Sugar Cookie Bars

1 cup butter; room temp.
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla & mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt & soda & stir with a whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture and mix just until combined. Spread on a greased baking sheet (use a 13 x 18 pan). Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 min, until light golden brown or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely and frost.

Frosting
1/2 cup butter; room temp
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
4 cups powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
food coloring (if desired)

For frosting combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in 1-2 cup increments until combined, then add milk & mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie

SuzyQue
June 11th, 2011, 02:55 PM
This looks like a quick and yummy way to have sugar cookies without all the mess and trouble of cutting them out. I must try this one, too. Thanks!

patticakes
June 11th, 2011, 03:06 PM
This will be perfect for my family dinners! Thank you!

bakermom
June 11th, 2011, 05:41 PM
wish i had seen this before I made PB cookies for our potluck tonight. I like sugar cookies so much more.

newbiequilter
June 12th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Do you break the cookie into individual pieces? Before or after you frost them? Sounds easy.

mlt150
June 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Do you break the cookie into individual pieces? Before or after you frost them? Sounds easy.

Cut after frosting. Dianne

pdjewelrylady
June 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
YUMMMMMMY!!!! YUMMMMMMMY!!! YUMMMMMMMY!!!!!

Lisaau
June 28th, 2011, 03:13 AM
l've got a stupid question if you spread it ona baking sheet and its jsut one big slab and then you cook it how does it become a cookie .......what l mean is do you use a cook cutter or roll them into a ball before cooking coz it will be cooked when you take it out of the oven....and will be hardish or do you just break the slab into chunks ....l'm Australian and l 'd like to try this but am not sure of what to do thanks for your help.

K. McEuen
June 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
This is a "bar" cookie. You bake it like you would brownies and then cut after baking. From the ingredients used I don't think it will get crispy, but wouldn't be as cake like as a brownie. I have to take a dessert to a 4th of July picnic and was planning on making these. Bar cookies are nice because there is no rolling out and cutting of shapes. You just cut them into squares after they are baked and frosted.