PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else interested in sewing rooms?

debinmalaga
December 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I just got my very own room to sew in and wanted to see what other people had come up with for storage ideas, decor, and all that stuff. Found a neat listing at http://www.younge.com/sewing%20rooms.htm

ginampls
December 9th, 2009, 12:02 AM
wow some spaces are just right. great post.. i'll be back. Gina from Mpls.

jrchapman
December 9th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I am so jealous!!! Some of those rooms literally made me drool.

FunkiQuilter
December 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Yea, you caught my attention. I have been VERY interested in sewing rooms. Mine is getting a redo in the spring when my husband has more time. I was paying attention to the post about stash storage, but the link you listed has way more pictures then the post on here. Thank you for posting it!

I have been leaning more toward cubes rather then shelves this time. I will still have some shelves, but I definitely want cubes. :oops: Think of the game dominoes with me and shelves. :oops: Now, what size of cubes to pick? Hmmmm..... I don't know. Shelves were adjustable in size and cubes won't be so I have no clue. Any recommendations for size?

Vicki L
December 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Right now my sewing space is the kitchen table. We are playing with our budget to figure out ways to save for a rent to own or a for sale by owner/owner holds the mortgage.

I would like to have one wall devoted to fabric stashes, a nice area for cutting pieces and another for laying out my blocks to keep it straight until its time to put it all together. A place on a wall to organize and hang my rulers and such to keep them handy. And I guess I shouldn't leave out the ironing board :)

Vicki L

debinmalaga
December 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
Well, it's 14 months since I posted this. Anyone out there have a good or bad year with your sewing space?

I had a good year in that I had a room to myself, so projects could be left out. I had a "bad" year in that we couldn't do anything to improve the space - but on the other hand I know now just where I want everything, after a year spent experimenting.

I'd welcome any suggestions at all, and I'll post before and after pics for anyone else interested in sewing spaces. The link I posted back in October of 2009 still works, so if you haven't visted it, do! Lots of eye candy and ideas. I'm in love with a purple and white room in one of the listings, but I don't think I dare do it...

I may well have another year to plan my room :-) but it's fun to dream.

Deb

patticakes
December 21st, 2010, 02:14 AM
My sewing space is about 7 ft by 3 ft but I sure accomplish alot in it. Dreaming of the day I could have a whole room!

craftyladysam
December 21st, 2010, 03:12 AM
Thanks Deb for the links what fun to look and wish. I'm having trouble right now with to much stash well not really just no where to keep it. I need all the help I can get. My room is so full I don't want to go in. But gotta sew. Thanks for the links maybe I'll find a solution but lets wait till after Christmas when I don't have so much to do.

Sandy Navas
December 24th, 2010, 12:26 AM
I am getting ready to expand my sewing room . . . actually I'm moving it down the hall into our relatively unused family room. I have really enjoyed looking at the links posted here.

My big question to everyone is: What do you wish you had in your sewing room? I am in a position where I can pretty much do what I want with this new space and it is quite large. I just don't want to leave out something that would make the area ideal.

What would you want in a sewing room?

Dragonfly
December 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Easy...a VERY LARGE design wall, something to fit a king size plus some.

Patrice
December 24th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I must wipe the drool off my face now. Love looking at sewing rooms. Still need to get some flannel and put up a design wall.

quiltingtrish
December 24th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Only clicked on a few of the rooms - makes me dream, that's for sure.
My sewing area hasn't changed - I sew at the dining room table and store my things in my bedroom and basement. Until we would redo the basement with getting rid of the garage door and putting heat down there or one of the kids move out (Odie's room is in the basement but too small to convert anyway) nothing much will change here. I'm just glad I have a table to sew on!

I'm sure putting it all in one place would help to make me want to sew more though - someday.

Hugs,

RFREE
December 26th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I just got my very own room to sew in and wanted to see what other people had come up with for storage ideas, decor, and all that stuff. Found a neat listing at http://www.younge.com/sewing%20rooms.htm
This is a great site. Me and my husband turned our attached garage into a sewing room for me about 3 years ago. I bought an antique dresser and used our old countertop as a cutting table. It is about 7 feet long and all it cost me was the $40.00 that I gave for the dresser. It is perfect. I hang my templates on the back side of the dresser and of course use the drawers for storage. We put a closet in this room as well. I have an antique desk I have had for years as my sewing table that I have sitting in front of the window. I purchased a professional magazine rack for $10.00 at a yard sale that holds all of my quilting books. The only problem I have is all my fabric is in huge totes ;7 of them; slid under my long arm. I despirately need shelving or littler totes to sort and fold all this fabric.
Thanks for posting this site.

debinmalaga
December 26th, 2010, 02:59 PM
RFREE, I'd love to see pictures of your sewing room! I took pictures of mine the other day and posted them in my album on this site, just so I now have "before" pictures... even if it's years away from having "after" ones! My room isn't pretty or big, and I have to share space with my treadmill, but it works for now and it's mine, all mine :-). But my darling Mike is full of plans for it, once time and money permit it'll be fun to take what I've learned and make my space what I want it to be.

Shirley
December 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Deb, Nice to have such a wonderful window to sew by. Who's your buddy under the table? :0 Shirley

debinmalaga
December 29th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Shirley! That is my darling Pug, Spike. He just turned 11 in September and is my best friend :-).

debinmalaga
March 23rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Any of our newer members interested in sewing rooms? You may have missed this thread.

Sandy Navas
March 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Deb, thanks for bringing this back to the front. I was re-reading some of the notes and thought perhaps I was due to show some final pictures (is anything final) of what I wound up doing in my move and what I would change . . .

debinmalaga
March 23rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Sandy, I was hoping you'd say something like that :-). You and Rhonda (RFREE) and Carol Ann immediately came to mind, plus lots more...

rebeccas-sewing
March 24th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Deb,

Thanks! I've been having so much fun looking at all those sewing rooms!!! My favorite is #6. I imagine that's quite an expensive set-up. I'm coveting my younger daughter's room. When she moves out on her own I'll be taking it over. The room I'm using is way too small and hers is bigger. I'm already designing it in my head! Thanks again. Lot's of fun.

Rebecca

StitchingTime
March 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Would love to see a thread where our sewing rooms were posted. My room is good size but I don't have it arranged very well. I need ideas and inspiration. Everyone has such good ideas and I am not very creative so I appreciate the help.

Sandy Navas
March 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I am going to be 'out of pocket' most of the day - but tomorrow 3/25 I'll take some pictures and post what I did in my sewing room - it is (luckily) larger than most spaces available . . . but then others are more creative in smaller areas . . . so it does weigh out. Stay tuned for an update.

Katherine Vickery Ringo
March 30th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I use a spare bedroom. Re-arranged it recently and attached some new scrap bins to one wall.

View from the door:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5504748818_9311b9be0b_z.jpg

View from the whiteboard:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5504157105_27ff82cde5_z.jpg

View from the dresser:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5504750754_6e332f5a22_z.jpg

My scrap bins:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5504158961_b6a9bf35d6_z.jpg

Sewbee
March 30th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Katie your sewing room is wonderful! Love the scrap bin idea! I am loving my "take over" of the downstairs family room area. I moved down there over the holidays and am still trying to get organized but it is so nice to have lots of room! :icon_tup:

Loonwatcher
March 30th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Katie, love your room. What a nice place to create.

Sandy Navas
March 30th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I have added pictures of my sewing room under my albums if anyone is interested.

mrswindy4
March 30th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Katherine....I adore your scrap containers!! That is the neatest scrap idea I have seen yet!!

Sandy...*wiping drool off my chin* ...Your sewing space is to die for!! I could disappear for days at a time if I had a space like that! (I'd have to set up a coffee pot and I'd be all set!) Love the bathroom being so close to your room! I truly am jealous!! lol

debinmalaga
March 30th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Katherine, your room is bright and pretty and has a lot of storage for a smaller space. I'm in the planning phase of a makeover and will also be getting a wood sewing surface and other built ins. I'm thinking now of mixing some white in too, really like the look of yours!

Sandy, I'm with mrswindy4 in the drooling department. Your sewing room is about the size of my house :-). I know you did a lot of organizing and it sure did pay off. You'd never get me out of my sewing room if it was like yours.

lhayes1976
March 30th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Here a few pics of my sewing/craft room. The desk with the serger is now a cutting table. It is very seldom this clean--right now it's a mess.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/lhayes1976/AllPictures2010920.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/lhayes1976/AllPictures2010931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/lhayes1976/AllPictures2010928.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/lhayes1976/AllPictures2010925.jpg

lhayes1976
March 30th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Sandy--OMG you have a sewing wing. All those vintage cuties are awesome.
Katherine--Big thumbs up on the scrap bin.
I love seeing where everyone creates their masterpieces.

mrswindy4
March 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I have to keep reminding myself that coveting is a sin. Lisa...your sewing space is great, too! I'm madly in love with your (serger turned cutting table) desk and chair!! I love the personalization touch you have with the pictures!!

Mimis-quilts
April 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
My dedicated sewing space is the loft upstairs. We don't have kids at home anymore so the space is totally mine! I have a dresser in the spare bedroom that is upstairs that I store my fabric in. It's not fancy, but the space serves my purpose and I don't have to put things away when I quit for the day! I love sitting in front of the window at my sewing machine because it allows me to see when someone pulls in the driveway...(not that my 2 german shepherds don't let me know when someone pulls in... ;) I have my quilting frame set up in the living room right now so I can watch tv and spend evenings with my husband and work on the quilt too.

debinmalaga
April 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Nice sewing room, Mimi! I like sewing in front of the window, too, except when a breeze tosses all my tiny little pinwheel pieces all over the floor!

Mimis-quilts
April 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
That is so true Deb...but when the wind isn't blowing the bright light is awesome to sew by!
No sewing today though...worked 2 14 hour shifts the past 2 days, off today, work tomorrow and then Friday Carl and I are heading to Michigan to go fishing for the weekend...sewing quilts is my passion...fishing is OUR passion!

SuzyQue
April 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Mimi----love that you have a passion and more so that you share a passion with your husband. That is a cool thing! Enjoy and hope you get a good catch! SuzyQue

Loonwatcher
April 13th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Mimi, love your sewing space.

Elaine
April 13th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I just moved my sewing room to a room that we didn't use much and is nice and bright. My DH was kind enough to varnish the hardwood floor in that room and it looks so nice. I just got my new sewing machine cabinet today and plan on getting a cutting table in the near future. I will post pictures when its done. Mimi, your sewing room is so nice.

Jess1377
April 14th, 2011, 02:55 AM
:D I love seeing sewing rooms. While I am in the process of moving we hopefully will get a place with 3 rooms and i might be ablel to dedicate at least 1/2 the 3rd room for sewing, if not the whole room!!:icon_hi:

StitchingTime
April 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM
All of your sewing rooms are wonderful. Great ideas in each of them. Thank you for sharing your creative space. They are all very nice.

sweetstkissez22
April 18th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I love looking at sewing rooms!!! I mentioned a sewing room to my husband recently..and I thought he was going to stroke out! LoL!! So I doubt I will ever have my OWN room, but I definitely need a room, even if its a multi-purpose one!! As of now I have a gorgeous sewing table! It helped me organize my stuff, but I dont have a place to stretch out!! And even though I have a dedicated table I still have to pull my table out set up my machine and put it back every time I sew!! hmmm day dreams of a new house keep me going!!! :)

Dragonfly
April 19th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I love looking at sewing rooms!!! I mentioned a sewing room to my husband recently..and I thought he was going to stroke out! LoL!! So I doubt I will ever have my OWN room, but I definitely need a room, even if its a multi-purpose one!!

So, here's the plan, get your quilting/sewing equipment and fabric out and keep it out...spread it out, make yourself comfortable. When DH gets sick of tripping over your bits he may reconsider giving you a room just to get some sanity back into the house. :lol::icon_rofl:

Loonwatcher
April 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Love that plan Lynn!!!

rebeccas-sewing
April 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM
How very sneaky of you! I like it! Do you think it will actually work? LOL

Dragonfly
April 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
How very sneaky of you! I like it! Do you think it will actually work? LOL
Well, not in my house because my DH is capable of making more 'mess' than I could possibly ever make. But hey it's worth a shot for sweetstkissez22.:icon_heh:

rebeccas-sewing
April 20th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
Well, not in my house because my DH is capable of making more 'mess' than I could possibly ever make. But hey it's worth a shot for sweetstkissez22.:icon_heh:

Darlene
April 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I use the bedroom where my daughter slept. The bed is still there and the chest and part of her doll collection but it is still my sewing room. She moved o4848ut almost 15 years ago.

Dragonfly
April 24th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Yes my sewing room is a commandeered children's bedroom. My problem was I wanted the room my son was in and it was my daughter who was leaving. I had to bully my son into moving rooms...he was not very happy about it at the time but things sorted themselves out.

debinmalaga
May 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Good for you, Lynn. Pretty space, Darlene!

We're making progress on my sewing room!! Our house is tiny and I had to wait for both of my sons to move out, but I finally got our middle bedroom. I've been in here about a year and a half, and we've been making improvements little by little. The room is small, around 10 x 12. So far Mike's built two corner shelves for my tv and electronic stuff, he's built me a super cutting table that's 39" high, so I don't have to bend when I'm cutting (I'm 5'7"). He's pulled out bookshelves that we built into the room, and is taking them apart and making new shelves in a new configuration. I have to share space with the treadmill, but hit on the idea of putting my ironing board on it; I just have to move my ironing board to use the treadmill... should that EVER happen again, LOL.

Still to come is removal of a gun cabinet in the closet, redoing the desk alcove (former closet) and paint and flooring. All that will probably take another year and a half :-) but I'm enjoying the improvements.

alberta quilter
July 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I have a fairly large space that is dedicated to being my card making/quilting/sewing space. I just need some customization to make it all work a bit better. My husband will do the work but finding the time to do it is hard. Maybe I'll post before and after pics when the day finally comes.