PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ANT remedy

New York Sue
April 23rd, 2014, 02:28 PM
I think I may have posted this last year, but I'm posting again for anyone who may have missed it.
It works THAT good. An entire colony of ants can be eradicated in less than 24 hours!
So if you have a problem with ants entering your humble abode, try this!

In a mason jar, dissolve 1 cup of sugar, 3 Tbs Borax laundry booster (powder) in warm water. Seal and shake until sugar and booster dissolve. (You will need a fraction of this mixture and could easily half the recipe.) A little goes a long way. Store in a sealed, LABELED jar at room temperature.

Place mixture in a soda cap or the equivalent, and place where you see ants entering. Allow ants to drink, but do not kill them. They will return to their colony, die off, only to be eaten by their colony mates. This takes less than 18 hours to occur.

I noticed activity yesterday in my kitchen. Put the remedy together around 4 pm, and let's just say, a festival occurred around the soda cap! Today, NO activity.

Last year I spent a small fortune on commercial chemical products that did NOT work. This works like a charm!
Save your $$ for fabric! ;)

Hulamoon
April 23rd, 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks Sue! I'm going to try this. My ant problem comes in spurts, especially when it rains.

Bubby
April 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Thanks Sue! I'm sure the state of Missouri is on top of an enormous ant colony. I've never seen as many ants in my life! I will give this a try. I have tried everything else too, with little to zero results. We have our ant issues outdoors mostly. Thanks again!!

whimpysue
April 23rd, 2014, 03:17 PM
I wonder if this is what Terro is? I buy Terro from Walmart when I see any ants, and WOW..last time my kiddos watched in wonder at the parade lol. Thankfully we do not get them every year. (It also worked on Black Carpenter ants). I will try the borax solution this year as I have some from making gooey gak. :)
Wendy

Michelle M
April 23rd, 2014, 03:27 PM
What size mason jar are you using? Or, how much water?

New York Sue
April 23rd, 2014, 03:54 PM
What size mason jar are you using? Or, how much water?

OOPS! 3 cups warm water.
I used a quart sized jar, Michelle. But the remedy could be easily halved.

nonnietomany
April 23rd, 2014, 03:58 PM
will this work on fire ants, they are terrible here in South Texas. We have tried commercial ant killers but our dogs keep eating it and getting very sick. Trish

Suzette
April 23rd, 2014, 04:23 PM
I have tried this recipe in the past and it worked for me too, but keep it away from your pets and kids. Also, if you put it outside, try to keep it from other wildlife. And for your own safety, when you are adding it to the sugar, do not breath in the borax "dust".

Iris Girl
April 23rd, 2014, 05:00 PM
I use boric acid powder each spring I sprinkle it around the outside of the house in a continuous line. They won't cross it , but if they do it goes home with them...no more ants.

Miss Sheri
April 23rd, 2014, 06:50 PM
This sounds good. I usually use equal parts vinegar & dawn dish soap in a spray bottle when the ants swarm. It kills every one of them, and the ants won't cross where I've sprayed but, it doesn't kill the nest like yours.

JCY
April 24th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I heard that talc. powder works, too. I had a bunch of ants in my bsmt. last spring. It took a few days, but eventually they were gone. JCY

stationarymom
April 24th, 2014, 02:48 AM
years ago when my son was a baby my mil told me that if you knew where the ants were coming from you could just pour powder on the ant hole or opening and this would kill them as well, i did that in our br and it worked.

bonniebella
April 24th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Thanks, I will try it, our ant problem is really bad atm. As you said the commercial products just don't work.

Suzette
April 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM
If you have time and patience, corn starch works too and is totally safe for everyone but the ants. Just sprinkle it along their path and over the ant mound. It takes a few days, but they will go away. For me, this works better outside than inside. Once they are in, I want them gone now! :lol:

Mpyles
April 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM
This was on facebook the other day.....

ANTS BE GONE

Do you have an ant problem, inside or out... This will get rid of them... Save on your time line by hitting share and you will always have for future reference..

Ant Killer

What's so cool about this is, it took them 2 minutes to find it and 5 minutes to fill up like the pic ! Wow

1 empty water bottle
(Cut it down to about 2" tall)
5 Tbsp of baking soda
5 Tbsp of powdered sugar
3 Tbsp of water.

The very best way of eliminating ants is truly simple:

Take a small amount of powdered sugar (also called icing sugar) and mix it with an equal amount of baking soda (formally called sodium bicarbonate) and water.
Powdered sugar is essential. You cannot use the larger grains of sugar for this..

Mix the two powders together and water then place small amounts against the walls or other areas where you would not normally walk but where you would normally see the ants.

The ants will be attracted to the sugar and will eat some of it and collect more to take home to feed others, so all of them will get their share.

The sugar and baking soda powders are similar in size and, once mixed together, the ants cannot separate the two items, so, as they eat the sugar, they will also ingest the baking soda, which they would otherwise never touch. This is the reason for using powdered sugar.

Once the ants eat the baking soda it will react with the formic acid in their stomachs and cause gas. The bodies of ants are unlike humans and they cannot eliminate gas so it will build up inside them and eliminate them.

(`.)`
.`..♥

dwil23
April 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM
So far so good with no ants in the house - but in the yard? Ant mountains all over. I have powdered sugar and baking soda on hand, think I will mix some together today and experiment.

Lindagie
April 24th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I have tried the dawn/vinegar solution several times without much success, but others say it works great. I am going to try the powdered sugar/borax solution today and see how it works outside. I have Terro upstairs as the ants seem to like coming in one window; it works great as there are no pets or little ones up there to bother it. I will try about anything to get rid of the little pests.

WendyI
April 24th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Well am I EVER glad to see this! I had a colony of black ants that I thought I had eradicated but all they did was move! Only problem is that they eat aphids, and I don't like them much either! I never used to have pests in my garden and then in the last year I suddenly had EVERY nightmare pest you can think of! :( It's very discouraging and I refuse to use chemical sprays....except on thistle...those are unREAL to try and get rid of. uhg.

quiltsRfun
April 24th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Well am I EVER glad to see this! I had a colony of black ants that I thought I had eradicated but all they did was move! Only problem is that they eat aphids, and I don't like them much either!

Just an FYI
Ants do not feed on aphids but instead have a mutually beneficial relationship, protecting aphids from their natural predators and harvesting the honeydew aphids produce as a byproduct of feeding. Ants will protect the aphids, their source of honeydew, from natural enemies and allow the aphid population to become damagingly large.

Peggi
April 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I wonder if this is what Terro is?

Yes. The MSDS for Terro lists Borax as the active ingredient, and I suspect the other ingredients are a sweetener of some kind and a liquid.

I've also used Terro in the past and whoo boy, that stuff DOES work. We had a neighbor with a wood pile on our property line, and he moved it when he put his house on the market. I think it was infested with carpenter ants, who started looking for a new home. They found our deck, so we replaced it, then I started finding them inside my home. I consulted exterminators who gave me outrageous quotes. I purchased the little plastic cartridges of Terro, which had the consistency of a thick, syrupy gel. I put one under the stove in the kitchen, one under the sink in each bathroom, and one under my son's bed - all places I kept seeing ants. Within a week they had disappeared. This was 4 years ago and I've not seen a single ant since.

Lilly
May 8th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Thank You New York Sue for posting this. I told my daughter that I went on the quilting forum to get an answer to our ants and she said "Mom that's not a quilting forum. It's a Life forum." I guess it is. Thanks to all!

janluna
May 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I'll have to try this. This year we are getting the big carpenter ants. The little red ones disappeared when the Black ants showed up. We have lived here for 39 years and never had an ant problem. Now all of a sudden we have ants everywhere and carpenter bees too. ICK!
I'll let you know how it works. Thanks Sue! Have a wonderful Mothers Day everyone! Hugs, Jan L.

Sheena
May 11th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Thanks for posting this. We usually have loads of ants but it looks like they're moved to America. We've only got a few so far this year, but I'll be trying your recipes on them if they come back.

Sharyn J
May 12th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I use the liquid Terro and it works great. The main ingredient is Borax so I guess home made versions would work well using the Borax.