PDA

View Full Version : Funny or Mean?

HandsomeRyan
April 13th, 2014, 03:23 PM
My older brother and his wife are expecting a daughter this summer (my mom's second grandbaby after Sawyer). We already made them what is probably my favorite quilt (http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/show-tell/33707-double-hour-glass-quilted-binding-pending.html) I've made to date.

Now I want to make them some customized burp cloths out of cloth diapers (If you don't know what I'm talking about check pinterest for the 10,000 different ways to do this). I wanted to applique the initials onto them but my brother is being really weird about sharing the name. I know they have picked it out but they are "reserving the right to change their mind" which is double-speak for "we picked a non-traditional name and don't want you to try to talk us out of it". Since I don't have a name, monogramming is going to be difficult.

Solution:

My plan is to make a 3 burp cloth set in a fancy cloth bag with appliques of a letter C (the baby's last name will be Cooper), a girl stick figure, and a question mark.

So- is going to all the trouble to applique a question mark on the third cloth good natured fun or is it mean?

I would say my borther and I have a pretty good relationship. I think we have always been competitive because he was always very good in school while I was, at best, a C student but I always had "real world" skills like sewing or rebuilding a carburetor while he was more of a virtual problems computers guy (He works for Microsoft now). I think it is cute and all in good fun but I wanted some other opinions before I move forward.

The fabric I bought to make the carrying bag for the burp cloths is Virginia Tech fabric from my LQS. My brother has a bachelors and masters from VT and he is a huge fan of the school.

songbird857
April 13th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Brothers are brothers and there is nothing wrong with poking some fun but I would take into consideration how the mom would react (hormonal and all... :) ) - You could just wait until after the baby is born if you want to put the name on the burp cloths; or possibly just ask for the first initial and put the baby's initials on them :)

vchale
April 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I have four brothers so I know what teasing is all about. I think if I were going to take the effort to stitch on them I would either just do something girly or wait till you find out the name. You have something to give even before the baby comes and you could take the others with you the first time you visit cause you should know her name by then.

asta
April 13th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Sounds like a good natured joke. I'll have to keep this in mind for when we finally get the announcement that our DD is expecting (hopefully soon), already know they will be keeping the name secret.

Kgrammiecaz
April 13th, 2014, 04:21 PM
I love the idea of the question mark. How fun it will be to have a funny story to tell the little one years from now when she wants to know why a question mark. As long as it is given appropriately maybe with a funny card, I think it sounds fun. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters, so I surely know what its like to make life fun. My brothers are a hoot

Hulamoon
April 13th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I think it sounds fun. I made some fun burp cloths that had a spit up embroidery on them. It went over really well. lol

Marta
April 13th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I am all for not telling baby's name before it is born and cetificate signed. Seems like there is always someone who wont agree with the name you pick. Would not embroider question marks. Might do them on a card to go with gift. We ladies can be very emotional while pregnant or postpartum. Hope the cousins grow to be great friends.

Judy, USMC
April 13th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I'm with Songbird on this. There are more people involved than just you and your brother and my not get the ribbing.

IF it were me I'd gift the gorgeous quilt and include a card addressed to "Miss ? Cooper" with a note saying something like:
"Your Daddy wouldn't let me know your name until they were able to hold you! So you will get another present with your initials on them as soon as you make it into their arms. Love you already ... get here soon!"

Or if you aren't giving them the quilt in advance of the birth just MAIL the card now.

That way the story is on record; you have your question mark; no feelings offended; and can be saved in her baby book (if they still do those things now......)

Wwena
April 13th, 2014, 05:31 PM
When in doubt, don't do it. :)

Marty
April 13th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I agree with Wwena. When in doubt don't. I have a large brood of kids and we never shared name or sex with anyone. Be creative in a different way. You have a lifetime to monogram.

pcbatiks
April 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Maybe you could make one burp cloth with "Sawyer's Favorite Cousin" just for fun. :)

bhaggerty
April 13th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Agree with the others!
Would opt for "sugar and spice and everything nice"
That's what little girls are made of

Postpartum moms do not take good natured jokes well....

Sandy Navas
April 13th, 2014, 06:20 PM
And don't even think about taking a picture of her in a cooking pan . . .

kensington
April 13th, 2014, 06:25 PM
A lot of people don't share the name with anyone when they are expecting because they don't want someone they know who might be expecting to take it.

Also, this was also your sister in law's decision. She may see this as you not respecting her wishes for her child with her husband.

I'd let him have this, it's his child. Burp clothes can be made after the baby comes.

Vonnie
April 13th, 2014, 07:12 PM
In this day and age is there any chance the doctor/tests might be wrong and they have a son instead?

Or they might think it's bad luck to let everyone know ahead of time. Or, they might take one look at the baby and decide on another name.

I like the cute sayings posted above. Sawyer's favorite cousin and the sugar and spice one. You could come up with some more like Princess Cooper. Sawyer is known as mini Cooper. Are there any other types of Coopers?

Lilly
April 13th, 2014, 07:13 PM
When in doubt, don't do it. :)
Funny - my sentiments as well; When in doubt err on the side of kindness - it's never in bad taste.

WendyI
April 13th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Personally I think it's funny but not many share my sense of humor. Lol. If you have to ask then you should probably not do it tho.

HandsomeRyan
April 13th, 2014, 07:18 PM
And don't even think about taking a picture of her in a cooking pan . . .

For those of you scratching your heads... Our friends had me babysit their baby Jackson [before Sawyer was born] and I sent this picture to the mom about half an hour after they left him in my care...
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/photobucket-11653-1374936691405_zps408c8c07.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/photobucket-11653-1374936691405_zps408c8c07.jpg.html)

whimpysue
April 13th, 2014, 07:27 PM
My nephew and his girlfriend kept the name of their daughter a secret...my sister always called the baby "Baby Q" for question mark...they ended up changing her name to Quinn and we still call her Baby Q :) I would wait until she is here, because as someone posted before me...you never know how the mom will interpret it. (Very cute idea tho!)
Wendy

MayinJerset
April 13th, 2014, 08:14 PM
When in doubt, don't do it. :) I agree, too many people's emotions involved, plus last baby that was predicted to be a girl surprised everyone by being a boy

Since you are using VT fabric maybe a VT applique would solve the problem.

KathieB
April 13th, 2014, 08:33 PM
My youngest daughter had her first on New Years Eve. I wanted to bring the baby's Christmas stocking to AZ in case he was born early but she wouldn't tell us his name. Turns out they had chosen 5 names and were waiting to meet their son to decide which fit him best. Final decision was the only unusual name: "Quinten Nolan C_____" , also known "Q"

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Nope! Wouldn't go that route. I agree with just asking for the initial. Tell them you're making something for the baby and if you could have the initial you could get started on it. If they won't give you the initial I would come up with something else to place on the bibs or wait until the baby is born. If you're using an embroidery machine it certainly wouldn't take much time to do it once she arrives. At least you know the sex of the baby? That leaves lots of options open for other ideas for embellishing.

WendyI
April 14th, 2014, 11:35 AM
For those of you scratching your heads... Our friends had me babysit their baby Jackson [before Sawyer was born] and I sent this picture to the mom about half an hour after they left him in my care...

OMG! HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I LOVE IT!!

EmmaB
April 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Bahahahahahaha!!!

You post some of the funniest pics Ryan!!

IBake
April 14th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Being a Hokie Mom myself, DS got his BA, DIL got her MA and PhD from Tech., you could maybe do something in the Hokie tradition? You know how rabid Hokies are......

BobW
April 14th, 2014, 03:49 PM
My youngest daughter had her first on New Years Eve. I wanted to bring the baby's Christmas stocking to AZ in case he was born early but she wouldn't tell us his name. Turns out they had chosen 5 names and were waiting to meet their son to decide which fit him best. Final decision was the only unusual name: "Quinten Nolan C_____" , also known "Q"

My dad is a Nolan. Most people want to spell it Noland. You don't hear many people with that name.

Ryan, I think you have a good idea and I see the humor in it. I also don't know your brother or SIL. I tend to go with the idea of if you wonder if you should or shouldn't, you probably shouldn't when it comes to a joke. Just MHO.

Miss Sheri
April 14th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I would stick to. "Princess", "Little Miss Cooper", Butterflies, Lady bugs etc.

Peggi
April 15th, 2014, 01:42 AM
I agree with the idea of using just initials, if possible.

My experience:

While pregnant with our first child, I had two ultrasounds and both times the baby was declared a girl. My mother-in-law had a blast the day I gave birth, telling everyone her "granddaughter" was born with a birth defect - she had a penis!

While pregnant with our second child (who was unmistakeably male), we did wait to meet him before we named him. We had several names picked out, but after he was born one name suited him perfectly.

We have friends who have fraternal twin girls. They had names picked out before birth and named them as they were born. They're now 11, and EVERYONE gets their names mixed up because the blond child got the name that was better suited to the brunette child. It's the weirdest thing - even family members say they should have swapped the names.