PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday is always a good day to smile

Blondie
April 8th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Happy Tuesday Folksies!

There was once a little girl who loved to color in coloring books. She loved all the colors in the big box of 64 crayolas that she didn't want to even use them. So, she begged her mommy to buy her another box and her mother told her, you silly little twit, use all your crayons up first and then you can have more. Her mommy didn't understand that to the little girl, they were too pretty to use. But, she started using one and then another one, always saving her favorite colored crayons for something special. When she found a particularly good page to color and knew that the special colors would be perfect on it, she would use the back end of the crayon lightly, so not to dull the point on them. A few years later, the little girl discovered the wonderful world of paper dolls. She loved to make paper clothes for them herself and spent many a happy hour drawing out a wardrobe and coloring them in with her now worn out crayolas. That big box lasted forever.

There is no moral to the story here. I am a waste not - want not kinda gal, except that is sort of how my fabric stash is. I rarely buy yardage. But oh lawdy, how I love my scraps.

It's Tuesday, and yesterday while I was sorting through scraps, my Mom came over to visit. While she was helping me sort through my little stash, she asked me if I remembered what day I was born on. "Dec 18", I responded. No, she wanted to know if I knew what day of the week. Yeah, mom, I was born with a calendar in my hand. So, we googled that date. It turns out I was born on a Tuesday. We both started grooving on which family member was born on which week day and see if they matched up to their rhyme. You know:

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for a living,
But the child that's born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny, blithe, good and gay.

Funny, I always thought I was born on Saturday!

Have a wonderful Tuesday folksies. There is always a fun way to spend your day, even if only in your own head. Count your blessings, be a blessing and don't ever forget to smile.

rebeccas-sewing
April 8th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Hi Blondie, I knew there was a reason I like you. I was born in 1951, on a Tuesday which happened to be Christmas Day that year. Yep, I'm a Christmas baby. I believe the time was 3:20 a.m. Mom had me in a Catholic hospital. She remembers the nuns singing Christmas Carols down the aisles of the maternity ward. What a present! My sis was in the backseat of the car with Mom laboring in the front seat. Her comment was, "I'm glad I didn't get sick for Christmas!" Little did she know how life would change when I came on the scene. She was the first grandchild for 5 1/2 years until I appeared. I don't think she liked me very much. Good thing time changes all things. She and I are best sisters nowadays.

Madeforyouinma11
April 8th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Morning all...
I haven't heard that rhyme in a long time... I was born on December 8, 1961. It was a Friday. It's also the Immaculate Conception.
I like to think that I'm a loving and giving person.
Well, it's raining right now. We're supposed to have some thunderstorms sometime this morning too. It's going to be 60 today and clear up sometime this afternoon so I'm a happy girl. We've had our bedroom window wide open for the last couple of nights and it's been so nice letting in the fresh air. Little chilly in the morning getting out of bed, but still nice.
Today I need to sandwich and quilt the sweatshirt quilt for a customer and hopefully, I'll be binding it tonight. Needs to be done for Thursday. I also want to finish a little quilt that I made for Julia. It's only a 20x20... Just something for her to hold on to. It's the cutest and I'll post pics when it's done.
Not much of anything else going on today.
Saying prayers for all those in need, we have so many. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Oh, thought I'd share this with you...seems as good of an excuse as any...

Lonna
April 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Good Morning All,
Looks as if it will be another rainy day here also. But with the promise of sunshine tomorrow. Blondie I am like you I could have sworn had to be a Saturdays child seems all I do is work. But I am a Sundays child.

Well only four more sleeps and then for my first go away vacation in over 20 years. To the point of being excited and kind of scared at the same time. Hard to think about not sleeping in my own bed for five nights. Time for me to get out of this bed now and get ready for work or I am going to be late. Have a great day my friends.

Iris Girl
April 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Morning all. Haven't seen that poem in ages. I was born on a Sunday. I have always been the Pollyanna looking on the good side of things and staying happy for the most part.

Hubby was born on Monday...I think he is fair of face.

My kids were born on a weds and a friday...but for them the poem is reversed.

Suppose to rain all day here and be nice next 2 days. Its getting warmer gradually, we did have a few windows open over the weekend.Off to work for me. Have a great day all. Hugs to those that need them.

MRoy
April 8th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Good morning! I'm a Saturday's child and I think I've done my share of hard work. But I'm thankful to have been able to do it. My mom used to tell me that it took 3 days for me to be born...guess I wasn't in a hurry to get here. It's chilly and rainy here, looks like we're going to have lots of April showers. We have lots of "little winters" to go through yet...dogwood, snowball, blackberry, etc.
Think I might go shopping today...department store is closing with 75% off what's left.

bubba
April 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I had to google it....I was born on a Saturday. My girls were born on Wednesday and Monday, however, their days should be reversed, because clearly the younger one is full of woe and it's all about her! At times I think they switched babies on me in the hospital.

I had to be in to work at 0300, which means I got up at 0200 :( Hate that! At least I went to bed at 1630 yesterday, instead of the normal 1800. It's a wonder what a sleeping aid can do for you! Hope I stay away till 1100 when I get to go home!

As a child, I always longed for a box of 64 crayons....heck, I'd have been happy with 48! Coming from a family of five girls and not much money, we got our box of 24 at the beginning of every school year and that would last until school was out the next summer. Same with shoes, a dress pair for school and church in the fall, plus one pair of tennis shoes for play and another pair of dress shoes come Easter for church again. Church shoes in the spring were not allowed to be worn to school unless permission was granted!!! That was the life. We never thought anything of it. Our friends were all raised the same, so nobody was jealous of anyone. If life could only be that simple again!

Have a great day!

Mpyles
April 8th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Morning all!

Oh how I treasured a new box of crayons growing up! I was the 5th of 7 children and new boxes did not come along very often! I am also Mondays child fair of face! I was going to bind the baby quilt last night but decided the fabric for the binding I had bought didn't suit it at all. Hope to buzz by the LQS sometime today. I did drop by Tuesday mourning yesterday and picked up some fat quarters. They had a package of 7 for 3.99 or 5 for 5.99.

Off to work today. A little rain in the forecast but yesterday was the same way and turned out beautiful! Speaking of "isms" and rain my momma always told me when I was little "into each life a little rain must fall"

Anywho...everyone have a great day!!

buckeyequilter
April 8th, 2014, 09:18 AM

I'm sitting here waiting on the washing machine repairman. Straightened the house so we don't look like total slobs when he shows up. DH was going to stay home and I told him to go to work because he won't get paid to stay home and I will.

I was born on a Saturday, my son on a Tuesday and my daughter on a Sunday. I don't know if mine quite fits me because I'm kind of lazy.

I should get off here and grab the quilt that is looking at me and work on the binding. Well just got the call from Sears, need to put the dogs out because the guy is afraid of them.

Have a great day! Prayers and hugs

BobW
April 8th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I was born on Thursday, which means I have far to go. Does that mean I never get to my destination? Sometimes it feels like it.

I have my weekly doctors appointment today. I have to travel about 90 miles round trip for my appointment. It is a beautiful drive through Mennonite country. Last week a encountered about 12 horse and buggies. I also am picking up my new-to-me Janome today on the way back from the doctor. So it will be a good day all and all.

HandsOffItsMine
April 8th, 2014, 09:50 AM
:) Don is a Tuesday child, Kat's a Sunday child and I'm a Friday child. I guess that's why we're a house of harmony most of the time. ;)

Don was to have the day off and start painting my cutting table, of course I had to hear the beep of his cell phone for messages. :( "Can you come in this morning? Willy didn't show up." Good for extra money, bummer to get my sewing room together.

Been feeling sick in a Fibro Flare, this move did me in. Going to try to catch up with unpacking, taking pictures of Cyber Elves pillowcases/crayon roll-ups that came in the week before the move and this week to post. Try not to over do and listen to the ol' body. lol

Prayers for those in need, huggers for all. Ruby and Don

Monique
April 8th, 2014, 10:00 AM
Good morning. WET WET snow this morning. It won't stay as it is supposed to change to rain. April showers will bring May flowers, right?

It is official, I have my first cold of the season. Sinuses are full, throat is scratchy. It is hubby's fault he had it first.

Our elections were yesterday. Happy to report that the minority government that was is no more. She lost in her own riding on top of that. We now have a majority Liberal government this morning. No more talks about separation for at least 4 years. Hopefully they can get the province back on track. Ok, enough talk about politics.

I need to make placemats today for a birthday. Not sure how much I will get done today being a little under the weather.

Have a great day everyone.

I am a Saturday baby born on Easter weekend.

EnumclawGramma
April 8th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Good Morning! I'm up and I think I'm ready for a new day! I don't think it's going to be a sunny one, but that just means sewing freely with a clear conscience (silver lining!)

I am a Wednesday's child.....I had to look it up. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

I'm filling in for a girl at the gift shop today. We trained together and I just couldn't say no. More time to learn the job is good too. Last week was pretty busy. It amazes me how people spend money in a hospital gift shop. And not on patient gifts. They SHOP.

I am making a sewing machine cover for my new machine. I hope it turns out as cute as I see it in my head. Then I'm going to try my hand at a pillowcase. Believe it or not, I have NEVER made one! It looks like fun and I'm tired of being an outsider when everyone gets together and sews them for charity. I have so much fabric that would make wonderful pillowcases. So yup! I'm giving it a try.

Off to get things started! Hugs and Prayers for those in need. There are SO many. Have a wonderful day and like Blondie says .... SMILE! And give someone a hug for no reason. It feels good!

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2014, 10:56 AM
I always remember which day of the week son Pat was born as it was Friday the 13th. I was born during a snow storm on a Wednesday and hopefully I'm not full of woe. I'll limit myself to 1 woe a day and try to keep smiling the rest of the day.

Been damp and raining for several days and although it is much preferred to snow the dampness has been affecting my arthritis a lot, especially in my hands and shoulder. Trying to finish quilt show quilt and doing OK with piecing but hope it clears up so I can hand stitch the binding down after quilting. OK, that's my woe of the day. Now back to smiling.

Almost forgot, just ordered a charm pack and yardage for a quilt for my newest great grandchild that will be born this summer, added the DD of a white layer cake and used my quilter's points to help defray the cost.

Libby, Too bad you live so far away, I'd ask you to join us sewing pillowcases at LQS on Saturday. They are an easy sew and with quick results.

Cil, what did you say? 72958

Blonde Biker
April 8th, 2014, 11:07 AM
I am a Thursday child. "Far to go"? hmmm. well, if going far means on my motorcycle...that would be great. I rode yesterday with 2 of my girlfriends. we rode out to the Oregon coast. today will also be nice so I am planning to ride to the quilt shop that I attend the long arm quilt group. so if Thursday's child has far to go....I better Gas UP!72959

EmmaB
April 8th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Hey everyone!

After a google search, I discovered I was born on a Monday. Well, ok then! LOL

Yesterday was such a "brain drain" kinda day that when I got home from work and after DD finally left for school, I did some mindless embroidering and watched the boob tube. Glad to have that day behind me and today is another day. Not much going on today that I know of and I'm a little thankful for that. This evening I'll be helping out the County Clerk with ballots. I hope the machine works better than it did last time. It was ornery the last election that was held. At any rate, I'll earn a little extra pocket money.

Peace to all on this fine Tuesday!!

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Carol, Looking Cool on your Bike. May in Jersey

Simply Quilting
April 8th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I had to google the calendar for my year. I'm a Saturday baby. There are several stories that go along with my birth. One is my Dad decided that he was just staying in the waiting room. So when my brother came along, they barely made it to the hospital because Mom said that he would not be in the waiting room again.

I worked yesterday cleaning out the office and laundry/storage area. I still amazes me how much paper comes into this house. Today I am hoping to sort toys. The children are getting old enough that some of the toys can easily go. The main thing that they all play with now is legos.

I have a chiropractor appointment later this morning. And then go vote. The biggest thing on the ballot is the local school building issue. We need to build a new cafeteria for the elementary. The first group of children eat at 10:30AM and the last group at 1PM.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone :)

LynneLeavell
April 8th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I was born on Friday and I think my family would beg to differ with the "Loving and Giving". I pick and choose. My Husband was born on Thursday and both of my Children were born on Saturday. My daughter has always been a hard worker, my son on the other hand, well lets just say he finally found a job that he likes about two years ago and still with it. Two of my Grandsons was born and Tuesday and they are both full of Grace. My middle grandson was born on Thursday and he was 6 1/2 weeks early, and I seem to think that four years later he doesn't have near as far to go, but still as a long ways to go with some developmental issues.

Thanks for posting that Blondie, it does give you something to think about.

To this day I still buy the box of 64 crayons. When they get worn down I give them to my grandchildren and I go buy me a new box.

Prayers to those who need it and to those who don't. Stay warm and dry.

dwil23
April 8th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Good Morning, all!

I'm the same way with my fabric stash. It is soooo hard to use it - because I want to keep it. If I'm making a project, I have no problem buying new fabric even though I probably have a dozen things in my stash that would work. Of course, I always buy way more than I need - to add to my stash! And, those box of 64 crayons - how I loved those. My Dad would often stop on his way home from work when I was sick and buy me one. Made being sick worthwhile!

I was born on a Friday, too. Seems like a lot of us are Friday babies, just from quickly reading the previous posts. My Mom always said I was born at 2:30 in the afternoon on the last day of school. I graduated from High school on Friday and turned 18 the next day.

It's raining here now and supposed to turn cooler tomorrow. That will probably be our last nice day for 8-10 months. :(
Hope everyone has a Blessed Day - prayers for those in need.

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Oh, when I was a kid we all wished for those big 64 Crayola boxes as we had the box of 8 or those awful waxy ones. I loved the Crayola orange red and used it for all the girl's hair.

I guess I never got over wishing for the big box because years ago I bought a Special Edition Crayola tin that had a box of 64 crayons plus two boxes of Collector's Colors Limited Edition. Both Limited Edition boxes have crayons 8 crayons in all our old favorites; blue grey, green blue, maize, orange red, raw umber, orange yellow and violet blue. Until I saw the post I had forgotten about them and think it is time to pass them along to great grandkids.

auntiemern
April 8th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Like some of the others I had to look up what day I was born on. Tuesday...Gracefully I ain't, lol. I still buy the 64 box of crayons, and still color. My DDIL laughed at me one time when they came to the lake and I had my own coloring books and crayons. I explained to her that it filled my creative need, when I had no projects with me.
Libby you will love making pilow cases. They are such fun. DGD (7 yr old) wanted me to make her another one last night. She got in my stash and did a great job of picking out fabrics.
Not much happening today...so tired. I haven't slept much in a week, and it is starting to effect my body. Fibro lupus flare.
Blessings and hugs for all. Prayers for those in need.

pcbatiks
April 8th, 2014, 02:15 PM
May........I used to love the big 64 box of Crayola colors too.......my favorite color was cornflower blue!

bubba
April 8th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Ha!!! I was just going to say the color I liked least was cornflower blue! My favorites were the midnight blue and the magenta, of which neither came in my measly 24 pack!

kensington
April 8th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Yeah... I went and had my legs waxed before going to Florida! Ouch and OUCH! They ripped the skin right off I think. I wanted to cry. I guess I will learn to keep up with shaving. the hair only grows lightly on the front of my legs... she ripped the skin off the whole leg. I'm done with that! Maybe Nair is the answer for me. ROTFLOL!

Headed off to sew, and smile about this. Thanks Blondie! I love a Blonde moment.

pcbatiks
April 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Ha!!! I was just going to say the color I liked least was cornflower blue! My favorites were the midnight blue and the magenta, of which neither came in my measly 24 pack!

Pat, how dare you not like the cornflower blue! :D

buckeyequilter
April 8th, 2014, 03:59 PM
My favorite in my measley box of 24 was blue...just plain ole' blue

WendyI
April 8th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Hi all...today was an okay day. I got up with Liam today, showered and drove him to school. Came home and had a cuppa tea and waited to call a marriage and family counselor recommended by my therapist. Sadly her office is closed until the 16th so will have to wait. I am off work at least until Friday but maybe longer. I have to go see my doctor on Thursday to see about taking a bit more time off. I need some time to regroup and get myself back together.

After that I decided that today was going to be a non-thinking day. I went and got my nails done, picked up dog food, went to the library and picked up a book I had put on reserve. Then I decided to browse fabrics and realized that now that my fav. LQS has closed there's nothing in my area. Have a rant about fabrics here but will post that in another thread.

Anyway... I did manage to pick some up and now will attempt to make a quilt for my sister. I'm very much looking forward to the distraction.

The sun shone today at last! I thought I was going to have to dig out my straight jacket after waking up to more snow on the ground again! But then I drove around all day with the windows open in my truck and music blasting and felt much better. Then I saw Klasiens message that my blocks arrived and that made my day even better. So now I'm just sitting and surfing here and tonight will start playing with fabrics for a bit. Hope you all had the very best of days! xox

Miss Sheri
April 8th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Believe it or not, I have NEVER made one! It looks like fun and I'm tired of being an outsider when everyone gets together and sews them for charity. I have so much fabric that would make wonderful pillowcases. So yup! I'm giving it a try.

Libby, I had never tried those before this week either, beware, they can become addicting! I thought I would try one, and if successful, maybe make three. I am now finishing 10,11 & 12.

I am a Tuesday's Child, supposedly full of Grace. . . My body grew so quickly as a little girl, that my brain couldn't keep up with my long limbs. I would trip just walking across the floor, or go to set a cup on the table and miss the table completely. My parents enrolled me into 3 months worth of "Tap, Jazz, and Acrobats" (a LOOOOONG time ago!) . . . hoping I would become 'graceful' and not a hazard to myself and everyone around me. Lol.

And, Blondie, I can TOTALLY relate to that little girl and her box of crayons! That was ME to a T. Wow, did that ever bring back memories. . . (and warm smiles).

Hugs and prayers, just know you are loved, each and every one of you.

Miss Sheri