PDA

View Full Version : Burp cloths (Cooler heads prevailed)

HandsomeRyan
April 18th, 2014, 07:56 AM
A while back I posted a thread about some burp cloths I wanted to make (http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/37363-funny-mean.html) for my brother's baby.

Update: I went in an entirely different direction and I think they came out nice and no one will get offended by them...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0057_zpsmuz2qzp6.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0057_zpsmuz2qzp6.jpg.html)

My brother has 2 degrees from VT and is a big fan of the school. He was on campus when the shooting occurred a few years ago but was fortunately in a different building at the time. He lives in Seattle now and while I believe Hokies are worldwide, he is unlikely to find as much VT "stuff" out there. Some people bleed maroon and orange, others let their baby spit up on it.

I found this fabric at my LQS and originally just intended to make the bag from it and the burp cloths were going to be something different but then I decided that I could just continue the theme throughout. The squares of fabric were "wonder-under'd" to some rectangular cloth diapers (which should have their name changed to "burp rags" because no one is using this style of cloth diaper anymore) then I did a satin stitch around the edges to finish them. They came out really nice although I did a poor job folding and arranging them for this picture so they look very uneven. The bag is a simple pattern lined with bleached muslin and I used a button for a closure. It is actually sized to hold a travel sized pack of wipes and a few diapers to be much more transportable than an entire diaper bag when all you need is diapers and wipes.

Interesting question: A quick google search for "Virginia Tech Burp Cloths" shows dozens of ebay and ETSY sellers using this fabric in items they are selling but the selvages clearly state "for personal use only". Is this like those signs grocery stores put up about "not being responsible for shopping cart damage" (uh, yes you are if they are your carts on your property) to scare people off when really they have no legal right to control what you do with it?

easyquilts
April 18th, 2014, 08:23 AM
You did a great job, and your gifts will make your brother smile.... How's our little guy doing?

HandsomeRyan
April 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
How's our little guy doing?

He is doing well. He starts daycare on Monday so keep a positive thought for his mom as she will be sad to go back to work.

He helped daddy on this dresden plate table topper for my other brother yesterday afternoon. He looks a little unsure because he was laying on a hard plastic table with no padding so I could get this shot:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0055_zpsn6nnri0o.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0055_zpsn6nnri0o.jpg.html)

MayinJerset
April 18th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Oh Yes, Sawyer is the coolest nephew ever with Dad's handiwork in the background.

Burp clothes came out great, glad you took my advice about using the VT fabric to embellish them with, they look great and don't irk anyone.

Good Luck with Sawyer's day care - I'm sure he'll adjust very nicely but Mom and Dad are the ones who will be missing him terribly.

New York Sue
April 18th, 2014, 09:19 AM
First off, your son is beautiful, Ryan!
I LOVE the burp clothes, too! I made several from the cloth diapers, sewing and quilting a colorful fabric panel down the middle of the cloth, lengthwise. They came out adorable, and washed beautifully!
I got the idea, when my daughter received one as a gift from a upscale Philadelphia gift shop.
Another "Hey! I can do THAT!" moment.... ;)

MayinJerset
April 18th, 2014, 09:32 AM
First off, your son is beautiful, Ryan!
I LOVE the burp clothes, too! I made several from the cloth diapers, sewing and quilting a colorful fabric panel down the middle of the cloth, lengthwise. They came out adorable, and washed beautifully!
I got the idea, when my daughter received one as a gift from a upscale Philadelphia gift shop.
Another "Hey! I can do THAT!" moment.... ;)

Great idea! As soon as I finish my quilt for guild's quilt show I'll be making a small baby quilt for my oldest DGD who is expecting this summer. I'm using a charm pack and some yardage and there will be plenty left to decorate some diapers as burp cloths.

New York Sue
April 18th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Great idea! As soon as I finish my quilt for guild's quilt show I'll be making a small baby quilt for my oldest DGD who is expecting this summer. I'm using a charm pack and some yardage and there will be plenty left to decorate some diapers as burp cloths.
Some advice, Sister!
Most cloth diaper cloths are not even close to square! Just finish it off, thinking 'outside the box'... :)

JCY
April 18th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I make burp cloths all the time for new moms at my church. The quickest way for me is to use baby patterned flannel fabric from FQs. I just trim/square the edges, turn wrong side out, sew up the seams, leaving one end open. Fold & press under the open end. Stitch all 4 sides. Press again. JCY

Wwena
April 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM
You made a good call! How special they will be to your brother. :) I'm sure your humour will come out in another way. ;)

BobW
April 18th, 2014, 12:13 PM
I think you made a very good choice. Sometimes it is best to come down on the side of caution. I'm sure your brother and sister-in-law will appreciate the burp rags.

Hulamoon
April 18th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Cute! I forgot if you said if you knew it was a girl or boy? This is cute https://www.etsy.com/listing/109635428/spring-sale-4pc-burp-cloth-and-onesie-or?ref=sr_gallery_1&sref=sr_83a8a13ca9095d183e0130b7d3c61edf6d512f9c4b b7f8b8f29405744583e185_1397836427_14147461_baby&sref2=MTA5NjM1NDI4%3AYmFieQ..%3AMTQxNDc0NjE.%3Adml yZ2luaWEgdGVjaCBiYWJ5%3AdzA.%3AMTM5NzgzNjQyNw..%3A MjoxMzk3ODM2NDI3OnVXdFZITlpnYXJjVzhPOS1PQmQ3aTFrcD JVVm46aGthR2RqWGcwZkVMcC1TUThhRDkzUVo2RVFmMDo3OGEz NTY0NTNlMmNiZTk4NzA0NmRmYzc3NmE5NzIyODNkNWZiNWIx%3 A35418d1730f196618bcc7a215d23deaa6949e566&ga_search_query=virginia+tech+baby&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_ref=auto2&ga_explicit_scope=1&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery

MayinJerset
April 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Some advice, Sister!
Most cloth diaper cloths are not even close to square! Just finish it off, thinking 'outside the box'... :)

Sue,
Thanks for the very welcomed advice.

GuitarGramma
April 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Interesting question: A quick google search for "Virginia Tech Burp Cloths" shows dozens of ebay and ETSY sellers using this fabric in items they are selling but the selvages clearly state "for personal use only". Is this like those signs grocery stores put up about "not being responsible for shopping cart damage" (uh, yes you are if they are your carts on your property) to scare people off when really they have no legal right to control what you do with it?

I took a short class on copyrighting patterns and brought up the issue of "Can they really restrict us like that?" The teacher explained that anyone can put whatever restrictions they like into their copyright. BUT they themselves have the sole responsibility for enforcing their own copyright. There is no "Copyright Enforcement" branch of government checking Etsy and Ebay for copyright violators.

I bump up against this because I'm such a Superman fan and all Superman fabric has the "For Personal Use Only" statement on the selvedge. Personally, I hate it but honor it because I like to do the right thing. It's my little contribution to making the world a kinder, gentler place.

EDIT: The "For Personal Use Only" includes making gifts to give to people. So your great burp cloths are well within copyright parameters.

IBake
April 18th, 2014, 04:34 PM
The only one that may be upset is the Mom if she isn't a Hokie. We bleed chicago brick red and orange here at this house. Youngest son got his BA there and his wife who has a Masters and PhD there. We swore the kiddos were going to be born orange and red....

I have that fabric for place mats for them for Christmas.

An odd tid bit. The reason Tech picked those two colors as the school colors was that they did a survey, and these two colors had never been used together for colllege colors. Yeah, we know why, but you can't miss a Hokie! Go Tech...and great choice, Ryan.

Simply Quilting
April 18th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Great looking burp clothes. As far as that type being used as diapers, they still are and I know some people who do use that style for their babies.

HandsomeRyan
April 19th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Great looking burp clothes. As far as that type being used as diapers, they still are and I know some people who do use that style for their babies.

Someone else on Facebook mentioned that too. I know plenty of people who use cloth diapers but all of them use the modern "Fitted" type and not these oldschool ones. I guess some people love tradition? As the parent of a 2 month old I can not imagine using cloth diapers of any sort- gross!

Vonnie
April 19th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Someone else on Facebook mentioned that too. I know plenty of people who use cloth diapers but all of them use the modern "Fitted" type and not these oldschool ones. I guess some people love tradition? As the parent of a 2 month old I can not imagine using cloth diapers of any sort- gross!

It gets worse when they start eating solid food! Especially meat! My oldest will be 30 this year and I can still remember some of those diapers! :icon_shake: We used disposable diapers but that was before the ones that were snug around the legs. By the time we had our second one they had come out with huggies. Such a simple design change but what an improvement. I have some horror stories but I think it's best that I don't give you nightmares. :icon_shake:

Suzette
April 19th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Very diplomatic with the burp cloths! :icon_bigsmile: They are great!!

Love that pic of Sawyer! He is such a cutie pie!! :icon_bigsmile:

I'll be keeping mom in my thoughts and prayers on Monday. That is going to be a very tough day for her, I'm sure.

BellasQuilts
April 19th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Much better choice, Ryan. He will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Can that baby get any cuter?