PDA

View Full Version : Window washing

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2014, 03:14 AM
What a boring topic, but someone has to bring it up. lol

My inside because of the humidity and dust kind of turns into a creature of it's own. I looked up all kinds of 'solutions' lol One mixed dish soap with vinegar. Wouldn't it be hard to wash off inside the house?

So that is my question of the night. What is your 'solution' ?

carolynrae
April 17th, 2014, 03:20 AM
My grandmother used newspapers and vinegar to wash her windows. They always looked clean. You would think the newspaper ink would rub off on the windows but it doesn't. I've tried it a few times and it works.

kensington
April 17th, 2014, 03:22 AM
That happens on my baseboards in the baths, because of the shower. The best thing is to clean it often. I like vinegar for cleaning anything.

Are you saying to spray the windows with vinegar and soap and leave it? Cleaning it off later? Or clean it with soap and vinegar? I tell you what, 409 will cut anything. I'd use that on the windows and then clean again with vinegar and water.

I would not use soap on my windows, those streaks would drive me nuts.

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2014, 03:31 AM
I think when I came across the soap/vinegar thing it was for out side and you could hose it down. This is a screened in deck and when it gets cold the build up of moisture on the windows inside builds up. I have to admit it has been a long time. Maybe a 409 might not be such a bad idea before I can keep up with it.

I have a spray bottle and could just get the refill.

kensington
April 17th, 2014, 03:33 AM
Something else that will cut anything, is oven cleaner, and they make it without fumes now too. They have the spray on, wipe off oven cleaner.

bubba
April 17th, 2014, 03:41 AM
Back when I was in Girl Scouts, we washed the inside windows of a church basement...and there were a lot of windows! We always used water, vinegar, and yes....newspapers. Worked like a charm!

Judy, USMC
April 17th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Sprayway 360 for all around cleaning (walls, baseboards) and the Glass cleaner for windows. In fact they recommend using cheap paper towels to do glass because it leaves less lint. Home page (http://www.spraywayretail.com/)

I travel 17 miles to my nearest ACE hardware to stock up at retail cost (higher than website prices!) They ship too - but since I'm so close it would be more expensive to get it delivered. But then again if you order it off their site the lower wholesale cost off-sets the higher delivery charge.....

edited to add: You have 4 ace hardware stores on Kauai - here's the locator. Hope one is close! http://www.acehardware.com/mystore/storeLocator.jsp#Kauai, hawaii|50

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM
I forgot to mention that this is a 12' sliding glass door with those dang metal squares to make it look all country. I could kill the person that chose that. Okay I'm dead. lol

Judy you are so cute. I have been here since 1979. I could walk in my sleep to every store here or that used to be here. Living on a rock :)

Divine Daisy
April 17th, 2014, 09:54 AM
I have a policy about cleaning windows. They only need cleaning when they get so bad you need to put the light on during the day.

When you start to use more electricity.......get out the newspaper and vinegar in a spray bottle

Pandabear
April 17th, 2014, 10:09 AM
My grandmother used newspapers and vinegar to wash her windows. They always looked clean. You would think the newspaper ink would rub off on the windows but it doesn't. I've tried it a few times and it works.

This is how my mom was taught too.

Peggi
April 17th, 2014, 12:32 PM
I hate Windex and Windex-type products. Worst cleaner ever, it ALWAYS streaks.

I found a spray foam window cleaner at the auto parts store. Works like a charm, never streaks. I always wonder when I find better products in male-dominated stores instead of female-dominated groceries...

SuzyQue
April 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Nothing is better than crystal clean, clear windows......well...ok...somethings are! LOL I love springtime window cleaning......I could even hire out!

Hulamoon
April 17th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I hate Windex and Windex-type products. Worst cleaner ever, it ALWAYS streaks.

I found a spray foam window cleaner at the auto parts store. Works like a charm, never streaks. I always wonder when I find better products in male-dominated stores instead of female-dominated groceries...

You know, that's a really good idea. I got a pin holder from an auto store that's meant for car parts when guys (or gals) are working on them.

Windex is too expensive for doing my windows. But you know what's it's good for? Ants! Once in a while I get them in the kitchen. I can wipe the counter without that horrible bug spray all over the place.

MillieS
April 17th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I use to have windows that I couldn't reach so I hired a window washer..He used soap and water inside and out. They looked wonderful and for some reason they seemed to stay clean longer than any other cleaning product..