View Full Version : I had the worst scare I've had in quite a while!!!

May 1st, 2014, 06:33 AM
Yesterday, I was sitting here in the kitchen on my laptop watching a video. Joe sits at his desk just a few yards away from me. I happened to look up and he was slumped over his desk. At first I thought he was just resting since he was complaining of feeling tired the last couple of days. All of a sudden he started making all these weird sounds. I rushed over to him and he was unconscious. I tried to rouse him and no luck. The scariest part is dialing 112 (emergency in the Netherlands) and getting a recording in Dutch. I ran to the neighbors next door banging furiously and ringing the bell like a maniac. The kids answered the door (parents weren't home). I asked if I had the right number to call for help. They confirmed I did and asked if I would like to try their phone. At that point, Joe called to me telling me he was okay. I rushed back and he was sitting in his chair with sweat pouring off of him and white as a sheet. At that point I was shaking so badly and breathing so rapidly that he started to calm me down. Yikes! It took the rest of the day for both of us to recover. I kept watch over him while he sat in the shower and then when he took a nap lying on the floor. He was so exhausted from it that he slept well for a couple of hours.

What had happened is one of his computers crashed and when he tried to use the backup it wasn't responding and he thought he had lost a lot of very important information. Since he was feeling a bit light-headed he decided to lay his head down on his desk for a few minutes. I didn't know if he'd had a heart attack, a stroke or what. So you can imagine the state I was in. Anyway, he's fine. He just recently had his yearly physical and blood work was all good so he feels that it was just this thing that he experiences called Vasavagal Syncopy. The first time he did this since we've been married was quite a number of years ago when he got up to go to the bathroom because of some pain he was having. When he came back to bed he passed out. That time I called 911 and got immediate help. He said today, after seeing how I reacted yesterday, that it will be a good thing if I go first. I told him I've known that for years.

He now tells me that this happened to him a couple of times when he was younger. I just pray it doesn't happen again any time soon or if ever. I wasn't going to share this but it was so upsetting that I just needed to write to someone about it. Knowing some of you have actually experienced the death of your loved one I have great sympathy for what you must have gone through. Just his passing out was an extremely traumatic experience for me. I think even more so since we're so far away from home. As Blondie would say, "I was askeered!"

May 1st, 2014, 07:09 AM
Scary stuff. I'm glad he is okay!

Swedish leo
May 1st, 2014, 07:21 AM
I am so happy for you that all went well!

What a fraightining experience.

Take care of each other

Much love and hugs


May 1st, 2014, 07:22 AM
I'm so glad he's okay. But I really think he should go to the doctors for a follow up. I think being very tired and run down for days previous to this event should not be ignored. Take care.

May 1st, 2014, 07:25 AM
I'm so happy that he is ok, and that you're ok, but I agree with Nancy. He should definitely get checked out.

May 1st, 2014, 07:30 AM
So glad he is ok.

May 1st, 2014, 07:35 AM
I 2nd that motion . .. just b'cuz his yearly was fine -- things do change

I'm so glad he's okay. But I really think he should go to the doctors for a follow up. I think being very tired and run down for days previous to this event should not be ignored. Take care.

May 1st, 2014, 07:42 AM
WOW,,, that must have been so frightening for you!!!! I had one small scare like that, but I was a lot younger... DH passed out at work and his BP kept dropping.. in ER,, they were trying to call it "vertigo"... it turned out he had lost some weight and his BP med was too strong,, bringing it too low... and I almost died from a twisted bowel.... that ended in re-routing... too lengthy.. BUT.... this almost losing your spouse it scarey stuff...it does bring you closer though..i hope you had a glass of wine and re grouped a bit... stress is a killer... that I know first hand..So glad this story ended on a higher note.. but yes, I would maybe check a little deeper..:)

May 1st, 2014, 07:44 AM
Glad he's OK but have dr. check him out just to be sure. Maybe Joe can find out what triggers the episodes.

May 1st, 2014, 07:53 AM
I can only imagine your fear and concern. I am glad he is okay now, but I too would be getting him back to the doctor for a follow-up exam. Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

On another note, it is frightening that you got a message when you called your local emergency number instead of a person who could actually help you. This system needs fixed.

Iris Girl
May 1st, 2014, 07:54 AM
Glad he is ok

May 1st, 2014, 08:01 AM
I'm glad Joe is feeling better and I agree that he should get checked out by a doctor. I would've been scared too and more so if we were in another country with a different language and no other family there. You did good Rebecca!!

May 1st, 2014, 08:13 AM
Rebecca, I have experienced your fear. I'm glad that all turned out ok, however Joe needs to follow up with his doctor. Cold, clammy sweat is a side effect but major sweating is a MAJOR signal of heart disease. When Don had his heart attack in 2008, he started off if tiredness and sweating. The ER doctor determined he was having a massive heart attack, he said he was having one of the worse cases of sweating he had seen in his career. They had to give him big doses of fluids and drugs to counter act the loss.

Don had always been healthy, rarely drank, never smoked, wasn't over-weight, walked 3-4 every day, didn't have high cholesterol - yet his front main artery was 90% blocked! You just do not know!

Please have Joe go to the doctor, better to be safe than sorry.

And remember the Emergency Service personnel in Holland speak English, but do have someone explain to you or listen now through the recording for instructions or what number to press to connect to a human.

Huggers, Ruby

Jean Sewing Machine
May 1st, 2014, 08:20 AM
Oh, Rebecca! How scary! I hope he gets back to the doc to get things checked out.

May 1st, 2014, 08:26 AM
Thanks. I hope he'll see the doctor especially since he's going back to the states tomorrow for business. He's very stubborn so I don't know if he'll take my advice.

May 1st, 2014, 08:34 AM
I agree with him seeing a doctor and make him write down all his symptoms before going so he can show the doctor. Guys have a tendency to gloss over things.

I don't mean to scare you even more, but what if he had been driving when this happened?

May 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
Could very well be the Vasalvagal Syncopy. My sister has that. Her's is triggered when she becomes nauseous. She has had many black eyes from meeting the porcelain throne face first. Needless to say when she starts feeling nauseous she panics. She had an episode at work not long ago (she's a nurse at the VA) and sat down on the floor to keep from falling. Her supervisor chastised her for not going to get help!

Wouldn't hurt like the others said to see a doctor, though.

May 1st, 2014, 09:28 AM
Rebecca, that would have askeered me and I would have soiled my pants.

Maybe after seeing how much it upset you, he will go and have himself checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Sandy Navas
May 1st, 2014, 09:39 AM
Sending major HUGS. And, as Ruby said, I'm sure if you weren't panicked that you would have found the emergency operator would have spoken English, also.

Hang tight and maybe slip the word to someone Joe may be traveling with to make sure he sees a doctor while he's stateside.

May 1st, 2014, 10:34 AM
So sorry for your distress. Sending love and prayers your way.

May 1st, 2014, 10:44 AM
This is probably one of the ONLY times in my marriage I would play the wife card and say "Please do it for me".... (going to the MD)
glad he's ok :)

May 1st, 2014, 12:25 PM
I would have been scared, too! Sounds like you did a great job. I agree a visit to the doc might be in order, but know how my hubby is about that stuff. Being so far from home made everything even worse. So glad he is ok, but hoping and praying that he will go for that check up!

May 1st, 2014, 12:27 PM
I'm so glad he is ok! But I've heard of a number of cases where a person was "just checked out and everything is fine" and then they had a serious heart attack within a few weeks. Please encourage him to get re-checked. You will both sleep better at night.

May 1st, 2014, 12:32 PM
Rebecca I'm so glad that Joe is ok and I'm so sorry you had to go thru this horrible scare. Hopefully it will never happen again. Genny

May 1st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Gurrl! You had every right to be askeered!!

Glad he is okay

May 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Glad that Joe is doing fine and nothing bad happened, like an accident. I can imagine what you feel like and I hope you don't have to go thru it again. Have a nice and peaceful weekend

K. McEuen
May 1st, 2014, 01:37 PM
He would have been under interrogation when he told me "it happened before when I was younger." Thanks for the warning Joe! Has he ever seen a doctor about it? I'm not real keen on going to doctors, but if I was having random sweating-passing out type events I think even I would go and see what was up. Glad he was ok, but I sure would stay on him about getting it checked out and I'd send a list of questions along for the doctor that I wanted answered.

I went to hubby's neurologist appointment with him once and asked her a bunch of things. His next appointment she asked him where I was. Seems she liked telling me what was going on because he never asked her anything.

May 1st, 2014, 02:07 PM
Rebecca.....I agree with the others.......and like songbird said.......play the "wife card" and get him to go to the doctor.

It must have been so frightening. Glad Joe was okay.

May 1st, 2014, 03:05 PM
Yikes!! I am glad he came out of it, but I agree with the others. GET TO THE DOCTOR ASAP!! If he does not go while stateside, drag his butt to one when he gets home. About eight years ago while in Hawaii, MM fell four different times. He always had an excuse for why it happened. Well, once we got home, we went to Portland to pick up the grandboy for a visit and it was not till a week later, after we had spent the day taking Tyler back home that he bothered to call the doctor.....and it was Urgent Care because it was so late at night. Anyway, I asked who he was talking to and all he told me was we have to go to Urgent Care and you need to drive. On the way there, he told me that right around Thanksgiving he had noticed his feet were numb and while we were in Hawaii it was spreading up his legs. He never told me a thing!!! After a whirlwind of appointments with specialists that we got in to see within the week (so I figured it was serious), they told us he had a large tumor in his spine and behind his lung that was causing this problem. I was a wreck. He was working graveyards and there was someone who lived near us he could have ridden with, but he would not ask. While we were at the neurologist (he does not like me in the room w/his doctors), I had told him if he did not ask about driving I would. So, I asked and the doctor said he should absolutely not be driving. Well, we argued about this for the next three days he was off work. Finally, when he was getting ready on his first night back, I asked him what he wanted me to tell Mrs. White the next day. He asked who that was. I told him it would be the widow and mother of the man and children he killed because he could not tell if his foot was on the gas or the brake!! He looked at me and knew he had lost the battle. I drove him to work every night and our daughter picked him up for the next two weeks before his surgery.

Things can change that fast. He was fine one week and the next all this started. MM did not go in because he did not want to ruin our vacation. He was lucky the kind tumor he had, which was the largest they had ever seen, is not cancerous 98% of the time.

Please get him to the doctor....he really needs to be seen.

Judy, USMC
May 1st, 2014, 04:52 PM
Glad he's OK now ... but this may have just been a warning sign. I'm with the others on recommending he get this investigated a bit closer. If he had it in the past there may be some medication or treatment that is currently available that wasn't around when he was a kid!

May 1st, 2014, 05:59 PM
That's very scary. I hope he's better!

May 1st, 2014, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear he's ok.

May 1st, 2014, 10:03 PM
Wow, yes, that would be a major scare. Yes, send him to the doctor - no ifs ands or buts! So happy that this was just a good scare. Hugs.

May 2nd, 2014, 02:00 AM
So happy he is ok. I still think I would have him checked out.

May 2nd, 2014, 02:14 AM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience. i agree with everyone else have him seen just to be sure this is a freak episode and not a sign of trouble. I can feel your anxiety though,yrs ago i left my husband home with the kids when i returned i found my mother and no husband she told me that he needed to be rushed to the hosp.for chest pain i felt so bad but my father met me to let me know it was just a muscle spasm. i was so relieved then that when i got into the room with him i told him i would have killed him had he died,(no sense i know)

May 2nd, 2014, 05:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your deep concern. This thing he has is called Vasovagal Syncope. He had extensive testing done the last time this happened. He feels confident that it is nothing serious. He just left this morning to head back to the states for business and to spend a very short amount of time with our daughters. He's very stubborn and even though I have told him to go see his doctor I know he won't. Here's a link to this condition http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vasovagal-syncope/basics/definition/con-20026900. The doctor gave him instruction on what to do if he feels one of these spells coming on but he totally forgot and did just the opposite by putting his head down on his desk. This is the fourth time this has happened in his lifetime and two of those times I've been with him. I just need to try not to freak out if it happens again. Not an easy accomplishment. I have told him everyone here is concerned and highly advising he get checked out but as I said he's a stubborn cuss.

May 2nd, 2014, 06:04 AM
That was a real scare that was compounded by being in a foreign country with language limitations. I'm so glad Joe was okay. I would make Jeff see a doctor if that happened to him if only for peace of mind.

May 2nd, 2014, 06:54 AM
Wow, this is a terrifying thing to read - I can only imagine what you were feeling. Like being trapped in a horrible horrible nightmare - wake up Rebecca! Now tell Joe to wake up and get to the dr to make sure everything else is okay. I know he sounds stubborn but as said above, I WOULD play the wife card. Put your big girl panties on and ride that broom.