PDA

View Full Version : CHANGED LOCKS

Rhonda D. Matzker
April 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Several of you know I have been having trouble with my (& auntiemern's niece) who is living in the home we own behind our home. Well today, the straw broke the camel's back. They (her and her idiot, lazy, good for nothing, piece of crap boyfriend) left early Friday to go to Cuba, Missouri (supposedly is grandpa had a heart attack-I don't believe anything they tell me). I get a call at 11 am this morning (Sunday) from my sister (my niece's mom-not my niece) asking me to go let the dog out. They left and made ZERO provisions for the dog. The little guy has been over there for 48 hours with no way to go outside, no food, no water, nothing. She could have sent me a text message asking me to take care of the dog while they were gone.

I went over and got the dog and looked around to check on things and found out the TV that I bought my niece is missing (the boyfriend pawned it), the Wii my sister (niece's mom) bought her grandson is gone (he "CLAIMS" he gave it to some who is putting games on it). They have taken money from my nephew's jingle jar (piggy bank). There are dirty glasses and food all over the place.

auntiemern
April 6th, 2014, 05:27 PM
You have my support. I woulda kicked em to the curb months ago...let me rephrase that....he would have NEVER been allowed to stay there, and if she didn't like it...there's the door.

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Poor dog :( Don't give him back, rotten owners. Well didn't Marilyn tell you to kick them out? Stick to your guns. Maybe pack up their stuff and put it out in the garage. Geesh, how ungrateful.

Slokarma
April 6th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Being a doormat doesn't help anybody, especially YOU! The longer you help these leeches, the longer it will take for them to learn another way of life. Sorry. It hurts, I know, but I also know YOU are not helping at all. Sorry. I know you mean better, but SORRY, it didn't work. Change the locks.

O yeah, Pack that stuff up and have it sitting outside the door. No entrance to the property. Call the law if necessary.

MayinJerset
April 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Good for you!

kensington
April 6th, 2014, 06:06 PM
You may have to let them back in if they decide to fight you. The Law is that you have to give them 30 days notice, even if they have no lease. Because you let them live there. If you have no written agreement with her, he can stay too. It's a 3 ring circus to be a landlord. My MIL is one and her tenants yank her chain all the time. A 30 day eviction usually ends up taking 90 days by the time you serve them, they refuse to leave and you file with the Sheriff to set them out. It's crazy.

In the mean time, they will be able to come and go as they please. Your best hope is that she won't fight you because of your being family. And or that you can sit him out while dealing with getting her out.

I could check on a few things for you, but you may want to research the guidelines in your state. Good Luck

auntiemern
April 6th, 2014, 06:15 PM
I don't think they will fight it....especially now that he knows for sure you have his #. Turn off the internet and cable....they won't stay without that.

buckeyequilter
April 6th, 2014, 06:26 PM
They abandoned the house and the dog. Here in Ohio if you let someone move in and then want them out you have to evict them....unless they leave on their own or abandon the property. Don't let them back in to get anything.

kensington
April 6th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I don't think they will fight it....especially now that he knows for sure you have his #. Turn off the internet and cable....they won't stay without that.

Definitely turn off those if it's in your name. You can turn off the lights too... just not the water, or the heat if it's winter. I would check to be sure about that.

kensington
April 6th, 2014, 06:35 PM
They abandoned the house and the dog. Here in Ohio if you let someone move in and then want them out you have to evict them....unless they leave on their own or abandon the property. Don't let them back in to get anything.

She can't keep their belongings. She has to let them get that stuff out. She may check to see if she can pack it up and sit it out without the Sheriff. There may be more to abandonment than being gone 2 days or a weekend.

kensington
April 6th, 2014, 06:40 PM
http://ago.mo.gov/publications/landlordtenant.pdf

Here is the Missouri Landlord Tenant regulations ... Your answers should be in here. I did read that when she let him move in, you can double any rent she was paying.

But, you can't turn off any utilities unless you have done all notifications required by your agreement.

Slokarma
April 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM

Now that you mention it, I think in Ohio, if they are pregnant, I don't think you can even evict. I heard it, but I'm not sure of it. Thank goodness we got rid of the trailer we had, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a bad luck story tried to rent it, and it took us once to learn to never ever ever do it again. We tore it down.

Rhonda D. Matzker
April 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I have been a landlord since 1999 so I am pretty familiar with all of the laws concerning the eviction process. However, the laws are different if the landlord suspects that there is illegal activity taking place on the premise. The useless POS (we are 98 % sure) broke into the neighbor's house (they broke into her dad's house this past week). I also suspect there are illegal substances being used on the premises. I already told her she could come get her stuff but he was not allowed back down here, not even to bring her down here. He shows up, I'll have him arrested for trespassing. I also told her she could stay but he had to go and was not allowed to come back with her. All I told her was I was changing the locks but not to come back right now because I was po'd about the dog. If she doesn't come back, then she technically left of her own free will.

The little dog is her son's but right now, I don't trust anyone else to take care of him. She is going to have to prove to me that she will take care of the dog and the POS has to be out of the picture.

BellasQuilts
April 6th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Poor pup. You could nail him for animal cruelty for sure. Good on you,changing the locks was a great idea! However, if she's back in, good luck keeping him out. Stick to your guns!

WendyI
April 6th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Without sounding condescending I have to say I am so proud of you for finally doing something about them!! That poor dog!! Thats HORRIFYING what they did! Poor thing. I hope she will grow up and get that loser out of her life. So sad. Stick to your guns! We all support you! And if you can't let Marilyn at them....she'll fix their wee red wagons I'm sure!!

grannyann
April 6th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Good for you . It was bound to happen sooner or later.I agree with what you did changing the locks.

Vonnie
April 6th, 2014, 08:36 PM
If she treated that poor furbaby that way, how is she going to treat that precious baby she's carrying?

AuntieVic
April 6th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Rhonda good job changing the locks. Hang in there, some family members can be difficult to be around.

Simply Quilting
April 6th, 2014, 11:12 PM
The poor puppy. Hopefully, this will be a wake-up call to her. Glad you are standing your ground.

stationarymom
April 7th, 2014, 02:20 AM
take pic's of any damage in the event you have to take them to court. good luck with this matter.

rebeccas-sewing
April 7th, 2014, 04:09 AM
So sad to hear this happening to you, Rhonda. Leaving the dog would be the absolute last straw for me. Find out what you are legally in your rights to do and do it. I wouldn't have any angry words with them. Just be firm and tell them it's not working out for them to live on your property any longer. Changing the locks on the doors was a good first step. That will wake them up for sure. The suggestion to shut down cable is also an excellent idea. Certainly let them know the reasons you want them to move out but try to maintain your cool. They might make things harder for you otherwise. I'm just so angry with them for treating that poor innocent animal so badly.

Mchelem
April 7th, 2014, 07:03 AM
If someone was staying in my house that was family, I wouldn't go through "proper channels" to make them leave. I would tell them to get out and leave their crap on the lawn. Especially if there was no written lease. It would be their word against mine as to how long we agreed on them staying. And if they're as deadbeat as y'all claim, they won't fight it anyway.

Congratulations on standing up for yourself (finally!!)

And in Texas, if you rent, of you're supposed to out the utilities in your name and you don't, the landlord can legally shut them off without notice. All of them. Even in the winter.

rebeccas-sewing
April 7th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I think I would give them a bit of notice. Give them a date when you expect them to be out. If they aren't out when you tell them they need to be out, that's when I'd be packing up their stuff and putting it outside. I would definitely be checking on them and making sure the dog isn't being neglected.

easyquilts
April 7th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I'm with Marilyn.....

Rhonda D. Matzker
April 7th, 2014, 10:00 AM
The dog is good hands now, he is at my house playing with his brother (my Chihuahua Trey). So he is getting plenty of food, exercise, and lovin's now. They are both having a blast tormenting my cats as I type this LOL. Her mother (mine and Marilyn's sister) doesn't want me to pack up her things because she said it isn't my place (this kind of ticked me off). However, there are a few things over that belong to me that I will go get before they start packing up their crap to make sure it doesn't grow legs and take off.

Thank you all for your support in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Vonnie
April 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Hmm, maybe you should tell your niece that her mother wants to take care of her. If your sister is talking about places, then her daughters place is with her mother, not her aunt. :D

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2014, 10:16 AM
It's not your place? What kind of mother let's her dd treat family like a door mat? She should be coming up to clean the mess up. Your losing money too by not having a good tenant in there.

Suzette
April 7th, 2014, 12:40 PM
There are laws against dog abuse and leaving a dog unattended for 48 hour is not only inhumane but illegal. I pray that dog is not returned to them. Poor thing!

IBake
April 7th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Just don't let the poor pup suffer...it's not his fault that he has lousy owners..........

Sheena
April 8th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Although I feel sorry for you, I think you should check with your state's laws asap. I live in England and I'm a landlord but our laws are different from yours.

Here, changing the locks can lead to a heavy fine.

Is there an advice centre you can go to for free advice? Or your local council?

I know how frustrating it is for you - I've had bad tenants too.

To leave that poor doggie on his own is probably indicative of the kind of selfish and uncaring people they are.

BellasQuilts
April 8th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Good idea on getting your stuff and keeping the dog!
Hope all is well.

The dog is good hands now, he is at my house playing with his brother (my Chihuahua Trey). So he is getting plenty of food, exercise, and lovin's now. They are both having a blast tormenting my cats as I type this LOL. Her mother (mine and Marilyn's sister) doesn't want me to pack up her things because she said it isn't my place (this kind of ticked me off). However, there are a few things over that belong to me that I will go get before they start packing up their crap to make sure it doesn't grow legs and take off.

Thank you all for your support in this matter. It is greatly appreciated.

Sixtop
April 9th, 2014, 07:55 PM
The animal cruelty alone is illegal and if they are raising children in a filthy home, you might want to call child services on them as well. Plus all the other junk that is going on, it's despicable.

Jackiegross
April 10th, 2014, 12:42 PM
You have a hard road....I will send all the positive energy I can.

Jackie

lauratreky@comcast.net
April 10th, 2014, 01:16 PM
Call animal control and let them know they left the dog without food or water or access to the outdoors for two days. Do not let them have that dog back!

madampolo
April 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I would evict them.