PDA

View Full Version : Sad Conversation With Old HS Classmate

Elliegirl
April 13th, 2014, 06:22 PM
A bunch of us from our class are planning a reunion in June. Facebook has been wonderful for locating people. Our school was very small, 60 girls in our class, and closed three years after we graduated. We've had all-school reunions but never our own class. Anyway, I tracked down one girl on Facebook, found out she lives about 90 miles from me. I offered that if she could get to my place we could drive to our reunion together, about a 4 hour drive. She said to call her because she's in a wheelchair. We're 61-62 years old, still have a lot of life in us. This poor woman moved to where she lives now in 2006 with her job. Shortly after she moved there she started becoming sick and finally went to the university ER. She was diagnosed with Neuromyelitis optica, or it's called Devic's disease. It's in the same family of diseases as MS. She is paralyzed from the waist down, on total disability, never married, lives with a sister. She said she stays in bed most of the time because she can't afford to have someone come in and stay with her full time to help her move in/out of bed. She's only 61-62 years old and completely bedridden!

I have health issues, very severe asthma and allergies, just had disc surgery in January, have had two knee replacements and am going to a cardiologist April 30 for irregular heart rate. But I am so blessed to be able to come/go as I want. Yea, we've already turned on the AC because the pollens are so bad. But if I want to go, I go. I can do pretty much whatever I want, with a few lifting and bending limitations. DH takes care of that part! I just feel blazed and thankful!

WendyI
April 13th, 2014, 07:16 PM
That is very sad. I am bad for taking my health for granted and dwelling on what is wrong instead of being thankful for what go have and how fortunate I am. I'm trying to change this way of thinking. Hearing storiesike this sure makes me mad at myself for thinking this way. Makes you appreciate what you DO have.

MayinJerset
April 13th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Such a sad story about your old high school friend. You have the right attitude - if you want to go somewhere you find a way to do it. So glad at 78 I can get around, slowly and sometimes I need help but I get there and get it done. Yesterday I drove 90 miles round trip to help run a Pillowcase Sew In at a LQS that has been very generous with fabrics and use of their workroom. When I arrived at the LQS I loaded my machine, sewing supplies, lunch and my Pillowcase notebook into the folding shopping cart I keep in the car's trunk and just wheeled everything inside. I was kind of pooped out when I got home but mostly because the drive was stressful because of heavy traffic and road construction that resulted in many shifts to very narrow traffic lanes. Today DH drove about 20 miles from here and we met DS#2 and DIL for lunch at Longhorns and we actually found a handicap space! Keep on truckin' Ellie!

Kgrammiecaz
April 13th, 2014, 09:06 PM
It was really wonderful of you to offer to take her, it will do her good. She needs to make her friend circle bigger so they can all take turns getting her out of the house.

It would be great if there was a place around like an adult center that could pick her up and take her home just so she can hang out some days with a group of people.

Have fun at he reunion

alliek
April 13th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Prayers for her, It breaks your heart. At 61 or 62, too young to be bedridden because there is no one to help her out. Has she really researched all the community services? Called the local hospital and asked? Or the MS organization? Maybe you could do this for her. A lot to ask I know. Blessings to all. I go every day, even if my knees are in bad shape. Got to keep going. :icon_mooooh::icon_mooooh:

Dollyquilts
April 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM
My friend was a quadriplegic. In Texas we have an organization called TIRR, Texas Institute of Rehabilitation and Research. They provided many services and provided her wheelchairs and specially equipped vehicles. She had an aide who came in and got her out of bed and into her chair each day. Maybe there is some organization that could provide some help for your friend. I don't move around that well myself because I need two hip replacements. I need to get that done so I can go to the quilt expos. I can't walk very long or stand because of the pain. I really feel for your friend.