PDA

View Full Version : Ponchatoula .. and many more

brenmar
April 18th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Love your place names - so different from ours in the UK. What do you think of place names here? Any come to mind?

Bubby
April 18th, 2014, 07:22 AM
What strikes me about place names in the UK is that many of them are so long. The town where we live has a hideous name (Licking). It is named after the natural salt licks we have in our area that the deer lick to get nutrients. It still makes for one odd name.

HandsomeRyan
April 18th, 2014, 07:42 AM
When I think of UK places I always think of [Something] upon [something else]. Very few, if any places in the US are "upon" anything.

Here in Maryland, a lot of our place names are not terribly creative. My mailing address is Mount Airy which is quite literally located on a windy hillside. Pennsylvania, just north of Maryland has some really interesting names: Intercourse, Bird in Hand, Egypt (which is named for the North African nation).

Auntpiggylpn
April 18th, 2014, 09:17 AM
I think the names over there always sound so sophisticated and classy. Of course, I think that all cities over there have constant sunshine, lush green grass and flowers always in bloom. Funny how movies skew our perceptions! In the states, we have such peculiar names such as Intercourse, Pennsylvania , Hell, Michigan , Santa Claus, Indiana. We live in Paw Paw, Michigan which is perfect for us because of our love of animals - 4 dogs & 5 cats and we are big into fostering and rescue and I have an Associates Degree in Veterinary Technology. However, I think it is named after either the Paw Paw bush or the Indian tribe.

MayinJerset
April 18th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I do love the UK town names and they all seem to have some interesting history behind them, or as Ryan said, are upon something or other. Been to England several times and can't remember all the towns we stopped or stayed at. Nothing too interesting around here. My town is Hazlet, named after a man who in colonial times owned all of the land, not too original or noteworthy unless you are descended from the Hazlets. Next town is Keyport because it used to be a key port in the area.

Auntpiggylpn, my SIL lives in Paw Paw, over in The Crossings.

Quiltfreestyle
April 18th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I'm like the others here, UK names sound so historic & interesting.
Here in Southern California we have a lot of Spanish names, one of my favorites is Cucamounga. So much fun to say...
We also have a lot of "Rancho something" towns. Most are named by developers who built them to sound fancy. Lol
California has a lot of ghost towns from the Gold Rush days with funny names, Angel Camp, Roachville, Dunmovin, Calico...
Try A google search, it's really funny..

Kateskloset
April 18th, 2014, 11:35 AM
In Louisiana we have a lot of American Indian names of towns, and French names (for the early settlers). I used to live in a town called Bogalusa, (indian). Maurepas, Mandeville, Ponchartrain, all from settlers. When you call a customer service department of a company from far off they usually slaughter the pronunciation! LOL

quiltsRfun
April 18th, 2014, 01:10 PM
My folks live in a town called Helper. It's a railroad town where the the helper engines are put on so the trains can get over the steep mountain. Once the train gets up the mountain the helper engines disconnect and return. People who aren't from the area think it's an unusual name but it makes perfect sense to me.

bubba
April 18th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Washington has names that are difficult to pronounce.....Cle Elum, Peell, Puyallup, Sequim. I have been to Pennsylvania and find theirs quite entertaining.....Intercourse, Blue Balls, etc.......

K. McEuen
April 18th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Hey, New Mexico has you all beat - a town named after a game show. Truth or Consequences. To the "natives" here it's known as T or C.

brenmar
April 19th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Fabulous names - ok, here are some from the UK. This one's for Ryan - Ashton-under-Lyne - Once Brewed, Pity Me, Nether Wallop, Ugglebarnby, Constable Burton, Mousehole, Oswaldtwistle, Ashby-de-la-Zouch and the unpronounceable one from Wales - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch. Good luck with that one! I could go on and on and on and I haven't even included the naughty ones. :icon_giggle:

WendyI
April 19th, 2014, 07:33 AM
We're so boring in Canada. :0

My family comes from a place called Flatlands...and yep...you guessed it...there's a bunch of flat land surrounded by the Appalachian mountain chain (although they kind of are hills really when you compare them to say the mountains in BC.

That's all I can think of.