PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Morning and it sure feels like summer

Blondie
June 2nd, 2011, 07:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/BSpence/sigs/asf.gif

Good Morning Ladies
Wow, Thursday already! And I forgot to add, it's JUNE! Where did May run off to so quickly?? Busy day ahead at work. Last night we did pick a few squash and then had to water the garden deeply because it has been so very hot.
All our veggies are looking strong and promising.

I need to buckle down and get cracking on finishing several projects. It is hard for me to sit and sew when it is so nice outside. Enjoy your day, ladies.

quiltingtrish
June 2nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Morning Blondie! I just posted on the living in the summertime thread for today and then come on down to see your wonderful post. You do sound better today than the other day - hehe, we all have days like that!

It's beautiful here with a cool breeze. My walk this morning should be wonderful! Just trying to do a stretch here and there while checking out the 'news' on here before I head out. That durn treadmill is really groaning and giving fits, so outside I go to walk the neighborhood for 30 minutes.

Have a great day everyone!
HUGS,

Loonwatcher
June 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Morning! Blondie, I can't believe you're harvesting squash already. We're just getting the garden planted (should have done it last weekend). Trish, you are so good getting your walks in. I wish I had your discipline. Since I've been back to work full time I can't go to aqua aerobics and I'm not getting my share of exercise. Weekends I do better with walks and kayaking. Need to get the bike out too.

Have a great day everyone!

Lola2Ace
June 2nd, 2011, 10:18 AM
Good morning all. Blondie glad you are feeling better, although I miss so much on here, I didn't 'see' where you are anything but your happy optimistic self! LOL Yum on your harvesting squash already! We have wanted to put out a garden for years, just haven't gotten it done, soil is clay and would take tons trucked in. But, I did get hubs a 'topsy turvy'---I am taking care of it,HA HA isn't that how it goes :icon_rolleyes:---it has 3 tomato plants,2 oregano an 1 basil in it. Boy o boy is it going to town, I even used some of the fresh herbs in the beef roast yesterday and it was yummy.
Trish, I keep saying I am going to get back to walking every day, but it hasn't happened yet! Bravo to you for sticking with it!
Loonwatcher, I sympathize with you. I am working more hours than planned. Pay checks are nicer, but I miss that extra 'free' time!
Well, the borders are calling me on this coins baby quilt. I just have the top and bottom to put on and it's a finished quilt top.
Wishing everybody a great day!

toggpine
June 2nd, 2011, 12:21 PM
Morning!
Our squash plants are about 6" high! So no squish for us for awhile yet! The spinach is about ready for the first harvest for a nice salad. A few other things are making progress, but it just hasn't been warm enough yet.
Good for you Trish! Walking out here would involve risking your life. We have no sidewalks and the folks think the road ways are part of the Grand Prix racecourse.
Nancy, The garden won't miss too much in a week. Kayaking sounds fun! I don't know if I could balance on a bike any more or not!
Lola, if your ground is that bad, why don't you plant other veggies in pots? I grew some nice vegetables in half whiskey barrels before we moved out here where we had plenty of space, decent dirt, and plenty of compost! We still get a healthy crop of rocks that pop to the top every time it rains, but the plants seem to work around them. You can also try small raised beds. Add one at a time until you get the size that you want. They are easier to take care of than the one we had just in the ground the first few years. The raised beds also helped eliminate my husband's chaos theory of gardening. If there was dirt he'd plant something there with no thought to how you would get to it to weed or harvest. You might try to find the book about square foot gardening. I still grow our tomatoes and lettuce in pots on the front deck. The heat on the deck is the only way we get red tomatoes before September's first frost kills them. The potted lettuce is easier to harvest and control the slugs.
Well, enough garden rambling! We have an early appointment for Em's new hearing aid molds. I hope to get the back pieced for that darned quilt today!
Catch you all on the flip side!
Cathy

patticakes
June 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hello Quilting Ladies, or should I say, Gardening Ladies??
Wonderful to hear you have some harvesting already. I built a little planter with pavers to hide an ugly tree root but have yet to plant any veggies. Will have to do it in pots, and I probably will this weekend. We have had couple of nice days but I have been putting together the Black and White Swap blocks. Still have to add another border and baste, quilt and bind it. It sure feels good to work on something!
I have been walking alot on the treadmill. Decided to walk a 5K yesterday (3.1 miles) and felt like I was "Rocky" once I completed it!! Today I did 2 miles and did not feel too bad. I am taking tomorrow off!
Hope you are all following your dreams on a day to day basis, quilting or otherwise!

Lola2Ace
June 3rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
Patti, your quilt is gorgeous! Cathy, I am thinking about doing another topsy turvy type planting, but it will be a homemade one this time, with buckets or something. I want to try some cucumbers maybe?? So far the tomatoes and herbs are doing so good, I am inspired! Oh and talking about inspiration...has anybody read the book 'Heaven is Real' WOW! My Mom gave it to me to read this evening and I have almost finished it! I did get the baby coins quilt top done and I love it, now to quilt that and finish quilting the friendship braid and I'll only have 100 things on my 'to do' list! LOL

debinmalaga
June 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Beautiful arrangement on your quilt top, Patti. Love the sashing, really looks sharp.

quilter.martha
June 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Patti, your quilt is stunning! Love the little splash of color you added to the blocks.