired from my AT&T job, actually laid off, but you know how it goes.....all my friends moved away. So I have a new job but there is just one other lady and she does not socialize out of work.

So I am on my own. You all changed that. I have friends here that I hope are forever. See what you did now the tears are flowing. Love you guys. Really!!!

asta
May 17th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I have to say, I remember feeling a bit intimidated in the beginning because it seems there was already a "forum" formed. Since this was the first time on one, I was not sure of the rules of the road in terms of who is allowed or who is not. I found out quickly you all dont bite (not hard anyway) and that you enjoy those who come here for the right reasons.

Since I retired from my AT&T job, actually laid off, but you know how it goes.....all my friends moved away. So I have a new job but there is just one other lady and she does not socialize out of work.

So I am on my own. You all changed that. I have friends here that I hope are forever. See what you did now the tears are flowing. Love you guys. Really!!!

I agree, since I lost most of my vision and was forced into early retirement I felt alone-all my friends still work and many are busy with kids or grand kids, of which I have none to worry about yet-you people have become a friend I can turn to when I feel lost and alone. Thanks for this and hugs to all.

Mpyles
May 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Hmmmmm....my thoughts? Well...:/ I am kinda bummed that when I log in and go to recent activity all the post relate to the mystery quilt....don't get me wrong...it's a great project...but it sure does consume a whole page of "what's new?"

WendyI
May 17th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Hmmmmm....my thoughts? Well...:/ I am kinda bummed that when I log in and go to recent activity all the post relate to the mystery quilt....don't get me wrong...it's a great project...but it sure does consume a whole page of "what's new?"

I never view the forum that way. I go immediately to Chit Chat first. Then General, then Questions, then if I still have time, Show and Tell! Those are the only places I routinely hang out....so it's quicker for me to get through what I want to. If I used the first page I'd be lost! Funny how we all do things our own way! LOL!

kensington
May 17th, 2014, 09:00 PM
There's a very old saying: Would you rather be a big fish in a little pond ... or a little fish in a big pond?

I can understand how some very long time users are uncomfortable with the forum growing larger. But I also realize that this is not my forum; I do not pay to host this site; this is a service that M* provides to us. I have learned quite a bit here and have tried to contribute in a positive way.

I think M* "hosting" the Mystery Quilt is a plus in my book. And I'm sure that those who have recently joined have a variety of skill levels and experience ~ and reflects the same balance of talents as there was at the beginning of the year. I think it's great that our talent pool is getting larger. I spend part of my time in Chicago and the other part in a relatively small North Carolina city. When I'm in NC things are comfortable and cozy and sometimes a bit monotonous. But get to the big city and it's vibrant and bustling. So give me the big pond.

Never participated in a swap but can understand the concerns. But I don't see why they can't continue ... either by invitation or with a qualifier like a minimum number of posts. And I don't see new members breaking up any old friendships ... we can always pm each other!

I don't think it has anything to do with that. I think it has to do with knowing people, and being comfortable with them, and enjoying them on a personal basis. Big fish? No one here is more important than anyone else, but we like the intimate, back porch kind of relationship it's been. Or is that back fence?

Anyway, there is something to be said for coming on... hitting new posts and being familiar with those names you see popping up. That is all. I've been on small forums, and I've been on forums much bigger than this... Military wives forums are some of the biggest. I live in the country and this has been like a Quilt Guild for me. But, even the biggest quilting guild in the world isn't this big. And I too miss seeing the "old familiar" names in threads and posts, they get lost in the traffic.

We all have to adjust. it's just a matter of what that means to each of us.

vchale
May 17th, 2014, 10:02 PM
I have to admit I was a little frustrated last night even though I'm not a long timer on here. Today, my thinking is that the last few days have been an anomaly because of the start of the mystery quilt. I think in the long run it will all be great but I agree with the others that there has been no way to keep up with welcoming all the new members. It seems every time there has been a newscast, etc there is a big influx of new members. The mystery quilt has magnified that. With over 1000 members I hope the contributions have been good. I'm sure Heather is really feeling overwhelmed. I think some of us have been helpful in that regard. I look forward to getting to know some of the new people and hope they understand that we are not being unfriendly just overwhelmed. Okay, back to laundry for me!

Kgrammiecaz
May 17th, 2014, 11:54 PM
I never view the forum that way. I go immediately to Chit Chat first. Then General, then Questions, then if I still have time, Show and Tell! Those are the only places I routinely hang out....so it's quicker for me to get through what I want to. If I used the first page I'd be lost! Funny how we all do things our own way! LOL!

Wendy. Good point. Never thought of viewing that way

stationarymom
May 18th, 2014, 03:43 AM
don't forget jenny and her shop have been high lighted on two tv channels for national stories.that should bring in more people.

dwil23
May 18th, 2014, 07:03 AM
I also gave up welcoming all new members. I think that the majority of them will fade away when the mystery quilt is done. But, for those who do stay, they are more than welcome to become "part of the family". It is always striking to me to look at the member list and see hundreds, maybe thousands of members that have only posted once or twice - some several years have gone by since they were active. So, I guess what I am saying is that I don't think this is going to change who/what we have here that drastically in the long run. :)

Lissau
May 18th, 2014, 08:43 AM
l'm still around l tend to just lurk as l'm not sewing maybe trying to do some more hexies and l'm in lock down..so everyday runs into the next ..nothing really changes ..but l like the family feel

MayinJerset
May 18th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Since I always begin my morning with a visit to Chit Chat and I hardly ever remember to Welcome Newcomers (bad me) I didn't notice the influx of new members who are making the mystery. No problem for me as I like to see new faces as well as the old regulars - keeps the conversation lively. If the newbies stay and post all of the time it will increase the forum size but we old timers can say "We Knew Jenny and M* Back When." I have noticed some new names on posts but most of them are from members who joined in the past 1 or 2 years - glad to see they are comfortable posting more and we can get to know them also. I feel there is always room for more friends.

Slokarma
May 18th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Be interesting to see a MAP pointing out all of our locations. Is there a way to make a map with pins it? I'm just curious how many are where and how many countries are represented. I think the statistics would be interesting!

Granny Judy
May 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I can't help but think of the song, "It's a small world".... and it keeps shrinking when you are on a forum like M*. Welcome to all the new peeps and hugs to all the regulars. I'm curious as to how this new influx will affect us all.

GrammaBabs
May 18th, 2014, 12:35 PM
No chance of that GF!!! LOl
Look forward to meeting you!
I too have mixed feelings, but stick to what I know, share where I can and have been getting MORE sewing done...LOL
Just like I am trying to do in my diet....MODERATION GF!!!!! Hugs, to you.... Barbara
I'm not complaining about all the new members. Welcome one and all. I knew that our forum would grow, what with the news coverage and the WSJ piece. What I was trying to convey is what someone else said. You log on, check out the posts and don't even recognize the names. I suppose that comes with the ever growing expansion of our favorite quilt shop, and quilting diva. I mostly just hope we don't get lost in the shuffle. That the personal bonds and friendships don't get misplaced. I look forward to making new quilty friends on here as much as anyone, but don't want to lose what we all have. I think I need a nap. Later all.

mamaquilt
May 18th, 2014, 01:41 PM

That is the way I do it too. Because otherwise I'll never get anything done, neither at the forum nor at home.

mamaquilt
May 18th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Be interesting to see a MAP pointing out all of our locations. Is there a way to make a map with pins it? I'm just curious how many are where and how many countries are represented. I think the statistics would be interesting!

That would really be interesting. I would like that too

kensington
May 18th, 2014, 03:32 PM

You are brilliant! But... Who? (Karen)... Who could do this for us? (Karen)... We need someone who is good with charts (Karen) and has access to posting them too (Karen). Someone who is a master of information, (Karen) and has a program for this map thing (Karen). We need someone we would all trust with this. (Karen)

Yes, Yes, We do need someone who can do this better than anyone. But, Who?

Hulamoon
May 18th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Does anyone remember when I posted this last year? The Giving Bunny Project « StitchPunk (http://www.urbanthreads.com/blog/?p=7487)

If you click on the pink Google map see what happens!

Sandy Navas
May 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I think we all need some giving bunnies . . .

K. McEuen
May 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM
You are brilliant! But... Who? (Karen)... Who could do this for us? (Karen)... We need someone who is good with charts (Karen) and has access to posting them too (Karen). Someone who is a master of information, (Karen) and has a program for this map thing (Karen). We need someone we would all trust with this. (Karen)

Yes, Yes, We do need someone who can do this better than anyone. But, Who?

:icon_bah::icon_bah::icon_bah:

beyond my coding capabilities

EnumclawGramma
May 18th, 2014, 04:26 PM
I have not read this entire thread but if I get the general idea, you want to know where everyone is from? There may be a "back door" app that only Al has access to that gives him this info. Our Database at my Real Estate office tracked visitors to our company website this way....and I could check it daily. Interesting!

Familyjournals
May 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM
I'm new and I appreciate you welcoming me in Jean. I am a moderator for a genealogy site and I know how hard it is to keep up. This looks great and I'm a captive audience right now. I'm learning a lot and enjoying this completely. Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!

Sheena
May 18th, 2014, 04:44 PM

I started this thread a while ago. I'll try and bump it up.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/27476-how-close-far-m%2A-you.html

Slokarma
May 18th, 2014, 11:36 PM
I just saw this map on a blog I was reading and it asked if you like it and did you want it. Granted, I don't know nothing about nothing when it comes to websites and forums, but this looked interesting and I thought I would pass it on. It could be that the powers that be already have considered something like this because of marketing. But anyways…..feedjit is the name and add the .com. I did not want to draw unwanted attention to this site as in MSQC site,

Lissau
May 19th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Sent fed -ex from OZ............ ;p

WELCOME, EVERYONE!!

Michelle M
May 19th, 2014, 01:06 PM
I am fairly new here as well, and did not join for the mystery quilt but because I was web surfing one night and stumbled upon this forum. I started reading the posts and loved the feeling I got. It was like a family, a very wise, funny, caring family. A family that I wanted to be part of. Because I was not here 'before' I didn't realize that the forum had grown like it has, this knowledge has answered a lot of questions for me. I am going to stick around and hopefully become a part of this wise, funny, caring family one day. I know it won't happen overnight, nor should it. So until then, I will be patient!

WendyI
May 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM

I have seen this on another forum that I belonged to years ago....think it was a rat forum. Al would have to set it up if we actually wanted it to have it's own board....and it would of course be voluntary. Each member just goes in an places a pin according to their location and you can be as general or as specific as you like. I think it would be a really good marketing too for M* to have something like that. Maybe someone could PM Al?

vchale
May 19th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Welcome Shea Michelle,
I'm not a newbie, I guess, but hope you find lots of interesting ideas and people on here. I have. This was my first and only forum to join but I think it's great!

Poppytree
May 20th, 2014, 06:54 AM
I've just proved the point - I posted another thread saying 'I'm getting lost' having quickly browsed through 9 pages of new entries........ 20 minutes later I discovered you had all beaten me to it and I had missed this discussion!

sewluvit
May 20th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Hi Debbie, genealogy is my other love besides quilting. My husband has taken me on many road trips to visit repositories and cemeteries over the last 15 years or so. We also visited the big library in Salt Lake City in about 1998. Somehow I think quilting, genealogy and history in general all fit together! I have no worries for this forum, no matter how big the population gets!

Familyjournals
May 20th, 2014, 02:55 PM
Hi Debbie, genealogy is my other love besides quilting. My husband has taken me on many road trips to visit repositories and cemeteries over the last 15 years or so. We also visited the big library in Salt Lake City in about 1998. Somehow I think quilting, genealogy and history in general all fit together! I have no worries for this forum, no matter how big the population gets!

I agree with you. Quilting goes with families and stories can be told about your ancestors by looking at their quilts.
The library in salt lake is the largest family history repository in the world, I teach research classes and helped to start a wiki for familysearch.org. If you need assistance with your research, that is a good place to go for instruction. Wiki.familysearch.org is an extension of that library that you can access right in your own home.
I moderate some pages on the wiki site and help with its adminstration. I have been with it since the beginning and have watched it grow. Change is inevitable and if a site is popular it will naturally grow as with these forums. Many people will start up and then drop off as life changes directions. It's all good. I'm with you, no worries.

snippet
May 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Add me to the list of quilters/genealogy buffs! I inherited my family tree data from my dad and his mom, but they didn't document anything, so I'm having to redo their work. I love it.

While I was recovering from a surgery, I volunteered at FamilySearch to index and love it. It's so fun to read the old draft cards and census forms. They can be quite a mystery too.

I think the FamilySearch wiki is the best resource around!

I agree with you. Quilting goes with families and stories can be told about your ancestors by looking at their quilts.
The library in salt lake is the largest family history repository in the world, I teach research classes and helped to start a wiki for familysearch.org. If you need assistance with your research, that is a good place to go for instruction. Wiki.familysearch.org is an extension of that library that you can access right in your own home.
I moderate some pages on the wiki site and help with its adminstration. I have been with it since the beginning and have watched it grow. Change is inevitable and if a site is popular it will naturally grow as with these forums. Many people will start up and then drop off as life changes directions. It's all good. I'm with you, no worries.

Familyjournals
May 21st, 2014, 02:35 AM
Add me to the list of quilters/genealogy buffs! I inherited my family tree data from my dad and his mom, but they didn't document anything, so I'm having to redo their work. I love it.

While I was recovering from a surgery, I volunteered at FamilySearch to index and love it. It's so fun to read the old draft cards and census forms. They can be quite a mystery too.

I think the FamilySearch wiki is the best resource around!
There are new things out now that can help you to clean up your tree. I'm glad you like the wiki because it is like my baby that is growing up now. Let me know if I can ever be of help. Just personal message me and I'll be glad to direct you. It's kind of like a mystery quilt figuring out our histories. We see the clues but not the full picture as we connect generations.

Poppytree
May 25th, 2014, 05:32 AM
I log on roughly the same frequency as before but I now have to look through at least 7 pages to catch up with old friends (and new) instead of the 3-4 a few months ago. - I'm losing the plot!