PDA

View Full Version : "Shy Baby Dolls"

dollymaker
April 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Does anybody make shy baby dolls? I just started making quilts but have been making shy baby dolls for about 20 years now and really enjoy it.

Madeforyouinma11
April 20th, 2014, 10:54 PM
I've never heard of them.do you have pics to share? I've never made a real doll, but I am going to attempt one for my granddaughters birthday. We'll see what happens.

dollymaker
April 20th, 2014, 11:36 PM
THANKS! WATCH FOR ME IN THE FUTURE

dollymaker
April 21st, 2014, 12:00 AM
I'm new at this so will try to figure out how to send you a pic tomorrow.

Madeforyouinma11
April 21st, 2014, 12:41 AM
You can post them right here in the thread. Look at the bar right above where your writing..there is a smile face..4 icons over there is a frame..click on that and you can upload a pic right from your computer..choose your image, then hit upload. It will now be included in your post. Good luck and if you have a problem, just ask.

carolynrae
April 21st, 2014, 01:01 AM
I've never heard of shy baby dolls either. Would like to see one. Are they easy to make??

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2014, 04:02 AM
Are they made of cloth? I googled "shy baby dolls" but I don't see any baby dolls made of cloth. They all look like vinyl.

mspepper
April 21st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Never heard of them, but sure would like to see a picture.

GrammaBabs
April 21st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!!!
Not that I really need another project that I "can't wait to try"....:)

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 12:52 AM
I tried to send you a picture but they are in a file called IMG and this program doesn't seem to want to let me post it. Tomorrow a friend of mine is going to come over, hopefully she can help me out. Thanks for the info so far!

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 01:25 AM
These dolls were at one time someone called cry babies, I call mine shy babies, I like that name better. My dolls are not made out of fibrefill with wire legs. Mine are all made out of wood and will stand forever. They are approximately 27 inches in height.
I donate a lot of them to organizations as fundraisers. They take anywhere from size infants to18 months clothes. I just made two for the wildlife federation in camouflage clothes,(which I make,) I think they're going to raffle these ones off. I came from a poor family when I was young and never had a doll until I was about 8 years old, guess that's why I make for other people now.

Hulamoon
April 22nd, 2014, 01:42 AM
Dollymaker if you send me the picture to my email I can get the picture up for you. My addy is in my profile page.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 02:24 AM
Thanks Lori, but I don't see your email address in your profile.

MayinJerset
April 22nd, 2014, 02:35 AM
Are they standing dolls dressed in small children's clothes that you only see their backsides as their faces are hidden?

Hulamoon
April 22nd, 2014, 02:37 AM
Thanks Lori, but I don't see your email address in your profile.

Opps it's under user notes in my profile. took me awhile know that was there. It's really handy when you want to get back to stuff.

MomGram
April 22nd, 2014, 03:50 AM
If there the ones I'm thinking of they were called time out kids in my area. I had one at my front door for years. The pizza delivery guys loved him. I told them that his name was Not-me. He was always in time out because he did every bad thing in the house. Since every time I asked my boys who did this, they'd say not me. Some butt stole him one night.

Hulamoon
April 22nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
I see what you mean by not being able to download them. I could only save the small pics in the emails not the enlarged ones in the slide show

Sandy Navas
April 22nd, 2014, 10:20 AM
I had one for years, about the size of a three year old. One day I overheard one of the girls say "Momma, what did she do that Nana won't let her come play with us?"

MayinJerset
April 22nd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Yes, those are the ones I was thinking of. Didn't know they were called 'cry babies', think calling them' shy babies' is a nicer name of your cute dolls.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
These dolls aren't really to play with, they're more like , guess you might call them ("SHOW DOLLS"). Yes, you can dress them in small children's clothes or you can make a lot of their clothes like I do. I have tried putting faces on them but wasn't successful at that so don't bother doing that. Their faces are covered mostly with their hands, and hats. Yes they just stand.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 11:32 AM
So funny!!!! One elderly lady told me she put her two matching boy and girl at the window so they could look out and watch for the school bus that was comeing to get them. I had asked her if she had wanted them for her grandchildren and got a NO! they're not getting them! And older people want them because they feel like then someone is keeping them company. Funny what some of the reasons are sometimes.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 11:44 AM
Sorry they took your doll! I made one, one time for a friend of ours who owned an a&w, dressed like the a&w colors and one of his employees stole it. He kicked up such a fuss they brought it back, so it stood again in the restaurant. He was an older man so I was surprized that he bothered to do that.

Madeforyouinma11
April 22nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
Oh, I love these! I've seen them before and know them as "time out" dolls.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Hullamoon put a couple of my pic's on for me until I learn to put pic's on for myself. you would love making them.

Bubby
April 22nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
I've seen these before and they were called Time Out Kids.

Preeti
April 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM
learned something new today!!!
Never a dull moment at the forum :-)

bubba
April 22nd, 2014, 06:42 PM
Oh! I didn't know this is what you meant. They also call them time out kids here. When my oldest grandson, Tyler, was about two (he is soon 19), these were very popular. My sister Paula and I used to make things of wood and paint and sell them. MM and I got to the school to set up booth and she was not there yet. We had Tyler with us. A nearby booth was putting these dolls out. I asked if I might borrow one to play a trick on my sister. I walked out by the front door to wait for her, carrying the doll like it was a sleeping Tyler on my shoulder. She saw me, put down what she was carrying and asked if she could hold him. I said sure! I grabbed the doll by it's ankle swung it over to her. I thought she was going to poop her pants!!! She chased me for several feet, but we were both laughing so hard that people just looked and stared.

dollymaker
April 22nd, 2014, 07:39 PM

my first angel doll and 2 pipeline dolls

GrammaBabs
April 22nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
So cute... time out around here as well!!!! :)

Hulamoon
April 22nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Oh good you figured out how to post a picture:)

They are all really cute. I like those black wooden figures too. Someone around the corner has a cowboy.

AuntieVic
April 22nd, 2014, 10:58 PM
Oh I can't wait to see the post tomorrow, sounds like a new project for me. I have been making stuffed animals recently and have looked at a few doll patterns to see what it would involve.