PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Sunday

MayinJerset
April 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Since the rain passed late yesterday afternoon DH and I will be back putting mulch put down in the back yard. Silly DH only got 4 bags of mulch and thought they would be enough, we really need at least 8 more just for the back. Not just a simple job of just spreading the mulch as DH found rotted bottom boards on 2 of the fence panels so they need replacing. Fence is cedar and shouldn't rot but we've found that the support boards aren't cedar. It is also slow going as we need to sit down and rest every 15 minutes so mulching should be done in time for fall clean up.

Anyone have a hydrangea shrub? I think ours should have leaves and buds by now but I found the three foot hydrangea bare. Most of the stems are pliable but no evidence of new growth. This shrub began as small Mother's Day plant from DS#1 and family about 25 years ago. I remember their oldest DD who was about 8 at the time giving it to me, she's our oldest DGD and soon will be 32. Did find a long stem of holly growing behind the shrub but that's a pretty small replacement for a favorite old shrub.

Enjoy your day whatever you have planned.... May

Madeforyouinma11
April 27th, 2014, 10:45 AM
Morning May! I'm late today. I stayed up later last night because hubby worked a double shift, so we're just having our first cup now.
It's been rainy here too. It's supposed to be clear on Monday and Tuesday then rain again. We need to spray our lawn on one of those two days before the rain with weed killer. We are trying to stop the dandylions from coming.
I hope your hydrangea comes back...maybe it's just making sure winter is actually gone.
I got my 9 cube cubbies yesterday so I plan on doing a little work in my sewing room today.
Well, I'm off to do some reading and then I need to get a move on with my day.
Hope everyone has a great day!

rebeccas-sewing
April 27th, 2014, 10:55 AM
I laid down almost 60 bags of mulch when I was home. I'm really hoping it keeps the weeds down while I'm away from home.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 27th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Hello forum friends!

I haven't been posting much lately because I have had a very sick laptop, several of the most often used keys do not type, so I make more mistakes than usual. Got a new laptop and I'm trying it out for the first time this morning, and it types like a dream. So now, all the mistakes are because of my bad typing skills, not the computer's fault!

I had out of town visitors for a few days this week, my sis and her husband were in town for a wedding of his niece, so my brother who lives here in St. Louis, Sis and BIL and I went exploring. Saw a wonderful exhibit at our local history museum in honor of the 250th birthday of St. Louis. They chose 50 important people, places, events in St. Louis history and gave a brief bit of information about each. It was just the right size exhibit, you could wrap your head around it because it was just enough information, and very interesting!

Then, to help the 250th celebration along, there were 250 fiberglass birthday cakes commissioned to local artists to decorate, and these were distributed around the city and surrounding areas. My granddaughter's teacher is asking the students to find the cakes and take their pictures by them, and tell where they found them. So we spotted two of the cakes, one at a park we went to Saturday, and one at the World Bird Sanctuary, a rehab facility for injured birds of prey. Granddaughter was so excited!

Today is going to be a relaxed day, perhaps I'll take in a concert by our local community adult band. They are fabulous musicians of all ages, and they always entertain, so I think I'll take that in. My sister and hubs may come back tonight to spend the night here as they leave for home tomorrow, and I live about 10 minutes from the airport. It will be good to see them one more time before they leave!

Hope you all have a great day. We're supposed to be in the eye of the storms from out west, due to hit later this afternoon and evening. We'll see how that works out.

cyndiofthevortex
April 27th, 2014, 10:56 AM
It's still cloudy and a little drizzly here in NH. We need to clean the gardens up from this past winter and mulch. I hate to work outside in the cold! Where did the temps in the 70's go?

One of my most beautiful euonymus plants died over the winter, one right in the front of the yard. I'm so sad about that. It was 5 years old and so healthy last year! We have two others but that was the nicest one. I'm friends with my plants and hate for anything bad to happen to them.

Ginny B
April 27th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Good morning all. Happy Sunday. May, we got our mulch down yesterday before the rains came. Also got our raised beds ready for the veggies too. It was a busy day. Before we got into our yardwork, we had our little grandson Max' 4th birthday party. They had it at an Environmental center nearby so we got to go on a nature walk and they also did a little presentation to the kids with some animals. Max got to pick 4 animals to show and he picked a bunnies, ferrets, a guinea pig and snakes. I steered clear of the snakes. It was also our anniversary so we went out to dinner after cleaning up from our yardwork. When we got home last night, we were so beat! Went upstairs to get into our pj's. I turned on the tv up there and we just stayed there. It was just so comfortable and we were so sore we didn't want to move anymore. LOL

Today we are going to a friends to celebrate our anniversary with him. Early dinner (which I always love on Sundays) and then we can have a nice relaxing evening. So, no sewing for me this weekend but I have off on Thursday and Friday and I will be using those two days to finish up stuff for the craft fair on Sunday.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

WendyI
April 27th, 2014, 11:59 AM
May I have hydrangea's and I think you are in the same zone as I am. I haven't really taken a close look but I think it's a bit early yet for them to be doing anything. I will check mine but they may have died here also...it was a brutal winter. I had a standard hydrangia tree in my front yard and the weight of the snow broke all the branches so have to dig that out. I have a LOT of yard clean up to do uhg.

The sun is shining and I am sitting here having my coffee and having a violent hot flash...it's not really a flash just I'm boiling! But my feet are freezing! Menopause is AWESOME! :icon_rolleyes:

Sandy Navas
April 27th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Part of our Saturday afternoon find - guess what we had for dinner. I do love me some morels.
This morning we found 14 more and had scrambled eggs with morels for breakfast. Fit for a King!!

Expecting severe weather here (according to my alarmist hubby) so we've battened down the hatches to ride out the seasonal weather. Glad Al got the yard mowed yesterday - it sure needed it and it sure looks nice all trimmed up and purty!!

WendyI
April 27th, 2014, 12:07 PM
WOAH! Sandy!! WHAT A FIND!! We found them ONCE on our property...picked most but left several behind...sadly they never returned. They WERE SO delicious though! YUM!

BobW
April 27th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Part of our Saturday afternoon find - guess what we had for dinner. I do love me some morels.
This morning we found 14 more and had scrambled eggs with morels for breakfast. Fit for a King!!

Expecting severe weather here (according to my alarmist hubby) so we've battened down the hatches to ride out the seasonal weather. Glad Al got the yard mowed yesterday - it sure needed it and it sure looks nice all trimmed up and purty!!

Sandy,

I now know you have an evil side to you. Morels are so delicious. To post them just to tease the rest of us poor quilters. You have truly crossed over to the dark side! LOL I hope they were good.

Cathy F
April 27th, 2014, 03:43 PM
May I'm on Long Island and my hydrangeas are just starting to bud, my Oak Leaf ones have their leaves just starting to peak out from the leaf buds. I have one though that's not doing anything though. It has always been a thorn in my side. I think it's a hybrid cross between a regular and a lace hydrangea and it almost never flowers. I've tried every pruning trick there is and not much luck. Some have to be cut back in the spring as growth is on new wood and others don't have to be cut back as growth is on old wood.

MayinJerset
April 27th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Cathy, Thanks for alerting me with a PM. I also received conflicting pruning instructions about hydrangeas. I haven't been pruning my shrub, it is almost 3 feet tall and just as wide and each year it has been flowering very nicely. What I do is pull out any dead stalks but first the plant's leaves and buds have to show up so I can see the dead stalks. Right now the whole shrub is bare and the stalks are beige in color. I did cut a few stalks and they aren't dead so I guess it's a waiting game until something happens.