PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable!!!!!!!

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Never mind!

K. McEuen
April 15th, 2014, 12:25 AM
A lot of the time it's not the community, it is the insurer that covers the home. Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Pits or some other bulls, dobermans, etc. are considered high risk/bite breeds and insurance companies deny them.

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 12:34 AM
It is still typical of being judged guilty before proven guilty. Breed Specific Legislation is uncalled for.....

kensington
April 15th, 2014, 12:36 AM
After googling that bred, (didn't know what it was)... and looking at images. I can see why people are gun shy. I'm afraid of dogs, as I was attacked by one when I was in my 30's, he jumped a fence, and I couldn't see him because it was at night. ER, stitches, policed involved to find the dog and verify shot records within 12 hours...

If your dog lived next door to me, I'd be flippin. Sorry, I know you love your pet. But... I just couldn't even deal emotionally with living near your pet.

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2014, 12:48 AM
Oh Sherri - that is terrible news! You finally found a place and now this? I am so sorry this has happened. Breed specific rules and regulations just don't make any sense to me - you can have a dalmatian or poodle treated poorly by humans and taught to be mean, but a landlord would not know anything about that dog and would accept based on the breed. I will step down from my soap box now.... Hoping that this means something even better will be found!

JCY
April 15th, 2014, 12:51 AM
After reading your post, I also googled the amstaff breed, which I'd never heard of. I don't care for their looks, especially the one wearing the black muzzle. My sympathies are with the owner of the rental. There have been too many incidents of pit bulls attacking people in Colorado. They are banned in several communities here. Sorry you're having problems renting, but it's understandable considering the circumstances. I bet if you didn't have that breed of dog, you could find a rental in a heartbeat. JCY

Shirley
April 15th, 2014, 01:09 AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have always been around dogs, and have never been afraid of them. We have a very large lab, that has pit bull and chow in his bloodline. He is the sweetest and most loving dog we have ever had. He has a very gentle nature and loves everyone. I sure wouldn't give him up for any reason.

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 01:09 AM
After reading your post, I also googled the amstaff breed, which I'd never heard of. I don't care for their looks, especially the one wearing the black muzzle. My sympathies are with the owner of the rental. There have been too many incidents of pit bulls attacking people in Colorado. They are banned in several communities here. Sorry you're having problems renting, but it's understandable considering the circumstances. I bet if you didn't have that breed of dog, you could find a rental in a heartbeat. JCY

This quote right here is why I have trouble renting a place....

Hulamoon
April 15th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Since the story is gone I can only guess. I have been on a puppy hunt and was concedering a pit. I just saw a girl jogging down our street today with one. Most dogs here are mutts. What happened?

BellasQuilts
April 15th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately it is not you or your dog that is the issue. It is the issue of others that have trained certain breeds to be aggressive and that have received notoriety. Here in California it is difficult to find any place if you have a pet of any kind. I'm sorry you are having difficulties. Praying you will find a special place for you and your pup.

Kgrammiecaz
April 15th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Thats really sad. I do not agree with the banning of a breed. You had insurance so there should have been no issue. As a renter, if anything happened it would fall back on you as the owner. This is a right landlord out there, and you will find the perfect place. The other landlords just gave a great tenant. Their loss. My daughter had Rhodesian Ridgebacks and her home insurance will not cover them. Crazy stupid rules. Our animals are our babies. They are meant to be loved.

auntiemern
April 15th, 2014, 02:44 AM
Not sure what happened cuz it was all gone by the time I got here. Hang in there hun, the right place will come along.

dwil23
April 15th, 2014, 05:34 AM
I don't know the story either as I did not see it, but I agree that breed specific regulations are just wrong. We work with many rescue dogs - mostly pits or pit mixes and they are some of the sweetest dogs on earth. My DD's pit would scare you if you saw her and she is one of the most docile dogs you have ever met.

My son and DIL are having a hard time finding a place to rent because their mutt mix weighs over 30 lbs and she is so laid back you don't even know she is around.

It's just wrong.

Suzette
April 15th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Easy to read between the lines by the responses to your post that was deleted. This is BSL bs! (BSL for those who do not know is Breed Specific Legislation that is aimed at targeting and banning any breed that has a specific look - usually a pit bull type look.)

People need to educate themselves and not just go off the media's hysteria for bully breeds. Pit bulls, American Staffordshire terriers (often thought to be pit bulls) and other bully breeds are loving, smart and loyal. In the wrong hands or with poor training, sure they can be dangerous. So can your Golden Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Dalmatian, etc...

Please, please, please do not just spout received knowledge on this subject, (which is almost always wrong and biased against these breeds) but educate yourself and learn the dangers and pitfalls of supporting BSL. We recently moved, but on my old street (in an upscale neighborhood) we became friends with our mailman and one day he mentioned that in our neighborhood there were lots of dogs, rotties, pitbulls and a german shepherd among them, but which one was he actually nervous about? A Golden Retriever than happened to live right next door to us. She was mean because she was poorly socialized as a pup and not trained well as an adult. It was the only house in the neighborhood where he would not even go up to their door. They had to come out to his mail truck if he had something for them that wouldn't fit in their mailbox.

I say this to point out that you could apply the same BSL bs to retrievers based on this event. You could say, well, THIS retriever is dangerous, maybe that ALL are. Hey, let's ban them!

Let's not ban breeds, but educate owners. People get puppies because they are "cute" and they want a companion. And that's fine, but many don't seem to get that dogs (especially puppies) are lots and lots of work, too. Dogs need attention. They need two walks a day to keep them physically fit, they need regular training to keep them mentally fit and lots of positive socializing as puppies to make them safe, welcomed members of human society. In the right hands with the right training, pitbulls, Staffies, dobies, etc. are just as safe, smart and loving as any other breed. That is the truth, not the panicked hype of BSL.

buckeyequilter
April 15th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Didn't see your original post but I'm sorry this has happened to you. Our dogs (German shepherd and Lab/Border Collie) are not just dogs...they are family and are treated as such. I'm sure you will find something soon.

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Easy to read between the lines by the responses to your post that was deleted. This is BSL bs! (BSL for those who do not know is Breed Specific Legislation that is aimed at targeting and banning any breed that has a specific look - usually a pit bull type look.)

People need to educate themselves and not just go off the media's hysteria for bully breeds. Pit bulls, American Staffordshire terriers (often thought to be pit bulls) and other bully breeds are loving, smart and loyal. In the wrong hands or with poor training, sure they can be dangerous. So can your Golden Retriever, Cocker Spaniel, Dalmatian, etc...

Please, please, please do not just spout received knowledge on this subject, (which is almost always wrong and biased against these breeds) but educate yourself and learn the dangers and pitfalls of supporting BSL. We recently moved, but on my old street (in an upscale neighborhood) we became friends with our mailman and one day he mentioned that in our neighborhood there were lots of dogs, rotties, pitbulls and a german shepherd among them, but which one was he actually nervous about? A Golden Retriever than happened to live right next door to us. She was mean because she was poorly socialized as a pup and not trained well as an adult. It was the only house in the neighborhood where he would not even go up to their door. They had to come out to his mail truck if he had something for them that wouldn't fit in their mailbox.

I say this to point out that you could apply the same BSL bs to retrievers based on this event. You could say, well, THIS retriever is dangerous, maybe that ALL are. Hey, let's ban them!

Let's not ban breeds, but educate owners. People get puppies because they are "cute" and they want a companion. And that's fine, but many don't seem to get that dogs (especially puppies) are lots and lots of work, too. Dogs need attention. They need two walks a day to keep them physically fit, they need regular training to keep them mentally fit and lots of positive socializing as puppies to make them safe, welcomed members of human society. In the right hands with the right training, pitbulls, Staffies, dobies, etc. are just as safe, smart and loving as any other breed. That is the truth, not the panicked hype of BSL.

Thanks, Suzette! You understand, sweetie! That's the kind of encouragement and lift I needed! It has hurt that as a responsible dog owner, I was forced to be considered as the large percentage of the stupid that shouldn't own dogs!
The reason BSL exists...is ignorance; it is uneducated and it is wrong! I do not believe my family should be labeled or denied just because there are those who have failed.

Vonnie
April 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I just did a google image on amstaff breed. They are gorgeous dogs!

I also think each dog should be judged on it's own.

I won't own a cat because I have been bitten or scratched too many times. But I don't begrudge any one else owning cats.

Ahamblin
April 15th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this. I am a Doberman owner and have been since 1972 and I know all about BSL and the damage caused by uneducated people passing laws. The Doberman was used extensively during WWII in the Pacific and saved thousands of lives yet people now say they are dangerous. The AKC, DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America and numerous other breed parent clubs fight this on a daily basis. The saying is "Ban the Deed, Not the Breed". I am not sure where you are moving to. It is against the law in New York State for municipalities to pass breed specific legislation. However, property owners (apartment complexes, rentals, etc.) can set their own rules. My son had an easier time finding a rental with his pit/mix from a private owner. Good luck in your search.
Also, State Farm Insurance does not refuse coverage based on dog breeds.

Vonnie
April 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this. I am a Doberman owner and have been since 1972 and I know all about BSL and the damage caused by uneducated people passing laws. The Doberman was used extensively during WWII in the Pacific and saved thousands of lives yet people now say they are dangerous. The AKC, DPCA (Doberman Pinscher Club of America and numerous other breed parent clubs fight this on a daily basis. The saying is "Ban the Deed, Not the Breed". I am not sure where you are moving to. It is against the law in New York State for municipalities to pass breed specific legislation. However, property owners (apartment complexes, rentals, etc.) can set their own rules. My son had an easier time finding a rental with his pit/mix from a private owner. Good luck in your search.
Also, State Farm Insurance does not refuse coverage based on dog breeds.

When my oldest brother met his wife, she was a proud owner of a very large doberman who was a therapy dog. Rachel was the size of a great dane but was one of the sweetest dogs I have ever met. Sadly she died at 11 but she died doing something she really loved. My brother was playing Frisbee with her. I guess the large breed dogs do not live as long as the smaller breeds. I never even knew they bred them that large. But, it was really funny watching her trying to come in through the cat door. They had 5 cats and Rachel only wanted to play with them.

kensington
April 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM
I think what is being missed here is that despite her offering to carry insurance for damages, that does not cover the owner of the home if someone sues if something happens. I believe this is why the landlord decided not to rent. HE can also be sued if anything happens.

Everyone says to educate owners, except you cannot force dog owners to do the right thing, the increased amount of children being hurt by these breeds is evidence of that. Ignorant people can't be helped and there is no way for this landlord cover himself in the event that any dog attacks someone. Dogs attack, it's going to happen, but most dogs do not to the damage that these dogs can do.

I wish there was a way to keep animals out of the hands of ignorant people, but until there is, people are going to be breed suspicious.

Ahamblin
April 15th, 2014, 04:38 PM
I certainly don't want to sidetrack this thread or start a large debate. The owners of the property did have options regarding their liability if they wanted. The sad thing is that if this couple had a Lab I bet there would not have been a problem. Now the scary thing - in a report prepared for the State of Colorado June 2008 - June 2009 by Corona Research, Inc. showed that the largest number of reported bites by breed for that time frame was Labs (13.3%) Pit Bulls (8.4%) and German Shepherds (7.9%). The highest percentages of bites to children occurred in their own home by the family dog but I have never seen legislation supporting the banning of Labs. Denver also discovered that the number of reported dog bites did not go down after the ban on Pit Bulls went into effect.

Dogs don't attack - some dogs may attack. And any dog or cat can cause damage, no matter the size especially to a small child.

WendyI
April 15th, 2014, 04:43 PM
BSL makes me so ANGRY!! All it takes is a few idiots to mis-handle a breed and the breed gets blamed! It is NEVER the dog, it is ALWAYS the owner! I can guess what is happening from posts and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Can we see a pic of your baby? It's SO unfair...why do we as a society punish the many for the actions of the few and make the many unhappy!? WHEN will this backwards way of thinking EVER change?! So, so sad.

WendyI
April 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
I certainly don't want to sidetrack this thread or start a large debate. The owners of the property did have options regarding their liability if they wanted. The sad thing is that if this couple had a Lab I bet there would not have been a problem. Now the scary thing - in a report prepared for the State of Colorado June 2008 - June 2009 by Corona Research, Inc. showed that the largest number of reported bites by breed for that time frame was Labs (13.3%) Pit Bulls (8.4%) and German Shepherds (7.9%).

Statistics of this kind are always skewed because when you look at the numbers of dog breeds owned by people, the dogs that have the highest rates of bite statistics are the breeds that are most commonly owned by the general population. So of course there are going to be more dog bites by those breeds of dogs! It's just wrong to target a specific breed. More investigation into the owners of dogs that bite is required and their knowledge base on how to train their dog so that it will not bite or be aware of signs that a bite is imminent. My border collie LOVES children and people...but he gets nervous in large groups of children...he gives a small growl and I know that it's time to diffuse the situation. It's MY responsibility as the owner to control my dog, no matter the breed. Targeting a specific breed is just plain wrong.

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 05:03 PM
BSL makes me so ANGRY!! All it takes is a few idiots to mis-handle a breed and the breed gets blamed! It is NEVER the dog, it is ALWAYS the owner! I can guess what is happening from posts and I'm so sorry you are going through this. Can we see a pic of your baby? It's SO unfair...why do we as a society punish the many for the actions of the few and make the many unhappy!? WHEN will this backwards way of thinking EVER change?! So, so sad.

Here she is....

Kgrammiecaz
April 15th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Om my gosh. She is so cute. That face is to love.

shermur
April 15th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Karen...I do love her...she has been unconditional love since I started my anxiety attacks and menopause...my life would not be complete without Dottie!

Hulamoon
April 15th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Here she is....

She looks vicious. lol She's a cutie.

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2014, 05:34 PM
She is adorable!!!

Ahamblin
April 15th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Here she is....

What a sweet face. She looks like a love.

Hawaii Roxy
April 15th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Sweet dog! Why was the original post deleted? because of a few ignorant people who dont know anything give their uneducated opinions? Dont give up keep looking and keep loving your fur baby.

mommadeb
April 15th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Dottie is a dolly!

I agree that BSL is hooey. Worst dogs I've ever been around? A Jack Russell terrier (mean as hell) and an evil Chihuahua (sp?). Dog that bit the most that we owned? A black lab. (BUT, I blame that on the fact that my ex beat it in the face when it wouldn't listen. Perfect example of ignorance. I never saw it happen but he told me and I flipped out on my ex about it.) When it was 5 years old, it bit my daughter in the face. Her and I and the dog were laying on the floor watching TV, nothing else. It just turned and nailed her. 5 stitches. I had the dog put to sleep a week later. Here is a pic of my grandkids and their American Staffordshire/pit. Trip is a meathead but he's a good dog and been properly and consistently trained. The parents never leave him alone with the kids though. He's well loved. He thinks he's a lap dog most of the time.

tennesseesews
April 15th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Several years ago, Michael Vick (football player) was convicted of using pit bulls for fighting. The dogs were reportedly very abused. The initial court order for the dogs that were seized from Vicks was they were to be put down. Bes Friends stepped in and the dogs were allowed to be placed with their organization. These dogs had been treated horribly. With years of rehabilitation and strenuous testing; most of these dogs have now been placed in loving homes. It is the owners and irresponsible people passing on incorrect information that is the problem; not the breed!!!

Hulamoon
April 15th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Dottie is a dolly!

I agree that BSL is hooey. Worst dogs I've ever been around? A Jack Russell terrier (mean as hell)

I had one these and he was terrible! He attacked a horse while a girl was riding him! Then when we took him to the beach he would run like a couple of blocks worth to chase a dog. We had to start leasing him after that and be real careful when we were throwing sticks in the water that no one was around.

He was so sweet as a puppy but just got out of hand. He mellowed with age and I had to put him down at 14 yrs. I would never get that breed again.