PDA

View Full Version : What Quirky Things Do You Collect?

brook
May 7th, 2014, 02:57 AM
When I started out quilting and used a a "whole" spool of thread I decided to save it in case my grandson ever needed to play with one. Of course more that one is needed for play, so I eventually had 4 that he could use to make tires on a car he might make. Well, they were never used, but I kept saving them anyway. I now have a collection of all the empty spools since I started quilting. :icon_bigsmile: Is that scarey or what? : D

So what's your quirky thing?

GuitarGramma
May 7th, 2014, 03:04 AM
I "collect" license plate numbers, in order. I started with 000 when I was 18 years old, and 40 years later I'm at 970. I've been looking for 971 for months without luck.

No, I don't steal the license plates, I just keep track of the numbers. I've been told it's a sure sign of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

toggpine
May 7th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Goats.

Although the herd of real ones has been reduced to 18 total. At one point in our history, we were milking 32, and were running close to 100 with the kids & breeding bucks.
18 is a much more manageable number!

I also have a pretty decent collection of goat items.

kensington
May 7th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I have a cross collection, all styles and sizes. They cover my bathroom walls. LOL. My kids call that my prayer room.

I collect vintage dishes, vintage linens too. And I collect Hallmark ornaments. This is my biggest obsession... I have well over 2000 myself and I have given probably 300 or more away. I bought 75 this year alone. I love collecting them, decorating with them, giving them away... All of my kids have collections I gave them, as do my nieces and nephews.

I'm a Hallmark girl!

carolynrae
May 7th, 2014, 05:24 AM
I collect turtles, I have turtles in curio cabinets, in my yard, on my fireplace, turtle earrings, necklaces, etc. I also collect salt and pepper shakers, vintage dishes from yard sales, Hallmark Christmas Ornaments (a few), vintage cake plates, bubble dishes, just about anything I can find that is old. I have found quite a few wooden spools, vintage hankies, I am running out of room to put things. Esp. now that I am collecting fabric too.

rebeccas-sewing
May 7th, 2014, 05:26 AM
I've given up on collecting. As I get older I am starting to feel the need to reduce. I have a nice collection of Dickens' Christmas houses from Dept. 56 and a nice collection of vintage cardboard Christmas houses inherited from Joe's grandparents. I have no interest in accumulating anymore than I already have. Of course, most of them were gifts so I won't say no thanks if one comes my way. I have to say my largest collection is fabric. I guess recipes would be considered a collection. I don't know why I keep collecting them. I have a gazillion recipes I will never use.

mary3100
May 7th, 2014, 05:35 AM
I have a pretty good collection of pink depression glass and I also have switched from coffee mugs to shot glasses, much smaller! I am starting to think about downsizing everything but my fabric stash! When we move to a smaller home I must have a big room for quilting stuff and my long arm. Will probably be a basement long as it is nice and dry I am game...

Loonwatcher
May 7th, 2014, 06:06 AM
I collect (or used to) cookie jars. I have around 60. I've stopped as they take up too much room and we want to down size. Besides, now in quilt ... Need I say more. The CJ's got out of hand because my DS starting giving me one each year for Christmas. I love them but they were all new and I really collect "vintage" ones. What can you say, I love him and his CJs too.

Also have a fondness for the dark green depression glassware but have stopped acquiring that too.

Now my collecting is quilting stuff.

Bubby
May 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM
I have a very large collection of Fire King jadeite dishes. I quit collecting them a few years ago because I have at least 12 of everything. I also collect vintage linens and drawers from treadle machines. Jeff collects 4-leaf clovers for me. I have quite a collection of them that have been pressed.

Sewflower
May 7th, 2014, 08:40 AM
I collect thimbles and teapots. I also collect fabric. Lol

Monique
May 7th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I started collecting Christmas ornaments from every place we visited years ago. It sure is fun decorating the tree and remembering where we have been or from someone who has given us some. And now I collect thimbles from my quilt trips too although this collection is very small. I am now on the hunt for a silver thimble.

Patio Gal
May 7th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I seem to pick up wooden trays and wooden boxes at garage sales.....of course, in searching
for just the right chair, one year hubs said I collected blue chairs! Downsizing to 1200 sq ft I
am learning less is better....something to do with age,too, I guess....:)

Jess1377
May 7th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I love cute bird houses (painted really cute pretty colors) and it started out with my DS painting a birdhouse that was in the shape of a mobile home when he was about 4 years old. I love funny little owls and coffee motif items and I too for no reason whatsoever collect my empty spools! I wish they were the neat wood ones though ;)

MRoy
May 7th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I collect vintage carnival glass pieces, mostly amber and marigold colors. I've only added a few pieces in the last few years.

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2014, 09:05 AM
" am running out of room to put things. Esp. now that I am collecting fabric too. " Seems to be something most of us are facing.

Collected dishes, mainly blue and white that were china or just plain every day dishes, several other things but don't do the garage sale bit any longer as I have enough stuff to hold my own garage sale every week.

Just the other day I was thinking of giving away most of the Christmas Pfaltzware dishes I've collected over the years. Most were from outlets when outlets really did have bargains. I have enough for place setting for 12 plus serving pieces. Always thought I'd pass them down to granddaughters who would take over Holiday get togethers but not happening. I'll keep the place settings for 4 in the snowman pattern and a few of the heavy Christmas tree pattern for small holiday dinners and give away or sell the rest. If I ever have a big Holiday get together again it's good heavy paper plates for me.

Don't save empty thread spools for a reason, just throw them into a big clear plastic pretzel jar on my sewing desk.
A few times I gave some to guild member who makes up a huge glass jar of them for our quilt shows, you win a prize for guessing the number in the jar. Ones I keep are old wooden ones and the metallic ones from my MIL"s sewing kit.

Mpyles
May 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I collect all kinds of stuff...mainly dust!! Seriously...I have a wide range of collections...some I am letting go...as I too believe less is more...and less cleaning... I was a fan of Mickey Mouse growing up...all I have left of those are the treasured ones. I too do hallmark...but not more than 1 for me a year and 1 for each if my kids...my mom usually buys me and the kids one as well. They will have a full tree when they leave home. I like old quirky items..whimsical things that really would be silly to most. I also have a pitcher collection as well as some Limoges like boxes. Then there are the madam Alexander dolls my mother collected for me...I don't add to those but have the collection still. Recently I went thru and reduced my collections...too much to keep up with!!

slamb13
May 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM
The only thing I have that is even remotely close to a collection is that I buy a fridge magnet whenever we travel anywhere. Of course, we don't travel very much so it's a pretty minimal collection! LOL! But I do love having a little visible reminder that I can see all the time of our vacations!!

Momofmonsters5
May 7th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I have a cross collection, all styles and sizes. They cover my bathroom walls. LOL. My kids call that my prayer room.

I collect vintage dishes, vintage linens too. And I collect Hallmark ornaments. This is my biggest obsession... I have well over 2000 myself and I have given probably 300 or more away. I bought 75 this year alone. I love collecting them, decorating with them, giving them away... All of my kids have collections I gave them, as do my nieces and nephews.

I'm a Hallmark girl!

Hallmark girl huh.... I've been looking to replace one maybe you have it... Every year my kids get an ornament and somehow my daughter lost her first one it's baby looney tunes in a cradle made in 2002.

Momofmonsters5
May 7th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I have a collection of cherished teddies over 400 of them. They are in storage I didn't bring them to germany. If I ever buy a nice cabinet I'll display them. The kids broke my whole train one year when I had it displayed on a shelf so no more open displaying

BobW
May 7th, 2014, 09:48 AM
I'm a collector at heart. I collect kangaroos. I collect old, wind up clocks, and oil lamps. I also collect Fiestaware and Johnson Brothers Friendly Village dishes. I have a 28 place setting of the Fiestaware and a 12 place setting of the Friendly Village.

Sandy Navas
May 7th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Ahhh, the things you learn here. I'm not even going to try to list collections - there isn't enough room. So sad, so sad . . . I, too, am looking to totally downsize. Who wants the scrapbooking paper?

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Bob. You are all set for dinner for 40, so when should we come over? LOL

One thing I would like to collect are pieces of my grandmother's 'good Sunday' dishes. Only a platter left that my sister has. It the Glenwood pattern of C.C. Thompson, who made their dishes in Ohio nearby the Fiestaware company but Thompson went out of business in 1938. Did find a few Glenwood on EBay but Glenwood isn't the pattern name it's the style of the dishes. Reminds me that I do have some CC Thompson cups and saucers in a similar pattern and should get them to use next 'girls' lunch.

CountryHut
May 7th, 2014, 10:03 AM
I use to collect husbands

the 1st one is the father of my Children -- got rid of his butt - after he was abusive

the 2nd one -- who knows what I was thinking at the time - got rid of his butt - all he wanted was a pay check

the 3rd one -- was God sent -- I think - no - I know he completes me :)

QuiltingRN
May 7th, 2014, 10:09 AM
I collect Hummel Figurines, all displayed in a glass cabinet.
Fabric...of course fabric!
I have a small collection of vintage sewing items, mostly from Mom, a couple of cast iron irons, old thimbles, antique pincushions and my antique machines, which I use.
I have a very small collection of Russian Matryoshka Dolls.

Hubby and I love antiques and like to look when we are on a trip.

jsmetcalf
May 7th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Moose! Since Christmas time is when most moose items appear many of them are Christmas oriented, but they stay out all year. They say that when God was creating the animals He looked around at all the leftover parts, put them together and thus created the moose. Most people don't find them cute, but I do. I also seem to be collecting grandchildren - currently at 11, but if all 8 kids have the number of children they think they will there will be over 20 one of these days!

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I use to collect husbands

the 1st one is the father of my Children -- got rid of his butt - after he was abusive

the 2nd one -- who knows what I was thinking at the time - got rid of his butt - all he wanted was a pay check

the 3rd one -- was God sent -- I think - no - I know he completes me :)

This really made me Laugh Out Loud! So Glad you found the right one.

asta
May 7th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Well, I used to collect old cook books, pelicans and salt & pepper shakers but since my parents passed and I was faced with clearing out their home I decided to begin my downsizing. Gave up cookbooks and scaled back on S &P but since pelicans are hard to come by stayed with this. Since we downsized our home is not big enough to display these so I ended my collecting habits. But now I am addicted to pin cushions......

CountryHut
May 7th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Yes Ma'am -- going on 29 wonderful years :)

This really made me Laugh Out Loud! So Glad you found the right one.

BobW
May 7th, 2014, 11:46 AM

One thing I would like to collect are pieces of my grandmother's 'good Sunday' dishes. Only a platter left that my sister has. It the Glenwood pattern of C.C. Thompson, who made their dishes in Ohio nearby the Fiestaware company but Thompson went out of business in 1938. Did find a few Glenwood on EBay but Glenwood isn't the pattern name it's the style of the dishes. Reminds me that I do have some CC Thompson cups and saucers in a similar pattern and should get them to use next 'girls' lunch.

I didn't even list my mothers Pfaltzgraf Christmas dishes. It is a place setting for 16. When the ex and divorced in 2010 we sold a number of sets of dishes. We had 12 different sets of dishes, we changed every month. Many of the sets were 8 place settings. I kept the Fiestaware and we split the Friendly Village. It was a nice tradition, but I moved from a 4400 square foot home to a 1000 square foot apartment I didn't have space for more than I kept.

I guess I should also mention I collect antiques.

Carolyn23
May 7th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Sock monkeys!

Iris Girl
May 7th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Bells. My aunt started me by giving me one for my 16th birthday. Then I met hubby and he trucked the east coast for a short time and would bring me one from each state he stopped in, then anniversaries , holidays and so it grew.Places we went places friends went. My hubbys grandpa made me a beautiful shelf for them, then after he passed , hubbys step dad made me another, I have enough to fill 4 shelves if I spread them out.
Mainly I collect fabric.

Judy, USMC
May 7th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I collect (or used to) cookie jars. I have around 60. I've stopped as they take up too much room .... I really collect "vintage" ones.

That's me!!! I have 40 vintage on display on the top of every kitchen cabinet and also atop my dining room china cabinet. The newer ones are still in boxes and are being stored. DH inherited several pieces of Hull pottery and, with purchases, that collection is up to 22 pieces and kept in a display cabinet.

Now I've gotten into collecting key chains from the places DH & I visit. I've become fascinated by the ones that have a "spinner" element to them.

Oh, and almost forgot about the box of Beanie Babies currently in storage! Wonder how many others stood in line to get them ... and now they never see the light of day?!?!?!

bubba
May 7th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Oh dear, let's see.

There was the Harmony Kingdom phase, I've got between 100 - 200 of them, at least. Don't know the last time I bought one though.

I like old coins....if I come across one, I save it.

Purses, yes, I LOVE purses! Just ask Monkey Man!

Old crystal/glass dishes.....they are soooo soooo pretty!

I used to also collect Noah's Ark, but that went by the wayside and have not gotten any in probably 15 years.

I'm also willing to divulge I have boxes of Boyd's Bears and several of their figurines. Also have not bought any of them in a long time.

MM thinks I also collect sewing machines......does six count as a collection???

Divine Daisy
May 7th, 2014, 02:03 PM
I collect antique tape measures.

Since I had an oops with my daughter's kettle (it looked like a vintage 50's one you put on the stove.....turned out it was a modern electric look alike and I nearly burned her house down) I buy her antique silver kettle charms at every opportunity for a charm bracelet that she doesn't want, won't wear and makes her roll her eyes. But when I am dead and gone she will look at those kettle charms and smile about her mad old mother.

She says she won't. She says she will sell them and buy a new kettle!

ejgilly
May 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Hi. I collect thimbles, snowmen, fabric (of course), cookbooks and futbol (soccer) scarves. I am hoping to make two afghans for my boys with the scarves after I get enough.

mommadeb
May 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Replacements, Ltd. (http://replacements.com/index.htm)

Michelle M
May 7th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I collect fabric and books. I love them all!! However, I have had to pull in the reigns a bit because I have no more room. I recently made a huge donation of books and have given away any fabric that I am sure I will never use in a quilt. That has opened up much more room for new!!

mommadeb
May 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I collect scars. I have several from over the years. Yes, I play hard and still do. Maybe my love of quilting comes from all the stitches I've had... I hope I don't collect too many more but I'm doubtful as my job involves using sharp knives, cutting fish 8 hrs a day.

I also collect buttons, teapots and cobalt blue glass items (old and new). My favorite item is a small inkwell with a silver lid that I found here in an antique shop for $3

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Replacements, Ltd. (http://replacements.com/index.htm)

Thanks mommadeb, I have registered the pattern with Replacements but they haven't found any pieces.

I visited Replacements several years ago when I wanted to replace some pieces of my Noritake china. Was very pleased with the service as they had new and slightly used pieces for me to choose from. Glad I had brought a dinner plate with me, it helped me decide to choose the slightly used ones as they matched the rest of my set that has been used since 1956. DH was in the Marines and stationed in Japan when he sent me the Noritake china, settings for 10, set cost about $50. It arrived stateside in 2 wooded crates - the crates cost more than the china did.

MayinJerset
May 7th, 2014, 09:32 PM
I collect fabric and books. I love them all!! However, I have had to pull in the reigns a bit because I have no more room. I recently made a huge donation of books and have given away any fabric that I am sure I will never use in a
quilt. That has opened up much more room for new!!

How can I forget our collection of books! Or I should say DH's hoarding of books - he has some old paperbacks that are falling into little pieces of wood and also lots of travel books that no one uses anymore as we can find the info on the internet. Recently we cleared out about 5 boxes of books and donated them to a recreation center. He has already filled the empty shelves with more books, next attack are those old westerns that he has been reading and re=reading for years.

vchale
May 7th, 2014, 10:04 PM
My husband is a big collector (comic books, video games, computers, magazines, books,etc, etc). Me, not so much. I have several Swarovski items, mostly owls and then other kinds of owls but once my curio cabinet got full I told him that was enough. I also like to get a Christmas ornament when we travel, now have enough to decorate a tree with something other than paper angels and clothespin reindeer!

SallyO'Sews
May 7th, 2014, 10:41 PM
I have a thimble collection that I didn't really ever plan to amass. My DD#2 brought me one when she went on a trip somewhere, and then all of her siblings - and their friends! - started giving them to me as well. Now I have about 50 or so from places as far away as London, England, to Hawaii.

SuzyQue
May 7th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I collect vintage sewing items, lead crystal dishes and vases, and we inherited half of my mil's bridal basket collection. With over 3,000 books, you would think we collect books.....but with homeschooling nearing an end, we will be downsizing that library soon. I like to collect things that have a story behind them.....history.....memories.

Mpyles
May 7th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Hallmark girl huh.... I've been looking to replace one maybe you have it... Every year my kids get an ornament and somehow my daughter lost her first one it's baby looney tunes in a cradle made in 2002.

davidsgirl... 2002 Baby's First Christmas, Looney Tunes Hallmark Ornament (http://www.hookedonhallmark.com/2002-Babys-First-Christmas_p_6154.html)

Alicoons
May 7th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Raccoons. Not real ones, of course, but little figurines and sculptures. Our last name is Coons, so, yeah...there are raccoons hiding all over my house. :icon_bigsmile:

Genny
May 8th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Only by chance I started collecting marbles...marbles...and more marbles! When we moved into our home 10 years ago we started finding marbles. Every time it rained or we used a tiller somewhere on our 1 acre yard we'd find marbles. When I dug holes to plant flowers I would sometimes find a marble or two. The couple that use to own our home purchased it in 1934 and raised 7 children in it so I'm sure that's where a lot of the marbles came from. Also when my mother passed away I got a large jar of old marbles that belonged to my dad.

snippet
May 8th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Matchbooks.

I have them in frames in my dining room, still with their matches. If you have any, send them my way. They are hard to find nowadays.

QuiltingRN
May 8th, 2014, 01:51 AM
MM thinks I also collect sewing machines......does six count as a collection???

If six counts as a collection.....I guess I collect them too, I have five!

stationarymom
May 8th, 2014, 01:55 AM
it seems like the only thing i really collect is fabric since i can't pass up a good sale or pretty pattern

KerriS
May 8th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I have a collection of ballpens with advertises. I lost track at about 250.. I really don't know how many there are now. I keep them in two boxes, so this is not a very space consuming collection.

JCY
May 8th, 2014, 11:59 PM
I'm no longer collecting, but I have quite a few music boxes & Beanie Babies. The older I get, the less I collect of anything, as they're all dust collectors! It takes time & energy to dust all this "stuff"! I suppose my largest collection is my fabric stash. I read a lot, so I have a lot of books. I buy used when I can find what I'm looking for, but my shelves really are maxed out. I'm not interested in a Kindle. I want to hold the book in my hand & turn the pages. I also buy a lot of greeting cards & have them organized by categories in a drawer. I give cards to folks at my church on their birthdays & anniversaries, etc. A box of 12 cards from Christian Book Distributors figures out to be ~ 40 cents/card. That beats paying up to $5.00 for 1 card in the store. I don't consider any of my collections "quirky". lol JCY

GramaKathie
May 9th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Product tins that actually contained the product...like Toll House Chocolate Chip tins. I've packed them in the attic since changing my kitchen decore, but still can't make myself part with them.

Kateskloset
May 9th, 2014, 12:45 AM
I started a collection of pineapples several years ago. I don't know why I started, but you will definitely notice them in all areas of my house.

carolynrae
May 9th, 2014, 01:27 AM
How could I forget my collection of fountain pens, ink, stationary, I still like to write letters.

HdWench
May 9th, 2014, 01:51 AM
Used to collect Barbie collectibles, then it became bears, soft teddy to the ones from London when we traveled. Now it's only fabric and also got a good laugh at collecting hubbies :-) Me too, 3rd one was the Charm and a keeper!! I loved reading about what's everyone been collecting - anyone need Bears? Got rid of my 1st barbie and those clothes, but spent that money on more Fabric - I see a trend here hmmm

Thanks for the good read and smiles :-)

Debbie

craftyrad
May 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I don't dignify mine by calling them collections -- they're more like 'accumulations'. Cookbooks, recipes (although I don't cook much any more), salt cellars, cordial glasses, Christmas ornaments, cookie cutters, heart-shaped rocks from the beach, sea glass, frogs (not real ones, although one is a stuffed real bullfrog playing a harp!)

alliek
May 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
NO MORE COLLECTING! I have a red glass collection, I have a doll collection, I have a ceramic dog collection (a few cats too), I have books, books and more books. ( I love books!) I have recipes ( I will never make 85% of them, but I like them) OH, did I mention FABRIC, I love hand made ceramic dishes with earthtone finishes also. I've stopped "collecting", even though I still look but (sigh) don't buy (except for fabric of course):lol:

bhaggerty
May 10th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I have collected Longaberger Baskets for many years. Have not purchased many lately - like the old ones better than the new ones!

Also, like to collect Polish pottery- Boleslawiec - mostly the blue white traditional style of it!

maxwellthecat
May 10th, 2014, 09:23 PM
My DH collects DVD's and he has over 450 and still growing. He gets them from a friend of his. I feel like Red Box, lol.

janluna
May 11th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I collect tea pots and salt and pepper shakers. Disney movies, Shirley Temple movies, books, stuffed animals etc. I have to stop, I have no more room! It's time to go the other way, and UN-collect!

BellasQuilts
May 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Little rubber ducks. I got an Irish one and took it our on trip to Europe. Took pics of him everywhere we went.

Leah53
May 13th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Moose and bunnies (the dust variety). DH says I collect food, he's right, need extra for when things go south, freeze dried with 30 year shelf life, like I'm gonna be around in 30 years. DH carved the Santa in his piddlin days. The 3 moose pictured came from a friend in Alaska.