PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck --- I think

Ginny B
April 7th, 2014, 11:31 PM
As some of you may remember, I work for a couple of very intense women and it has caused me a lot of stress. It was actually making me a bit sick for a while. I don't post about it much because I know I will sound like a broken record but it really can get awful. Sadly, the big boss has been out for 6 weeks because of health issues and will be out for about 3 more we just found out. It has been better without her there but she will be back and I don't know if I am ready for that. Well, I saw a job opening in another department and after a number of days of thinking it over, I decided to apply for it. I had the first interview today with the guy from HR and he said he would be passing my application on to the person I would be working for. Her admin has recently retired so they are looking to replace her. It would be a step up in position (from secretary to Admin. Assistant).

So, I am now just waiting to see when I will have my 2nd interview. I know it will be stressful starting a new job if I get it but my current position really does get me upset. So, I am torn -- the stress that I know or the stress that I don't know. But somehow, I just don't see this other department as being as stressful as where I am right now.

Ginny B

aliaslaceygreen
April 7th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Oh, good luck to you!! I would say, that this time, while she is out on leave is the best time to go... that way she is really out of the loop even in you taking the position!!

I need to do the same thing....And soon, or I will feel badly when it gets to close to the holidays and I don't want to make those I LIKE suffer.... But I've reached critical mass....this last year, with the new mgr, who I was hoping would move on quickly like the last 6...but shes stayed...and as a company I feel like I've gone full circle...we are back to some policies that were in place when I started over 12 years ago....

Kgrammiecaz
April 7th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I totally get what you are saying. You might just put down a pro con list, but it sounds like a change might be a very positive move for you. You made that first big step, so I would encourage you to see it through. I do not see much difference between a secretay and admin assistant. I am an administrative assistant and handle all of it for our small office with one other person, the admin supervisor. So you pretty much already have the skills required and you should be getting paid for it. Good luck, you will do hreat.

MRoy
April 7th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Good luck! If you want the position I hope you get it and have less stress. I had a new supervisor the last year I worked. The stress level was so high that at times I wanted to scream (or choke her) but I kept telling myself to hang on until retirement in August. I retired last August 1 and then I really understood just how much stress I had been under and how it was affecting my overall health.

Pandabear
April 7th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Good luck to you.

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2014, 01:12 AM
Go for it girl, you can do it. If you've been a secretary for awhile you have already been functioning as an AA, the only difference is at a low pay scale. Yes there will be some stress while you learn your new duties but it will soon be alleviated not like the daily stress you have with your present boss. Good Luck!

auntiemern
April 8th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I am happy for you. It sounds like a step in the right direction. Onward and upward...and as the others have said...you are already doing the work of an AA so you might as well get paid for it.

stationarymom
April 8th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Good luck to you I hope all goes well.

Sheena
April 8th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Yes, go for it. Definately. Good luck.

rebeccas-sewing
April 8th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Good luck to you. I surely hope you get the job. Life is too short to be dealing with stress caused in the office place by other people. If it doesn't work out don't let that deter you. Find another job one way or the other. Keep us posted.

Bubby
April 8th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Good luck with your interview, Ginny. You spend way too much of your life at work to be under that kind of stress. Ask me how I know. I'm praying for this to work out for you. Hugs...

pcbatiks
April 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Ginny, I think you should go for it too. If a job is making you physically ill and affecting your health it's time for a change & you have the opportunity.....I would take it. Good luck. :)

bubba
April 8th, 2014, 07:17 AM
I know where you are coming from!! I am hoping to retire SOON!!! An admin job came up w/the fire department and I would love to do that and was working on applying when it occurred to me, I don't want to work anymore. I want to live the retired life and quilt! And go to my lake place and anywhere else when I want! Then I thought, well do it anyway, it'd be flattering if they hired you. But then, if I decided my heart was not in it, I'd leave them high and dry. I sat down and told my husband I was not going to finish the application. Hope I don't regret it, but I'm thinking I won't! I have worked here, at 911, for 31 years this May 5, and I just feel like I earned it.

easyquilts
April 8th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Go for it! My last boss kept me totally stressed out..... It was a small 2-3 person office, so she could easily see and hear everything I did.... And criticize.... Nothing is worse than dreading going into work..... Fortunately I was part time, so I wasn't in the office everyday.

BTW, she was too busy to train me when I came on......there were several deals in the works.... So for the first few weeks I did almost nothing.....

So GO.... No job is worth your constant anxiety.....

Suzette
April 8th, 2014, 08:13 AM
I wish you all the best and hope the new position is a good fit for you! I think the short term stress of starting a new position and learning the ropes there is far better than the long term stress of staying in your current department. Good luck! I hope it all works out for you. :icon_happy:

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Sounds like perfect timing and was meant to be!

Madeforyouinma11
April 8th, 2014, 08:32 AM
I agree with Suzette...the stress you don't know will be job related, which will get better as you learn the job, where the stress you do know is because of two people that will likely never change. Do you know who your new boss would be? Do you happen to know the person who recently retired? Maybe she can put you at ease. I think you're doing the right thing.
Good luck and I hope your second interview happens soon!

Iris Girl
April 8th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Go for it Girl. Short term stress is much better then long term stress.

EmmaB
April 8th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Good luck Ginny!! Whatever you want to happen I hope it does. Life's too short to deal with people that cause you stress.

HandsOffItsMine
April 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
(((Ginny))),

Go for it, especially now that she's out of the office. You spend more time at work than with your love ones. Especially in a large company, it's easier to move to another department. I rather have to stress of learning new challenges than the mental stress from people who are nasty. You can do it, you've been doing the AA job already. :) Good luck!

Huggers, Ruby

WendyI
April 8th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I think this move would be a very good one for you. It will be a different kind of stress initially but certainly a better kind of stress than what you are experiencing now. I have a high stress job now but it's to do with the work, not the people. I worked for 7 years with a bully supervisor and I would take my job today over that ANY DAY of the week and twice on Sundays! I will be sending lots of positive vibes your way for a successful second interview!! Good Luck!

Miss Sheri
April 8th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Good Luck and Blessing Ginny, you know they say, " A change is as good as a vacation". I actually believe that. I am hoping all goes well for you. So, 'chin up' and 'courage strong', you go for it.

ilive2craft2
April 8th, 2014, 07:44 PM
Ginny, I am also cheering for you! I think change is good for us - it really changes the type of stress that we are dealing with and hopefully, you will only have stress for a little while as you settle in to your new job. Life is too short to deal with that kind of stress.

AuntieVic
April 8th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Ginny good luck to you!

Ginny B
April 8th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Thank you all for all of your encouraging words and support. It is so true that I have been doing the admin job without the pay and I am confident that I can do the basic job and I will just have to learn what needs to be done for that specific department. I do know the person that retired and she always seemed very calm. When I first came to this organization, I was a Secretary/Receptionist. After a couple of years there, the position I am currently in came available and I went for it. My supervisor at the time was sad to let me go but supported and encouraged me. After I had seen the job I have just applied for, she actually approached me and said she thought I should apply for it. She knows how stressful it is where I am and thinks I would be a good fit there. So, I am hoping it all works out.

Pat, if I was closer to retirement, I would be right there with you. In a few years I will definitely be looking at my next job -- retired and quilting!

Thanks again for all your uplifting words and your prayers. I will keep you posted.

Ahamblin
April 8th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Good luck. You should go for it. Life is too short to be stressed out all the time at work. I had to keep reminding myself that it was a "job" not my life. Now I am retired and loving it.

madampolo
April 9th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Good luck!