PDA

View Full Version : Saw my wonderful doctor, and...

easyquilts
April 11th, 2014, 08:30 PM
I have neurogenic hypertension, which is fairly rare. It is caused by overstimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.

Dr. Betsy explained that because I have suffered a severe trauma, that my body reacts, even when I feel calm... My body knows that I really am nit calm.....even though I may think I am. Does any of this make sense?

Anyway, she put me on Clonidine HCL, which is specifically for my condition.... This is in addition to the Diovan and Ativan I already take.... If my BP gets too low, she will eliminate the Diovan.

I feel a lot better, now that I know I have a condition that can be successfully treated.

And... Dr. Betsy says it us OK to resume swimming and walking.... I was afraid to do anything the last couple of weeks.

Thanks to all of you for your concern..... No more diagnosing myself vis the Internet!

Pandabear
April 11th, 2014, 08:33 PM
I am so happy to hear you are doing well. I miss your ipadism :)

vchale
April 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Sure hope you get your medication sorted out. Sometimes it can take awhile. Glad you got to see your doctor. Take care of yourself!

MRoy
April 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling better Sandy. I know what you mean about your body knowing you're not as calm as you think you are. Take good care of yourself! (((HUGS)))

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 08:39 PM
relieved to hear that it wasn't a BP concern after all! NO MORE Dr. Google for you!

Bubby
April 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'm so glad you found out what's been ailing you. That's half the battle. Good luck with your new medication. Hugs....

Blondie
April 11th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Sandy, I am happy you saw the Dr. I did not say anything before now but here goes. When my precious Daddy passed three years ago, my Mom's BP went through the roof at night while she was sleeping and we were all unaware. She was taking her meds etc. correctly. What should have been our clue was her vision. She had at least one TIA from it which caused bleeding behind her retina. She has lost much vision due to that and is still receiving treatments to keep the occlusion at bay. They don't call BP the silent killer for nothing. The stress and loss you have experienced is great. My heart goes out to you. Take time to care for you and glad you are not going to be second guessing. Your body has a way of letting you know and obviously so many sisters here on M* gave you the nudge you needed because you are so important to our family here.
Blessings
Blondie

I have neurogenic hypertension, which is fairly rare. It is caused by overstimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.

Dr. Betsy explained that because I have suffered a severe trauma, that my body reacts, even when I feel calm... My body knows that I really am nit calm.....even though I may think I am. Does any of this make sense?

Anyway, she put me on Clonidine HCL, which is specifically for my condition.... This is in addition to the Diovan and Ativan I already take.... If my BP gets too low, she will eliminate the Diovan.

I feel a lot better, now that I know I have a condition that can be successfully treated.

And... Dr. Betsy says it us OK to resume swimming and walking.... I was afraid to do anything the last couple of weeks.

Thanks to all of you for your concern..... No more diagnosing myself vis the Internet!

Vonnie
April 11th, 2014, 10:06 PM
I'm happy for you. What a relief to know what's wrong.

I failed at self diagnosis a few years ago. I thought my GERD was flaring up again even though I was taking meds for it. Finally I went to my doctor and told him I needed a second opinion because I thought my opinion might be wrong! LOL He quietly sat and let me explain all my symptoms. He immediately ordered a bunch of tests for my gallbladder. Turned out I had gallbladder disease.

Mimis-quilts
April 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Sandy, so glad you got in to see your doctor and she was able to figure out what was going on. Just remember...hypertension is hypertension no matter the type. Please do not let this go so long if there is a next time. Take care!

Poppytree
April 11th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Glad you got a proper diagnosis and that your meds are being sorted - what a relief!

Blondie
April 11th, 2014, 10:22 PM
been there, done that. glad it is gone.

I'm happy for you. What a relief to know what's wrong.

I failed at self diagnosis a few years ago. I thought my GERD was flaring up again even though I was taking meds for it. Finally I went to my doctor and told him I needed a second opinion because I thought my opinion might be wrong! LOL He quietly sat and let me explain all my symptoms. He immediately ordered a bunch of tests for my gallbladder. Turned out I had gallbladder disease.

BobW
April 11th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Sandy I'm glad your doctor knows what is going on. You need to take care of yourself. And stay away from Dr. Google!

Slokarma
April 11th, 2014, 10:44 PM
So happy to hear you have a diagnosis and a plan to go forward. I was worried you were sent to the hospital.

ilive2craft2
April 11th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Glad to hear you have a diagnosis and a plan of action. Hope the meds work well for you. May still need adjustments in the future - my mom's end up being adjusted a few times a year.

auntiemern
April 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Glad to hear you got an answer from your real doctor. Now stay off the internet trying to self diagnose.

EmmaB
April 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
So glad you are feeling better!

bubba
April 13th, 2014, 06:29 PM
ipadism :)

A most excellent word!

alliek
April 13th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Yes! So happy you now can really rest your mind, Thankful you are receiving the correct meds. God Bless!