PDA

View Full Version : Seeing a New Doctor Today

dizzyLiz
April 30th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Well I've waited for 6 weeks for this appointment. I see a pain management doctor today, and a rheumatologist on Friday. Pain management docs are not my fav people.......typically they are meat markets, get them in, get them out. I'm not very optimistic about this appointment...we will see. I have to take a narcotic on occasion and my GP is not comfortable prescribing it on a regular basis, hence referral to pain management. I can't take any NSAIDS due to my asthma, hence the narcotic. I don't like taking a narcotic, but have to for any quality of life. We will see.

Suzette
April 30th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Good luck today Liz. I hope this doctor can help you with your pain. I'll be keeping you lifted in prayer.

sewluvit
April 30th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Good luck Liz with your appts. I go to a rheumatologist too, gotta keep that pain down.

Kgrammiecaz
April 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I love my pain management physician. He is not one of those you speak of, and really works with me to find the solutions that work for me without compromising my health further. I hope you get one of the good ones.

Slokarma
April 30th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Good luck to you.

I'm kind of irritated with most doctors I meet these days.

GrammaBabs
April 30th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Liz,,, I'll be thinking of you and hope things work out.... doctors really need to understand a patient and with enough visits should be able to realize what YOU need.... everything in moderation as they say,, if you know it's what you need and it's not abusing,, then I would be firm or find a doctor that will understand... I DO NOT believe in "narcotics",, but the RA doc may have a better plan for you... work with him... I have found the Rhuematologists have a much better understanding of the pains that come with the different types of arthritis... RA espcecially can be about a LOT MORE than just joints... fatigue and all around ill feeling is common... they have NO set plan for treatment ... each is an individual... I hope you can find a great doctor as I have... just keep the bloodwork up on a regular basis...it is a trial and error for a while, but there is much available now... Good Luck dear friend... keep us posted!!! GB

Texas Sue
April 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Good luck today DizzLiz. I can relate to the pain you are in. I an lucky my GP will prescribe hydrocod/apap for my pain. I had to sign a paper stating I would not seek pain meds from anyone else. I hope you find help today. Keep on keeping on. Texas Sue

Michelle M
April 30th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thinking of you and hoping that the appointment goes well.

IBake
April 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM
I hope this PM is the right fit for you. My PM is who keeps me on my feet and not laying in bed biting on wood to keep my sanity in check. He works with me to find what works. In fact, his last words to me last visigt were "You have been at this long enough that you know what keeps you going. When I don't get any emails from you, my assumption is that you are OK." It's nice ot have that sort of relationship.

easyquilts
April 30th, 2014, 04:32 PM
You should have my doc.... She never hesitates to order WHATEVER. I need..... And makes no bones about it. I love her...

Sixtop
April 30th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Good luck! I'll be in your same boat soon - finding a PM that doesn't just hand out pills.

Sandy Navas
April 30th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Anxious to hear how your visit went. Know that I've had you in my prayers.

dizzyLiz
April 30th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Well here it is ladies. I was pleasantly surprised. I was nervous as you all know. I see addicts every day at my job, and I didn't want this doctor to assume I was a drug seeker. He came in, sat down and talked to me for quite awhile. Asked what brought me to him, listened and asked educated questions. Asked what treatment I had received thus far, what worked, what didn't. At the physical exam, he was very concerned about my knees, said it sounded "crunchy", hips not so much. He agreed to reduce the inflammation in my body is the answer, my asthma complicates treating said inflammation. He also asked direct questions about my life, married? how long? children? grandchildren? hobbies etc. This is what impressed me; he asked how pain effects my day to day life, relationships etc. I knew when he asked this that he gets it. Plan of treatment, celebrex; which may trigger my asthma. Only one way to find out & I just took one. Sitting here waiting with my epi pen just in case. He also gave me pain meds. We talked about my reluctance to take narcotics. He thinks it is goling to take a combination of things to manage my pain and narcotic is one of them. He applauded my weight loss efforts and encouraged me to continue. He also ordered x-rays of my knees and hips. He is very interested in what the doc Friday finds. Thank you for your kind words. Please pray I can take the celebrex......less pain would be so precious.

Love Always,
Liz

ilive2craft2
April 30th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Sounds like you found a good doc! Hoping and praying that the celebrex does not trigger your asthma. Sitting with an epi pen at the ready is not any fun at all, but I totally understand that precaution. Also hoping that the appt on Friday goes well too. Long term pain is no fun to deal with and it weighs on you in ways that people without pain just don't get. Gentle hugs.

GrammaBabs
May 1st, 2014, 07:59 AM
Liz.. this is just what I was praying for,,, for you.... now when this Doc works with the RA doc (if you need to keep him as well)... I think your life will get so much better... finding the right combo is difficult.. but when you find it.... STAY WITH IT... for most people that is the most difficult part of treatments... So encouraged for you!!!
The weight thing.... I'll cheer for you,,, you cheer for me!!:)

dizzyLiz
May 1st, 2014, 09:14 AM
Ok ya'll. After I took the Celebrex last night, I got a chill. Just could not get warm. I waited about a hour and and finally told DH I'm freezing, going to bed. I was in bed asleep by 8 last night LOL. Slept like a baby. Honestly I think the chills was from nerves, I was really anxious about seeing this doc. After 12 hours sleep I feel great LOL. So time will tell. I'm going to be amazed if this works and I get my life back......after the hell I've lived with. Thanks for all your prayers.

Sandy Navas
May 1st, 2014, 09:45 AM
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!!

ravelim
May 1st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Grandma Babs I totally agree with you. Liz,I hope this doctor works for and with you. Pain is not fun except when it goes away.

HdWench
May 1st, 2014, 11:34 AM
Liz, hope you can take the Celebrex and find some relief for your pain! There is a huge difference in being "tolerant" to pain meds, versus becoming dependent or addicted! When they are needed to help you achieve quality of life, it's great the doctor understood these aspects and asked great questions. Hope you find out more on your next appt.