PDA

View Full Version : Sad Sad day In Middleburg, Florida . .

CountryHut
April 14th, 2014, 09:26 PM
-- the new owners of -- Slim Whitman's Estate torn down his home . .

73425 - 73426

- here's a YT video of what it use to look like

Slim Whitman Home & Florida Estate - YouTube (http://youtu.be/pK_eKU_JXgw)

*sniffles*~ . . . now our neighborhood legend is really gone

BobW
April 14th, 2014, 09:59 PM
It's always sad when a landmark in our community is demolished. Do you know what they are building in its place?

CountryHut
April 14th, 2014, 10:11 PM
sure don't Bob . . we didn't know they were going to demo the house . . . -- the house had been empty for the last 10 months - since Slim passed away last June . . . we didn't think his son would sell the place -
I left to run errands this morning - the house was there -- coming home - poof gone . .
i'm wondering if the new owners will leave the --- Woodpecker Paradice --- arch over the driveway

Sandy Navas
April 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Even sadder that Slim is gone - loved his music so much!!

WendyI
April 14th, 2014, 10:58 PM
That's so tragic!

Genny
April 15th, 2014, 02:05 AM
I was amazed at the height of the trees...

auntiemern
April 15th, 2014, 02:38 AM
So sad...I was surprised that it was such a modest estate.

dwil23
April 15th, 2014, 05:23 AM
We live in a disposable society - nothing has any long term worth anymore.

Sad.

CountryHut
April 15th, 2014, 06:01 AM
. . at one time -- this whole area use to be a pulpwood farm . . . the new owners might have those pine tree taken down -
I had noticed tha the area around the Pecan trees had been cultivated -- if you had noticed in the video -- at the very end
there was a little house that sat off to the side and back from the main house -- Slim grow up in that house -- he had it moved to his property and sat empty all these years . . .

I was amazed at the height of the trees...

levikennell
December 11th, 2014, 12:53 AM
sure don't Bob . . we didn't know they were going to demo the house . . . -- the house had been empty for the last 10 months - since Slim passed away last June . . . we didn't think his son would sell the place -
I left to run errands this morning - the house was there -- coming home - poof gone . .
i'm wondering if the new owners will leave the --- Woodpecker Paradice --- arch over the driveway

Is there any way any one on here can find out if the sign is still above the drive way?

GuitarGramma
December 11th, 2014, 01:05 AM
That's so sad. I'm amazed that the house hadn't been declared a landmark of some sort and preserved.

Our church property has a run down old house that belonged to absolutely nobody famous, and the house has been declared a historic landmark. Our church is required to keep the house. We surrounded it with chain link fence so that no one will go exploring. If they did, the floor would surely give way and someone would be seriously hurt. If this run down eyesore must be preserved, you'd think Slim Whitman's house would be.

So sad.

dwil23
December 11th, 2014, 01:19 AM
That's so sad. I'm amazed that the house hadn't been declared a landmark of some sort and preserved.

Our church property has a run down old house that belonged to absolutely nobody famous, and the house has been declared a historic landmark. Our church is required to keep the house. We surrounded it with chain link fence so that no one will go exploring. If they did, the floor would surely give way and someone would be seriously hurt. If this run down eyesore must be preserved, you'd think Slim Whitman's house would be.

So sad.

It was in the paper here this week that the Belleview Biltmore Hotel in Safety Harbor, which is a historic landmark is being razed by the new owner.

GuitarGramma
December 11th, 2014, 04:37 AM
It was in the paper here this week that the Belleview Biltmore Hotel in Safety Harbor, which is a historic landmark is being razed by the new owner.
Aw, that's terribly sad, too. I thought that being declared historical, protected buildings. Maybe the laws on that are different from state to state.

Terri
December 11th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I can relate, in a very personal way. My childhood home....in no way a historical landmark or lived in by anyone famous. Was completely torn down by new owners back in September. My parents moved to Naples, FL in 1958. Bought the little house in April of 1960 (I believe), I was born September 1961. It was one of very few on a double lot. Modest two bedroom, one bath, living room, & kitchen. They eventually closed in the carport to add a third bedroom. Mom & Dad sold the house in 1997 because yard work & general upkeep became too much and they bought a condo. Those owners let the property go downhill fast. :( My younger sister sent me pics of the empty lot(s) back in September while we were on vacation, I sat and cried like a baby. That house was where all of my childhood memories were and my sisters too. While our older sister & brother who only spent 4 yrs & 8 yrs, respectively in that house had their childhood memories in a house back in Ohio. Now they are building TWO very grand and very expensive houses on that double lot. My sis says they are so close together that you could sneeze at the window of one house and the neighbors would feel the effects in the house next door! eeeewwwww!!! Memories.....famous or not....it still hurts & makes those involved very sad.

GlendaM
December 11th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Awwwww, this so so sad! :(

CountryHut
December 11th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Yep -- Woodpecker Paradise is still over the driveway

Is there any way any one on here can find out if the sign is still above the drive way?

CountryHut
December 11th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Slim Whitman left the property to his son and daughter -- the daughter purchased her brothers half - now her property and Slim's property are as one . . from the neighborhood chit chat -- Slim stated in his will that the houses were to be torn down - he did not want his home to be a museum . .

I wonder what happened to all his cars and motor home

the daughter did put Holiday bows/ribbons on the double gates under the Woodpecker Paradise archway