PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Buy Clothes After Gaining Weight?

Elliegirl
April 17th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Three years ago I was on high doses of steroids for severe asthma. I gained 30 lbs and it has not come off. So I finally admitted it won't come off and need to buy new clothes. Of course the pants must be elastic waists. I like Aflred Dunner pants but not so much the tops. I thought of Coldwater Creek, and saw online they have filed bankruptcy and all stores will be closed by summer. I've never had much luck with Kohl's finding clothes that fit me. My sister buys a lot there but I can't find any.

What's a girl to do??

Susann
April 17th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Do you have a CJ Banks in your area? Love their clothes. I try to hit them at sale times-should have one coming up for Mother's Day.

Elliegirl
April 17th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Do you have a CJ Banks in your area? Love their clothes. I try to hit them at sale times-should have one coming up for Mother's Day.

I just saw where you live. I'm in Louisville and I just looked it up. The closest one is the outlet malls at Edinburgh. Exit 76B! lol I've been there many times! DH used to work in Indy for a few years and when I would go up for the weekend my car automatically pulled off at 76B!

WendyI
April 17th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'm in Canada so we shop at Penningtons or Additionelle...that's IT for me. I had good luck at Lane Bryant but I'm probably much bigger than you.

Lilly
April 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Walmart might surprise you.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 17th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Walmart Just My Size Jeans are my salvation!

CountryHut
April 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Jean - do you buy a size larger because of the shrinkage? . .

Walmart Just My Size Jeans are my salvation!

Miss Sheri
April 17th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I get Ryder or Chic jeans from K-Mart, they work for me. I shop my local thrift or consignment shops for tops and dresses. I happen to be in an area where there are plenty of wealthy ladies 'up on the hill' that donate to the same shops that I look through, I can often find wonderful items that I would never find in the local stores, for 6-8 dollars each.

GuitarGramma
April 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Wal Mart is about the only place I buy pants. They actually carry some very nice slacks.

For everything else, I shop at Dress Barn Woman. Great clothes with an upscale look but a budget-conscious price.

GrammaBabs
April 17th, 2014, 07:49 PM
You would be surprised at Khol's "on line" so much better choice than in the store... many stores will have just what I need on the internet, and once you find a brand and size you can work with,,, it's so much easier... Jean hit it on the head... JMS fits well for those of us with "fluffy" bodies...LOL and they do come in "lengths" which for me is a must.. my biggest problem is getting tops that are not down to my knees... "hemming" is not really an option for many knits, other than the ones I can cut and not have to sew...Marshall's has nice things occasionally at great price on clearance.. for me.. I buy "slinky" knit whenever possible and always BLACK pants.. they last and go with everything...:)

kensington
April 17th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Ciao. I love that they carry cute fashion stuff. They always have a thing or two on the clearance rack I like also. My niece shops at Lane Bryant.

yeeehawterri
April 17th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Lands End has some really great clothing and great sales and clearance prices.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 17th, 2014, 08:26 PM
Jean - do you buy a size larger because of the shrinkage? . .
Yeh! That's why the number is so big! No, I just buy my regular size. Jeans might shrink a bit when washed, but they seem to stretch back out as you wear them. I buy the size with the big W behind the number.

Susann
April 17th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I just saw where you live. I'm in Louisville and I just looked it up. The closest one is the outlet malls at Edinburgh. Exit 76B! lol I've been there many times! DH used to work in Indy for a few years and when I would go up for the weekend my car automatically pulled off at 76B!
I love the Louisville area-except for the horrible allergy issue. Can't believe that I've never been to the Edinburgh outlet. But, have family that always stops there on the way to Bloomington.

ravelim
April 17th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I ,too, have gained 30lbs. Maybe I'm cheap but I love Comfortable, Casual Plus Size Clothing for Women | Woman Within (http://www.womanwithin.com).

donella
April 17th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I have bought the Alfred Dunner pants at J.C.Penneys several times.Woman Within is good but they run really bigger than most so you may need a smaller size from them.

MayinJerset
April 17th, 2014, 10:03 PM
I like JMS jeans from Wal-Mart, they used to carry nice JMS sweats but now they seem to be made of fleece which I don't care for. Kohl's is nearby but I haven't been too successful buying clothes there, best items have been the black poly knit slacks, think they are Cathy something's brand. Would love to get a pair in navy but there only seems to be those capris ones. Women Within's clothes are too big and long for my size, tried ordering smaller size but that didn't work either. Fashion Bug was where I would pick up nice Tee's with cute designs but they closed. Lane Bryant clothes are too big, long and heavy. I may have to begin making my own clothes if I don't find a store I can depend upon.

buckeyequilter
April 17th, 2014, 11:24 PM
I buy JMS from WalMart too, they are comfortable. I used to buy Lee Rider at K-Mart and they quit carrying them. I buy what I like whether it's from WalMart, K-mart, Bass Pro, Lazarus....if I like it, I buy it. I have also ordered from Roaman's.

JCY
April 17th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Try the thrift stores. Watch for a bargain day. JCY

Angelia
April 18th, 2014, 12:21 AM
I like Woman Within.

kaydee
April 18th, 2014, 02:22 AM
For nicer, higher quality stuff (higher than Catherines and the like): CJ Banks for sure. Also, Eddie Bauer and Land's End. I really like the casual shirts and tanks from Duluth Trading (like the extra length). Other than that -- major department stores like Macy's and Nordstroms.

Enjoy!

stationarymom
April 18th, 2014, 03:00 AM
have you looked at macy's or sears? sometimes i get lucky there. old navy also carry larger sizes on line.

Iris Girl
April 18th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Not being a label snob I buy what I like and fits good no matter what store it is. JMS in walmart is great!

snippet
April 18th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I buy my jeans from WalMart, but i can't find them often because I'm tall and it seems like most of the time the larger sizes are for petite women. Not me.

I LOVE Dress Barn. I bought most of my work clothes there - think casual but nice. I even bought my mother of the bride dress there. Another place I like is JC Penney's. There is a Torrid at the mall that has really trendy, young stuff. I like going there every once in a while to spice up my choices. They are online too.

Claire Hallman
April 18th, 2014, 12:59 PM
I bought several things at Bon Worth last week [it was an outlet store]. I am fairly fluffy and their L size fits me just fine. I don't like elastic waist pants unless they are work out clothes so don't buy their pants but like their tops very well.

GuitarGramma
April 18th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I buy my jeans from WalMart, but i can't find them often because I'm tall and it seems like most of the time the larger sizes are for petite women. Not me.

I LOVE Dress Barn. I bought most of my work clothes there - think casual but nice. I even bought my mother of the bride dress there. Another place I like is JC Penney's. There is a Torrid at the mall that has really trendy, young stuff. I like going there every once in a while to spice up my choices. They are online too.

I bought MY mother of the bride dress there, too!

SallyO'Sews
April 18th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you? Ours has a good-sized Women's department, and everything from dressy to casual to lingerie at good prices. I'm 5'3" inches tall and wear size 14W - 16W. I buy quite a lot of clothes there; also Dress Barn Woman. The trick for me is that there HAS to be a W after the size number. That's because the proportions are different in Women's as opposed to Misses' sizes: for instance, the fullest part of the bust is usually a bit lower on a Woman's cut top, and the waist/hip ratio is also different (seems that the W sizes allow for more "fluff" in the waist than Misses' sizes).

Have fun shopping, and do show us what you find!

IBake
April 18th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Try Lands End. Their clothes even run a little large!

I can't believe it about Coldwater Creek. When I was working, they were my go to store. Also, their knit jeans are the best thing ever made. And you buy then a size smaller as they stretch when you wear them, then go back to size when you wash them...

Elliegirl
April 19th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Thanks for all the tips! I'll have to hit up Wal-Mart next week and we do have a Burlington. I was surprised about Coldwater Creek too! When I was working that's where I bought some clothes.

GinnyKNC
April 19th, 2014, 01:22 AM
I was surprised by a store here called Catherine's. Lane Bryant I can find things once in a blue moon lol.

dizzyLiz
April 19th, 2014, 01:59 AM
i LOVE Roamans. I do most of my shopping online from there. Most of their stuff runs a little big. Sign up for the newsletters and you will get lots of coupons. 40% off first item; BOGO; free shipping; B2G1 free