PDA

View Full Version : @ Jean - how is your ScanNCut going?

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I have been obsessing over this since you posted about it! I am such a tech junkie so this thing is like RIGHT up my alley. Sadly it's WAY out of my budget for this year. :(

But I am very curious to see how you like it and if you have used it with fabric yet.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 11th, 2014, 03:20 PM
I have been obsessing over this since you posted about it! I am such a tech junkie so this thing is like RIGHT up my alley. Sadly it's WAY out of my budget for this year. :(

But I am very curious to see how you like it and if you have used it with fabric yet.
Wendy, so far I've just worked with paper, but with some success. If you look in groups, I posted my entire photo album that I created for the 2013 Fall Forum Get Together, so you can see how the different features work. The best use was to scan photos and then crop them with different shapes around the best part of the picture. I could cut 6 pictures at a time, laid out on the mat.

My granddaughter, age 8 was able to create an Easter decoration with a little guidance. I just have to master the editing features a little better.

Fabric comes next, but not for a couple of weeks because of other commitments and the holiday.

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I will check that out. I am curious to see how it does with fabrics but I can see how much fun it would be with paper as well. My kid would LOVE that...and since Scott is a tech junkie also he can see the "cool factor" as really it's kind of a mini CNC machine. Well maybe if we make it through this quagmire that our life is right now I can hope for one as an xmas gift one day. Enjoy and share when you've tried some fabrics...enjoy your trip to M* and seeing your GKs! xox

Jean Sewing Machine
April 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I will check that out. I am curious to see how it does with fabrics but I can see how much fun it would be with paper as well. My kid would LOVE that...and since Scott is a tech junkie also he can see the "cool factor" as really it's kind of a mini CNC machine. Well maybe if we make it through this quagmire that our life is right now I can hope for one as an xmas gift one day. Enjoy and share when you've tried some fabrics...enjoy your trip to M* and seeing your GKs! xoxCNC machine? What is that?

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Well...I'm not sure what the CNC stands for to be honest but it works on the same principal as the Scan N'Cut but for wood, metal and plastics. So you can program it using pretty technical engineering languages to cut steel girders for example or in my DH's case they used to cut acrylic to make protein skimmers (filters) for salt water fish tanks. The cuts were pretty complex and difficult to do by hand and a CNC computer can be programmed to make the cuts for you.

They're used in all sorts of applications from cutting steel and aluminum for motorcycle and car parts, to wood working applications to plastics. Allows for precision cutting of pretty much anything that you can program. You should see a 3D printer! Now THAT is cool!

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 04:19 PM
CNC = Computer Numerically Controlled. :D

Jean Sewing Machine
April 11th, 2014, 04:41 PM
CNC = Computer Numerically Controlled. :D
I guessed the Cs but not the N, but I think most manufacturing processes use something akin to this. What I like about this is the input is through scanning, not a computer.

What is the cutting mechanism for the products you described? Cutting torch?

LorraineRob
April 11th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I thought it was Click 'n Cut. :D

Kateskloset
April 11th, 2014, 10:16 PM
CNC = Computer Numerically Controlled.

I was about to post that...my DH is a machinist and runs CNC machines.

Genny
April 12th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Years ago my dh worked with CNC Machines and made parts for large machines like farm tractors or fork lifts. The CNC Machines are very precise in what they make.