PDA

View Full Version : Thursday - it's gonna be a great day

Blondie
April 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

Ever wake up with a feeling of great expectations? I did this morning. Now, mind you, I am never fully awake until I've been fully caffeinated. Unless of course, I get jolted awake by the phone ringing in the wee hours (never a good thing - for me OR the caller). Yet, this morning I woke up with an actual smile on my face as I was yawning. I thought, Wow, today will be a fun day. Fun? I have to work. True, all my clients are precious ones that I never truly tire of seeing each week. But then I realized why my day will be fun. I am going to give myself a trim and have Sis color it. The white wall of age is showing again. How nice it will be to have someone else wash my hair. As my daughter tells me often, simple things for simple minds. How true. We clutter our minds up with so many unnecessary thoughts that we feel sometimes that the weight of the world is on our shoulders. And oh, how we can magnify molehills into mountains. So, if just the simple thought of having someone else shampoo my hair gives me a smile, good for me. Actually, one fella I see each and every Thursday morning comes in mostly for the shampoo and giggles. A simple shampoo can refresh more than your hair and scalp.

Yesterday was a lovely lovely day. I walked around the yard looking for more evidence of Spring. My tulip tree is blooming along with forsythia, dogwood and snowball bush. I have tons of Bethlehem Stars blooming, phlox as well in bloom. I am not expecting to see much azalea in their glory this year. It would appear that the winter was so long and hard that the deer came out in record numbers during the night and nibbled on them. Some must've been either so tasty or the deer were so hungry that there is little left of them. Normally I make a net out of tulle and cover my favorite ones. I was so preoccupied this last fall and winter that I neglected to even think of my azaleas. Sigh. I did take a few of my houseplants and put them out on the porch. Even though the nights are still cool, we haven't had anything in the 20's for a few weeks now. Oh yeah, I love me some Spring.

Wishing everyone here a day full of smiles over small things that you take for granted.

dwil23
April 10th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Good Morning!

Blondie, I only get my air trimmed 2 or 3 times a year - it grows very slow. But, the one thing I look forward to when I do, is having someone else shampoo my hair. Just something about it. It is getting to be that time again.

My good friend Deborah came over yesterday for lunch, catching up and helping me start to organize my stash. I had been telling her how much fabric I had, and I don't think she really believed me. (Shhh... she hasn't seen it all yet!) I had forgotten that when I was packing for storage I used fabric to wrap my fragiles. Just wait til I get to that.

Going to dinner at the restaurant youngest DS is now working at. DIL is coming in to town today, hopefully they will find a place to rent.

Off to take sister to work and get my day started. Everyone have a blessed day.

Bubby
April 10th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Morning Everyone,

Our water heater nightmare is coming to an end. I should be able to finish cleaning up and get my bathroom back together today. This has been a real pain, but we were able to fine a W/H that fits our space better so if there is a 'next time' it won't be so hard to take it out. Now maybe I can get some sewing done.

We are supposed to have high winds today and the new patio table has to go into the garage until the wind dies down. We are still cleaning up broken glass from the previous table.

Our Bradford pear trees and the phlox are blooming. We don't have bulbs that come back every year at this house. At my old house in town we have some gorgeous red tulips by the front porch. I pick a bunch every year and bring them to this house to brighten the kitchen. There is a huge Iris garden at the old house, too.

I have to make Jeff's lunch and get him out the door to work. Wishing everyone a great day.

Madeforyouinma11
April 10th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Morning all! Blondie, I love it when someone else shampoos my hair. I really love the shampoo and conditioner that my hairdresser uses so the last time it was on sale, she got both my daughters and myself a gallon of each one. It will last me forever and the smell is heavenly.
Your yard sounds like it's really coming to bloom...I would be dying with the forsythia..I'm allergic to them something fierce. A couple of neighbors have them and when the wind blows just right, I know it. It's more when they first come to bloom then later but I still don't have them in my yard.
Hubby went back to bed about 20 mins after getting up. He's getting a spring cold..UGH! I will leave him to sleep while I venture down to my sewing room to finish up two projects today. I want to start something new so bad, and I've been so good at waiting until I finish a couple of things first. Maybe by the beginning of next week I can cut some fresh new fabric...ahhhh, if that doesn't make you smile, nothing will...LOL
Well, hoping everyone has a wonderful day..prayers for all those in need and ((hugs)) for anyone who wants one.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 10th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Blondie! My sister calls it " turning back the hands of time". Thanks to Miss Clairol in a box! I pay a lot of money to a very cute stylist to get my clip and dip! But that white wall is creeping up on me now, and he is vacationing in Mexico! Hurry back, Adrian!

Need to get going on costumes and off this ipad today. I think I will be driving through Hamilton, Mo on Saturday on my way to Iowa to visit my grandkids. #1 grandson earned a special religious award through the Boy Scouts. They will get their award from the bishop on Sunday afternoon. I miss their special events, so I don't want to miss this one!

buckeyequilter
April 10th, 2014, 08:21 AM

Just stopping by to say good morning and have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

aliaslaceygreen
April 10th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Good morning!!! There is SUN. ...and a cat on my lap, coffee in my view...and I get out of work long before the 70+ degree day will fade away....
Taking my camera out for a bit of exercise after work....

MIL was sent home yesterday with some scary chemo pill things, and had oncologist Appt on Friday.... Thankfully, my SIL and BIL are both nurses, and SIL is actually the Quality Control officer at the hospital, so she knows everything and everyone... so nothing will fall thru the cracks as far as this all goes...

Thanks for all your good thoughts.....
here is a (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug)) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) back.... pass one on!

HandsomeRyan
April 10th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I'd be charged a "finders fee" if I paid someone to shampoo my hair. :)

I am at work this morning and then when I get home my mother-in-law will be there and is visiting through the weekend. I love my in-laws as they are good, kind people but it does sort of upset my rhythm having house guests. I am glad that she will get some time away from her own six year old (after raising their biological children, they adopted a baby who is now almost seven) and get some uninterupted cuddles with this unhappy little fellow:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0028_zpsifrfnood.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0028_zpsifrfnood.jpg.html)

My serger and the 22 miles of thread I ordered to go in it arrived! I have not gotten much chance to play with it yet because of the baby and cleaning so my M-i-L doesn't see the filth and squalor her daughter and I live in. I thought I would be really brave about it but I'll be honest, it is intimidating having all those manual adjustments. I did play with the edge of a scrap of quilting cotton until I got it to serge a 4 thread overlock correctly. I have a mountain of flannel downstairs waiting to be turned into blankets so I hope to get some more time to dial it in and actually make something with it soon.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/IMAG0029_zps3zmvgvdp.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/IMAG0029_zps3zmvgvdp.jpg.html)

I am looking forward to a beautiful weekend coming up. I am teaching a class about chicken coop design and construction on Saturday at a local architectural salvage (http://www.communityforklift.org/) place. We are unfortunately down to 9 chickens after one was killed by a hawk while free ranging a few months ago and another died of natural causes (most likely egg-bound) earlier this week. The other birds are doing well although they look a little ragged after they picked at each other after spending too much time inside their coop over the long, cold winter. We are getting 7-8 eggs a day though so that is a nice treat.

I hope everyone has a nice day.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h170/HandsomeRyan/WigglesHat4814_zps6f426237.jpg (http://s64.photobucket.com/user/HandsomeRyan/media/WigglesHat4814_zps6f426237.jpg.html)
...and Sawyer hopes you have a nice day too!

BobW
April 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
I agree it is nice to have your hair shampooed by someone else. It is one of the treats I enjoy a lot.

I got up this morning and have a load of wash in already. I meet the coffee group at 9am. Not much else going on here.

I finished the pillow shams for the D4P that I have been working on. The top is done, so I'm getting ready to start a new project.

Granny Judy
April 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Hug captured and sending it along to others... Thanks, Trish. I needed a good hug this morning.

I'm trying to expand/enlarge a finished quilt today. Just doing the "quilting" part of the extension, then will figure out how to add it to the rest of the quilt. Means I have to "frog" one edge, but the fabric matches perfectly.

I sat out side yesterday and enjoyed some sunshine on my pale skin. It felt sooooo gooooood. Hope to repeat that event again since the temps will be close to 70. Ah, finally, Spring!!! My iris's are coming along right on time!!

Iris Girl
April 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Popping in before work to say hello! It is a brisk 30 now but will climb to the mid 60's later. I have a load of laundry on the line and my son is grilling tonight! Can't wait for more *signs* of spring to get to my yard so far just crocus blooming, tulip and daffodils showing some green. My son finally talked me into a smartphone, so trying to learn that...getting stuck playing games there... Gamer at heart what can I say. Aside from sewing gaming is my other time sink. I don't smoke or drink and rarely watch tv so I guess its ok.
Sawyer is growing so fast. What a cutie! Enjoy the weekend all. Hugs to those that need it.

Monique
April 10th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Good morning friends. I feel better today but still stuffed up. Not coughing is so wonderful. Not sure what the day will bring other than sunshine and warm temperatures. I may try and accomplish something today.

My son is coming for the weekend. There is a birthday party/retirement party for my sister-in-law on Saturday. I need to make sandwiches for that. I hope I continue to feel good so I can go. It will be great having Greg here for the weekend.

Have a great day everyone.

New York Sue
April 10th, 2014, 09:39 AM
While driving home from work this morning, I noticed a large commercial van making a right turn, and having some difficulty. As I passed, I noticed his rear tire was three quarters of the way OFF the rim, as he kept merrily moving down the road! I wonder how far he got, and at what point did he decide that something was seriously amiss!
'Hey, Buddy! You might want to STOP!!'
JAYZEE! The things you see,,,,

Genny
April 10th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Happy Thursday Folksies!

Ever wake up with a feeling of great expectations? I did this morning. Now, mind you, I am never fully awake until I've been fully caffeinated. Unless of course, I get jolted awake by the phone ringing in the wee hours (never a good thing - for me OR the caller). Yet, this morning I woke up with an actual smile on my face as I was yawning. I thought, Wow, today will be a fun day. Fun? I have to work. True, all my clients are precious ones that I never truly tire of seeing each week. But then I realized why my day will be fun. I am going to give myself a trim and have Sis color it. The white wall of age is showing again. How nice it will be to have someone else wash my hair. As my daughter tells me often, simple things for simple minds. How true. We clutter our minds up with so many unnecessary thoughts that we feel sometimes that the weight of the world is on our shoulders. And oh, how we can magnify molehills into mountains. So, if just the simple thought of having someone else shampoo my hair gives me a smile, good for me. Actually, one fella I see each and every Thursday morning comes in mostly for the shampoo and giggles. A simple shampoo can refresh more than your hair and scalp.

Yesterday was a lovely lovely day. I walked around the yard looking for more evidence of Spring. My tulip tree is blooming along with forsythia, dogwood and snowball bush. I have tons of Bethlehem Stars blooming, phlox as well in bloom. I am not expecting to see much azalea in their glory this year. It would appear that the winter was so long and hard that the deer came out in record numbers during the night and nibbled on them. Some must've been either so tasty or the deer were so hungry that there is little left of them. Normally I make a net out of tulle and cover my favorite ones. I was so preoccupied this last fall and winter that I neglected to even think of my azaleas. Sigh. I did take a few of my houseplants and put them out on the porch. Even though the nights are still cool, we haven't had anything in the 20's for a few weeks now. Oh yeah, I love me some Spring.

Wishing everyone here a day full of smiles over small things that you take for granted.

I too am getting my hair done today...colored and trimmed! I can only afford to go every 6 weeks so as you can imagine...my hair has this gray going down the middle of my head resembling a skunk and it gets pretty bad by week 6! I love just laying back and letting someone wash my hair.

MRoy
April 10th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Good morning. I often cut my hair myself, but I like to go to the salon from time to time. As for color, I use Sun-In to lighten my hair and blend in the "natural highlights". LOL!! Going to finish piecing together a small baby quilt for donation this morning using left over blocks from a larger donation quilt. After the grass (and weeds) dries it's time for mowing. Temps around 70 later so it will be a good time to "git 'er done!"

dwil23
April 10th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Good Morning, again.

Just popped back in for a minute while waiting on DD to get ready.

I was reading the posts about coloring your hair and it made me think. First, I don't color mine, and, for whatever reason at my age, I have very little gray. Don't know why since Mom, Dad and all my cousins on my Dad's side were totally gray by their early 30's. A few years ago I was talked into coloring my hair and it was a PAIN! I said never again - it will be what it will be. Which brings me to my point. There was a lady in my Church, many years ago now, that had the most beautiful gray hair and she was under 40. In discussing it, she said that she realized after years of coloring her hair that God gave her gray hair and that he knows best what looks good on us and she realized that gray was the color that was most flattering to her. My own Mom came to that conclusion after years of dying her hair, and she received many, many complements on her hair. So, I will not dye mine. I realize that is a personal decision, and I'm certainly not criticizing anyone who does dye theirs. I would also be concerned about the exposure to all the chemicals. Especially so for our Blondie and all stylists who have a much higher exposure level.

Anyway, this was not meant to offend anyone, so please don't take it that way - just my thoughts on the subject!

JCY
April 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Awww, he's getting so cute! Love the baby pics. My step-son in N. ID has chickens. Usually it's a coyote that gets to them. I'm cleaning house, too. My 2 sons are coming for a long wk.-end on Apr. 24. Soooo looking forward to seeing them. I'm headed to a Gaithers Homecoming southern gospel concert this evening. The music will be uplifting, & it will give me a chance to get away from the caregiving for a few hrs. JCY

Kateskloset
April 10th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Good morning!
Needing some color myself! I also LOVE to have my hair shampooed. If I am lucky, my DD will blow dry my hair for me...she has the good dryer, and I know it is hard to believe, but a good hair dryer makes a difference in how your hair dries! Wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it. I have a $25 Conair from Wally World....she has a $150 something or another. Speaking of DD, today is her 23rd birthday...so tonight we will all go to Chili's to eat (her fav place) She will be bringing a new BF, or whatever they are calling them now. Our first time meeting him, hope my DH behaves himself! LOL
Our Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival is this weekend and my friend is coming over this AM so we can make her 2 year old granddaughter a strawberry appliqued pillowcase dress to wear to the festival. It's going to be a good day, not a cloud in the sky and temp in the 70's!! Y'all have a good one!!

MayinJerset
April 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM

I wish I could find a stylist like Jean's that can color and cut my hair to look its best. The stylist I like does give me a great perm but really botched up hair coloring by coloring the perm ends as long as the new roots. I need to find a good colorist as I can't see or reach the back of my head to color the roots. Maybe I'll just get a buzz cut and let the natural salt and pepper colors grow out, that's all salt in the front and sides and a half pepper in the back.

Nice day today and windows open again to refresh the house. Food shopping and errands this afternoon, need to pick up snacks as DS#3 and DGS Ben will be here late tonight for the weekend. DS has a marathon in VA on Sat. so Ben will be hanging with us. DGD Josi isn't coming with them as she has a bus trip to NYCity with her high school drama club, they'll see at least 2 plays while they are there.

EnumclawGramma
April 10th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Good Morning! I haven't checked the weather yet but looking outside I think it's going to be BEEutiful! Maybe I'll find some time go get out IN it! I really need to get my deck Spring ready.

I finally made a pillowcase yesterday, and you all were right! Sew easy and SEW fun! I made it using Easter fabric just for fun. Cute! I'll be making more for sure!

Hair color. Touchy subject for me, because I am in between phases right now and have not really committed to either one. Let it go natural or break down and add youth back! My main problem is that I do it myself and never know what color I should be doing. My daughter wants me to go to her girl, but that's a lot of $$. So here I sit, WAY more than a touch of grey, but not totally willing to let it go.......what to do what to do. VISIT BLONDIE!!

My man let me know today (in an email) that today is his 27th anniversary at the company he works for!! Wow! I can't believe how quickly time goes by. I went to work for the first time so that he could go back to school, he finished and went to work. 27 years ago! He is so close to retirement I can FEEL it! I can't wait!

Off to see what I can stir up, besides housework! My sister comes tomorrow!! Gotta get her room ready! I won't want to let her go home! I love my sister....

Hugs/Prayers all round....have a wonderful day. Sew some. Play some. Smile, and hug someone for no reason! It'll make ya FEEL good!

Simply Quilting
April 10th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Here is one of the things that brought a quick smile to my face the last couple of mornings Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV: D20 HATCHED WITH A FLOURISH! RRP confirmed hatch at 10:42 AM CDT Monday, April 7, 2014 D19 HATCHED OVERNIGHT RRP confirmed hat... (http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles?utm_campaign=l.facebook.com&utm_source=ustre.am%2FcRgM&utm_medium=social&utm_content=20140408075601)

The children and I love to watch the 2 eagles with their 3 eaglets. We got to see them eat yesterday and today. They were not wanting to stay under the mamma today and kept peeking out.

We are off to the homeschool group park day today. We are also doing a swap of stuff that we don't want. Since we are past the toddler, preschool ages, I have a lot to get rid of. Last year I went through and cleared out and am doing it again this year.

A friend of mine's sister had a house fire that destroyed everything so they are having a rummage sale and action to help her family. I have several things to donate for that. I am also working on making a couple of tote bags to donate as well.

Have a great day everyone :)

GrammaBabs
April 10th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Good morning... no WA today,, so slept in a bit.. Mr. Bill "bowling" so nice and quiet til around noon... Blondie.. can you tell me what to use for "oily hair"... I have straight "not colored" hair,, below shoulder cause it's always UP..(hairpieces to make it a 2 minute deal.. done and go)... I need something to help get the comb thru, but I get so tired of having to wash it everyday!!! Any hints??

Sawyer. you ar the cutest.. Ryan,,your a great guy for allowing your IL's a stay... our family has always been blessed with family and Inlaws getting along famously.. we are lucky,, but you marry someone,, you love their parents as they do... that's the deal here..:)
Works for us and yes, we are lucky to have found wonderful people..

Today,, I HOPE to sew.. or quilt.. but the sun is shining and I may just have to go outside!!!:)

bubba
April 10th, 2014, 11:58 AM
It is going to be a fantastic day!!!! In exactly seven hours and two minutes, my vacation starts for the next few weeks....but who'd counting? Oh yeah, I am!!!!!

EmmaB
April 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Good morning folks!

I awoke this morning with puffy eyes and trying to figure out if it was Thursday or Friday. It didn’t take long to figure it out so I was glad of that. If it takes more than 2 minutes I’d say I have a memory problem and need to start worrying about myself.

Came to the forum looking for some distraction from a terrible chocolate craving I was having....I received no help except maybe from M. Kuen(sp?)who posted a cake in a cup recipe which I already knew about but as I said in the initial post...there were no chocolate products in the house not even cocoa or chocolate chips. The people that replied were vicious, vicious people with their posts of their favorite chocolate candy and some even posted pictures. Yeah, you know who you are!!! All in fun tho!!!!! I love this forum. I cured the craving by going to bed so there! LOL

Have lots on my mind and most important a good friend of mine is at this moment having surgery to remove a spot on her lung. The growth which is cancerous is surrounded by healthy tissue and her doctor is not expecting her to require chemo or radiation treatments. I really hate that I can’t be with her this morning but take comfort knowing her family is there. DD is coming home after school this today and we are going to try and make a visit this evening. I plan to sit with her Saturday.

Ryan, I just love your pics of Little Man. He’s just the bee’s knees!!! and I'm glad that there are people like you who take care of chickens. I just couldn't do it....I like all our Makers creatures but they creep me out.

I enjoy a good head scrubbin now and then. When DD first started cosmo school she colored my hair a few times. By the 3rd time, I had her put a color on it that matched my natural color so I could quit the coloring. I guess I’m just lazy about my hair and it’s peppered with grey here and there. Don’t really matter to me what color it is just as long as it looks healthy and with all the coloring going on it was beginning to look a little unhealthy.

Love that pic Libby. That's how I felt this morning!

My boss and I have an anniversary today. I have been here 24 years. Wow! Half of my life spent here. Time flies when you’re havin fun!!!

Have a stupendous Thursday people!