PDA

View Full Version : Thankful for a door and a window!

SallyO'Sews
April 17th, 2014, 10:35 AM
... in my workplace. Also for speakers on my computer, so I can hear less of what is going on "out there"... :icon_rolleyes:

Not that it's really all that bad; my boss NEVER raises his voice (well, I haven't heard him in the ten years I've worked here). Actually, I leave the door open all day, except for my 1/2-hour lunch break. Then I close the door and enjoy the solitude. And I am so grateful that I sit near a window, where I get actual daylight, even if it's single-paned and I also get too cold in winter and too warm in the spring & summer! :icon_shake:

Tell me what you like best about your workplace!

Miss Sheri
April 17th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I currently work as a high school cook, [yes, I'm a "Lunch Lady"!] The students are from my neighborhood, my children, their friends and associates, so that is fun. But, the best part is that I truly love all the ladies I get to work with! We laugh so much, every day, it's like working with your sisters, or best friends. I miss them, during the summer!

WendyI
April 17th, 2014, 10:53 AM
right now the fact that I don't have to be there but still get paid. I work with a great bunch of people, who I can ignore if I choose to and the fact that I have a window that opens, a door I can shut and speakers just like you. I have the autonomy to perform my job at my own pace provided I meet my deadlines which is stress relieving. I love that after 24 years I have 27 days of vacation plus one week paid shut down at Christmas. I can honestly say I am proud to work at the University of Waterloo!

Wwena
April 17th, 2014, 12:09 PM
The best thing is that I have my team mates (IT development is done in "teams" now instead of project groups ;) ) right in the same room with me. I don't like sitting alone, I get so much good info from sitting right in the thick of it with the developers. Gives me great testing ideas. :)

Michelle M
April 17th, 2014, 02:15 PM
The best part of my job is being around the kids. I work at a high school and the enthusiasm and zest that the kids have tends to make me remember that I don't have to take things so seriously. It's good to see things through the eyes of a child at times.

EmmaB
April 17th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I'd have to say having a wonderful boss. There is never a problem taking off when family issues arise or when dd was in school being off for school functions. Like when I was offered the cruise in January, when I asked him about being gone for a whole week....no problem and my pay didn't get docked either. I have it all girls and I'm so thankful. I will never have a boss like this again.

bubba
April 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
The best part right now is I'm on vacation and not there!! May 5 will be 31 years......I do enjoy bossing all those men around and telling them where to go though!

songbird857
April 17th, 2014, 04:30 PM
The best thing about my job is that I work from home! The arrangement was made back in November for me to leave my full-time position and come home, working part-time with a laptop and phone; originally so that I could sew. My job is crisis-based (I set up hospitalizations for nursing home residents needing inpatient psychiatric care), so my hours flux from one week to the next.
Although the original intent was to use the extra time to sew, my FIL has since come to live with us from Portugal since January because of Alzheimer's, so I don't do as much sewing/quilting as I would like at the moment. It's all good though - God knew why I needed to be here, even if I thought it was for something else!! :)

mommadeb
April 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM
I work in fish processing and although the work is mind-numbing boring, we have fun. The feed us breakfast and lunch, furnish our work clothing and work shoes. If there is no work because of lack of fish, we get paid anyway. If we need time off, we get it, no questions asked and no 'punishment'. We have fun, we laugh, we joke, we talk, we throw fish bits and sometimes we even have water fights. It's all allowed as long as we get our work done, which we do.