PDA

View Full Version : A Virus?

auntiemern
May 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM
I have been terribly ill the past few days. Sore throat, cough, hacking up enormous amounts of really awful stuff. (don't want to be to graphic). It started late Thurs. and by last night I really just did not feel well. After DH and DD would not get off me, I agreed to go to Urgent Care. They ask all the pertinent questions about your symptoms, take your vitals (slight temp, and elevated BP) and tell you to wait, the doctor will be in shortly. (there were no other cars in the parking lot) After waiting for about 30 minutes, in walks a nurse practitioner. She does her thing, looks in my ears, throat and nose. Listens to my lungs. Then tells me, it is a virus. What? So I ask, 'how do you know that? I am hacking up all of this gunk, that is clearly a sign of infection, and you are telling me this is a virus. How could you possibly know that. You didn't run any test, no blood draw, not swab of my throat, and you are telling me this is a virus?' So at this point, I am not only feeling like death warmed over, but now I am getting really annoyed. Then she tells me to get some OTC Zyrtec or Claritin. 'Why?' I ask. To help with the drainage. "Really? I don't now, nor have I ever had allergies, so why would I possibly need to take an antihistimine, or allergy medicine. By now I am very unhappy to say the least. I must have looked at her like her own mom after she had been caught doing something she should not have been doing, cuz she almost flinched. I just looked at DH and got up and walked out.
Really? A virus? Why in the Sam Hill do they tell people that? They have absolutely no way of knowing that without testing. They just assume that is what it is, but why? So I will continue to get worse until I can get into my own docs office tomorrow, where I have no doubt he will put me on an antibiotic for a URI, because if they don't I WILL end up with pneumonia. Ok done ranting about the ineffiency of Urgent Care.

Bubby
May 11th, 2014, 01:58 PM
That's how medicine is practiced in my area also. It's also why I got pneumonia this Spring...because I had a virus. Ironically it didn't clear up until I took antibiotics. I hear you, Marilyn!

janluna
May 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
So sorry you are sick Marilyn. You should have had a chest xray. All she had to do is look at what color your sputum was. If its green, you are infected and need an antibiotic. Try breathing some steam. The quicker you stop coughing gunk up, the better chance you have of not getting pneumonia. Feel better Honey. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

auntiemern
May 11th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Right. I know it's an infection, I told her that. Her reply was it is a viral infection. Really? I have been dealing with this for 15 yrs. I know I need an antibiotic.
So sorry you are sick Marilyn. You should have had a chest xray. All she had to do is look at what color your sputum was. If its green, you are infected and need an antibiotic. Try breathing some steam. The quicker you stop coughing gunk up, the better chance you have of not getting pneumonia. Feel better Honey. Love, Hugs, and Prayers, Jan L.

cindyinohio
May 11th, 2014, 02:47 PM
I have it too. Everyone in our church has had it so I assume that's where it came from. At one of the church board meetings one of the ladies was so sick about a month ago she could barely hold her head up....thus, we all got it. I have never understood why people go out when they are sick. One of the girls I worked with ( in a medical office) would always come to work sick.We would tell her to go home ( she had plenty of sick days,,which she lost when our office sold)..but NO...she would cough her head off and then we all were sick!!! So I think the doctors diagnose you by what going around. I am sooooooo sick of this coughing and nothing really helps. I've had it for about a week. I am so afraid I will give it to our baby grandson, but mom has to work and I have to babysit.
So, good luck to you (and me)...There is really nothing for viruses except time.

janluna
May 11th, 2014, 02:48 PM
She is nuts! Once it becomes an infection, it is no longer a virus. Wonder what med school she went to?

Slokarma
May 11th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I'm sorry you are feeling so bad. Sounds like me a couple of weeks ago. The whole episode lasted about a month, from the sore throat and nose blowing and feeling crappy and intense headaches that I think were sinus related which morphed into chest congestion and the like. Just miserable. I didn't know if it was a cold / sinus infection that went into allergies or the other way around or a virus...but it took a month and I finally ended up taking a Zyrtec generic and that's now a daily thing until everything quits blooming around here.

I was going to tell you about the last ER experience i had, over my wrist when I caught myself falling backwards....I will never go there again unless it's to stop the bleeding long enough to get to another ER.

Genny
May 11th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Marilyn I don't blame you for getting up and walking out, I would have done the same thing. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 11th, 2014, 03:35 PM
With your history, i think they should have been much more careful to really find out what's going on. I am so sorry to hear how sick you are, please get better soon!

Sheena
May 11th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear you're sick. We've got it over here (England) and I've been coughing for at least 6 weeks. My neighbours tell me I must go to the Dr but by the time I get an appointment I'll be better, or dead.

You can have a virus, an infection, hayfever and asthma all at the same time. If you're unlucky that is. So the nurse should have run some tests on you. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sandy Navas
May 11th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Oh, Marilyn. I'd send you hugs but I don't want to catch it. Sure hope your regular doctor gives you something!

Mpyles
May 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM
My DH always says...someone has to graduate last in the class.....sorry you feel poorly..get to your doc tomorrow!

BellasQuilts
May 11th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Marilyn, they have a license to "practice" medicine...and practice they do! How awful for you. Best home remedy for chest stuff I have found is onion juice and honey in warm water. Really clears the lungs out.

Marta
May 11th, 2014, 05:54 PM
So sorry you are sick. Your story makes me appreciate our GP. My daughter went to him on Friday--extreme tiredness, swollen glands. Diagnosis was Virus but the doctor spent an hour with her examining, then explaining how and why he came to his conclusion. Ordered blood testes to discover just what try of virus she might have. We have a lot of serious problems here in Rio but our doctors are fantastic.

alliek
May 11th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Marilyn: I had the same symptoms about two months ago. I called my doc, too busy doing "well visit physicals" to see sick people. So I went to the urgent care in my area, sat there for five hours, people coming in after me were taken, I asked the receptionist and she smiled and said Oh you will be called soon. I don't know why the criteria for being called in a timely and first come,first served was not followed, but I was there five hours, and left without seeing anyone. I just wanted to go home and lay down. My DH was upset and called our doctors office to voice his opinion of their inability to see sick people and the treatment at the urgent care. Well I got a phone call with an appointment at the doc's office the next day to see an "infectious diseases" MD. After getting the same exam you received from the nurse practitioner I was told I had a VIRUS. To take OTC cough syrup, buy a humidifier (which I did and it helped immensely) and wait it out. If I did not get better to come back. Well it took about two weeks to kick that thing and a few more to feel like myself again. My DH came down this Virus two weeks after me, he got an appointment right away and an antibiotic, he was well within the week. However, i don't know if antibiotics are always a good thing to take, because of the abilities of infections to build up a resistance . I hope you feel better and get the help you need, it's very frustrating dealing with the medical field lately. I know they have their frustrations also. God Bless - Be Well

Vonnie
May 11th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I know how upset you must be! Argh! I'm going through something similar. Suffered for nearly a week before trying an e-visit. After reading all my symptoms, a nurse calls me up and tells me she's cancelling my e-visit and to come in at 10am for a office visit. It was 8:30am! I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis. One med is 3 pills a day for 3 days, then 2 a day for 3 days and then 1 a day for 3 days. Another med was 2 pills the first day, then 1 a day for the next 4 days. Plus super strong cough/congestion syrup. I still sound like I'm hacking up a lung but I am getting better and my rib cage is no longer sore from all the coughing. And my sinus's no longer hurt.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no one else in my family catches it. I've been sleeping in the recliner since this started!

They should have given you some meds especially based on your medical history!

Michelle M
May 11th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Marilyn,
I am really sorry that you are feeling so badly. I hope that you get to feeling better soon.

AuntieVic
May 11th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear you are feeling lousy. But not surprised to hear the "Virus" outcome from your Urgent Care visit. It seems like that is all they can say now a days. And I agree they don't even run test to determine what it is.

I hope you, and everyone else that is fighting these illnesses, start to feel better again.

maxwellthecat
May 12th, 2014, 02:59 AM
You might have bronchitis, DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS AND LOTS OF REST.
Be very careful if it is a virus or flu type. My best friend had we thought was the flu and she got rushed to the hospital by ambulance and they put her in the ICU unit. She is still in the hospital but, they took her out of ICU. When you are coughing up junk, is it yellow, green or brownish color, then that means there is an infection and she should have given you an antibiotic. I cannot believe they didn't do a chest X- Ray.
I'm not kidding about the fluids and the rest. I am always sick, I could probably be a doctor without going to college for a doctor.
I hope you feel better soon.

Marebear
May 12th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I'm so sorry you are sick! I hope you get some meds today.