PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone own a Bull Terrier?

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I don't know much about them.

Bull Terrier Puppies (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/kau/pet/4469342961.html)

K. McEuen
May 14th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Stubborn, stubborn, stubborn dogs. They get a lot bigger than most people realize and are strong. Oh, did I say stubborn?

Midge
May 14th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Dog lover here. Be very very sure YOU have the correct temperment to train these dogs or they become a nightmare.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I had a nightmare Jack Russell so I think I will pass. I want something I can walk and won't run after other dogs. Thanks for the heads up!

Slokarma
May 14th, 2014, 02:19 PM
LOL....There is a book called "When Pigs Fly......Bull Terriers (Complete Pet Owner's Manual)" by Carolyn Alexander.
It's a great book for you to look at AND it's really a great dog training book for anyone. But the picture on the front is priceless!!!!!

I don't have the patience or temperament for a dog that determined! But they sure look like they would be tons of fun in the right hands!
I know they are not the dog for the casual dog owner.

Ahamblin
May 14th, 2014, 02:20 PM
I don't know much about that particular breed. If you go to the parent club website (you can find this through AKC.org) there should be a wealth of information including personalities, energy level, training requirements, health issues, etc.

A word of caution - reputable breeders rarely advertise in Craig's List, the newspaper, etc. AKC registration only means that the puppies are from purebred dogs. It does not state that the puppies are healthy or come from good stock. If you are considering purchasing this or any breed please do your homework and make sure it is a breed that will fit your lifestyle and then research and only buy from a reputable breeder. Again, AKC has a lot of information on finding good, reputable breeders. All puppies are cute and hard to resist. I do speak from experience. I have been involved with dogs for my whole life. My son bought a "cute" boxer puppy from a backyard breeder (without my knowledge). While we loved Dempsey he ended up costing a small fortune (thousands of dollars) in vet bills due to health issues that a reputable breeder would not have produced.

There are also lots of dogs and puppies available through breed specific rescues and your local shelter.

Just my opinion. Off my soapbox now.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 02:23 PM
They do look fun. Karen got me at strong. I take care of my dd's dog once in awhile, he is sweet but dragged me to the ground because he wanted to play with my neighbors dog. lol

Bubby
May 14th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I echo was Karen said. Bull Terriers are the epitome of STUBBORN. They are solid muscle and therefore are abnormally strong for their size. You have to be the Alpha Dog to raise a BT. Lorie, you need something sweet and compliant. Stubbornness is a terrier trait - hence the issues I have with Dottie. Dottie is somewhat subdued today but for the past few days it's been her strong will pitted against mine. It hasn't been fun. She is trying to take over our whole house. Now she wants to sleep with us and she wails and barks all night every night when she has to sleep in her crate - the same crate she has loved all her life. Last night she barked from 9 pm to 4 am without stopping for air. The vet said this will go on for perhaps a week or so and then she will realize she's not going to get her way. Every time we take her out of her crate at night she wins another battle.

Lorie, a crazy Jack Russell is nothing compared to a bull terrier. Please don't go there.

bubba
May 14th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I will tell you what else is stubborn are weiner dogs!! Last night I didn't let him back in quick enough and he barked at me when I got to the door! His saving grace is he is cute. On the other hand, our schnoodle is the sweetest dog ever and I would have ten of him if I could! The only goal that dog has in life is to please us....he is probably the best dog we have ever owned.

If you want a dog who walks, a cairn is a good fit. From the time ours was a puppy, he would walk three or more miles and not want to stop. They love to walk! Weight about 15 pounds, don't shed because they have a double coat. Check out Colonel Potters website and see if they have any for rescue on your island. That is a good way to get one.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Barb I don't know if you saw my post one time that my Jack russel tried to attack a horse. Funny at first until I had to get a stick. The horse was not thinking funny after a few minutes. Yeah no more nightmare dogs for me. lol

As far as Craigslist goes, this is a very, very small island and breeders are hard to find. The pet shop owner (we only have one pet shop) breeds Corgis. I decided I don't want one. My neighbors Corgi drops by once in awhile to eat the cat food. lol

I'm all for going to the humane society to get a puppy, but the last time I was there they didn't have any. So I look on craigslist once in awhile. We found our Golden retriever in the newspaper. I don't see the difference.

Slokarma
May 14th, 2014, 03:13 PM
AND, it's one of those breeds that people ASSUME, and u know what that means, they ASSUME they are pit bulls.

while we are talking about dogs, My 6 mo old min schnauzer swallowed a field mouse.....I swear i saw the tail go down .....omg
Should i expect stomach upset or anything in that direction? Omg....I know, it's not the first time i've seen a dog do that, BUT it's my puppy and he kisses me.....eewwww

Sheena
May 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Get a Bedlington Terrier.

I got mine through internet 'dating'. I found a website where you put in your lifestyle (how long you can spend walking etc) and what you want from a dog (guard dog, walking companion etc0 and they pair you up.

I'd never heard of or seen a Bedlington Terrier but I'm not a dog person. I wanted a walking companion, not too big, not barky, good with other animals (bunnies, hens, cats, children), doesn't shed..... etc.

I knew I wanted a bitch not a dog. There was only one puppy for sale in the whole of UK so I bought her. She ahd been sold once before to a couple with an autistic son and they thought a dog might help hom but he just screamed for a week. She was given back to the breeder for a refund and the next week I got her. She's perfect. Just what I wanted. So do your research and buy the perfect pooch.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
AND, it's one of those breeds that people ASSUME, and u know what that means, they ASSUME they are pit bulls.

while we are talking about dogs, My 6 mo old min schnauzer swallowed a field mouse.....I swear i saw the tail go down .....omg
Should i expect stomach upset or anything in that direction? Omg....I know, it's not the first time i've seen a dog do that, BUT it's my puppy and he kisses me.....eewwww

Lol eewwww too!

I found a woman that breeds Labordoodles. It was an old article online. It said she donated a bunch of her dogs for service. That's my speed. lol I'm going to check with my Vet and ask around.

Doloris
May 14th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Lori look at those cute dogs. LOL All are good except the one in front on the left. She is the guard dog and will try to attack other animals and sometimes people. Gotta watch her. Other 2 are pretty laid back

Vonnie
May 14th, 2014, 04:20 PM
LOL! I vote for the animal shelter. If the animal has been there for a while they will know their temperament. We had a wonderful border collie/black lab mix that had a great personality. We got him from a rescue shelter. He could catch mice but not eat them, just leave them for us. We never saw him actually catch the mice. He weighed 60 pounds and did not tear up the house catching them.

bubba
May 14th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Goodness!! When we took the boy to the tow yard the other day, the owner has a goldenoodle! What an adorable dog! He looked like my Yoda on steroids! Schnauzer and poodles make a great mix, because they also don't shed and boy are they smart!

Auntpiggylpn
May 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM
I want something I can walk and won't run after other dogs. Thanks for the heads up!

Be prepared no matter what breed you get to do training with them. That's how you get a well behaved dog!

New York Sue
May 14th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I looked up the breed in my dog breed encyclopedia, of curiosity...
At a Glance (1-5, weak to strong trait)

Energy Level - 4
Exercise requirements - 3
Playfulness - 5
Affection level - 3
Friendliness towards dogs -1
( " ) other pets - 3
( " ) strangers
Ease of training - 1
Watchdog ability - 5
Protection ability -4
Grooming requirements -1
Cold and heat tolerance - 3

"It is an imaginative breed that sees things its own way and is stubborn to the end".....
I don't know about you guys, but that's 'enough said' for me! ;)

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Dolores, so cute. Been there though. lol

Sue I think I have a book like that and leant it out. Friendliness and ease of training don't look so promising. lol My Russel was impossible to train and I have had a lot of dog's in my life that didn't act like him.

Well, I called about five vets and no one has breeders list's. One will fall into my lap on of these days.

New York Sue
May 14th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Lorie. If you tell me what you're interested in trait wise, I'd be happy to do some research.
It is SO important to match traits with lifestyles, for a successful pair-up. If someone somewhat sedentary selects a dog with high energy requirements, it's NOT going to end well.

bubba
May 14th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Lorie. If you tell me what you're interested in trait wise, I'd be happy to do some research.
It is SO important to match traits with lifestyles, for a successful pair-up. If someone somewhat sedentary selects a dog with high energy requirements, it's NOT going to end well.

I think she needs one that is good w/color and design, knows how to sew and will clean up the sewing room!

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I can handle a golden retriever or lab. I'm looking for a beach dog that likes the water. They are just hard to find. When I went to help my dd pick her dog out at the shelter I keep telling her let's take him to the beach. He is a pitbull pointer. She was afraid of losing him and now is afraid of the water (she finally tried).

He is such a goof ball!

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I think she needs one that is good w/color and design, knows how to sew and will clean up the sewing room!

Lol That would be nice. And if I could teach one of my cat's to stay off the counters and the other from jumping on all the fabric. And I want another animal? lol

tamsterg7
May 14th, 2014, 11:52 PM
I have an 9 month old Soft Coated Wheaten terrier and he is a litle s*#t! The one I had before him was the sweetest, most snuggly lovable guy. Apparently he was the exception and Oshie is a typical terrier. He is very smart, but it is a battle of wills....and some days he wears me down and wins.

New York Sue
May 15th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Lorie, a great beach dog would also be a Portuguese Water Dog. But they are an active, (working group) dog who would swim and retrieve till the cows came home! They score a 4 on energy level, exercise requirement, playfulness, friendliness toward other pets, watchdog ability and affection level. A score of three on friendliness toward other dogs, friendliness toward strangers, ease of training, protection ability, cold and heat tolerance. And last, but least, a FIVE on grooming requirements. :(

I'm thinking it might be a difficult breed to get a hold of on the island of Hawaii, also.
But it was a fun looking it up!
Good luck! Can never go wrong with a Golden or Lab...

Hulamoon
May 17th, 2014, 04:19 AM
Lorie, a great beach dog would also be a Portuguese Water Dog. But they are an active, (working group) dog who would swim and retrieve till the cows came home! They score a 4 on energy level, exercise requirement, playfulness, friendliness toward other pets, watchdog ability and affection level. A score of three on friendliness toward other dogs, friendliness toward strangers, ease of training, protection ability, cold and heat tolerance. And last, but least, a FIVE on grooming requirements. :(

I'm thinking it might be a difficult breed to get a hold of on the island of Hawaii, also.
But it was a fun looking it up!
Good luck! Can never go wrong with a Golden or Lab...

That would be cool dog, but your right, that would be a hard one to find here.I don't think I have ever seen one here before. A lot of dogs are brought in from the mainland from people moving here, Some people go over to Ohau to pick them up. Most dogs here are hounds because of hunting.

I saw the cutest dog in a guys truck today. I should of asked him where he got it!

shermur
May 17th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Lorie...do me a favor. I looked at the choices at the Kauai Shelter...please go and look to adopt and save a life. Bull Terriers or any bully breed dog has similar/individual traits. Most are high strung, they need exercise, they love to play and most important, they just want to be loved.
When you adopt a bully breed from a shelter or rescue group (fostering), there has been a basic socialization started and even some basic obedience training. Before I adopted my Dottie (American Staffordshire Terrier mix), she was on a trial basis for a month in our home through a bully rescue group. Dottie immediately learned that I was in the female alpha in this house and her training is almost daily. Dottie has her ornery streaks, but her unconditional love is apparent.
Do your research and you will be able to find the right bully breed dog for you. Yes, most people who do not know any better thinks my precious Dottie is a pit bull (which is not a breed by the way). The term pit bull is a slang that society addresses most bully breed dogs and those individuals have a misperception of what EACH bully dog is and what they are about.
I do not regret saving Dottie's life and I wouldn't give her up for the world...just know this? A bully breed dog is loyal, protective of their environment and loving. Training and good socialization is key.....
Isn't she majestic and pretty? (I think so)!!!!!

Hulamoon
May 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM
I will do my best to do that Sherri. I look at the Kauai site all the time. But when you get there it's not the same situation. I live far away from it and I can't go every day.

Thanks for the web site you sent me that was really interesting!