PDA

View Full Version : Rainy Days and Mondays

Blondie
April 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM

Hello Folksies
As you are most likely experiencing some rain, I thought I would throw in that old standard and now you can be humming The Carpenters all day long. No thanks are necessary.

Hubs and I spent all day in the yard yesterday. It was a nice cool day, mostly overcast with a breeze. We had piles and I do mean PILES of leaves to finish raking from the fall. We got so busy with Mom and her needs that we are just now getting to get ready for spring and summer. Oh well. Good exercise and we are both sore from all that fun.

It put me in mind of Mr. Price.

Mr Price was one of our neighbors when I was growing up. He was what my grandmother called a Lonely Heart Bachelor. He was one of those low talkers as my Daddy who was hard of hearing would say. The school librarian and not very handy with yard work. The inside of his home was fastidious. One day he told me that if I raked his yard I would get a cup full of pennies. I went at it like a professional leaf raker, envisioning what I could buy with all those pennies! And the fun I had trying to estimate the number of pennies held in the cup. What size cup was he speaking of? A tea cup, a measuring cup, a coffee cup? Oh my, depending on the dimensions, I could be set for life!! After a thorough raking, bagging and assessing his yard for anything else that could possibly be done for another cup of pennies, I knocked on his door with both hands out. I mean, a cup of pennies are heavy. The smile on Mr Price's face should have been enough for me really. He was absolutely glowing, his praise positively effusive! I knew I was r i c h . Imagine my surprise when he reached into his pocket and pulled out two pennies. It turned out that I misheard. I was so fixated with making some real money that I heard cup full rather than "coupla" pennies. Rats!
With that lesson under my belt, I learned to be careful of what I thought I heard. It has served me well over the passing years. My Poppa, seeing all the work I did, managed to let me raid his candy stash and all was well in the end. Poppa always had a sweet tooth that I do believe I inherited, and he was never stingy with this stash.

I intend to finish up two COC's on this rainy day. I have NO PLACE that I have to be today and therefore I am planning to do nothing but sew and watch dvr'ed shows, eat cinnamon buns in tribute to my Poppa and keep myself properly caffeinated.

Have a wonderful day! Keep your ears clean, your mind on someone else's needs, and always always always, remember that even in the darkest time, you can find something to smile about. That's my two cents worth for the day.

Bubby
April 7th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Morning,

What a wonderful post this morning, Blondie! There's a good lesson there, too.

It's raining here this morning and is scheduled to continue most of the day. We worked in the yard this weekend, Jeff did more work than I did by far. I baked a peach cobbler yesterday and that made everything right as far as the balance of work...lol!

We almost had to drive to Cuba yesterday to let one of our tenants into her apartment. Her small son locked the door and her keys were inside. Grandma to the rescue, although poor grandma lives an hour away! At least we didn't have to make that trip again. I urged Katie to make a spare key and hide it in her vehicle for times like this. There's just something about little boys and locks.

Wishing everyone a good start to our new week. Hugs & prayers...

Marty
April 7th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Loved your post this morning. I rarely comment but I always read your remarks and they are a great way to ensure a positive start to my day. Happy Monday!

EmmaB
April 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Good morning good people!

Great story Blondie. Reminded me of when my uncle bet me a quarter that I couldn't hit a nail with a hammer. Gosh, I was probably 8 or so. We were sitting at the shop and there was an old board with some nails sticking up. I was goofin around poundin away at this board probably makin racket that he didn't want to hear. He said I'll give you a quarter if you can hit that nail on the head with that hammer. CHALLENGED ACCEPTED! I turned the hammer sideways and smacked the nail ON THE HEAD!! My dad who was witnessing this busted out laughing and I got my quarter! What fun times.

I worked out in the yard some this weekend also and we are getting some rain today. It was chilly Saturday so I decided to work on my quilt. About 1:30 one of my puggies decided she needed to go outside and went I went out it was gorgeous. Because it was chilly that morning when I took the puggies for their morning trip and also chilly in the house I just figured it was too chilly outside. I felt guilty about staying inside just about all day! Yesterday I moved a few bricks that had be laying in a pile at the side of the house and moved them to the back of the house. Also did a little raking. Then because my car was available(yay!) I took off to Tuesday Morning to check out the material they had advertised, went Big Lots and Hancocks. After my little shopping trip I stopped by my mom's and visited with her and two of my sisters.

Raining here this morning. I hope it helps my grass comes up!!

Have a great day everyone!

Jean Sewing Machine
April 7th, 2014, 07:52 AM
Good morning friends! I haven't even looked out to see if is raining here, it's supposed to rain on St. Louis's parade, opening day for our beloved Cardinal baseball team. I'm not out there in a tent waiting for cheap tickets, but more power to those who are!

My grandson had his delayed birthday party yesterday at a place where you jump on trampolines. Then they have party rooms for eating pizza and cake led by a cute enthusiastic employee. This place is located in the hugest strip mall you have ever seen, it is at least a mile long. Finding it caused one of the moms to cry, me to cuss and a whole bunch of his friends to bail on coming. Another complication was that the highway dept. was taking down two overpasses that led up to the shopping center, making the trip there a treasure hunt to find a road that wasn't closed off so you could get there! Whew! Well, a few intrepid friends showed up, they jumped for an hour and we went to a party room for cake and pizza. Sitting at the end of our table was a little bewildered looking girl that no one knew. We thought Michael had invited her! Just as she was served her pizza, her father rushed in, saying she was in the wrong room! The place was so crowded yesterday, she got mixed up and into the wrong group as they walked to the party rooms! It was crazy and funny at the same time!

All that partying did me in for the rest of the day! Got NOTHING accomplished after that! Hope today is a more productive day!

Have a great day!

MsRabbott
April 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Oh Blondie, there are times I'm sorely tempted to hop in the car and drive for two days just to give you a hug and say Thank You!! Your cheerful posts always start my day off right and remind me to keep my own sunshine with me!! :)

Lonna
April 7th, 2014, 08:35 AM
Good Morning all,

It is indeed a stormy morning here. So glad to have the day off. Thank you for your wonderful story this morning Blondie. Oh what to do what to do with this day off. I really need to get some cleaning done before we head out for vacation this coming weekend. I have not been on a go away vacation in over 20 years now. But next Saturday I will be going to W.V. for a few days with Sue to visit with her folks. But first I need to get this house in order as my brother will be needing to come in to feed my cats for me. But of course I would rather be sewing. So many projects and so little time to do them all in.

Have a great day all and do at least one thing that makes you happy today.

buckeyequilter
April 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM

No rain here yet but it's in the forecast for later today. Just a little thunderstorm to let us know it's spring, much better than a snowstorm.

I was cleaning leaves, limbs and other debris out of my flower bed yesterday. I sure hope I can do it sooner next year, before the flowers start blooming.....mother nature did not cooperate with us this year. I also made a few pillowcases for Kensington's charity, going to mail them today.

Tonight may just be a lazy night....sewing binding by hand.

Well need to get back to work....have a wonderful day! Prayers and hugs

Mpyles
April 7th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Good morning! Thanks for the story blondie! Reminded me of the time when I was prolly 11 and my sis was 9. We mowed an older couples lawn and they gave us 20.00. It was a huge undertaking and we were greatly rewarded...which we promptly went to the 7-11 and blew on candy. We stayed up half the night eating it until we were sick...literally....it was the night before Easter....ugggh we were green when we got our Easter baskets. Dear sis and I would reminisce about that a lot growing up....lol.

It's off to work today for me! I am moving one of my good managers up to the location I have been trying to straighten out. Hoping having a strong manager their who understands my expectation will help!

Yesterday I worked on a baby quilt. It was an all day project pretty much. Met my mama and brother at Cracker Barrel for breakfast but the rest of the day I spent in the sewing room! Yay!!

Everyone have a great day!!

WendyI
April 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Blondie honey....you need to write a novel. Honestly you are truly gifted....take it from an entirely voracious reader!! Thank you for that awesome tale. All I need is a picture of you when you were little to complete the images you created for me. Thank you.

This past weekend was the most difficult of my life. My DH basically informed me on Wednesday that he has no interest in therapy and we are done. I spent all day Thursday in my office crying...thankfully I have a door. When I could no calm myself down by 2 I came home and spent the next two days in bed staring at the walls. Scott came home after work Thursday and took Liam away to his dads for the entire weekend and I have never felt so alone in my entire life. On Friday night my cousin showed up and spent the remaindr of the weekend trying to take care of me. I just could not get my stuff together. Yesterday at 7:30 I woke to the worst and most painful IBS attack I have ever had and was ill the entire day. I am staying home from work today and trying to see my doctor. I need some time to assimilate and figure out how to explain to my son that he will be another product of a broken home. I would never have dreamed in a million years that this could happen and I am so heart broken for my child. Sorry for such a sad post after such a happy one from Blondieand the rest of you.

I truly do wish you all a fantastic day. PS sorry for weird typos....i am on my iPad!

MayinJerset
April 7th, 2014, 09:35 AM
Oh Wendy, such heart breaking news for you and your son. Remember your friends are always here for you. 72904

Jean Sewing Machine
April 7th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Blondie honey....you need to write a novel. Honestly you are truly gifted....take it from an entirely voracious reader!! Thank you for that awesome tale. All I need is a picture of you when you were little to complete the images you created for me. Thank you.

This past weekend was the most difficult of my life. My DH basically informed me on Wednesday that he has no interest in therapy and we are done. I spent all day Thursday in my office crying...thankfully I have a door. When I could no calm myself down by 2 I came home and spent the next two days in bed staring at the walls. Scott came home after work Thursday and took Liam away to his dads for the entire weekend and I have never felt so alone in my entire life. On Friday night my cousin showed up and spent the remaindr of the weekend trying to take care of me. I just could not get my stuff together. Yesterday at 7:30 I woke to the worst and most painful IBS attack I have ever had and was ill the entire day. I am staying home from work today and trying to see my doctor. I need some time to assimilate and figure out how to explain to my son that he will be another product of a broken home. I would never have dreamed in a million years that this could happen and I am so heart broken for my child. Sorry for such a sad post after such a happy one from Blondieand the rest of you.

I truly do wish you all a fantastic day. PS sorry for weird typos....i am on my iPad!
Oh, Wendy, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I am glad to hear you will get to see your doctor for some medical help to get through these difficult days ahead. Hugs and good thoughts to you and you son.

Monique
April 7th, 2014, 09:44 AM
First of all, sorry Wendy for what you are going through. Hugs to you.

It is a beautiful sunny day here this morning. I went to bed with a sore throat and it is still there this morning. I work later this afternoon for a couple of hours.

Today is a big provincial election day in our province. We will hope for the best.

I will try and get some cleaning done today while hubby is at work.

Have a great day friends.

EnumclawGramma
April 7th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Good Monday Morning! I think we're in for some weather in the upper 70s today. I think we may truly have Spring. I think this might mean I am also supposed to be out in my yard cleaning up Winter. Is that right? Am I? Can't I hire this done? Where is my gardener?

Loved your story this morning Blondie! My hubby fell into something similar mowing a guys yard when he didn't know how. It was a MESS. The guy refused to pay him and DH went home in tears. His older, just returned from VietNam Brother (and I mean JUST. Hours) saw his plight and went out and mowed that lawn again, collected the $ and brought it home to his little brother. This created a bond between them that grew and grew. That big brother was elevated to Idol status!

Wendy, so sad to hear what's going on for you. Please know that we're all praying for you. As hard as it is to believe right now, this will all work out. Honest. Try to focus on the positive today. Even one small thing.....a flower blooming in your yard, a patch of blue in the sky that shows you Spring, something........anything. Find positive. It will help.

I bought myself a Brother CX155LA Laura Ashley limited edition this weekend as a backup for my Singer and I am loving it! For a less pricey machine it's really nice! I got to play with it last night and I have to say.....I am impressed!

My sister is coming on Friday to spend the night with me!! Yay! I haven't had an overnight with her in a couple years. She's been on oxygen for about six months or so. Leaving home has been difficult. She's off it now and coming over! We're going to have a sewing weekend. She sews clothes, I do quilts, so we've both got something to share. She LOVES my sewing room and my stash and I LOVE sharing it!! She's my best girlfriend, and brings me so much joy to spend time with. Can you tell I'm a little excited to do this?

Yoga. Cleaning. Sewing. That's my day. Hopefully! Have a wonderful day, Hugs/Prayers all 'round!

rebeccas-sewing
April 7th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I feel so sad for you Wendy. I hope you have loved ones to give you support for the days ahead. I'm glad you can share with us. It's always good to have a place to go to talk about your problems. A place where no one judges. That's us.

Some very fun stories in this thread. Thanks for sharing them with us. Here's a very brief story. A recent conversation between Joe and me.

"Hey Joe!"

"Yes?"

"I see you have beer in the basement fridge but what are the beer cans that are sitting on the shelf as you go down the stairs into the basement?"

"Those are empties. I buy a beer. I try it. If I like it I stand the empty upright. If I don't I turn it upside down. I try the upside down beer a second time. If I don't like the second can I won't buy it again." It's my system!"

I just shake my head and think to myself, "Yep, he's definitely an engineer!" hahaha

I'm making Weight Watcher's macaroni salad. I think I'll wait until I'm about to serve it to give it a taste. If it's good the recipe goes in the binder. I'm also going to try WW's Chicken Poppers recipe to go with the salad. Thank goodness Joe isn't a picky eater. He's very patient with me trying out new recipes.

Blonde Biker
April 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
So cute, Blondie! Enjoy your Monday. I am going to enjoy the first really warm day here in the Portland/Vancouver area. 73* is predicted. I am going for a ride with 2 of my girlfriends.....and when I say Ride...their are Motorcycles involved! I will sew later this week.

Miss Sheri
April 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM
(((((Wendy!!!)))))
So sorry sweetie! At this point, I would say, you need to talk to someone who can help you with the legal stuff. Protect your assets, bank accounts etc. Don't delay. Glad your cousin is there for you, and recommend you reach out to your clergy, for guidance too.

I too, have loved today's reminiscent stories. They remind me of some great times with my two big brothers, doing yard-work for a little bit of income when we were all pretty young. My husband also, used to take care of one of our older neighbors's lawn for them, and my oldest son (at about 2-3yrs old), would follow along behind with his plastic lawn mower, plastic grocery sack at the back. Every time my husband would stop to empty his grass bag, my son would grab a couple of handfuls of the grass and put it into his "grass bag". It was the cutest thing. It paid off though, when he turned 11, he went out and solicited his own lawns to mow, and my husband, concerned that the customers get a good job, went into 'business' with him. They ended up taking on about 5-6 lawns at first. Each one of our children, including my daughter, (and me too) worked in that little lawn business, expanding it and taking care of most of our older neighbors in the process. It gave us opportunity to work together as a family, stay too busy to get into trouble or bad habits, and taught each child the value of a dollar, because they knew how hard they had to work to earn it. My youngest son is looking at his final summer of the lawn business, which he now does with a couple of friends, as he will be heading out on a church service mission this fall. It has helped pay for 3 missions, and schooling for two of my kids. It is something I will never, ever regret. I still love the smell of fresh cut grass.

Libby, have a wonderful time with your sis!

This weekend, my church held it's world-wide general conference, with inspiring talks and beautiful music. I sat with a quilt in my lap, hand quilting (big stitch or primitive,style) while I watched and listened to the conference. I got a lot done, and felt filled and refreshed. For me, it was a great weekend.

Have a Beautiful Day!

Love, Sheri

Simply Quilting
April 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM
{{{{HUGS}}}} Wendy. So sorry for what you are going through. I agree with Sheri that you need to get a good lawyer to help you with not only the legal stuff and assets but more importantly child custody. More times than I care to have seen, one of the parents will start out friendly with the child custody and will suddenly turn, making it hard for the other to get custody/visitation. And no matter what is said, unless it is in writing, it means nothing. Get everything in writing. We are here for you.

We are looking at possible chance of rain today. I have to go out for a little while, I'm hoping to avoid the rain. I went to a homeschool conference on Saturday. Dad had decided that he didn't want to go all the way to the city so I didn't get to take Mom to look at sewing machines. Maybe another time, we can go.

shermur
April 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Morning', quilty friends!

After working on the back yard (seeding, straw, new flooring in the shed), DH and I pulled up all the flooring in the hallway, LR and stairwell. You never really know how filthy dirty your carpet is until you pull it up! UGH! It told me that my vacuum cleaner isn't worth a dime!
Tonight is first rec softball practice, then we will move all the furniture in the LR late tonight so is it prepped for the carpet people to come tomorrow morning and installing the new!
I pray and hope that all goes well enough for me to spend some time in my sewing room (basement) while the carpet layers are upstairs doing their thing!

auntiemern
April 7th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Blondie, what a wonderful story. I remember very well working for nickles as a kid. Wendy, so sorry what you are going through. Liam will be just fine if his parents handle it right.
Raining here today too. I know I have to go to the PO, but not sure what else. I sewed all weekend. Made pillowcases for Kensington, quilted and got the binding on 2 quilts. I am sure I can find something to do today. Wishing all a blessed day filled with love and laughter. Hugs and blessings to all. Prayers for those in need. Sending up extra for the special people in my life that are in need.

toggpine
April 7th, 2014, 01:52 PM
We had a mixed bag for a weekend here.
It rained on Saturday and I cleaned the milkroom and the rest of the barn. I don't know where all of the junk comes from, but I guess "the barn is the best place to leave it for now" is the mentality of everyone around here. Next will be the clean out that requires a pitch fork and wheelbarrow.

Sunday was drier with a few sunny patches. The kids came over after church and we had fun. Grandson got to visit with the baby goats, who were a little too friendly for his liking. He did love the big goats, as he could pet them without getting jumped on. He really liked to feed them treats and pet their soft noses. We dug out the sidewalk chalk and we drew on the black rubber stall mats. Then one of the goats turned in to a impromptu Easter egg. She seemed to think that the chalk stick felt pretty good scratching her head and face. It will wear off in a day or so, but the kids had fun. The goat, well, she had spots anyway; she's just a little more festive now.
We all needed a good day with some fun in it to deal with the rest of the news that our son and (soon)DIL brought. We'll know more after their meeting with CPS today, but our worst fears may have been on the mark. Grandson's momma has made some poor choices in her life and this may have been the poorest of all. She has two children by 2 fathers and is living with another guy who is NOT the father of either. He isn't currently employed, so he watches the boys while she is at work.
The story is she came home from work and both boys had bruises. The story changed on how they got them, but it involved the boys wrestling with a toy, or our GS running and tripping with it. GS is 2.5 and his brother is 14 months. The bruises were worse the next morning, and to her credit she took the boys to the Dr. The Dr checked them over and called CPS. Baby momma also sent a photo of the kids to her mom who showed them to her physical therapist who called CPS. I have been trying to get the kids to call CPS for weeks, but they didn't want to cause trouble, as baby momma is primary care giver, and can be a pain at "swap the kid" time if she's feeling nasty. They were also afraid that no one would believe GS when he said that the boyfriend did it, as he is so young. My reply was at that age, they haven't learned how to lie yet.
She & the boys are currently staying with her mom, as they are not allowed contact with the boyfriend.
I am praying that the kids get a competent/diligent CPS worker and that this works out. If not, I may be writing you from prison. I don't think I can stand seeing marks like that on that sweet little boy ever again.

I'm going to go out throw hay, scratch the Easter goat, and then come in and sew. I made the family help me tidy up the house yesterday so I'd have the day to play with fabric!

Hugs and good thoughts for everyone today. It sounds like we could all use some.
Cathy

auntiemern
April 7th, 2014, 02:14 PM
We all needed a good day with some fun in it to deal with the rest of the news that our son and (soon)DIL brought. We'll know more after their meeting with CPS today, but our worst fears may have been on the mark. Grandson's momma has made some poor choices in her life and this may have been the poorest of all. She has two children by 2 fathers and is living with another guy who is NOT the father of either. He isn't currently employed, so he watches the boys while she is at work.
The story is she came home from work and both boys had bruises. The story changed on how they got them, but it involved the boys wrestling with a toy, or our GS running and tripping with it. GS is 2.5 and his brother is 14 months. The bruises were worse the next morning, and to her credit she took the boys to the Dr. The Dr checked them over and called CPS. Baby momma also sent a photo of the kids to her mom who showed them to her physical therapist who called CPS. I have been trying to get the kids to call CPS for weeks, but they didn't want to cause trouble, as baby momma is primary care giver, and can be a pain at "swap the kid" time if she's feeling nasty. They were also afraid that no one would believe GS when he said that the boyfriend did it, as he is so young. My reply was at that age, they haven't learned how to lie yet.
She & the boys are currently staying with her mom, as they are not allowed contact with the boyfriend.
I am praying that the kids get a competent/diligent CPS worker and that this works out. If not, I may be writing you from prison. I don't think I can stand seeing marks like that on that sweet little boy ever again.

I'm going to go out throw hay, scratch the Easter goat, and then come in and sew. I made the family help me tidy up the house yesterday so I'd have the day to play with fabric!

Hugs and good thoughts for everyone today. It sounds like we could all use some.
Cathy
I am right there with ya....NO ONE will EVER lay a hand on one of my grand children again, and live to suffer the consequences of prison. JS

pcbatiks
April 7th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Good afternoon to all.......

Blondie........loved the yard raking story!

Wendy........so sorry you are going through this.......will be thinking of you & sending prayers.

Cathy.......will be praying for your family too........for the safest & most loving solution for your grandson.

Our son & his GF have been in Colorado a week now and he has seen more snow this week than he has in his whole life! They seem to be doing well so far......now they get to hunt for jobs!