PDA

View Full Version : Update on my MIL

Meli
April 11th, 2014, 01:23 PM
As some of you know, my MIL has been having a lot of problems recently, specifically with fluid filling her left pleural cavity and compressing her lung, making it impossible for her to breathe. Since December, when she first started feeling bad, she has become more and more lethargic and just feeling like crap. Her doctor and oncologist (she had been in remission from an earlier bout of breast cancer) couldn't figure out why she was sick and finally sent her to see someone else.

The new doctors have been really aggressive. After several trips to the ER to have fluid drained (once they pulled off 3 1/2 liters!), a drain was installed so that she could do it at home as needed. The first test of the fluid showed no problems. The second test, however, showed cancer cells. More tests, more doctor visits, and a CT scan all culminated on this past Tuesday. The CT scan shows a rogue breast cancer cell has gone walkabout and "laid eggs" in her breast, her lung, pleural lining, hip, femur, and a few lymph nodes. She was adamant about not wanting to do chemo and asked about her life expectancy with and without it. Without it, she has maybe 3 months. With it, maybe 15 years. Needless to say, she started the chemo.

It would be so easy to be angry at the doctors who didn't find anything 4 months ago. Angry at God for allowing this to happen. Angry at a lot of things. My MIL is angry at the cancer. Anger makes her feisty, makes her want to fight this with everything she has. This is a good thing.

For my part, even though they are tiny, I am seeing miracles and tender mercies. When the original doctors couldn't find what was going on, she started having fluid in the pleural cavity, which prompted more extensive tests and new doctors. She has decided to do the chemo, even though she really didn't want to. Because of how horrible she's been feeling, the chemo is not the horror she had anticipated. Wednesday, the home health nurse tried to operate the drain, but almost no fluid came out. Thinking there was a problem, my MIL went to the nearest hospital, where they were also unable to get any fluid to come out, so they sent her to have an xray done, which revealed there is no more fluid in the pleural cavity.

She personally, and we as a family, have a long road ahead. But there is hope, so much hope, and there is faith. And we believe in the God of Miracles.

Bubby
April 11th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I wish the best for your MIL.

Susann
April 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
So perfectly put-miracles and tender mercies! Prayers for your MIL and the entire family.

BobW
April 11th, 2014, 01:57 PM
I hope for the best for you and your family. I think you are so right to take the high road and focus your energy on her getting better rather than getting mad. It isn't going to be easy but you all will get through this and have many more years to spend with each other. My thoughts will be with you and your family.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 11th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Wow, she's had a rough go of it. Prayers for her recovery to full health!

WendyI
April 11th, 2014, 02:06 PM
So unfair to have it return. Heartfelt thoughts coming your way and hers. Wishing you all well.

auntiemern
April 11th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Prayers being said. Some times ya just gotta fight...cuz you have no other choice.

asta
April 11th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Prayers for your dear MIL. Sounds like she has some great support people, hugs to all of you.

MayinJerset
April 12th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Adding my prayers for your MIL and successful treatments.

rebeccas-sewing
April 12th, 2014, 05:01 AM
So so sorry to hear this kind of news, Meli. I know the road ahead will be tough. If they are right that she may have 15 more years of life I guess the chemo would be my choice as well. Why does the road to eternity have to be paved with such trials for some of us?

Tina W
April 12th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Sending prayers to your MIL, to you, and the family.