PDA

View Full Version : I Finished a Day Early!

K. McEuen
April 14th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Yep, we all know what tomorrow is (cue evil sounding music ... dum de dum dummmmm) Tax Day!

I have been a tax procrastinator for the past 20 years or so, ever since the very first time I owed them money. I was usually done with my taxes by mid-January at the latest, until that dreaded year. I did all the forms and what not and found out I owed! I was ticked! I kept my tax forms and check until late evening of April 15th and mailed it out then. Funny thing is, all I owed was $100.00. I think the most I've ever had to send the feds since then was $1666.00.

Anyway, I just finished the taxes a little while ago. My daughter is getting almost $1500.00 back in combined federal and state taxes. My hubby and I are actually getting a federal refund this year!!! Hold on to your hats - a whopping $33.00!!! Haha, of course we owe the state $70.00 and turbo tax cost me $120.00 this year. Still, all in all that's not bad for us. Just glad I don't have to send them as much as my daughter is getting back, it's happened that way before too ...

Jean Sewing Machine
April 14th, 2014, 10:31 PM
Today is my daughter's birthday. My dad came into the recovery room after she was born, looked at both of us to check out that we were OK and said, Goodbye, I have to go home to do my taxes! Luckily, my hubby and I already had ours done!

K. McEuen
April 14th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Today is my daughter's birthday. My dad came into the recovery room after she was born, looked at both of us to check out that we were OK and said, Goodbye, I have to go home to do my taxes! Luckily, my hubby and I already had ours done!

Hehe, at least he put you and the grandbaby first!

If the IRS would send us a charm pack or two it might be easier sending them money ...

asta
April 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Today is my DH birthday and our tradition used to be...dinner out then stop by post office to mail taxes (we try to plan so we pretty much break even, no big payments or refunds) but now with e-filing the tradition is no longer happening.:icon_sniff:

Sharyn J
April 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM
LOL Karen. What's the rush? You still have lots of hours til the dum de dum dum music. I just finished ours yesterday not because I didn't want to do them. I was just too lazy to go out and get ink for my printer. Only getting a small return; not much to put away for a new sewing machine, but better than paying.

ilive2craft2
April 14th, 2014, 10:41 PM
DH finished ours tonight - I am working on my mom's - should be finished within the next hour or so... :)

Judy, USMC
April 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
If I know I'm getting a refund I ALWAYS submit early ...... but when I have to pay I like to hold on to my money as long as I can. I love it the years when the 15th falls on a Sunday and I get an extra day to pay.

WendyI
April 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Yuk! Thankfully the accountant at Scott's work does ours every year. All I have to do is get it to him and then Scott takes him out for lunch as payment. I despise taxes! Makes me ill to see how much I pay in and how we STILL owe at the end of the year.

bubba
April 14th, 2014, 10:58 PM
We get to pay $200 this year....guess I better send it off tomorrow!

MRoy
April 14th, 2014, 11:02 PM
We filed our taxes this past Saturday. Our tax preparer sold the business and we had a new tax person after 30+ years...the jury is still out on whether we'll keep using her.

Mpyles
April 14th, 2014, 11:12 PM
I owe I owe...just gripes my soul! DS owes 1500.00...he is despondent....as this will wipe out his nest egg....he is considered an independent contractor...and wasn't putting money aside...and since I still claim him...because he's I college and I'm paying. It irks the heck out of me that I have to pay room and board for dd and cannot take any of that off....but if I want to buy a vacation home I can take the interest....oh lord,,,gettin wound up....better to just move on

Kgrammiecaz
April 14th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Been filing single now for 2 years. My refund dropped from well over a thousand to now under a thousand. I guess I do not make enough to owe. So I am thinking I would love to make a lot more money, than I think I could deal with having to pay a bit. Having a lower salary and getting back several hundred is definetly not better. Lol

My middle daughter was born tax day, 37 years ago. We still call her our tax baby.

K. McEuen
April 14th, 2014, 11:19 PM
I owe I owe...just gripes my soul! DS owes 1500.00...he is despondent....as this will wipe out his nest egg....he is considered an independent contractor.

Yep, I understand that completely. I get paid as an independent contractor too. It's a pain sometimes trying to keep up with and figure everything out.

Mpyles
April 14th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Yep, I understand that completely. I get paid as an independent contractor too. It's a pain sometimes trying to keep up with and figure everything out.
Ya Karen, it really is...and really he isn't an independent contractor when they require him there at a certain time, determine his duties while there, and he can't leave until everyone is done. That's considered a job and it's just this companies way of getting out of paying taxes...I heard they were being investigated.....so maybe he will get some of it back!

Mpyles
April 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM
The other thing I really have a problem with...and please I do not intend to offend anyone with this statement...just my feelings on the situation...is earned income credit....how as a government do we give someone a refund of more money then they paid in??? That just doesn't make sense!

Gina
April 14th, 2014, 11:28 PM
We filed back in mid March and had our refund in 7 days. We always overpay but we like it that way. Usually pays for our summer vacation to the beach! :)

K. McEuen
April 14th, 2014, 11:33 PM
The other thing I really have a problem with...and please I do not intend to offend anyone with this statement...just my feelings on the situation...is earned income credit....how as a government do we give someone a refund of more money then they paid in??? That just doesn't make sense!

I never quite understood the EIC either. I knew people that were getting it that shouldn't have been. The IRS sent it to me for 3 years and each time I called them and said "I filled it out correctly and I don't qualify". They insisted I did and sent me money. After the third year, I guess someone finally listened to my reasons for not qualifying and they changed part of the "who qualifies" description. I know a lot of people were mad about that one.

But really Mary, it's senseless trying to make sense of the government. ;)

Kgrammiecaz
April 14th, 2014, 11:41 PM

Mary, another way to look at it is if that person chose not to work (which they legally can) because they have children, they would than collect state and/or federal assistance which is signifcantly more than providing EIC. By providing single parents with EIC, they are able to work and pay for daycare. Had I not received EIC or if my daughter was not receiving EIC, we would never have been able to work and have enough to live on and pay daycare. Remember too, your taxable income has to be extremely low in order to qualify. So trust me, those who collect EIC would rather be paid more for the job they have. Having this allowed my daughter to complete her college credits and will very hopefully ve making enough very soonto be able to be off EIC

By the way, No offense taken here. I get that folks have different thoughts and feelings of this type of issue. We would be pretty bori g people if we were all the same.

ilive2craft2
April 14th, 2014, 11:49 PM
I think I am finished with mom's - dh is now looking them over. He has always done our taxes, so this is new territory for me. Last year, my brother and I did Mom's together.....

Mpyles
April 14th, 2014, 11:53 PM
I think the problem I have with it is you qualify for it even without children....i get many really do earn it...but others do not. Did I mention I was in favor of drug testing welfare recipients...haha...got me on a roll here...

Mpyles
April 14th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I never quite understood the EIC either. I knew people that were getting it that shouldn't have been. The IRS sent it to me for 3 years and each time I called them and said "I filled it out correctly and I don't qualify". They insisted I did and sent me money. After the third year, I guess someone finally listened to my reasons for not qualifying and they changed part of the "who qualifies" description. I know a lot of people were mad about that one.

But really Mary, it's senseless trying to make sense of the government. ;)

Amen sister!!

Kgrammiecaz
April 14th, 2014, 11:58 PM
I think the problem I have with it is you qualify for it even without children....i get many really do earn it...but others do not. Did I mention I was in favor of drug testing welfare recipients...haha...got me on a roll here...

Ok, I agree on both those areas. Unless you have a disability holding you back from working and taking care of yourself, there should not be that type of assistance. And drug testing - for sure. If you can afford drugs, you do not need assistance!

I am bad too, I could totally have great discussions on these type subjects. I take no offense because we all have our u derstanding, thoughts and opinions to share. Its always good to hear the other sides

BobW
April 15th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Well as a semi-retired tax preparer I have all my extensions filed. I have three corporate returns on extension and seven personal returns on extension. I hope we can get them done early this year, so that I'm done with it. I have done taxes since the mid 1980's. I have worked in CPA firms and had my own firm. I work from home now and only with the clients I want to deal with. A lot of the people I do their returns for now I have done for 15+ years.

Hope everyone is done and the return is filed.

sidesaddles
April 15th, 2014, 12:19 AM
I work for the Post Office. I get to see all the sour faces and here all the IRS jokes and @#$$%%^. :)

snippet
April 15th, 2014, 12:57 AM
oh dear. That reminds me. I haven't done mine yet!

ilive2craft2
April 15th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Started putting everything away after copying the form in pen and found a 1099 that I had forgotten. Corrected the penciled copy and then made a new ink copy - luckily it makes for a bigger refund and not that she now owed. Now redoing the state forms, but taking a quick forum break. :)

auntiemern
April 15th, 2014, 03:05 AM
Did ours and DD's before the end of January. Her refund is in the bank still (for the most part)...mine is long gone, lol.

snippet
April 16th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Ok, I finally got down to doing my taxes. Started at 11:45pm and just now finished. I screwed up once and had to start over. TurboTax makes it easy to do. I'm getting money back, so no penalty for me for filing late. :) Next year I'll do better and get it done in February.

HandsomeRyan
April 16th, 2014, 07:55 AM
We have always had to pay (about $400 this year but as much as $1500 at times). I think maybe next year we will break even because of the deductions we can take for the baby.