PDA

View Full Version : Oh My, It's Thursday - first day back at work

Blondie
June 16th, 2011, 07:52 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/M43.jpg

Good Morning Ladies
I am planning on work today - thank goodness a fairly light day. Tomorrow will be the kicker. I am looking forward to seeing some folks and making a few bucks. Hope I haven't forgotten how to use a blow dryer. I know, it's like riding a bike.

I played around with some off center log cabin blocks yesterday. Don't know what I will do with them - but they are pretty.

Michele, enjoy your trip to Italy! Here in the states it is difficult to imagine taking a road trip to a different country. Your flowers are gorgeous. And hazelnuts already! Of course, my black walnut is setting it's tennis balls, as we call them. I will make a black walnut cake this fall and think of Daddy. He sure loved his black walnut cake with butter frosting.

I almost despaired of having any Sweet Annie spring up this year and when I was out in the back garden, saw a few volunteers. Love my Annie. Fragrantly sweet.

Anyone hear from Rebecca? I am assuming she is traveling to Richmond by now.
Jan Luna?

Any suggestions for super quick and easy gifts to sew?

Blessings to all.

Loonwatcher
June 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Good luck today at work Blondie. Don't over do.

Everyone enjoy your trips; stay safe. Those who are ill, praying you are feeling well soon.

Today is looking fairly nice; only possible T-storms later. I've got to try to get a walk in after work. I've been very bad and not getting my exercise lately.

Have a great day,

quiltingtrish
June 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Good morning everyone!

Not awake yet, so I will check back in later. I'll be thinking of you going back to work today, Blondie. Take it slow.

Thank you for the comments on the 2 photos, Mia. It made me smile. The bear one is a panel from Joann's and was so easy. It turned out so cute, that it is one of my favorites also. The other one - took me forever cause I kept procrastinting on cutting the fabric. The pattern scared me and I kept putting it of until I decided that I would use scrap fabric to try it and it turned out to not be that hard. So, don't let time slip by cause you get scared - just jump in with scraps and go from there!

Hugs,

NM Lady
June 16th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Good morning everyone.

Good luck Blondie at work, don't over do.

Everyone have wonderful trips and be safe in your travels.

Just one more work day and then it is a Saturday of quilt top making, I'm so excited. We will be learning to make a table runner and the x-rated quilt top.

I got caught up on all the BOM and all the pinwheels for the one pattern. It will be nice to get them finished and put together.

Everyone have a blessed day!

toggpine
June 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Happy Thursday!

Easy does it at work today Blondie! Whom are you making gifts for? Adult/child, male/female, and do they have any hobbies? That is usually where I start when deciding on making a gift.
NM Lady, Have fun at your classes! Good job on catching up too!
Nancy, Have a good walk!
Trish, I have to agree. I am working on a "guinea pig" quilt. I'm trying all sorts of stuff with this one. New pattern, new border techniques, new kind of batting, new quilting tools and techniques. I figured what the heck! I won't know if I don't try it somewhere. They aren't my favorite fabric colors, so somebody will get it in our Christmas gift exchange if I really hate it when it's done!

Today is the first day of summer vacation for Em. She doesn't really understand why we don't have school, but she will go with it for now. After her speech therapy this morning we are going to go swimming at the pool where Nana works. After that, we'll have a bit of lunch and head home to catch up on some housework. I've been chipping away at it for a week, but now is time to get serious. I need to wash the windows on the outside.(Where are Sandy's grandkids when I need them?) Then take down the curtains and give them a wash. I think we will try to take down the crib that is still in Emily's room today. If Cody needs it, he can put it in his room when his baby arrives. That should give the little Miss more space to keep her toys in her room instead of the living room.
It also looks like we'll have to make a stop by the fabric store. (Oh darn!) The sale on Warm's cotton batting by the yard runs through the weekend. They also have the rest of their batting 40% off. I'd like to find a small pkg of wool batting to use on the ironing board when I replace the cover. I may just end up with cotton, but we'll see. Have gift card - will shop!
That should be enough to keep us busy today!

We are missing a few folks! I haven't heard from Sewsoft, Cynthia, Sally/Shauna, Mary B, Lynn, Saundra/Sam, or Granny Judy in awhile. I hope they are all just busy creating beautiful quilty things or working in their gardens.
I'm off to do morning milk chores and start the rest of the running around for the day!
Take care!
Cathy

Sandy Navas
June 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Whew, I'm late checking in today. I did get logged in but didn't have time to read before heading to the pool with the girls. They did well at their swim meet last night but each of the three got disqualified (or, as they say, DQ'd . . . which I always thought was code to Papa about stopping at Dairy Queen) in at least one event. They take it all in stride though, and I credit Mom and Dad for their good upbringing. Anyway, the skies opened up with hail, thunder and lightening before time to head out but we did make it in time to get their swim team picture taken before the lightening started up by the pool. So, no swim time today. My paranoid DH thinks when he hears the thunder rumbling on and on that we are due for a tornado. I'm not fearless, but I can't spend my life worrying about things . . . so glad I'm not paranoid.

Cathy, Michelle said she'd be glad to help with your window cleaning if you'd let her milk a goat and pay her RT to WA. I'll get her packed up and on the plane as soon as the check clears!!

I did get to work on Rita's quilt last night and really intended to use my spare time this morning and finish the top but it's not gonna happen. I'll try to do it tonight though. I only have 9 seams to make . . . why is that so daunting? I really think that I'm getting excited about doing Emily's quilt - it is going to be a rag quilt with a penguin on it . . . one I've designed myself. Em is CRAZY about penguins. She was about 18 months old when we took her to the theater to see 'March of the Penguins'. She spent most of the film-time in the lobby hopping around but after that she was always heading to stuffed penguin toys. Five years later she still gets excited about penguins. She even wants to go see "Mr. Poppin's Penguins" starting this weekend in a movie theater near you . . .

I've been looking for a paper-pieced snowman pattern (freebie, of course) so I can do a wall-hanging for my little Sis. Haven't found one I really like, so I think I will have to design my own. I get so confused about which piece I should do first though . . . I'll learn. I'm going to have to call it my 'guinea pig', too.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone is up to.

bakermom
June 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Haven't accomplished all that much this week. DD is in town so i've been busy with her. We did spend some quality time at Joanns yesterday. I picked up a bolt of wide muslin, DD was busy in the yarn dept. collecting what she needed. i think she'll have to check a bag to go back, she's collected so much stuff since she's been home.
I've been enjoying my new-found freedom. I no longer have my boot and have been cleared to drive again. I did notice when I sat down to sew I still use my left foot!

debinmalaga
June 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Baker, congrats on losing the boot! Know you're thrilled to be able to drive again - that must have really been inconvenient for you.

I love checking in here this time of day and seeing how everyone's doing! Cathy, Paula has also been absent and Jan's been quiet, too.... hope everyone is healthy and happy and busy with something creative!

I ordered four more Quilt for Kids quilt kits and got them less than 48 hours later! They must really need quilts! If you're between projects or, like me, can't decide what to make next, you might want to consider one of these little quilts. You feel great doing them, and (other than your time) you only donate the batting, thread, and return postage. Postage is pricey these days, so I asked for multiple kits, that'll save them money and me, too. A couple of people have asked about the site - it's quiltsforkids.org. Once I get my housework touched up, I'll start the first of those - so fun!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful afternoon!

janluna
June 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm here Blondie! Just been checking in at night when no one is online. Hope your day at work was good and didn't tire you too much. Please take care of you. You are still in my prayers for better health and for recovery from your sickness and injury. I'm so sorry you were so sick.
Gina is doing well and sends her love to everyone. She is doing much better and is happy to be home with family. Abbey is also doing better. She says thank you for all the prayers and love that you all are sending and that she can feel your prayers working for her and Abbey.
I'm fine, so no one needs to worry about me. Just have been busy, except for tuesday. I slept almost all day. I felt pretty awake at bedtime and told Joe I'd never sleep that night. Much to my surprise I feel asleep and slept all night too. He said I must have needed the rest because I seldom sleep all night. I guess I was just playing catch up. It felt good and wed. I managed to get quite a bit done. Like laundry and floor mopping etc. Now if I could just find time to quilt.
Be good to you Blondie. Has anyone heard from Sally? I haven't heard from her in quite awhile. I hope she's ok.
Love you all. Hugs, Jan

sally
June 16th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hey gang here I am. Thank you of thinking of me Jan. I am well just real busy working away from home a lot these days and when I am home I am painting the outside of the house. Mind you I did take a quilt with me on my last overnight road trip and tied a quilt which I finished last week. I call it Busy Lizzy and you will know why when I post a pic of it. Other than that I am hiding in shame for my Province esp. for Vancouver. We lost to Boston in the Stanley cup final ( which in truth Boston was the beater team) but in any event you may have heard that there was rioting in the streets. Very sad esp. over a hockey game...millions of dollars in damage. Now I could see getting upset if someone tore up one of our beloved quilts...lol. but over losing a hockey game. Very sad indeed and not a good reflection of Vancouver let alone Canada.

meemeecyn
June 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Good evening, Quilting Friends. Hi, Cathy! Have been in Maine with a friend all week. We go every year as a birthday celebration and just veg, walk the beach, go to antique/quilt shops and do major giggling! Gee, we're both Grandmothers and still giggle! Glad to hear you are on the mend, Blondie. Sandy, your parents did an awesome job raising you! Good luck with the QFK, Deb. Gee, Cathy...it really is too bad you HAD to go the quilt store! :) Hope you found some good stuff.
So good to hear how everyone is doing!
Cynthia

janluna
June 17th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Good night dear sisters. Have sweet dreams. Blondie you are still under prayer from here. Feel better. Shauna and Trish it was good talking to you. Hugs, Love, and prayers, to everyone, Jan