PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING EASTER FOR US!

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2014, 03:19 AM
I hope your Easter celebrations were good ones. Sounds like our Miss Trish had a lovely day. Mine was very quiet and a bit of missing my girls. Holidays are hard when we're away from home. Joe and I managed to find a Catholic church within a fairly short walk of the house. Of course, it was all spoken in Dutch so we weren't really able to manage the responses. Of course, we could pretty much guess what the priest was talking about since we're all familiar with the resurrection. I think the folks around us were probably wondering why we kept so quiet. You could see their faces light up when I shook their hands and said the ever familiar "peace be with you." I'm sure that answered their inquiring minds. The church is quite large and has a cathedral feel to it. Very high ceilings with beautiful stained glass windows behind the alter and on all the side walls. They had the most beautiful sounding and very professional voices singing with a massive organ and violinist to accompany them. They did a fair amount of chanting and closed the service with the Hallelujah Chorus. It was very moving. On our walk back to the house we passed by the town square and the one picture is what we saw there. Joe was so funny! "I want Easter candy!" Unfortunately, the stores were all closed. Not like home when the market is at least open a few hours. Nope this town was very quiet except for a few folks out enjoying the morning. I did have one giggle to myself. The priest was so, so old I was thinking I hoped no one accidentally blew on him or he might fall over. I know, I know! I'm very bad.

The Wisteria in our backyard has finally come into full bloom. One of my all-time favorite vines but one with which I have no experience. I kept looking at it when it was just beginning to get its buds and thinking it might be Wisteria. I'm so happy my suspicions were correct. I think it's neat the way they sort of turned it into a tree. When we open the back door the aroma is fantastic. In the background is our little garden house. It's too cute to call a shed. hahaha7390573906

stationarymom
April 21st, 2014, 03:32 AM
I know how hard it is to be away from family especially at the holidays. My family is scattered around all in the U.S. but too far to drive. I'm glad you had a nice day though. It looks beautiful there.

Divine Daisy
April 21st, 2014, 05:34 AM
Your Wisteria is far ahead of mine. Is a lovely pale colour too. Mine is just beginning to come into leaf, had very few flowers last year due to late snow, am hoping for better this year. For the past five years the blossom on my damson tree has been either blown off or frozen off. This year we have managed to get to the point of the blossom falling naturally so fingers crossed for fruit in September! I doooooooo hope so!

I am ashamed to say that my perfect English garden is not doing well at all this year. Between being in hospital and having humongous quilts to do I have not done ANY prep work in my poor garden. I must get to it or it will suffer come summer,

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2014, 07:16 AM
Thanks for sharing your Easter expperience with us! Love your wisteria! We had that plant in the backyard of the house I grew up in! Lovely!

Blondie
April 21st, 2014, 07:23 AM
Oh Rebecca, what a lovely day for you! How fun! Love the pictures - and your backyard wisteria is the perfect pairing with the garden shed. We also have wisteria we are training into a tree. Lots of pruning there - a nice harbinger of spring.

Monique
April 21st, 2014, 07:51 AM
Thank you Rebecca.

Bubby
April 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM
I'm glad you had a good Easter. It is very hard when you are away from your family. The wisteria is gorgeous and well along for this part of Spring. Your garden house is adorable!

Sandy Navas
April 21st, 2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for sharing. It seems that every day is a new adventure for you and Joe in your new home. What a wonderful experience.