PDA

View Full Version : Pay it forward night owl

ilive2craft2
April 9th, 2014, 01:24 AM
There was a fatal car accident in our community this past weekend - the car he was riding in was hit by a drunk driver. His death has had a profound impact on our community this week, by people paying it forward in all kinds of ways in his honor #MCStrong and on FB Pay it Forward for Michael Collins (https://www.facebook.com/events/247105598806537/?source=3&source_newsfeed_story_type=regular). Some people have paid for other people in line behind them, have tipped the amount of the bill, have paid for slots for kids in baseball camps, signed up to be organ donors, given blood and on and on.

I did not know this young man, but he was a year younger than my son. It really brings home the fact that we need to live in the moment.

Many of us in the quilting world pay it forward all throughout the year with charity projects or helping out other quilters, etc. I have joined many of the charity groups on the forum as well as doing other things in my own community. What are some of the things you do to "pay it forward"?

Hulamoon
April 9th, 2014, 01:31 AM
I sent two pkgs off yesterday ,can't say who.:D I pm'd someone to send a ufo top to, waiting to hear back. I'm making a gifty for someone and joined the COC group.

Sorry to hear about him. It's so sad to hear such young people going so soon :(

ilive2craft2
April 9th, 2014, 01:46 AM
I am not going to be much of a night owl tonight - off to bed I go... Looking forward to reading more pay it forward stories in the morning. I know there are lots of you out there who have done this..... :)

Kgrammiecaz
April 9th, 2014, 01:57 AM
Pay it forward is such an awesome deal. We do it many times throughout the year. Paying for someone in line, paying someones toll, etc. we know it makes someone have a better day. And it feels great to do because there is no celebrity status in at, it just feels right.

CountryHut
April 9th, 2014, 02:28 AM
If I stop at MickyD's or Dunkin Donuts - I normally only get a cup of coffee - I pick up the tab for the persons order behind me
- one time my son was with me - we were on the way back from a day trip to the wholesale market - and was trying to get some sleep in the back of the van . . when I stopped at Dunkin Donuts - got some coffee for me and picked up the tab for the guy behind me . . my son popped up and said . . Mom why did do that . . . and I told him he needed to -- pay it forward -- once in a while
- his blessings would be many one day . . . maybe not in this world - but blessing always shine through . . so now and then he'll tell what he did for someone or how he helped a homeless person . .
My son is such a good person . . just wished he didn't act like his father at times. . LOL*~

auntiemern
April 9th, 2014, 02:54 AM
What a sad, but heartwarming story. I try to pay it forward in my daily life. As you all know I make quilts for the hospital that saved my grand son's life. I try to help out other members on here when they need something. I have also paid for peoples orders at WM. I also try to instill into my DD and grand children the importance of giving back and paying it forward when we are so blessed. We may not be rich, but we have all that we need. That young couple checking out in front of me at WM struggling with whether to get baby wash or wipes will get what they need if I can help it. That is what we, as caring people do, right?

toggpine
April 9th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Sometimes it's big things, and sometimes it's small. I do what I can when I have means to do so. It may be financial or my time.

I have found I am never sorry for doing something helpful or nice for someone.

Patio Gal
April 9th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I try to smile and have a positive comment to cashiers anywhere I go...a comment on their shirt color, or smile, or "bet you've been doing this job a long time-----you make it look so easy"....that sort of thing Also, a comment to an older person always gets me a smile....after all, at 75, I'll soon need those smiles and pleasant comments........and I enjoy them myself even at this "young" age.

SallyO'Sews
April 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I have found I am never sorry for doing something helpful or nice for someone.

So true! Well said.

WendyI
April 9th, 2014, 12:16 PM
I give regularly to homeless people...usually in the form of a coffee card so that they can buy food and/or coffee. I always buy an extra bit of pet food when at the pet store to donate to local shelters or rescue groups, or drop my change in donation counter boxes all the time for one thing or another and participate in our United Way fundraisers at work. If I could do my life over I would live it doing nothing but helping others...I'd love to go to Africa or Vietnam or India or Brazil or wherever and help vaccinate children or provide care of some kind....but that's not very realistic so I help here at home when I can.

MayinJerset
April 9th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Marilyn, So glad you starting us thinking about PIF, some things we already do but there is always room to add a few more. Some I do publicly like donating quilts, pillowcases and orphan blocks and other times I quietly send a little something to a friend or someone who needs to know that someone is thinking of them.

auntiemern
April 9th, 2014, 04:03 PM
In any language....this is what it is all about What does kindness get you? This. | FOX2now.com (http://fox2now.com/2014/04/09/what-does-kindness-get-you-this/)