PDA

View Full Version : My dog ate my ........

easyquilts
May 15th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Hearing aid... I've bern without it for two weeks... Just ordered a new one today, and it is expected to arrive on, or before, May 29th.

This is the second time this has happened.... It isn't uncommon at all for a dog to snatch and destroy a hearing aid.

Good thing I live alone.... I've has to turn the volume on the TV UP. It's been a challenge to adjust to not hearing as well as I normally do..... I'm not driving any farther than to Kroger's, or Frisch's, either... Too risky... My daughter takes me to appointments that are farther away. I hate being dependent on anyone like that, but it can't be helped..

The moral of my sad tale is this.... If you have a hearing aid....no matter what kind....be sure to put it in a safe place...
away from any pets.... I had a lapse, and look what happened... Sigh..

stationarymom
May 15th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry your dog thought that it would make a nice snack. I have an idea of what it is like to have to depend on others,I have seizures and have never been able to drive.It is really a pain in the a** but you do what you have to.I hope your hearing aide comes in soon so your life can go back to normal.

Cat77
May 15th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Ha! Didn't expect that when I clicked on the thread title! Made me giggle for a moment. What a stupid dog!

Hope the new hearing aid arrives soon! I have glasses (very short-sighted), so I kind of know where you're coming from!

rebeccas-sewing
May 15th, 2014, 04:49 AM
I hate having one of those "I could kick myself" events. I'm glad to hear you are being safe and not driving. My aunt was totally deaf and driving for years. She had a number of accidents before they finally took her license away from her. I was surprised they gave her a license to begin with. Hearing is so important when behind the wheel. Hopefully you won't have this problem again. Hopefully, there's no intestinal damage to your dog. That would be really sad.

Judy, USMC
May 15th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Oh yes! They do love little snacks like that; no chewing needed; just grab it and swallow.

After the third time my uncle lost his to the dog his solution was to have 2 denture containers in the bathroom. One for his "removable teeth" and the other for his hearing aid which he took out only at night.

Hope you can find a clever solution.

Bubby
May 15th, 2014, 07:16 AM
That was a very expensive little snack! My Mom's dog ate her dentures. Dogs love eating hearing aids and dentures for some reason. I hope you get your replacement soon.

Carol336
May 15th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Oh my, I did get a little chuckle out of your post Sandy....never heard of a dog eating a hearing aid before!!! And then I breathed a sigh of relief that I don't have a dog. I've been wearing 2 hearing aids for several years now, and I can totally understand the difficulties you run into when you are without them. If I don't follow a certain routine every morning, I'll come downstairs without putting mine in. Now if I'm home alone, I probably won't even realize it until DH comes home or someone else shows up. And after a short conversation where my replies are "What?" "HUH?" "Say that again please" I realize my hearing aids are upstairs. I hate losing my hearing, but I have a dear friend who is legally blind so I thank my lucky stars every day it's just my hearing going up.

So - have there been many updates in technology since you got your last device. And I'm wondering if insurance would cover the "loss"

WendyI
May 15th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Bad doggy!! Dogs are brutal for eating things they should not. I just heard of a family members dog that died this week from eating a tennis ball. They're not so bright sometimes. Hope you can get yours back soon and keep it away from the dog.

Genny
May 15th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Sandy, Hope you get your hearing aid soon. As much as we love our pets...they can sure be a pain!

MRoy
May 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
I'm sure you'll be glad to have your new hearing aid. As for the dog, I hope "this too shall pass" and he'll be okay too.

ravelim
May 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Sorry that happened. My hearing aid lady told me to be careful about losing it to a dog!. Hope your dog is ok.

Carol336
May 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Funny but true, Myrna - but could she bring herself to wear it - LOL

[QUOTE "this too shall pass" [/QUOTE]

Pandabear
May 15th, 2014, 12:39 PM
I'm sorry the dog ate your hearing aid. If you'd like some commiseration, the dog ate my son's retainer once.

Dogs are weird.

SallyO'Sews
May 15th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I'm not a dog owner, so I have a question. Does your hearing aid have a battery, and if so, could this be dangerous for your naughty little fur-baby?

BobW
May 15th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Jean,

I feel your pain. My old hearing aid died. It was 14 years old (and the old analog style). I had it rebuilt a couple of times. I priced a new one, and it was almost $3,000. I didn't want to shell out the money and went without it for a while. It is hard to get used to not having it. Then I remembered that my brother had kept the hearing aids my dad had when he died (he had only had them about 30 days). I called him and he said he wasn't going to use them and I asked him if I could have them.

I only need one in my left ear. I called my hearing aid dealer and asked if they could be fitted to work for me. She told me to bring them in. She looked them over and said yes. So she made a new ear mold and in a week I had two hearing aids (I now have a spare). The total charge for the new ear mold, programming the aids and I've had two follow up appointments to adjust the digital settings was only $225.00. We paid over $5,000.00 for them for my dad. What a relief.

K. McEuen
May 15th, 2014, 11:59 PM
My theory on dogs has always been "It's a dog, it'll eat anything."